Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subjects for repeating

• 19-08-2011 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

First of all congratulations to everyone for finishing the leaving cert :D I hope you all got what you needed. Me on the other hand, i didn't. I didn't fail anything and did reasonably well, but I didn't get enough points. Pending the viewing of my scrips, it looks like I'll be repeating. The point of repeating is to get more points so that i can get the course i want. The subjects i'll do if i have to repeat are English (H), History (H)(Maybe), Home Ec (H), Spanish (H), Biology (H) and I'm going to take up Ag Science (H). I want to know what would be a good 7th subject, 6th if i don't repeat History, that i can do in a year. I will probably only do 6, but I'm worried that if 1 paper is bad its going to mess up my points! Id appreciate any help :D Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Applied maths is always a good one if you are anyway good at maths (high OL standard should suffice). It doesn't take too much work (it does take a bit of course). The paper has 10 questions (topics never change) and you answer 6, so you really only need to cover 7 or 8 questions to be well covered. The method to answering each question is pretty set which makes things that bit easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

I'd say depending on your own interests and aptitudes either Geography (would possibly compliment Ag Science slightly and make studying both easier), or else either Business/Economics?

I wouldn't suggest a language or a science subject though, they wouldn't be advisable to do in one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Lexii307

I want to do 6 honors subjects to maximise my points as i did 2 pass subjects for this year. I was thinking of maybe economics or phys/chem. I never liked geography and there is only 1 good teacher in the school and she is a nightmare. She acts as if its the only subject you do and i already will have to do project in at least 2 if not 3 subjects already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bobbymurphy92

im repeating too i got 385 needed 420 business ruined me
    im doing
    english course changed in terms of comparatve could be hard
    geog
    business
    bio
    econ
    irish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

im repeating too i got 385 needed 420 business ruined me
    im doing
    english course changed in terms of comparatve could be hard
    geog
    business
    bio
    econ
    irish

hamlet is on again next year, kavanagh, boland, frost, rich, so its not too bad:)
    the comparitives are going to be all different unfortunately unless your lucky:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Definitely do business and geography. Geography definitely needs the work to be put in to it. I got a b3 last year but went to an A2 this year with some good study.

English is doable too. I got a b3 last year and did it this year,new poets and Hamlet had me really worried but got an A1

Does anyone know if chemistry is possible to do in a year. I'm just thinking that if i do chemistry i have a lot more options available to me. Id only need a HC3. I mightn't do it but i'm just curious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Lexii307 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if chemistry is possible to do in a year. I'm just thinking that if i do chemistry i have a lot more options available to me. Id only need a HC3. I mightn't do it but i'm just curious

i really really wouldn't recommend it sorry, its not the kind of course you can rush through you have to really understand it, no quick jobs, and in my opinion this just cant be done in a year, what are your other options?:)

Like i said before, i'm definitely doing ag science and i was thinking then maybe economics or phys/chem. I was going to have a look and the papers and ask people who have done them, just to get their opinion and how hard the courses are

I did economics this year and thought it was handy. Then I got a b3 in it-my worst result. Opinions seems to be that it was marked hard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 0987654321

Following subjects are easily doable in one year:
    Religion
    Ag Science
    Engineering

Don't worry about English course changing slightly.....When I repeated I had to cover Hamlet and Dickinson....was grand ...w.ent from a B3 to an A1....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Could i repeat 3 subjects and then carry my best 3 results of this years exams towards the results next year with the other 3 i repeated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 0987654321

C__MC wrote: »
    Could i repeat 3 subjects and then carry my best 3 results of this years exams towards the results next year with the other 3 i repeated

You cannot carry on points from previous years.....only requirments such as specific grades needed for admissions.

For example, if you needed say a C3 in Maths for your course and you got your C3 (or higher, obviously), you neednt sit maths again.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Ive decided that for repeating i'll do English (H), History (H)(still maybe), Biology (H), Home Ec (H), Spanish (H), Ag Science, (H) and Economics (H)

I think you're making a mistake not doing business.

Advertisement