Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon down yet again !!!!!!!!!!!

Options
  • 19-08-2011 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

I need to do a few hours work urgently in dry weather. The radar suggests that a clearance is coming soon so I start getting some gear together. I need one last look to confirm that the rain is over and..........Shannon goes down :mad:

Please ME do not spend a cent on dresses for presenters until Shannon is reliably repaired.

EDIT: posting here worked & Shannon is back - gosh the power of Boards !

Dublin was down at 11am in case you Dubs are smirking !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Discodog wrote: »
    I need to do a few hours work urgently in dry weather. The radar suggests that a clearance is coming soon so I start getting some gear together. I need one last look to confirm that the rain is over and..........Shannon goes down :mad:

Please ME do not spend a cent on dresses for presenters until Shannon is reliably repaired.

EDIT: posting here worked & Shannon is back - gosh the power of Boards !

Dublin was down at 11am in case you Dubs are smirking !

Ah get over yourself, the radar regularly goes down for short periods of time and comes back. ME are not in charge of the maintenance either. So I highly doubt your heroic posting here has achieved anything. I would also like to see your evidence that ME are funding dresses for it's presenters.

Yet again we see ill informed trivial and bullshíte attacks on ME

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Met contracted the OAM out to some shower who evidently take a chillaxed view of what an SLA should be in a wet country. :D

We would not care if we had enough radars, bring on the new ones in Mt Gabriel and Dooncarton.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    ME are not in charge of the maintenance either.
    Yet again we see ill informed trivial and bullshíte attacks on ME

ME are totally in charge because they appointed the maintenance company. ME's radar fiascos have literally cost me money. On Friday I had to guess that there was no more rain out to the West & that guess proved wrong so a ten mile drive & two hours were wasted.

Try working outdoors in a weather sensitive occupation & you might see things a little differently. For most here the radar is an interest but for some it is an absolute essential especially now during the busy harvesting period.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

ME are totally in charge because they appointed the maintenance company. ME's radar fiascos have literally cost me money. On Friday I had to guess that there was no more rain out to the West & that guess proved wrong so a ten mile drive & two hours were wasted.

Try working outdoors in a weather sensitive occupation & you might see things a little differently. For most here the radar is an interest but for some it is an absolute essential especially now during the busy harvesting period.

I know many people who are currently harvesting and don't use the radar EVER. They go by TV forecasts and use common sense when they go outside, dark clouds, expect rain, sunshine, work away and so on. Why guess about rain when there are COUNTLESS forecasts online that describe the likely hoods of that day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

John.Icy wrote: »
    I know many people who are currently harvesting and don't use the radar EVER. They go by TV forecasts and use common sense when they go outside, dark clouds, expect rain, sunshine, work away and so on. Why guess about rain when there are COUNTLESS forecasts online that describe the likely hoods of that day?

And many insist on paying for weatherdial when the information is available online for free . . . :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

John.Icy wrote: »
    Why guess about rain when there are COUNTLESS forecasts online that describe the likely hoods of that day?

Because they are projections whereas the rainfall radar actually shows what is on the way, how much rain there is & when it will arrive. I know farmers, window cleaners, gardeners etc who all use the radar.

On Friday the forecasts said that the rain would stop sometime. The radar will tell you when it will stop to within about 15 mins - no forecast can do this. If Shannon is down then the online forecasts may well be wrong as they also rely on it. I wonder if we could get the UK Met to pay part of the cost of a new radar as it would be of great benefit to them ?

Watching the real rain moving across the country is 1000 times more accurate than likelihoods.

And many insist on paying for weatherdial when the information is available online for free . . . :rolleyes:

Probably because the radio forecasts are so vague & are then always followed with an advert for weatherdial.

Watching the real rain moving across the country is 1000 times more accurate than likelihoods.

Except that it's not that accurate, often shows rain where there is none, or vice versa or has the intensity way off.

How often do I have to say it :(

We needs more radars for proper resolution and not down in a hole at sea level like the one in Shannon.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    How often do I have to say it :(

We needs more radars for proper resolution and not down in a hole at sea level like the one in Shannon.

It's a bit of a farce that half of wales is better covered by the Irish one than Donegal all right.

• Advertisement

There is nothing wrong with covering the Irish sea and getting good resolution for Wales along with UKMO radars of course.

The stupidity comes from not having proper radar coverage ON THE ATLANTIC WHERE OUR WEATHER COMES FROM.

We could easily pop one into Dooncarton NW Mayo and another into Mount Gabriel SW Cork where the IAA has high up radomes in situ already. The Burren and hills in Clare is all between me and Shannon and I get a lot of anomalous readings...even if it is working.

Dooncarton is less than 15 years old and is Irelands most handsome radar station by a long shot. But no weather radar, yet!

dooncarton.jpg

Advertisement