Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In car camera - anyone here have one?

• 19-08-2011 12:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking the last while that I have witnessed so much bad driving the last year and had a few close calls.

The latest being Tuesday evening when I was driving along on my way back from a friends house only for to have some boyracer appear in my rear view mirror. I was thinking to myself what a nob, don't react to him, anyway I was about 3km/s from home and it was obvious the knob behind wanted a race but I was having none of it and was travelling away at about 95km/h.

The dirty little scumbag then overtook me going straight into a blind turn, he literally overtook without any view and as the road is quite busy it was about a 50:50 chance but luckily for all of us nothing was coming. I was so angry as my mother and sister are often walking along this road and any pedestrian would have been mown down or killed should there have been a car crash. I didn't react as I was nearly home but was so angry and shocked that I forgot to get his reg as I would have straight reported him to the Gardai and sworn on him in court for what he did.

I know the car and have seen it around so will get his details eventually but its too late now obviously. This sort of sh1te has been happening to me alot recently and the only thing I can put it down to is me driving a 3 series BMW and every other knob wanting to prove his worth in some junkbox.

So, these are my reasons for getting an in car cam and I have been doing the research and the RoadHawk seems to be the market leader however it is lacking in resolution and only records in SD crappovision, which would make identifying the licence plate alot harder to id the offender in the above situation. Otherwise its a nice system and ticks all my boxes.

I have found the HawkEye which is a very similar system, except it is 1080p giving a far better quality picture allowing for easy reg identification and would be better evidence if you were to go to court in the event of an accident or pursuing some idiot like above.

They all seem to be in the region of around €300 but I don't mind paying that and would get it stealthily installed around the rearview mirror by an auto electrician.

Any ideas, suggestions or experiences with car cams?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'd be interested in this myself..that amount of bad drivers I've come across is frightening.
    Let me know how you find it if you decide to go ahead and get it.

I also notice that the roadhawk is limited to 5 min clips...not sure if it cuts off or instead starts with a new file for the next 5 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I bought one for about 50 quid on ebay after a week or so of being subjected to serious assholes on the roads.

It doesn't do any of the gnarly stuff roadhawk does like measure acceleration (i.e. for sudden stops) or GPS but it's a basic hi def camera run on 12V and it loops every 15 mins automagically

Havent installed it yet mind you. Want to set it for autorecord like when you turn the key.

Really must get that installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I've been using the Dailyroads App for my Android phone. Very impressive piece of kit for free. Somebody here tipped me off to it after a thread on an attempted insurance scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I use a GoPro with a skeleton housing so that I can keep it plugged in. Not discreet and not cheap but can be used for a lot of other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭txpjl

Try a Gopro HD Hero (can be found on Amazon). Waterproof also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Doesn't look like the Gopro has automatic overwrite facility( I can't find it on the web). I think this would be essential for recording in the car.

T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 pconnolly79

Check out www.taxicam.ie
    Few Taxidrivers out there are installing them to deter attacks and same deal of accident scams.

They seem to have exactly what you are looking for and it records at night also.
    Cheaper than a road hawk but a bit dearer than Skyking's one.

Worth a look

Check out www.taxicam.ie
    Few Taxidrivers out there are installing them to deter attacks and same deal of accident scams.

They seem to have exactly what you are looking for and it records at night also.

Worth a look

Took a look at the Taxicam. Not much info on resolution on the site. Looking at the video clip, numberplate recognition would be difficult.

T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I posted in another thread recently of my frustrations with the brick like nature of in car camera. Not very stealthy and potential theft targets if you ask me.

Cams for adventure sports seem to be far in advance.
    Spotted this little beaut:
    http://contour.com/products/contour-gps
    Only I don't know if it loop records.

the hawkeye looks interesting I'll have to check it out but I'll probably just download that android app to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Check out www.taxicam.ie

Worth a look

Taxi prices also. The same piece of kit is €70 on E-Bay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Hawkeye cheaper here:
    http://www.euroworld-international.co.uk/contact-us-2-w.asp

I don't understand with these in car cameras why there seem to be loads of amateurish websites selling them and yet they are not on the bigger website. Seems all a bit multi-level-marketing to me. I've also notcied alot of rebranding going on. I've seen an identical looking camera to this Hawkeye on a US site not branded in that name.
    i.e
    http://dash-camera.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=268
    and here is an almost identical page:
    http://stuntcams.com/shop/1080p-mini-dash-camera-google-maps-p-268.html?osCsid=62b155d458e002b1f00674a3f0a58d89

I mean whats going on here ? None of this inspires confidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

This is the view from my one:

attachment.php?attachmentid=7430&stc=1&d=1309267559

Stuff to look out for before buying:

Frames Per Second (i.e. FPS) make sure its 20 or above. 25fps is what we normally see on TV. Any slower, and you get jumpy video because its not real time. Not a huge deal but the closer to real time the better.

Quality - Be sure your shooting good quality. HD if possible. A lot of the eBay models are labelled HD, but are far from it. Its a gamble to be honest.

Night Time - Try get a demo of night time video as poor quality cameras lead to poor results.

My one does about 20fps and the quality is as you see above. You won't get a reg unless your behind the car, quite close. Thats the case with most of them due to the lens characteristics (Wide angle etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭reiger

heres what you want broadcast quality in car cameras chat Terry http://www.svsproductions.com/incar_cameras.html:D

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

That android app looks good ^ If your into tinkering with stuff you could get a cheap netbook and some 720p or 1080p webcams and have them front and rear, you could use them for parking too! Might be a nice project

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Antikythera

Stinicker wrote: »
    I was about 3km/s

That's pretty quick. What were you driving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭golfpaul

I have a road hawk in mine. It's very easy to do a stealth install in only a couple of minutes. I used a tap-a-fuse/tap-a-circuit (http://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-HHH-ATM-Add-A-Fuse/dp/B000GKEXK2/ref=pd_sim_auto_3) to connect directly into the fuse box. Pick one of the circuits that come on when ignition is turned on. I just used a credit card to push the wire behind the trim all the way from the rear view mirror down the front pillar and down to the fuse box. Very easy to install.

ironclaw wrote: »
    This is the view from my one:

attachment.php?attachmentid=7430&stc=1&d=1309267559

Stuff to look out for before buying:

Frames Per Second (i.e. FPS) make sure its 20 or above. 25fps is what we normally see on TV. Any slower, and you get jumpy video because its not real time. Not a huge deal but the closer to real time the better.

Quality - Be sure your shooting good quality. HD if possible. A lot of the eBay models are labelled HD, but are far from it. Its a gamble to be honest.

Night Time - Try get a demo of night time video as poor quality cameras lead to poor results.

My one does about 20fps and the quality is as you see above. You won't get a reg unless your behind the car, quite close. Thats the case with most of them due to the lens characteristics (Wide angle etc)

Hi IronClaw

What model are you using?

T.

TigerTim wrote: »
    Hi IronClaw

What model are you using?

T.

Its along the lines of this one here:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/2GB-G-sensor-Car-DVR-Camera-Blackbox-Dash-Recorder-GPS-/180666131386?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a108a63ba

Don't be fooled by all the eBay nonsense, essentially every single one is the same. Unless you spend good money, your not going to get amazing results. I bought mine purely as a €100 punt in case of an insurance claim that could cost €1000 either way. The only disadvantage of that model is you have no rear view. It does have a neat GPS and G-Shock sensor though.

A camera for day/night operations like in a car with varying light conditions can be a nightmare even for advanced systems.

My advice is if you have a higher end motor, and your serious about looking after it, invest in a DVR for the boot and wire it with decent, discrete cameras. Preferably Black & White cameras as you'll get better images at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Not a bad option here if people are looking (I have bought off this site on a few occasions an never any issues)
    http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=111548&r=20111014

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They also help in defending spurious allegations from the police and their private henchmen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

I use a basic ebay €40 camera mounted behind rearview mirror and it does the job. quality is good enough for reading reg in front and it has a surprisingly wide-angled lens. I know you can spend a lot more but if it's something functional you need, some of the cheap ebay camera's are more than sufficient.

I'll get some footage uploaded later so you can see for yourselves.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/280732224598

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Yes, I have one (there is no brand on it). It looks similar to this one (http://www.amazon.com/Dash-Dual-Camera-Mini-System/dp/B002XXHPIC). I brought two years ago. I did not buy through ebay as they were expensive and did not have the quality I wanted. I one pick one up in the US. The main reason for the camera, was because of dangerous and careless Mothers, especially in the Morning school run and evening Strollers with buggies with the child put out infront of traffic without a care in the world. You need video evidence to to go to the guards / HSE and officials are extremely bias towards females in any male/female conflict.

The reverse camera can see who is driving, mainly me, what I am doing and where my eyes are looking, also keeping the third eye of what my passengers are doing in the back therefore I can keep my eyes on the road and punish them later using video evidence in my own mini trial.
    Several situations over my long life taught me, when conflicts arise, Mothers with young kids not only lie their ass off but use their kids as cannon fodder to attack others (verbally and emotionally and sometimes physically), especially in public places and feel justified in doing not only to get their way but also to get out of trouble themselves for acts of their own making.
    That why I have an in-car camera with it in two directions and accelerometers and gps recording. Mine have 32gb memory (several days of driving) and will recorded over the oldest stuff and keep incidence the accelerometers recorder that exceeded a threshold or keep the 5 mins recording a certain button is pressed. I can take the card out and put it into my computer and view the recording and copy the ones I want to keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

limklad wrote: »
    the guards / HSE and officials are extremely bias towards females in any male/female conflict.
    Mothers with young kids not only lie their ass off but use their kids as cannon fodder to attack others (verbally and emotionally and sometimes physically), especially in public places and feel justified in doing not only to get their way but also to get out of trouble themselves for acts of their own making.

Fairly sweeping statements don't you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

BuzzFish wrote: »
    Witness myself to state claim and willing to testify in Court. Good mothers do not use their kids to hurts others. Abusive and manipulative Mothers have no problems. That why I have a video camera in the Car. Also It records Sounds, Very Very useful, especially in Court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

BuzzFish wrote: »
    It is a fact of living in Ireland. Holy mary mother of god etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dodgydes

Witness myself to state claim and willing to testify in Court. Good mothers do not use their kids to hurts others. Abusive and manipulative Mothers have no problems. That why I have a video camera in the Car. Also It records Sounds, Very Very useful, especially in Court.

I was just wondering what the legal situation is regarding these cameras, is the footage admissible in a court?

Also, what is the legal situation regarding uploading a video to the web with someones reg no. clearly visible on it, especially of you are saying bad things about them and their driving skills?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Why would there be an issue with uploading something you captured on a public road. Also, expressing your opinion on a video isn't a crime, is it ?

I was just wondering what the legal situation is regarding these cameras, is the footage admissible in a court?

I'm open to correction, but I'm fairly sure if its a digital system, it cannot be admitted into court. At least that was the case with digital photography a number of years ago. I'd imagine if you wanted to admit it as evidence, you'd have to surrender the memory card to the Garda at the scene, preservation of evidence etc. Or at least let it be known that you recorded it. Or be able to show it to the Garda at the scene.

Frankly the whole point of having one is on the odd occasion you are accused of being in the wrong when you are in the right, even a whiff of the fact you have the whole thing on tape would normally see the other party drop it altogether. If they persist, well your on to one hell of a winner.

I'd be interested in asking, anyone of a legal stance, can a court / investigation request or demand the footage regardless of the injured / accused party?
    Also, what is the legal situation regarding uploading a video to the web with someones reg no. clearly visible on it, especially of you are saying bad things about them and their driving skills?

Personally would be against it unless the plate was blurred. Nothing to say the car in question was being driven by their son, daughter or stolen and as such driving in a manor which would be unfaithful to the true owner of the car. As I always say, imagine it was you in question. Would be even more against calling it "01 XX 1234" in the title of YouTube or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

There is an iPhone app called 'icar black box' in the app store. I downloaded the lite version just now so I can try it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

<snip advertisment>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I'm a long term user of Roadhawk and have uploaded vids to youtube of various stuff happening over the last few years. It is not that good regarding recording regs unless the reg is up close(directly in front of you).

Even though its not hd quality, it does do the job for example of recording on a sunny day at 30fps with a few clouds crystal clear. On security, its obvious its hanging from your windscreen but I have a habit of throwing it into the glovebox when i'm parked. As from previous vids I posted here, the gardai have never noticed it yet, think their eyes at checkpoints do be focussed instead with one eye on the driver and the other eye on the tax disc ;):)

I did research trying to source a HD cam before(1 yr ago) but they were too expensive plus getting a cam wired up has to tick all the boxes like being discreet, cycle recording and obvious connection to the cigarette socket.
    ironclaw wrote:
    Personally would be against it unless the plate was blurred. Nothing to say the car in question was being driven by their son, daughter or stolen and as such driving in a manor which would be unfaithful to the true owner of the car. As I always say, imagine it was you in question. Would be even more against calling it "01 XX 1234" in the title of YouTube or whatever.

I've never blurred the regs in my videos nor have I mentioned the reg in any description. The only time when I have to blur the reg out is when there is a legal issue involved and that has not happened yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Homer wrote: »
    <snip advertisment - please PM Homer for details of his Roadhawk promotion>

I would say a lot of the lads would be intrested. Better to ask on of the mods first though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

I bought a cheap camera on ebay delivered + customs etc for €42.

Its no roadhawk but it clear enough to see whats going on which is all thats needed really. And its got a 2 inch LCD so you can look at the recordings without having to connect to a laptop.

Day:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheNissandoctor?feature=mhee#p/a/u/1/UuJBDGkHSAg

Night:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheNissandoctor?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/oLYzBqGFk6g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭skibum

I bought a cheap camera on ebay delivered + customs etc for €42.

what make / model camera did you get? any currently available on ebay?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

<snip shilling>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

The next person who tries to sell their wares on this thread gets a permaban.

skibum wrote: »
    what make / model camera did you get? any currently available on ebay?
    Thanks

Here is the one I got, from the same seller although it had a free shipping offer when I got it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250949025716?item=250949025716&pt=Car_Audio_Video&cmd=ViewItem&hash=item3a6dba3fb4&vxp=mtr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

Here is the one I got, from the same seller although it had a free shipping offer when I got it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250949025716?item=250949025716&pt=Car_Audio_Video&cmd=ViewItem&hash=item3a6dba3fb4&vxp=mtr

Just had a wee look on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-NIGHT-VISION-VIDEO-CAMERA-RECORDER-CCTV-HD-DVR-TFT-2-5-LCD-ROAD-ACCIDENT-/270867813099?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f10fad2eb#ht_6595wt_1148

Seems to be the same one, posted from the UK.
    Comes in about 36 or so yoyos, and no customs to worry about.

"I have nothing to do with the seller, just posting a link"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

i just use my video camera function on my iphone4 .the phone sits on a dash mount.plus you can record your whole journey with no overwrite loop
    can be tough on the battery but i leave it plugged into the 12v

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

The voice of a strangled angel ! :P

Nice footage from that cam and especially for the price you paid !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

MugMugs wrote: »
    The voice of a strangled angel ! :P

:o
    gurramok wrote: »
    Overtaking 4 cars? :)

The nightcam is not as good quality though?

I genuinely didn't didn't break 100kph to overtake them all, lead car was a crawler.

Its not great quality, but even more expensive cameras are not a lot better tbh.
    IMO you'd still be able to see anything that happened to your own car in it and for €42, you can't complain.

Hi,

Anyone buy one of these cheap DVR's, HD Portable DVR with 2.5" TFT LCD screen. I bought one & while the video quality isn't bad, the DVR regularly freezes & I have to pop the battery out to reset. Happens every morning if I leave the camera in the car. Seems ok if I bring it into the house with me. Could be temperature related. Anyone have a manual written in decent English? In my manual, at the very end, is says the DVR may hang & if it does the following is the advice if anyone can understand it - "DVR will restart after press Reset Hole gently by diameter less than 1mm column". Now there's some instruction. I guess there's a reset hole somewhere but I can't find it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250949025716...ba3fb4&vxp=mtr

T.

Advertisement