Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear & lost password

Options
  • 19-08-2011 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi all,

Hope someone might be able to help me. I got UPC wireless broadband about 3 years ago. Have since moved house & transferred UPC account with me but in the move lost the original box for the router that had the password written on it. So I called UPC to get the password and they told me I need to contact Netgear as the router manufacturer. So I called netgear & they want €70 for a support contract from me to give me my password. Ridiculous! I called UPC again & told them it was disgraceful as they are my provider but they say the only thing I can do is to buy a new router.

Is there any other option? Or should I go to a better provider?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

What model of Netgear router is it. What password are you looking for, is it the password for the wireless network or the password to access the admin page on the router, or does the UPC connection require a password to connect to the internet?

Unless the UPC connection requires a password just moving the router to a new internet connection should not require any changes and all your equipment should just function the same as before the move.

If the UPC connection requires a password then UPC should supply it along with any other connection details.

If the latter is the case then you would need to access the router's admin page which does require a user name and password, in order to configure the connection details.

On my Netgear WGR614 the admin page is at 192.168.1.1 and the default user name and password are printed on the label on the underside of the router. The defaults factory setings are username = admin and password = password. The router can be reset to the factory settings if needed but you shouldn't reset it unless you have all the configuration settings you need.

Also once you have it set up you should change the password from the default value 'password' to something more secure.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you tried accessing the netgear using an ethernet cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Maggie Simpson

FSL wrote: »
    What model of Netgear router is it. What password are you looking for, is it the password for the wireless network or the password to access the admin page on the router, or does the UPC connection require a password to connect to the internet?

Unless the UPC connection requires a password just moving the router to a new internet connection should not require any changes and all your equipment should just function the same as before the move.

If the UPC connection requires a password then UPC should supply it along with any other connection details.

If the latter is the case then you would need to access the router's admin page which does require a user name and password, in order to configure the connection details.

On my Netgear WGR614 the admin page is at 192.168.1.1 and the default user name and password are printed on the label on the underside of the router. The defaults factory setings are username = admin and password = password. The router can be reset to the factory settings if needed but you shouldn't reset it unless you have all the configuration settings you need.

Also once you have it set up you should change the password from the default value 'password' to something more secure.

It's a WGR614v9. The UPC connection require a password to connect to the internet - it says 'type the network security key'.

I can plug in directly to me PC but then there's not much point having wireless & also can't use the network for my smartphone.

With it plugged directly into the PC type 192.168.1.1 into your browser. This will connect to the router admin page. If you have never set an admin password then the username is admin and the password is password. (or whatever is printed on the bottom of the router)

Click on the wireless settings tab on the left hand side. In this you can set the wireless SSID (name) choose wpa/psk for the security. In notepad type a suitably secure password. Then copy and paste this into the passphrase. Save the password so you can then copy and paste it into the wireless connection details on your PC and laptops (if any). You can also enter it into your phone.

You can then print the password, store it in a secure place and delete the notepad file.

Once you are happy that everything is fine, you should then go back into the admin page of the router and under the maintenance section choose set password. Enter password as the old password and a new password, which you have written down and are about to store in a safe place, as the new password.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Maggie Simpson

FSL wrote: »
    With it plugged directly into the PC type 192.168.1.1 into your browser. This will connect to the router admin page. If you have never set an admin password then the username is admin and the password is password. (or whatever is printed on the bottom of the router)

Click on the wireless settings tab on the left hand side. In this you can set the wireless SSID (name) choose wpa/psk for the security. In notepad type a suitably secure password. Then copy and paste this into the passphrase. Save the password so you can then copy and paste it into the wireless connection details on your PC and laptops (if any). You can also enter it into your phone.

You can then print the password, store it in a secure place and delete the notepad file.

Once you are happy that everything is fine, you should then go back into the admin page of the router and under the maintenance section choose set password. Enter password as the old password and a new password, which you have written down and are about to store in a safe place, as the new password.

I'm obviously doing something wrong - I have a cable running from PC to the yellow porthole at the back of the router. But I can't open that URL - using IE and can't display the page. Should I also be conected to the UPC box the black one)

Sorry am clueless about this.

• Advertisement

From a command prompt type ipconfig the default gateway is the address of the router. The newer routers may have a different address.

In any case the address should be on the label on the bottom of the router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It helps if you remember that the netgear has absolutely nothing to do with UPC.

UPC supply your bb signal to the cable modem. The netgear can then take that signal and broadcasts it via a wireless network which you create.

You create that wireless network as per the instructions above. You shouldn't have the netgear connected to the upc modem during setup.

During set up the ethernet cable should go from the pc or laptop to one of the ports - 1-4 - the port that is sort of emphasized or slightly detached is for connection to the UPC modem.

Also have a look here:

http://documentation.netgear.com/wgr614v9/enu/202-10308-01/WGR614v9-03-4.html

Advertisement