Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sperm Whale beached at Ring peninsula

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Hope they didn't do this anyway:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

It will be rendered by clover meats in waerford. It will ultimately end up as blood and bone meal.

first it will be taken to the site and it will have the blubber and skin flensed away. then it will be dismembered into pieces whcih vcan be handled by a loader or forklift. It will be fed into a large grinder type of machine and made into a pulp which then goes into a continuous process cooker, and comes out the other end as blood and bone meal. During cooking the fats oils and greases (FOGs) will be drained and collected, this material is called tallow. It goes to make cutting oils, and lubricants. The tallow is also used in the factory to fuel the cooking abd boiler processes so its actually quite eco-friendly process.

Did you know that this is the process also which deals with dead / sick farm animals and dogs which are put down by the pounds.

since its so large, most of the flensing and dismembering would have to be done by hand - a smelly and grizzly job.

I used to do some building maintenance work in a rendering plant and the process is quite intersting, bloated carcasses go in one end of a line through a hopper and meat and bone meal comes out the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

just learned its going to be mechanically flensed with a materials handler due to the risk of gasses

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

It will be rendered by clover meats in waerford. It will ultimately end up as blood and bone meal.
    I've just heard they may be giving away some of the end product......

/brings new meaning to the term "free Willie"....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

There was a JCB type digger and an excavator required to put the whale into the trailer/skip and then brought to Waterford.

I can get photos of the loading of it if anyone wants to see, I can put them up 2 moro.

When it was weighed in was 9 and half tonne.

• Advertisement
Advertisement