Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cow grinding teeth

• 19-08-2011 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

had vet with a heifer on monday, she had a temperature ,heart etc was fine but she had a bit of a blow... vet put her on marbocyl10% and also gave her flnixin(sp) , anyway cow is no better gone off food and grinding her teeth... i rang vet this morning and she is off for the weekend, senior partner is on holidays and the other vet is totally crap, she said to get noroclav and more fluxinin(sp) i also got 2 magnet and put them in her, anyone ever have a cow grinding their teeth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

whelan1 wrote: »
    had vet with a heifer on monday, she had a temperature ,heart etc was fine but she had a bit of a blow... vet put her on marbocyl10% and also gave her flnixin(sp) , anyway cow is no better gone off food and grinding her teeth... i rang vet this morning and she is off for the weekend, senior partner is on holidays and the other vet is totally crap, she said to get noroclav and more fluxinin(sp) i also got 2 magnet and put them in her, anyone ever have a cow grinding their teeth?

Don't want to be too pessimistic here and have never seen it in one of my own but have heard from several people that grinding teeth is a dire warning. Can't shed any more light on it than that but I think I'd be getting some sort of vet ASAP.

Easy to say in my shoes of course - best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

just wondering how long it would take the noroclav and flunixin i have given her half an hour ago to work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

she,s in pain some where along the way.
    good case to throw in a magnet, anti flam, and pain killer. then find the source, usually internal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

+1
    Ya, grinding teeth is a sign she's in pain.

have put calf crunch , milk , lovely silage-that i would almost eat myself- and ivy in with her , she touched nothing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

stomach problems - grinding, have you given her any appetite stimulus products? I would be getting some yeast into the old girl, try and the the stomach bacteria up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

it sounds like indigestion, was she off food in the last few days, also when did she calf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Finno59 wrote: »
    it sounds like indigestion, was she off food in the last few days, also when did she calf?

your biggest pack of rennies please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

we had a cow with the exact same problem i wouldn't say your vet is on the ball there .....your cow prob has a sour stomack from some tin she picked up in her feed (as ours did and the vet diagnosed her wrong and said she had a chill) ......id give her natural yougurts mixed with rumen powders to get her stomack going again........she should start to chew her chud again within a few hours ;)

Finno59 wrote: »
    she calved monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

did she cleanse okay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Has she passed any dung?

cleaned fine, has passed dung... looks a bit brighter now, just gave her chanatol, stimulex and coffee, cant be said that i am not doing my best here:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

keep giving stimulex , 2 a day for 3 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

give her calcium, calved monday -sick since, more like milk fever to me

invicta wrote: »
    worth a try but dont think its milk fever- seems alot more relaxed now

more or less the same today.. i also gave her zanil the other day... going to give her stimulex and coffee again when i go out, also got injections earlier and chanatol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Try a drop of beer! I know it sounds a bit mad, but it will help her stomach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

invicta wrote: »
    worth a try but dont think its milk fever- seems alot more relaxed now

meant to say that last night, a vet who I have a lot of respect for, once told me if in doubt give calcium

more or less the same today.. i also gave her zanil the other day... going to give her stimulex and coffee again when i go out, also got injections earlier and chanatol

the same vet also told me zanil can be severe and never ever exceed the max dosage (forget off hand) even if the animal is a ton weight.

could be post calving stress and zanil combined

as above keep on to the coffee and stimulex and maybe a glass of wine (for yourself !!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Ya, I dont think Zanil would be the right thing to be giving a cow that's in pain. It is supposed to hard on the stomach so really more as of a preventative treatment (for fluke - liver and stomach).

• Advertisement

the reason i gave her the zanil is/was she has a swelling under her jaw, vet said no harm in giving it to her, just back from football going to go out now to check her, wasn't looking great earlier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭kay 9

We had a heifer last year that went off food and was grinding teeth and slightly frauthing too. Turned out to be loose teeth. Wasn't from the lack of feeding either mind you. She was getting a bucket of 4way grain and hay at lib every day. she was in great nick but I think calcium, copper and a multivitamin did the trick. Worth checking her teeth out mate to see if any are loose whilst setting or maybe shes losing teeth.

The last time we had an animal grinding teeth sounds a bit similar to this. (To deflect the usual slander off certain people, I am merely giving my two cents)
    Our cow was incalf, the vet thought the calf was killing her (:confused:) so aborted the calf. Still not eating and barely drinking, she tightened up in the flesh, looked a bit piney and was lackluster and well, looked like she'd given up. We put in a wee calf that had been rejected from it's mum in with her, to try and raise her spirits. Helped her a bit but we eventually gave in and sent her to the factory. Only reason we had to keep her so long was because this was during the F&M outbreak so we needed to get a permit to move her.
    Turned out she had swallowed a 3 inch long bit of metal off a baler, (we rang the factory to see if anything unusual turned up) so good call on the magnets. Do you think it would be possible that pushing the calf caused anything she could have ingested to perforate her stomach etc? Only stating from my experience, have you tried pushing her underneath the brisket to see if she grunts with pain? Also, are her ears cold?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Amongst other causes, a fluid swelling under the jaw can be due to congestive heart failure, as might be caused by endocarditis or septic pericarditis.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

Karen112 wrote: »
    ....Also, are her ears cold?

Cold ears? First I've heard of this!! What's your thinking on this Karen112?

Cold ears is a sign of milk fever i think but i think whelan has that covered.

Cold ears in any animal is a sign of bad circulation, as I'd say, mostly first seen in onset of pneumonia, along with dry nose and a weak eye. Very hard to explain this to someone. But the person who knows the cattle should know.

greysides wrote: »
    Amongst other causes, a fluid swelling under the jaw can be due to congestive heart failure, as might be caused by endocarditis or septic pericarditis.
    must watch out for the "darts" in the vein in neck.... there is no discharge from the nose but i am thinking its heart related as everything else is covered

she was eating when i went out this morning , she had a bit more fight in her when i went to dose her... fingers crossed

• Advertisement

Hope she goes the right way for ya. Seems she is starting to perk up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pauric Mc

had a heifer in the spring time with similar symptoms, turned out to be endocarditas which lead to left displaced stomach, first vet missed it,

in obvious discomfort this evening think i will get the knackery to take her in the morning and get a pm done on her... dont like seeing them in pain

in obvious discomfort this evening think i will get the knackery to take her in the morning and get a pm done on her... dont like seeing them in pain

Sorry to hear it. :( Will you let us know the results after the PM?

Advertisement