Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Devil's Elbow

• 19-08-2011 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This has been mentioned in the now closed Friday rant thread. Anyone care to educate me on its location. Still a little clueless about a lot of the place names in them der hills.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

This has been mentioned in the now closed Friday rant thread. Anyone care to educate me on its location. Still a little clueless about a lot of the place names in them der hills.

If you were to stand at the crossraods by Johnnie Fox's with Fox's in your left, the Devil's Elbow would be straight ahead. (I think I'm right).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

The less painful way;

Up to Johnnie Foxes, down the steep hill sign posted Enniskerry

The more painful way;

Coming towards Enniskerry from Glencree, take the left turn signposted Glencullen (might be a brown Johnnie Foxes sign as well)

Not a long climb, but coming from Enniskerry very steep, particularly if you're already a bit fatigued from a long spin.

Looking at the OSi data, it give a little over a kilometre at ~17% with 100 metres or so at 21%. Green point on the map is the cross roads at which you'll find Johnnie Foxes. I've always though of the elbow as the scarily steep bit just before the bridge, but others might know more.

171317.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

It's here, or at least that's what I know as Devil's Elbow. Going into Google StreetView gives you some idea of what it looks like "in the flesh".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Cheers guys. I was actually on that road for the first time on Wednesday eve and got a fright at how steep the second corner was on the way down. Thought I was going to launch over the handlebars. Going to give it a bash this coming Wednesday from the Enniskerry direction. Looks a right ball breaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

doozerie wrote: »
    It's here, or at least that's what I know as Devil's Elbow. Going into Google StreetView gives you some idea of what it looks like "in the flesh".
    Ah yes. I've been meaning to take that road, but mapmyride thinks there's a split in the middle, so always tries to route you back to the main road. I didn't want to go down it and find a dead end and have to climb back up again :D

If you zoom in to the max, you can see that google maps thinks it's two separate roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I've never been on that road - must give it a look.

BTW, why is everything named about three times on Google Maps - the map in this thread being a prime example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

seamus wrote: »
    Ah yes. I've been meaning to take that road, but mapmyride thinks there's a split in the middle, so always tries to route you back to the main road. I didn't want to go down it and find a dead end and have to climb back up again :D

If you zoom in to the max, you can see that google maps thinks it's two separate roads.
    Dublin/Wicklow border. Bring your passport.

It is steep, but very short. There is a much worse one up from Powerscourt Demesne to Djouce. We call it "Emty's Hill" (now mvt hill) after its discoverer. 1km peaks at 25% for a good while.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm sorry but does anyone else think Devils elbow sounds like something you'd get from sinning too much? :D

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

blorg wrote: »
    There is a much worse one up from Powerscourt Demesne to Djouce. We call it "Emty's Hill" (now mvt hill) after its discoverer. 1km peaks at 25% for a good while.

Would that be this? AKA, Ballinagee hill, AKA the wall in the Orwell Randonee, abeit just the top half of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

blorg wrote: »
    It is steep, but very short. There is a much worse one up from Powerscourt Demesne to Djouce. We call it "Emty's Hill" (now mvt hill) after its discoverer. 1km peaks at 25% for a good while.

Think this is it - went up it on the Orwell Randonee last year. The second half of it is seriously steep.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5018498

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

Excellent, I'm bringing a mate out for a spin on Wednesday and I'm going to introduce him to the Devils Elbow and Ballinagee hill/the wall/Emty's Hill. Any others in the vacinity to break his spirit before heading to Kilmashogue?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Ballinagee

Lads come on, ye're killing me here.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Excellent, I'm bringing a mate out for a spin on Wednesday and I'm going to introduce him to the Devils Elbow and Ballinagee hill/the wall/Emty's Hill. Any others in the vacinity to break his spirit before heading to Kilmashogue?

Cunard up to the Military road should provide the final nail for that coffin, marked Grassamucky breaks on the OS maps. Pretty similar to Kilmashogue. The run from Marlay park to Ticknock and across the fire roads to Kilmashogue is also a good one, if you have the tyres for rougher terrain.

171332.jpg

smacl wrote: »
    Cunard up to the Military road should provide the final nail for that coffin, marked Grassamucky breaks on the OS maps. Pretty similar to Kilmashogue. The run from Marlay park to Ticknock and across the fire roads to Kilmashogue is also a good one, if you have the tyres for rougher terrain.

God yeah, I've done that one too, and forgotten about it to be honest. Dont know how I could get it in as well as the other two before darkness falls, but one to remember for again. Bringing him down it to come back up ruins the surprise!!

Not sure the GP4000s are designed for the rougher terrain as you put it, but might just bring him up and down both Ticknock and Kilmashogue.

Just hope my spirit doesnt break first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

I remember going up this every year when we went on holiday as a kid: http://www.flickr.com/photos/23666168@N04/5174987782/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Think the photographer took a few liberties.;)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Think I fancy that. PM u my number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

Hermy wrote: »
    Think the photographer took a few liberties.;)

Pah! The Photoshop generation!

(Ok, I don't know what generation you are, but I think the picture is nevertheless genuine.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The photo is real but I think it may be tilted slightly in favour of a more dramatic effect.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

Lads come on, ye're killing me here.

If Ballinagee isn't your cup of tea you could always try Ballinaboy in Galway....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Dr. No

There is also a road called the Devil's elbow leading past the Hotel Ard Na Sidhe off the Killorglin Caragh Lake road in Kerry.

Advertisement