Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dogs watching digital TV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

I have digital and my two react to it, although one is more into it than the other.
    My boy gets excited by football and tennis, or anything with a ball in it. He also gets very excited when he hears the Eastenders theme tune.
    My little girl is quite the TV fan. She will mostly watch animal programmes or films...she was fixated with Lassie. She also likes Mongrels on BBC3, and accidentally switched the tv off once when she was trying to investigate where these creatures were. She'll take an interest in other stuff as well, but it can be quite random.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

Haha don't know if it is anything to do with the signal but one of my Jacks (Jazz) knows when anad break starts, she then watches TV waiting for any ads with animals that she can bark at :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭scarlet_mandy

He he he well ours does watch the occasional program when she's lazing on the couch, It's me or the dog always gets her attention :D Also took us months to convince her that the ad for Dominos Pizza was not our doorbell ringing, every time she'd get up and run to the front door, and considering they sponsored Coronation Street it came on quite a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Lol my 2 watch the tv as well, they like its me or the dog and neigbours. Think neighbours mite be because they get fed afterwards tho :rolleyes:

And my esb bill is always high because i leave the tv on for them when i go out, mind you i used to leave it on for the hamster when that lived in the living room to. Spoilt much;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭raveni

Our dog doesn't but sometimes if she hears something shrill on the telly, she thinks it's something (cat's fighting probably) outside the house and goes crazy barking and trying to get out to see what's going on, it's pretty funny:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

My greyhound girl loved Baboons with Bill Bailey so much that I downloaded all the other episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

My older dog Lily watches the tv, I can't watch any animal programmes - she recognises the animals on the screen, and if you change the station/turn it off, she goes around the back of the tv to see where they've gone.

She also loves watching Deal or no Deal with my dad o_O
    If you say 'you watching the dealy or no dealy?' she runs in, up on the couch and waits for you to put on the tv.
    There's certain people or voices she doesn't like. She doesn't like the Hairy Bikers, or Jamie Oliver.

My younger dog however, doesn't really pay much attention to the tv at all. If she hears certain noises she'll bark or jump down. Occasionally she'll see a dog or a horse on the tv and bark.

Again with photos or videos on my laptop, Lily will watch / recognise photos of dogs on my laptop screen and try to get at them. Daisy doesn't see or care.

(See here when crowded house posted a pic of Hayley)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

star-pants wrote: »
    My older dog Lily watches the tv,

My oldest is a Lily :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

mine will watch if there's a dog on the tv. when the dog on the tv barks he'll go over and bark back at it. he likes car chases too. He watched most of I am legend on the tv last week, up until the dog died then he lost interest. He also watches dublin matches with me, more so the hurling. He plays fetch out the back with me with a hurl and sliotar so recognises hurling on the tv when he sees it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Ellie (my Rottie) likes the bit of TV occassionally. Unlike the "Disney" image its not cats or dogs, etc its birds. I have a video on my phone of her watching intently for about 12 minutes a programme i was watching on Discovery of these Condor like birds that fly at unbelievable altitudes.

She never made a sound or growled, etc. Just followed the bird as it went from one side of the screen to the next. The JackRussell couldn't care about the TV.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

star-pants wrote: »
    She also loves watching Deal or no Deal with my dad o_O
    If you say 'you watching the dealy or no dealy?' she runs in, up on the couch and waits for you to put on the tv.

*splurts cup of tea all over monitor*
    That is such a funny image! Dealy or no dealy!!!:D
    Noel'd be chuffed!

My Westie, now a mature, sensible and very refined older gent *cough splutter*, since he was a pup always barked when The Angelus started on the TV. Really got on his wick.
    That's me boy! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My boy will bark or growl at lots of animals on the tv, mainly dogs, but cows too, not goats, sheep get a growl, horses if they are on their own, with riders he doesn't mind:rolleyes:
    If a cat comes on its fine until it makes a noise, then he has to go look for our two.
    He loves Meercat Manor and will sit up and watch with the head going from side to side, even growling quietly at the bad Meercats or when there's a fight.

What really amazes me is he dislikes the churchill ad dog, and can recognize cartoon dogs even if they don't make doggy noises, same goes for the other animals he barks at. Even cartoon dogs standing up dressed like people will get on his nerves, how does he know they are dogs?

We did manage to watch crufts this year eventually, he settled down after about 10 mins or us trying to quiet him.

Oh, the lastest is when my 13year old is watching movies and bad guy music comes on, he sits on her watching for trouble, he hates zombies! (shaun of the dead)
    Amazingly she was watching something with a werewolf one night and he kept growling even when the werewolf changed back to human.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Copied this from an online article I read:
    "
    Pet experts say that a lot of dogs will actually follow the movement of objects on the screen–and may even bark. However a dog doesn’t see the screen the same way we do. Although dogs don’t see exclusively in black and white (as many people think), they don’t have the same range of color that humans do. There are fewer cones (color vision cells) in a dog’s eye than in a human’s eye. Yet, dogs have many more rods (light and motion detectors) than we do, so although they see a limited spectrum, they can see better at night. Dogs can also see flickering light better than we can, which means they might even be able to see individual frames in a television sequence where we would see a continuous scene.
    Because of the anatomy of a dog’s eyes, the dog cannot tell what an object on the screen actually is. But the movement and shapes he is able to see can be pretty intriguing. The sounds emitted from the television are attention-grabbing as well. Because dogs can pinpoint the directional origin of sounds they hear, the TV can be quite aurally entertaining. Although experts say that a dog’s acute hearing can differentiate between a television sound and a live sound, many a dog still seem to be fairly well entertained by the sounds coming from the set."

Advertisement