Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roll newly reseeded ground?!

• 19-08-2011 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭

I've a field that I've cleared/drained and reseeded! Reseeded 3 weeks this Sunday and it's up lovely after all the wet weather! I didn't have the roller at the time so I just broadcast seed and turned chain Harrow over to cover the seed and it worked the finest.

Would the grass soil contact be improved by a run of the roller or should I leave well enough alone?!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Bodacious wrote: »
    I've a field that I've cleared/drained and reseeded! Reseeded 3 weeks this Sunday and it's up lovely after all the wet weather! I didn't have the roller at the time so I just broadcast seed and turned chain Harrow over to cover the seed and it worked the finest.

Would the grass soil contact be improved by a run of the roller or should I leave well enough alone?!

Thanks

Personally I'd roll it, but others might have different opinions. Rolling will help to form a skin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

reilig wrote: »
    Personally I'd roll it, but others might have different opinions. Rolling will help to form a skin

If its already up, whats the benfit in rolling?

Also, would rolling very young grass like that impact its growth?

I would have though that the grass soil contact is important when seeds are germinating? If this was 3 weeks ago, then are the seeds that didnt have good contact now dead?

Real answer is I dont know, but I would be of the opinion not to roll it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Thanks

Reseeded on a Sunday. They will all get bloat:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Tora Bora wrote: »

Thanks

Reseeded on a Sunday. They will all get bloat:eek:

yep on a Sunday ... Straight to hell for me anyway !!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

reilig wrote: »

Same here - you won't really gain anything in terms of soil contact with seed at this stage. at the same time you won't do any damage.

it's really about getting the stones down now and having the surface nice and tight, only if soil conditions are right of course and they should be after recent weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Harrier1980

Wait another two weeks or so until the plan matures more. Then you can roll when dry which will break any soil clods left and push the stones down. It will also at 5 - 6 week stage encourage the plant to tiller and for leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

would nt touch it now as it will disturb the fragile root structure of the plant and knock it back badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

yep on a Sunday ... Straight to hell for me anyway !!

me too, i can feel the flames

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Don't roll now.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

blue5000 wrote: »
    Don't roll now.

...............Wait 'till it gets bright:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement