Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing to UPC - wired or wireless?

• 19-08-2011 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

May I ask for some advice please?

UPC broadband is now available in my area and I'm going to move from Eircom. My desktop pc uses a wired connection and we also have laptops, x-box, smartphones etc connecting via wifi. If I want to keep a wired connection for my desktop, I'll have to have an additional UPC point installed - we have one for tv already but it's downstairs and the pc is upstairs. One-off cost for the extra point is €50 plus €20 installation charge. (Forgot to ask if there was an extra monthly charge for the extra point...). Alternatively, UPC suggest connecting the desktop pc wirelessly via a USB thingie (I'm not very techie, sorry).

Which way should I go? My gut feeling is get the extra point and have a wired connection for the desktop pc. I'm planning on getting the 50MB and I'd like to actually achieve that speed, although UPC say a wireless connection will be as near as dammit.

What do you think? And is there anything else I should think about before I order?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

The wired connection is going to be more reliable but a usb wifi dongle for the desktop would probably be the cheaper option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Weedikins wrote: »
    May I ask for some advice please?

UPC broadband is now available in my area and I'm going to move from Eircom. My desktop pc uses a wired connection and we also have laptops, x-box, smartphones etc connecting via wifi. If I want to keep a wired connection for my desktop, I'll have to have an additional UPC point installed - we have one for tv already but it's downstairs and the pc is upstairs. One-off cost for the extra point is €50 plus €20 installation charge. (Forgot to ask if there was an extra monthly charge for the extra point...). Alternatively, UPC suggest connecting the desktop pc wirelessly via a USB thingie (I'm not very techie, sorry).

Which way should I go? My gut feeling is get the extra point and have a wired connection for the desktop pc. I'm planning on getting the 50MB and I'd like to actually achieve that speed, although UPC say a wireless connection will be as near as dammit.

What do you think? And is there anything else I should think about before I order?

Thanks for any advice.

Run an some ethernet cable from the Router at the tv point to the desktop?

Pretty simple to do....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm getting 150 mb on my upc N connection.

Advertisement