Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The John Kenny vs Derek Mooney tension

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Unfortunately hadn't the control of the dial today, and they left Del-Boyyeee on. Perked my ears up at the Sports report with JK at the helm. Del and himself engaged in a bit of enforced "banter" with Throttle-throat Brenda throwing in her piece. Cringeworthy at best...nails scratching the blackboard stuff when she butted in.

Seemed as if someone upstairs had told the pair of them to engage in a bit of on air patching-up and keep the bitterness within the RTE Canteen, couldn't help but feel that JK was finding it hard to do so without grittied teeth....not least when the Foghorn interrupted and prolonged an already forced conversation.

Almost made it an interesting show for once.....well, kind of, insofar as my ears weren't bleeding as they usually do if I have to listen to an entire Mooney-fest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Certainly not a fan of Del Boy's chirpy personality - he's got a nice little ego going there with plenty of half-arsed opinions masquerading as facts about lots of stuff.

But apropos the suggestion earlier in this thread - I would also love to see the outcome of a "bit o' banter" between Del and Anne Doyle - that'd soften his cough!

Such as.......?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I think it is very funny when someone texts in and complains about some aspect of the show. Mooney nearly has a conniption explaining how he is, in fact, right and they are totally wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

There seems to be a certain insecurity in the Sports Department. The Sports guy wants his gig to be taken as seriously as everyone else's. You don't interrupt Anne Doyle when she's reading the News to comment on Libya, and you don't interrupt the Weather guy when he is in full flow, either, to make some remark about the terrible Summer we're having

So the Sports guy wants to be treated like a professional in his field as well. But just because it's sport we all think we are experts and can add our own two cents. The Sports guy knows this, and resents it. He wants silence and respect

Des Cahill used to do Sport on Morning Ireland and used to get real narky when some presenter interrupted him with a casual comment. He wasn't allowed to interrupt the real serious political stuff they were doing

It's all down to ego and jockying for position, as it usually is with media "stars"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

You don't interrupt Anne Doyle when she's reading the News to comment on Libya
    No, because revolution in Libya is of considerably more importance than Arsenal overthrowing Udinese. The announcement of ongoing problems with road traffic accidents is significantly more important than Rory McIlroy's golf injury.
    However, as some of us have said, we wouldn't be entirely unopposed to broadcasters interacting with newsreaders.

As someone who likes to keep up with the sports bulletins on RTE Radio, I have to say I often prefer to hear the engagement, as opposed to hearing the sports reporters prattle off their lines uninterrupted. I actually like it when a broadcaster interrupts a reporter and says something that the listener was probably thinking. It's less clinical and can make for better radio.

Although Des Cahill seems to enjoy the banter with Pat kenny (or maybe Cahill just likes the slot) I think you're right about one thing and that's an insecurity in the RTE sports department about being interrupted. Maybe it's not nice to be John Kenny, in middle age, with a failed broadcasting career behind him and now reduced 5 minute sports bulletins, playing second fiddle to younger broadcasters whom he may personally dislike. Maybe being interrupted in that context bruises his ego - but that's a personal issue that he has to get over.

As much as one can sympathise with his dislike of Mooney, he is after all just a sports reporter who could be easily and happily replaced by thousands of young sports enthusiasts who'd be happy to do the job. I doubt there is a single listener who tunes in to listen to John Kenny and, creid no na creid, there are thousands who appear to tune in to listen to Mooney.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

But apropos the suggestion earlier in this thread - I would also love to see the outcome of a "bit o' banter" between Del and Anne Doyle - that'd soften his cough!
    Woman should have her own show tbh. Maybe she could double up with the sultry Lilian Smith for an ould late date.

Add in Alf McCarthy and they could make it a late sandwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Certainly not a fan of Del Boy's chirpy personality - he's got a nice little ego going there with plenty of half-arsed opinions masquerading as facts about lots of stuff.

I'd say Anne Doyle would eat him without salt, would love to see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭cml387

I've been following this debate with some interest.
    I did hear the exchange between JK and Del, (by accident, I don't listen to the prog) and it was obvious to me that there was some grudge being aired.

I am no great supporter of Derek, but I think RTE sports have a very inflated sense of there own importance and I would have no problem in seeing them being brought down a peg or two.

Probably OT as well, but I can also see no justification for one hour of sport every day on the inaccurately titled Sport At Seven (startime 6:30).

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bobba Fett

cml387 wrote: »
    I've been following this debate with some interest.
    I did hear the exchange between JK and Del, (by accident, I don't listen to the prog) and it was obvious to me that there was some grudge being aired.

I am no great supporter of Derek, but I think RTE sports have a very inflated sense of there own importance and I would have no problem in seeing them being brought down a peg or two.

Probably OT as well, but I can also see no justification for one hour of sport every day on the inaccurately titled Sport At Seven (startime 6:30).

It's actually called Sport At Seven Extra over the Summer (It's Sport At Seven from Autumn to Spring when it airs from 7pm to 7.30pm.

I listened back to the exchange between John and Derek and heard it live on the day and I don't think there's much in it to be honest. John has a very dry sense of humour and I'd say that's all it is. I found it quite funny to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

I like it when there is banter between presenters and sports guys,today fm do it a lot also will leahy on 2fm used to have great banter when eamon horan used to do the sport on 2fm.As an aside why is eamon horan not doing sport on the radio anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wextipp

Listening to Mooney show today and Marty Morrissey was on giving a review of the 'Susan Boyle' musical. After it Mooney read out a text that someone had sent in saying Marty and Derek make a great team. Straight after that John Kenny came on to read the sport. Starts off by saying 'Do you not think we make a great team, Derek'. Mooney replies by saying something like he didn't know where all this hangbags stuff came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

wextipp wrote: »
    Listening to Mooney show today and Marty Morrissey was on giving a review of the 'Susan Boyle' musical. After it Mooney read out a text that someone had sent in saying Marty and Derek make a great team. Straight after that John Kenny came on to read the sport. Starts off by saying 'Do you not think we make a great team, Derek'. Mooney replies by saying something like he didn't know where all this hangbags stuff came from.
    Mooney can be very prickly if he is not dominating the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,100 ✭✭✭squonk

Not a big fan of sports broadcasts myself. I have very little interest in the subject and I generally find an awful lot of sports presenters to not be overly professional so, as an earlier poster rightly pointed out, they want to be taken seriously yet they don't act prefessionally enough to warrant being taken seriously. Paul Collins I'm particularly looking at you here!

I've always thought there was something 'not nice' about JK's personality. I used to listen to him a lot back in the 90's when he was doing his rock shows. He might be a nice guy but that's the impression I was left with as a listener.

However, in this case, I'm behind JK 100%. In fairness to the guy he was trying to do his spot and, while he was rattling it off in a bland sort of way, he should have been let finish. Mooney pulling him up on that pronunciation of that club & player was a bit like laughing if a colleague ****s up. TBH the joke was on Mooney as he came across as a smarmy little **** in the whole thing.

I can't believe Brenda Donoghue is still on the radio. She was ****e back when Lambo was on the air and she should have been axed long ago. TBH I really hate her because she's so friggin annoying. Mooney's story about the sparrows was so boring and pointless. Who the hell cares???? Seriously, I'm sure there are heaps of better things to be doing in Rotterdam than looking around a museum of stuffed sparrows. I wish Mooney was stuffed and mounted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Its car crash radio. Money interrupts everyone. All he wants to talk about is Jedward, that big gay European song contest, Mayerdy Button, Louie Walsh, Bluetits. His sidekick Brek is unbearable to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Insufferable egotistical radio that is only still on the air because of the huge lead-in figures from Liveline. You could have the bluetits themselves broadcasting and still get similar listenership figures.

Mooney is one jammy git.

telekon wrote: »
    Insufferable egotistical radio that is only still on the air because of the huge lead-in figures from Liveline. You could have the bluetits themselves broadcasting and still get similar listenership figures.

Mooney is one jammy git.
    He got that slot on the back of his Saturday morning show which he built up on his own.

You could make the lead in audience argument for several shows, Murray, Collins for example. I suppose RTE are spreading their talent as widely as possible through the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

padd b1975 wrote: »
    He got that slot on the back of his Saturday morning show which he built up on his own.

You could make the lead in audience argument for several shows, Murray, Collins for example. I suppose RTE are spreading their talent as widely as possible through the day.

Eamon Dunphy's Saturday morning show on radio 1 had an audience of around 260,000. One year after his move to Newstalk he had 50,000 listeners. Similarly, Tubridy's audience collapsed when he moved to 2fm, while his particularly poor replacement's audience has remained fairly stable over on Radio 1.

Having a show on the national institution that is RTE Radio 1, is much more important than who the presenter is.

EchoO wrote: »
    Eamon Dunphy's Saturday morning show on radio 1 had an audience of around 260,000. One year after his move to Newstalk he had 50,000 listeners. Similarly, Tubridy's audience collapsed when he moved to 2fm, while his particularly poor replacement's audience has remained fairly stable over on Radio 1.

Having a show on the national institution that is RTE Radio 1, is much more important than who the presenter is.
    Yeah got to agree with you, everyone I know who listens to Radio 1 listen all day everyday without waver, amazing brand loyalty.
    I have only recently thrown in the towel between 9 and 10th but straight back for Kenny show.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mrshopkeeper

Seems like the Sports Dept might not miss Derek when he moves on, more agro during the week between himself and Padraig Lodge - Tuesdays (23rd) show

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Seems like the Sports Dept might not miss Derek when he moves on, more agro during the week between himself and Padraig Lodge - Tuesdays (23rd) show

Agro how ? Yeah he always seemed to get on the wrong side of the sports lads,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Derek knows next to nothing about sport, but seems to have a great wish to interact with the sports reporters, often by making inane comments which get up their noses. It's Derek's programme, and it seems that he doesn't want to surrender his turf, even for the minute or two a sports report might take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Derek knows next to nothing about sport, but seems to have a great wish to interact with the sports reporters, often by making inane comments which get up their noses. It's Derek's programme, and it seems that he doesn't want to surrender his turf, even for the minute or two a sports report might take.

Couldn't agree with you more, on Mooney's idiot understanding of sport and his territorialty.

Anyone who ever heard his reaction to invited racing expert and guest Michael Fortune during Cheltenham week 2/3 years ago, when Fortune was regularly giving him and the listeners a good win and/or a good each way chance in every race, will even now still wonder how someone didn't lamp him into the next world. Mooney's response to every piece of advice was something like, "those bets are no good to me, give me one at 100/1".

No matter how often the increasingly exasperated Fortune explained to him that a price of 100 to 1 meant that the unfortunate horse carrying such odds would have to run 100 hundred races to win 1 - and this wasnt the day that was going to happen -, the egregious gob persisted in his petulant querulousness. In other words, he behaved like an arrogant prat.

His Assumption into the Wilderness of the Wildlife Department could not come soon enough, imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭mrshopkeeper

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Agro how ? Yeah he always seemed to get on the wrong side of the sports lads,

the site won't allow me to add a link in my reply: 1hr 5min into show Mooney corrects Lodge on a report that Lodge has just read, but then acknowleges that the factual basis for his 'correction' is somewhat spurious. Lodge not impressed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Anyway he's gone so thats Mooney V the sports dept sorted.

Advertisement