Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need advice buying a bike, stuck between models :)

• 19-08-2011 3:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

So I could really use some help. Over the last couple of months I have been surfing the web, talking to friends, posting on boards (this one included) and talking to people shops about which bike is the right one for me. I have narrowed the options down to 2 bikes that I feel will work for me but I am now stuck and could really use some help.

The bikes are:
    - Giant Defy 2

- Trek 1.2

I could really use some advice about which of these would be best for commuting/touring/fitness, which one would be more reliable and which one would be better value for money?
    Any help, thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

They're very, very different bikes. Where do you plan on riding them?

EDIT: I think you have got something wrong here. Revel 2 $390 and Trek 1.2 is $960 RRP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Sorry sorry guys, For giant I meant the Giant Defy 2. It was 3am here, I was tired :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

They're both good bikes.

The Giant has a slightly better set of shifters but you mentioned touring so the Trek might be better seeing as it has braze ons for a rack. It's not a touring bike though so I'd keep luggage light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    They're very, very different bikes. Where do you plan on riding them?

EDIT: I think you have got something wrong here. Revel 2 $390 and Trek 1.2 is $960 RRP.

Sorry about that, thanks for the feedback and I hope you are willing to give me more feed back now that I am making sense :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭CptMackey

I have a trek 1.2. I find it a great bike. Nice frame once you get you size right. Mine has sora which I find perfect. I don't race but I cycle with a group and have no issues keeping with them. Done plenty of sportives etc. You wouldn't be dissapointex. I'd say the giant would be similar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

don't think you would notice any difference between them. FWIW I have the trek 1200 (old 1.2) and find it just as good to ride as my much more expensive titanium build

Advertisement