Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant 2011 Question

• 19-08-2011 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

Hi Im having a small issue with my grant application.

Im still waiting to send in my grand to the local Vec but before i do that i have a small problem

Im still deciding weather i should go to college or not. im thinking of going out working for the year or so. but my question is should i apply for the grant and if i should get work, not accept the grant will this affect me in the future if i should try to re apply

Any help would be brill thanks :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Hi Im having a small issue with my grant application.

Im still waiting to send in my grand to the local Vec but before i do that i have a small problem

Im still deciding weather i should go to college or not. im thinking of going out working for the year or so. but my question is should i apply for the grant and if i should get work, not accept the grant will this affect me in the future if i should try to re apply

Any help would be brill thanks :pac:

Apply anyway (you have to do so by the 31st of August). Not going to college this year won't affect you if you go and apply for a grant next year afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Do you mean you might defer your course? Because I was told (by my guidance counselor) you can defer both your course and your grant so it should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Well yes sorta. Like say I get work but I'm happy at that so i come back at 23 and look for my grant even though 4 years ago I had privously applied but turned it all down at the last min. Do ya get me or am i talking double dutch lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Well yes sorta. Like say I get work but I'm happy at that so i come back at 23 and look for my grant even though 4 years ago I had privously applied but turned it all down at the last min. Do ya get me or am i talking double dutch lol

At 23 I think the grant is different as it doesn't depend on your parent's income afaik... Also I would assume if you defer a course you would need to reapply for the grant the following year as it is based on the previous year's income etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Apply anyway (you have to do so by the 31st of August). Not going to college this year won't affect you if you go and apply for a grant next year afaik.

Something my career guidance counselor never explained...

I've applied for the grant, but haven't sent in all the forms yet, does that have to be done before the 31st as well, or is it okay once you've applied?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 shelly818

Hey,

Just wondering I used to qualify for a grant but, i dont think i do any more, how do i cancel it?? do i just not send back the form about still being in education?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭polkabunny

If you apply for a grant at 23, I believe you're classed as an independant mature student, so your parents aren't really involved in your grant at all. However, if you haven't been in education since school and you're 23, you may qualify for a Back to Education grant too.
    Deferring usually is only putting off the place for a year, I know how hard it is to get a job and if you actually end up getting one it's brilliant, but I'm of the mind that getting an education, then getting a better paid, more enjoyable job after college is better than an immediate job, which mightn't be as good. Well done if you get it though! :D

Elvis, you have to provide all the required supporting documents and forms (birth cert, P21, P60, farm accounts, etc) in order to have your application filled out properly, the booklet of the actual application itself has a number of areas where you must provide proof, such as parent's income and the such. What are you missing?

shelley, how do you mean by not sending back the form? You can send in the forms if you're unsure whether you qualify or not, your council will decide if you're eligible for the grant or not, it's be a shame if you were actually eligible for it and didn't send in your application! Also, there are different amounts of grants that you can get, depending on distance from college and that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 shelly818

The year after i first got the grant i got a form to say i am still in 3rd level education and it has to be filled in by the university so i could get the grant for the following year. I know i wont be eligable for it this year as my parents are both back working full time and they earn a lot.

I was wondering if i just dont send it back in will my Grant be cancelled or do i need to give them a call.

Advertisement