Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hardy hedging ideas

Options
  • 19-08-2011 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

i am trying to decide between 2 types of hedging: either copper beech or laurel. i really like copper beech but my husband reckons laurel would be hardier if we have more winters such as the last two
    any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

If it's a choice between those two only then I would prefer copper beech myself, but have you considered Buckthorn. We used it in an exposed (to eastern winds) site and it thrived. Slow growing but very hardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭countrywoman

thanks for the reply mongarra
    i must google buckthorn, i dont know what it looks like
    ]we were thinking either copper beech or laurel, because i don't like privet, and i think the bad weather this winter killed lots of escallonia nad grisillenia....i dont know many other types of hedging:confused:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Alot of Escallonia hedges were burnt and appeared dead after the past two winters, however, almost all in this area have resprouted and are growing well. It shouldn't take them long to grow back as they have good roots in the ground...

Personally I have laurel and I like their shiny leaves..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mrsbear

From an aesthetic point of view the copper beach is lovely. My parents are replacing their grisillenia with Laurel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I haven't got any, but isn't laurel a bit of a liability to trim given that you cut its big leaves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Hi Op,

A friend of mine put down laurel's around her boundary in 2010, they did'nt last a year for her. Last year's frost killed them all on her.
    I think it depends on the shelter they have also, I have laurel's with good shelter and they survied, but her's were put down around an open fence.
    She's going putting beech this year.

thanks everyone. i need to plant them around a fence and the site is quite open. many websites selling plants mention how 'hardy' laurel is. i actually prefer beech,

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Dan man

Berberis darwinii is a great choice for hedging. It has dark green, glossy evergreen leaves with orange flowers and purple-black berries and is very hardy. Leaves are thorny though, but can't see why that should put you off. There are plenty of other varieties of berberis that are equally suited for hedging, in a variety of colours. Berberis darwinii, however is hard to beat in terms of hardiness. It is also fast growing, and should provide a decent sized thick hedge before long (4-5years). As it keeps its foliage throughout the year, it will look pleasing even in the winter. Good luck.

thanks dan man
    i like the look of berberis, but i won't sow it becuase i have 3 small children here. thanks anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Copper Beech it is for me.

Planted mine in Autumn 2009 and it has really come on. Granted it is sheltered against a low dividing wall between us and next door neighbour but it has had no problems over 2 bad winters. Bit of a spurt noticeable this Summer, both up and across.

A few are just starting to turn brown. I really like the way it keeps its leaves during the winter and has a lovely rich green colour during the Summer.

• Advertisement

you're right dfbemt, copper beech is fabulous. it's top of my list really. my husband likes laurel or privet but i don't. we have a huge area to palnt, so i want to make sure that we are sure before we go ahead planting

Its great that yours survived the abd weather too

i like the way it is in Autumn and Winter too

Advertisement