Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

road bike advice

Options
  • 19-08-2011 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

im looking to upgrade a giant scr3 , it has the sora sti shifters with the thumb button , i want to upgrade to 105 or ultegra shifters , is this possible or have i to get the full groupset , any info welcome . cheers:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

mick201 wrote: »
    im looking to upgrade a giant scr3 , it has the sora sti shifters with the thumb button , i want to upgrade to 105 or ultegra shifters , is this possible or have i to get the full groupset , any info welcome . cheers:)

Sora..thats 9 speed right? U need these You'll also need new Brake/Gear cables and Handlebar tape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 mick201

its 8 speed , 24 altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

How many miles on the bike? You may need a new chainset if you're going from 8 speed to 10 speed and shifters and chainsets are the most expensive pieces of the groupset.

I reckon of the old groupset you could keep the front derailleur and perhaps keep the back one and replace the pullies. If the chainset isn't too worn you could see how a 10 speed chain marries with it.

Another question is if your wheel is 10 speed cassette compatable. You'd also need a new chain. if you're very careful would could reuse the bar tape ;) New cable are pretty cheap so get yourself some new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 roadjunky

I had ridley bike with the soro sti shifters and I was looking to change to 105 or ultegra groupset but what I found out it was cheaper to trade in my bike to one that had the groupset that I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

You could upgrade to tiagra 9-sp shifters, 9-sp cassette and chain. Second-hand shifters won't cost too much. Your existing sora mechs will handle the 9-sp chain no bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

mick201 wrote: »
    its 8 speed , 24 altogether

ok, then you'll need 9speed shifters, 9 speed cassette, brake/gear cables and h/bar tape.

if you want 10 speed, youll need a new groupset.

Advertisement