Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Septic Tanks

• 19-08-2011 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

I suppose, it will not be too long before the government sends out busy bodies, to check on our septic tanks. Truth be known, most (mine at least) will fail the test, and we will be forced to upgrade to one of those bio systems at great cost:mad:

I'm thinking of trying to impove the efficiency of ours, before the inspectors arrive. Maybe, dig up the drainage pipes from the outlet, extend the length of the pipes, add some more cross pipes, use plenty of good clean gravel, etc.
    Opinions / tips would be appreciated. Is it worth my while?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MOC1972

I have a feeling you will waste your money.If it comes into force these inspections will write off most older concrete tanks in favour of the new plastic ones.
    I have a plastic 1 which 2 men can carry approved by some wise guy who
    thinks these are a better system I my mind these will fail and crack and at nearly 2 thousand euro each are a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Yes I'd hold out too. You may do too much or not enough, both a waste of time and money.

There's nothing out yet (I think?!) specifying how strict they will be.

I see in the comic, that County Cavan could be exempt because they have some inspection system alrready in place. Something about paying €100 inspection charge every 7 years.

Anyone here from Cavan that can confirm this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I think if I got a chance to re-do mine I'd keep the washing machine and kitchen sink seperate by running them to a seperate soakpit with a large grease trap. It would keep a lot of P (sorry no pun intended) out of the septic tank, and hopefully eliminate a lot of soakpit problems......

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

blue5000 wrote: »
    I think if I got a chance to re-do mine I'd keep the washing machine and kitchen sink seperate by running them to a seperate soakpit with a large grease trap. It would keep a lot of P (sorry no pun intended) out of the septic tank, and hopefully eliminate a lot of soakpit problems......

blue, your dead right. This is the way the oul' lad configured the system at home. Only the toilets go to the septic tank. Sinks, washing machine etc go to soakaways. However, it isn't correct under guidelines ;)

Only 'clean' runoff from eave gutters etc are allowed to a soakaway AFAIK.

Advertisement