Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    Anyone ever heard this? It's feckin great!

/Edit - apparantly it was in Skins? Last.fm recommended it to me due to all the bleepin' and blippin' chiptunes I listen to, I swear!

That's a pretty cool tune. Looks like alpahaeagle has bagged himself a nice Nomad over on adverts. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Anyone ever heard this? It's feckin great!

/Edit - apparantly it was in Skins? Last.fm recommended it to me due to all the bleepin' and blippin' chiptunes I listen to, I swear!

"Starscream" is an excellent name for a band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

"Starscream" is an excellent name for a band.

Starscream is great. They actually had a bit of bother on twitter recently when one of the "DJs" in slipknot who is called 'DJ Starscream' got wind of their existence and had his followers harass him. Many of them seemed unaware that their hero didn't exactly invent the name himself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Andrew76 wrote: »
    That's a pretty cool tune. Looks like alpahaeagle has bagged himself a nice Nomad over on adverts. :D
    theres a neogeo pocket there as well , I'm broke otherwise I'd throw an offer in :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

ghostchant wrote: »
    Starscream is great. He actually had a bit of bother on twitter recently when one of the "DJs" in slipknot who is called 'DJ Starscream' got wind of his existence and had his followers harass him. Many of them seemed unaware that their hero didn't exactly invent the name himself.

You know whos fault that is don't ya?
    Michael Bay's. 3 Transformers movies and it was impossible to tell any of the Decepticons apart. Can we really blame the kids here?:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

theres a neogeo pocket there as well , I'm broke otherwise I'd throw an offer in :(

Aye well worth 30 as long as the screen is ok. Prefer to have a pic of it working just to be sure though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I have no idea why but this suddenly got stuck in my head :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Have also decided to try and throw together some last minute Persona 4 MC cosplay for tomorrow night.

Have to make the school badge somehow.
    is that the b&w one? Could be done easy/quick with felt and glue, or get transfer paper, Tesco sometimes have it for 5er, Lidl/Aldi is cheaper but might not have it.
    Where you going to?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Sera wrote: »
    is that the b&w one? Could be done easy/quick with felt and glue, or get transfer paper, Tesco sometimes have it for 5er, Lidl/Aldi is cheaper but might not have it.
    Where you going to?

Cheers, will give it a go!

Going to this: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=100228236746659 Sure why not!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pfft, only nerds go to cosplay conventions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've heard some of the men even dress up as schoolgirls.

Disgusting so it is.

Cheers, will give it a go!

Going to this: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=100228236746659 Sure why not!
    yeah I heard about it the N/C forums, not bothered, people with hairy nipples are organising it ;)
    (don't make it obvious this time Dinorex kthx)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I've heard some of the men even dress up as schoolgirls.

Disgusting so it is.

Yeah, "men" :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

Yeah there's a point when collecting becomes obsessive and one should step back. Like there's an awful, awful lot of crap out there: is it really worth spending all that money on absolute bollocks just to have a complete collection? It's pretty, sure, and will make fellow nerds green with envy, but it's all rather futile.

Games are to be played. I, like everyone, have plenty of games that haven't got the attention they deserve, and in a handful of cases haven't been played (again - cheap games, and mostly super long RPGs). But they're always bought with good intentions, and usually for less than the price of dirt (dirt is expensive these days, don't you know?)

A good games collection is something to cherish, like a good book, DVD or em.. stamp (?!) collection. It's nice to be able to dip into a great game when you want. And I'm sure most of us have more games than we technically "need" (quote unquote). But when you're buying every piece of crap just to throw it on a shelf, you're not really a gamer anymore. You're like that dude from Silence of the Lambs, but without the mass murder. And we all know the Zodiac Killer was just bored after completing his Magnavox Odyssey collection.

I used to use the Retro Gamer magazine forums back a few years ago, and ended up leaving it out of sheer annoyance at these guys who would buy up tonnes of stuff just to brag about it. Guys would literally buy bloody anything just to boast about the number of games they owned. Fellas would buy up garbage for a pound or two, just to say they had more games than the other losers on the board.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of showing off - every forum has a "What have you picked up recently?" thread, and they are great fun for the most part and get people talking, but the people out there on the internet who take things too seriously end up ruining the fun for everyone sadly....

There was some great people over there - one guy even sold me a factory sealed copy of Yoshi's Island DS for less than it was worth, just because he knew I really wanted a new copy of the game at the time, but the great people were overshadowed by the head-cases.

The last straw was the day some guy came on bragging that he had snagged a Muppets Party game for the PS2 and George of the Jungle for just a few quid each. F**k me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Sera wrote: »

Can anyone tell me what I've just watched?
    The last straw was the day some guy came on bragging that he had snagged a Muppets Party game for the PS2 and George of the Jungle for just a few quid each. F**k me!

I know, it started to creep me out after a while. If I went to the trouble of not only buying Fifa 2005 on the GCN for a £1, but also posting about the fact, I think I'd call it a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Classic stuff going here:

Bonus points if you spot anyone who played a character on a SciFi show years after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

That is eight minutes of my life I'm never getting back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Steve SI wrote: »

Bonus points if you spot anyone who played a character on a SciFi show years after this.

I haven't clicked the video but, looking at the screengrab there is that Scott Bakula he who played Dr. Sam Beckett in Quantum Leap?

One of my gave shows of all time.

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Steve SI wrote: »

I haven't clicked the video but, looking at the screengrab there is that Scott Bakula he who played Dr. Sam Beckett in Quantum Leap?

One of my gave shows of all time.

Oh wait a sec, that's Gary Cole from Midnight Caller no?

Next you'll be showing me a Turbo Grafx training video starring Margaret Collin from 1987 hit cop show Legwork.

Yes I am that old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Downloaded my free NES games last night, got stuck into some Metroid and good christ it's frustrating those bat things coming out of the roof really grind my gears, got lost almost instantly.

Played a lot of Baloon Fight and it rules, simple but really difficult just the way I like it:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

pdbhp wrote: »
    Played a lot of Baloon Fight and it rules, simple but really difficult just the way I like it:)

You should play Balloon Kid on the GB. It's the sequel. A really under appreciated game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I love Balloon Fight, a still immensely playable game. First time I came across it was as one of those rare unlockable NES games in Animal Crossing. Constantly full of surprises, those crazy animals.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You should play Balloon Kid on the GB. It's the sequel. A really under appreciated game.

Arrrrrggggghhh I was gonna pick that up in Rage one day it was like €1.99 but I decided against it:(

Any Neo Geo fans really need to check out the treasure trove of Neo Geo goodness racketboy put up on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.278801595478710.87888.107697422589129&type=1

That is a lovely collection. I like the film strips and the Blazing Star artwork.

Master of the Universe

'Taken at Dion Dakis's Place'

Haha. I guess he didn't show them this picture -

attachment.php?attachmentid=21374&d=1161588698]

Shame that wanker has so much awesome stuff. I'd love that Blazing Star artwork.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Ultima IV is being given away free at the mo over on GoG.com if anyone fancies it

Downloaded my free NES games last night, got stuck into some Metroid and good christ it's frustrating those bat things coming out of the roof really grind my gears, got lost almost instantly.

I was playing them there this afternoon. I can't seem to hit the ball in NES Open or whatever the golf game is called, more than a few yards! Strange, seeing as I'm a big fan of golf games normally like this - bought my PSP day 1 after playing Everybody's Golf on it! Still one of my favourite PSP games still....

I was also playing a good bit of my childhood favourite, Zelda II. I got stuck pretty much at the start... just like I did when I was a child! I still think its a good game and better than many would have you believe, but its of its time I reckon and probably wouldn't keep you busy for long if played out of context or curiosity. Unlike the masterpiece that is Link's Awakening its doesn't hold up all that well to today's standards, but its still fun enough to a degree I believe.

Arrrrrggggghhh I was gonna pick that up in Rage one day it was like €1.99 but I decided against it:(

I only heard about this RAGE shop the other day - what do people think of it on here? Is it any good? How is it prices, and how is the range of games? I thinking about heading up to town this week if I get a chance and checking it out.... maybe have a few games up in Quirkies for myself as well :D

The consensus on the RAGE tends to be that a bargain can be found here and there, but generally they deal in mid-to-high range ebay prices, including the cost of postage, with a bit of haggle room, to score a little discount. Quirkey's have only two fighting cabs left, and a glitchy Silent Hill Arcade setup, there's some other stuff, but it's terribly barren compared to the glory days.

• Advertisement

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    The consensus on the RAGE tends to be that a bargain can be found here and there, but generally they deal in mid-to-high range ebay prices, including the cost of postage, with a bit of haggle room, to score a little discount. Quirkey's have only two fighting cabs left, and a glitchy Silent Hill Arcade setup, there's some other stuff, but it's terribly barren compared to the glory days.

I don't mind paying the going rate for games, if they ask regular eBay prices that seems fair enough - so long as they aren't asking silly money fold old games just because they have a beaten up box I'll be happy.

Don't think I'll be buying much anyway as I'm gearing to purchase Zero Gunner 2 on the DC and/or an AES title.

Master of the Universe

I find I suffer from extreme spoiled for choice syndrome whenever I go into the Rage and never seem to buy anything.

I find I suffer from extreme spoiled for choice syndrome whenever I go into the Rage and never seem to buy anything.

'Option Paralysis' is the term Douglas Coupland coined for it. Alternatively, 'infinite choice and end up watching the last hour of Robocop' is Dara O'Briain's take on it.

I tend to get a dose of that occasionally but I have a cure. Find the most random japanese title you can find and attempt to purchase it for a Jack Burton amount, that usually gets me going then I can buy actual games

I only heard about this RAGE shop the other day - what do people think of it on here? Is it any good? How is it prices, and how is the range of games? I thinking about heading up to town this week if I get a chance and checking it out.... maybe have a few games up in Quirkies for myself as well :D

I like Rage the prices can get a little out of whack but a stern lecture on the value of games etc usually rectifies this.
    The lads in Rage are sound enough and you can haggle their prices, I personally have never paid the asking price for any game in Rage which I think is testiment to the fact that the lads are a cool bunch of dudes!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Try gordon freeman and you are getting close.

I'm a bit late with this as I've been away for a few days...but I've just realised now that you said it, Gordon Freeman is the man Ciderman reminded me of at the beers I went to....Good morning Mr. Freeman!!!
    Get a nomad, bitches love nomads.

Sig of the year so far.

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Gordon Freeman is the man Ciderman reminded me of at the beers I went to....Good morning Mr. Freeman!!! .

Why have I never noticed this?!?!!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

He totally needs to change his avatar to the Lambda symbol :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

How a Tetrad is born

ku2bD.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

This guy is playing through a bunch of the main Mario games all weekend to raise money for charity:

http://www.nesit.net/marathon/

Up to Mario 64 right now...

Anywhere in Dublin that sell 100 percent sealed games? I know Gamestop and HMV take'em out of their cases, to use the boxes for display, and so do Game, as far as I recall.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Anywhere in Dublin that sell 100 percent sealed games? I know Gamestop and HMV take'em out of their cases, to use the boxes for display, and so do Game, as far as I recall.

Most shops only take a couple og games from cases for display purposes. I usually ask for sealed games just to make sure none of the muppets working there have been playing my games

Master of the Universe

Anyone seen this before? You can overclock Super FX 1 games by putting a Super FX chip 2 in there. Some guy did it with Starfox. Framerate went from 21fps to 28fps.

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=525905#post525905

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, given the sh1t that went down at Black Mesa, I don't like to talk about it.

And City 17, never happened, those guys at Valve just completely changed a perfectly normal humdrum Alien invasion/foothold event that occured in Supermacs, always Supermacs, those headcrabs must be from an alternate Galway or something....

And as for Lamda, I'm planning for one as a tatt this year.
    Not sure to go for a simple orange Lamda in a circleLAMDA.jpg
    or go for some sort of HL/HL2 montage, maybe for a bigger piece later methinks.
    Half Life may be awesome sauce and HL2 amazeballs now, but in 30 years?
    On a 70 year old wrinklier me?
    Not so sure...

Master of the Universe

I never got that 'but it'll look a state when you're old and wrinkly!' arguement.

You'll be old and wrinkly ffs! A blurry tattoo will be the least of your worries :pac:

Go for it.

However, do be warned that a circle has to be one of the hardest things to draw, let alone tattoo. So make sure you go to a good place.

Here's an example of what I'm on about. Check out the wonky circle -

DSC05848.jpg

• Advertisement

Anyone seen this before? You can overclock Super FX 1 games by putting a Super FX chip 2 in there. Some guy did it with Starfox. Framerate went from 21fps to 28fps.

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=525905#post525905

Interesting. I always thought that the Super FX2 chip was different to the Super FX1 chip and was for accelerating 2D games only since no 3D games came out with Super FX2 (Doom is a 2D game before anyone says it). Seems it's just a beefed up SFX1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Looking at getting Starfox 3D at the weekend, looks great.
    Much hints of resignation and sadness as I will be parting with more money for a 15 year old game, an easy 15 year old game at that.

Master of the Universe

Interesting. I always thought that the Super FX2 chip was different to the Super FX1 chip and was for accelerating 2D games only since no 3D games came out with Super FX2 (Doom is a 2D game before anyone says it). Seems it's just a beefed up SFX1.

Yeah, must just be a coincidence that there were no 3d games for it. Shame really!
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Looking at getting Starfox 3D at the weekend, looks great.
    Much hints of resignation and sadness as I will be parting with more money for a 15 year old game, an easy 15 year old game at that.

:eek: I didn't realize it was due out so soon. Excellent :)

I know it's yet another rehash, but it's a rehash I love, so I'm going to let Nintendo away yet again and buy it the moment it comes out.

I'd like to see some of the bigger N64 games on the 3DS, I know that the love is gone but the likes of Banjo or Jet Force Gemini would be lovely with updated textures, never mind the 3D.
    But a special please goes to Blast Corps, I need that game on my 3DS! Imagine it with modern visuals!?! Superb is what it'd be!
    Once they don't do a, and I hate bringing it up, a Boulder Dash XL on it...

Rare own the rights to those games so fat chance of seeing them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement