Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Speaking of beers, whens our next get together?
    Much more fun to disagree with Retr0 in person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Speaking of beers, whens our next get together?
    Much more fun to disagree with Retr0 in person.

Soon I hope! The mother has a week off in march so if she fecks off somewhere I could host

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Always wear Adidas/Nike runners wherever I go out (not white ones, though just about ever other colour) and have never had a problem. Was even in Lillies for a birthday last weekend and it was grand. I'm ridiculously ridiculously good looking though so maybe that's why...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

ghostchant wrote: »
    Always wear Adidas/Nike runners wherever I go out (not white ones, though just about ever other colour) and have never had a problem. Was even in Lillies for a birthday last weekend and it was grand. I'm ridiculously ridiculously good looking though so maybe that's why...

You reckon bouncers fancy you? :D

Nah they just need to let me into the club to increase the average attractiveness of their punters. That's what I tell myself anyway. Maybe it's because they didn't care what shoes I had, as long as I was willing to fork over the 15 quid entry fee. :/

Incidentally, the cast of tallafornia were there. A-listers or what?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Was Pdbhp with them? Keeping their tans topped up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Was Pdbhp with them? Keeping their tans topped up!

They have the complete European supply of dodgy orange fake tan used up:confused:

On a serious note played lots of Mario3DLand last night, bloody brilliant it was.
    I also watched Space Battleship Yamato and drank lots of beer... go me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Soon I hope! The mother has a week off in march so if she fecks off somewhere I could host

Tell her she can stay at mine if she wants. icon14.gif

I can give her something that would be worth staying down here for to keep out of your hair.!:p

waveform wrote: »

I can give her something that would be worth staying down here for to keep out of your hair.!:p

Oh my :eek::D

EnterNow wrote: »
    Oh my :eek::D

I know! :o

I'll probably regret it later when the effects of last nights drinking fully wears off. :pac:

• Advertisement

Here you go!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Tallafornia idiots were out in the Porterhouse Bray a few weeks ago.

I've never seen so many members of the general public wrapped into such a frenzy over a bunch of untalented nobodies.

Society's celebration of stupidity continues.

Oh, that's the uncensored version so, if in work or at home, keep the volume down!

The Tallafornia idiots were out in the Porterhouse Bray a few weeks ago.

I've never seen so many members of the general public wrapped into such a frenzy over a bunch of untalented nobodies.

Yeah, they should worship true genius and achievement!
    The world should know Retr0 finished Castlevania!!!

:pac:
    Oh, that's the uncensored version so, if in work or at home, keep the volume down!

WORK ON THE SABBATH?

That's Blasphemy.

It actually is, literally.

Edit: How the **** did pacman get up there. hmmm

That motherlover video was fantastic btw. Not sure how it evaded me and I wasn't one of the 30 million that saw it before.

Not a fan of the X-Factor etc then? I actually detest reality celebrities & their 'opinions' on things. Fugg off like, seriously. Muppets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Don't even get me started on Karaoke-Factor :pac:

Don't even get me started on Karaoke-Factor :pac:

Surely you like Jedward at least, coz ya know, they're mad like.

Jedward-Twitpic-Pics-john-and-edward-jedward-12232065-395-480.jpg

• Advertisement

They're no Werner Herzog / Klaus Kinski.

I must be missing something about the Vita launch. There seems to be some serious hype over it, people trading in 250GB 360's for a handheld with a weak lineup of games etc :confused:

Cidey, you need to do some trollin' :p

They're no Werner Herzog / Klaus Kinski.

I don't know who they are, but if they've any modicum of talent, then yeah your right :D

I don't know who they are, but if they've any modicum of talent, then yeah your right :D

Watch Aqquire: The Wrath of God.

You can thank me later.

Watch Aqquire: The Wrath of God.

You can thank me later.

Cheers, will check it out :)

Speaking of films, I watched The Butterfly Effect there recently, I found it very very good. It's no foreign masterpiece, but for an Ashton Kutcher film its damn good.

I watched The Butterfly Effect during my 'Donnie Darko is the bestest film ever' phase as a teenager (still think it's pretty good). I hated it :(

• Advertisement

I watched The Butterfly Effect during my 'Donnie Darko is the bestest film ever' phase as a teenager (still think it's pretty good). I hated it :(

Really? Dunno, I just found it enjoyable from start to end. You had a Donnie Darko phase?? :D

Yeah was one of those films that really affected me at the time, along with the likes of Spirited Away and Eternal Sunshine (those two I still adore). Alas Richard Kelly has since proven himself as a fluke.Even the DD director's cut is a farce that suggests he himself didn't understand what made the original cut so special.

But I digress. Games, ey?

But I digress. Games, ey?

In the A&R general discussion thread? A noble sentiment for sure, but threads round here have a tough time spaying on topic as is...the general discussion one doesn't stand a chance :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I must be missing something about the Vita launch. There seems to be some serious hype over it, people trading in 250GB 360's for a handheld with a weak lineup of games etc :confused:

Cidey, you need to do some trollin' :p

Ah, I've had the vita for a nearly 2 months now and its not that bad. If you like your gadgets and have the spare cash get one. Sure it had a few bugs and the loading times on a few titles seem a bit crazy for a device that loads from memory card.
    But its a solid little device and I'm glad I grabbed it early.

It's worth it for the cool game cases alone :D

The Vita will be a grand machine and, no doubt, everyone will eventually own one, just like the PSP before it...
    BUT
    Why buy now when it's at it's most expensive?
    Why buy now when the range of games contains exactly two games worth owning?
    Why buy now when there are already some questions about button placement that will surely be addressed in a slight, unannounced redesign in a couple of months?

By simply waiting until Autumn much of what is holding me back from owning one will be sorted, it'll be cheaper for a start and have more games for it!

• Advertisement

The Vita will be a grand machine and, no doubt, everyone will eventually own one, just like the PSP before it...
    BUT
    Why buy now when there are already some questions about button placement that will surely be addressed in a slight, unannounced redesign in a couple of months?

By simply waiting until Autumn much of what is holding me back from owning one will be sorted, it'll be cheaper for a start and have more games for it!

Why wait if you want it now?

If you can get some enjoyment out of it now and its not going to put you under pressure, why not get it?
    I know that's not the way everyone thinks(luckily), but its the way I am :rolleyes:

I don't have kids or any of those sort of responsibilities so I probably look at things a little more carefree than some. When I do have kids and family and all that stuff I'm sure my attitude will change.
    So in 40 years when I'm thinking about maybe having a baby with my 21 year old supermodel girlfriend(not wife) I'll be holding off on making silly purchases until at least revision b.

Well, in fairness Steve, as the man who has no qualms buying two (or more) of almost everything you're in a very small majority here ;)

Having had no experience of 'comfortable' clash flow yet, I approach things from a very different perspective - heck, I'm pretty sure a DS phat is the only console I've ever bought at launch.

But given the way things have played out time and time again, I'm increasingly weary of splashing out on something that is initially little more than an impressive but shallow paper weight. Pretty much every console will (or will not) eventually reach a point when it is truly to enticing to pass up. Whether it's a price drop or a strong software line-up. The Vita IMO is quite some time away from that point yet. From the perspective of the skint student, of course ;)

Steve SI wrote: »
    Ah, I've had the vita for a nearly 2 months now and its not that bad. If you like your gadgets and have the spare cash get one. Sure it had a few bugs and the loading times on a few titles seem a bit crazy for a device that loads from memory card.
    But its a solid little device and I'm glad I grabbed it early.

It's worth it for the cool game cases alone :D

I could live with hardware bugs, load times etc, the killer is the lineup. It's also overpriced, requiring mandatory overpriced proprietary memory. I don't see how its justified, but if you have the spare cash I guess why not :)

I'll get one eventually, but like IncontinenceMan, it'll be when the console & price sweet spot line up.

By the time you are finished paying for the Wifi version plus a memory card you have seen 280 euro gone.
    Throw a few games in there, some PSN points maybe, and thats another 100.
    So, around €380 spent....
    On games that really don't warrant the spend, Uncharted looks like fun but cuts out the very thing that was so attractive, the big cinematic set-pieces.
    Wipeout looks cool but how many people, aside from me, still play Wipeout? Since when did it sell consoles?
    Why not announce a new Gran Turismo or something?
    Sony are kinda hamstrung, it's not like they have a much loved FPS franchise to port to it, unless you count the "meh" of Resistance and Killzone.
    So, we can expect Ratchet and Clank as well as Jak and Daxter in the immediate future of the Vita for sure.
    All your favourite PS3 titles! But then, you already own a PS3!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Jesus , look I can just about afford a PSP now..;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Someone offered €150 for that C64 and he said no?

HAHAHA. Wow. There's one thing I find funnier than people with deluded asking prices, and that's when they decline an offer which is far higher than they should be getting.

I just feel like shaking them and screaming 'TAKE THE OFFER YOU ****ING MUPPET!'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Why not announce a new Gran Turismo or something?

When was the last time they annouced a Gran Turismo at the launch of a console that didn't take 5+ years to arrive?

Poor man's argument.....
    BUT
    Why buy now when there are already some questions about button placement that will surely be addressed in a slight, unannounced redesign in a couple of months.

VS

Rich man's argument....
    Why wait if you want it now?

If you can get some enjoyment out of it now and its not going to put you under pressure, why not get it?
    I know that's not the way everyone thinks(luckily), but its the way I am :rolleyes:

I don't have kids or any of those sort of responsibilities so I probably look at things a little more carefree than some. When I do have kids and family and all that stuff I'm sure my attitude will change.
    So in 40 years when I'm thinking about maybe having a baby with my 21 year old supermodel girlfriend(not wife) I'll be holding off on making silly purchases until at least revision b.

It sucks being in the poor man category! I feel ya cidey.

And HELLO LIKE! RECESSION????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Vita? Pff, where's the 3D yo?

It's rarely about expense tbh.
    If there was a game I had to play I'd find a way to buy it, no problems, with the lead in time to the launch that would have been fine.
    However...
    There isn't a compelling reason for me to buy one yet.
    In fact, it seems that much of the console buying public in Japan feel the same way.
    Had there been a Ridge Racer title in the mix, maybe an innovative puzzler like Lumines as well, I'd probably have signed up, but there wasn't so I don't want one yet.
    We shall see if this is reflected in the US and Euro launches.

Early adopters adopt early, not for the great games but for the chance to have some new silicon in your hands, I was that soldier with many devices, not the PS3 though, again down to the launch line up.
    I picked up the Dreamcast, from Japan, at launch... I had to live with the initial games too, I think Virtua Fighter, Incoming and Pen Pen Tri-icelon were the ones I had.
    Of those VF was the only one worth anything, and I spent A LOT of money on that Sega stuff!
    In retrospect I would have waited for the Euro launch, best of stuff came out, MSR being still a firm favourite.
    I bought a PSP in from Canada when it was launched but I did get Ridge Racers with it, and that kept me going for the while before the game roster "filled out" somewhat.

So, to recap, it's not the money, not really, if there was a compelling reason to own a PSVita, a reason not simply down to the hardware itself, then I'd have one, but there isn't, it doesn't do anything new without a game in it and with the current range of titles in it still doesn't make me want to get my credit card out!

Poor man's argument.....

VS

Rich man's argument....

It sucks being in the poor man category! I feel ya cidey.

Tis far from a rich man i am, but i do like my gadgets and stuff(more than most people probably).

Plus, I bought the vita off a Japanese girl in a silver bikini, you just wont get that at the Dublin launch :D

And I wouldn't classify myself as a poor man, certainly not with the volume of retro stuff I've been buying of late.
    Fact is life has a habit of reordering the hierarchy of demands on available fundage.
    So, what once was a must have buy then, later, comes somewhere below heating oil, food and mortgage payments.
    The 3DS beat that trend by having two games I had to play, Ridge Racer 3D and Pilotwings, it had a new feature I wanted to use, 3D, and I have never been let down by a Nintendo product, in terms of never regretting the purchase.
    The Vita has the poor luck of having one game I'd like to play, Wipeout, no really interesting new features, nothing I can't get on other devices, and I regretted buying the PSP at launch because, ultimately, it wound up in a drawer and the DS got far more playtime.
    In fact I am on my 3rd PSP at the mo, having been unable to justify, initially, owning a paperweight that was worth around 100 to 200 euro, depending on the year I decided to sell.

Oh, and I got my 3DS from a girl working in HMV, wearing a HMV staff shirt.... not a silver bikini I'll grant you but those HMV girls can be pretty attractive!

It's Adverts so yeah, yeah I'm pretty sure they are :(

Adverts.ie - Expect The unexpected :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

o1s1n wrote: »
    Someone offered €150 for that C64 and he said no?

HAHAHA. Wow. There's one thing I find funnier than people with deluded asking prices, and that's when they decline an offer which is far higher than they should be getting
    I just feel like shaking them and screaming 'TAKE THE OFFER YOU ****ING MUPPET!'
    That annoys the f**k out of me , I had one similar boxed one up for 80 last year ,got 1 chap doing ...oh eBay is 30 quid.. And nothing else...

Tis far from a rich man i am, but i do like my gadgets and stuff(more than most people probably).

Plus, I bought the vita off a Japanese girl in a silver bikini, you just wont get that at the Dublin launch :D

It's funny how asian women will dress like that (or undress) when they see a rich western man. ;)

Did you she give you some sucky sucky too? :P

Had there been a Ridge Racer title in the mix, maybe an innovative puzzler like Lumines as well, I'd probably have signed up, but there wasn't so I don't want one yet.

I could very well be reading this wrong, but you know that ridge racer and lumines are launch titles yeah?

Well,launch title doesn't mean what it used to, now it means "launch window " which could mean anytime from now until the middle of summer.
    And yes, if I see Ridge Racer rocking on the Vital I may sell a kidney for it.
    If I see Ridge Racer looking just like the PS3 edition I may wait a while.
    And Ridge Racer Unbounded doesn't count!

• Advertisement

Well,launch title doesn't mean what it used to, now it means "launch window " which could mean anytime from now until the middle of summer.
    And yes, if I see Ridge Racer rocking on the Vital I may sell a kidney for it.
    If I see Ridge Racer looking just like the PS3 edition I may wait a while.
    And Ridge Racer Unbounded doesn't count!

They're both launch-day titles. Feb 22nd release dates. The launch-day line up is one of the strongest I've seen in a while

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement