Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Any idea why my Amiga 1200 shows crrrrappp quality via composite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Because it's composite? :pac:

Buy an RGB cable.

Where do I plug that into? o0

Master of the Universe

One end into your Amiga, the other end into the RGB socket in your TV! :D

You can put a RGB cable into the composite of the Amiga? o_0
    (fairly new to this, always used composite and never knew any different)

Master of the Universe

An A1200 can do RGB perfectly, the cable looks like this -

amiga-rgb-to-scart.jpg

Definitely pick one up! They're not that much really and composite looks like arse!

Scart > composite? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

zOMG!I just beat Crasher Wash using Infernape :eek: you may worship me now..

Master of the Universe

Scart > composite? :confused::confused:

You gotta be trolling me now? :D

Not only is RGB scart a million times better than composite, some of the pins even carry a composite signal if you feel like subjecting yourself to it's uglyness.

Composite has dot crawl -

Crawl.jpg

RGB scart gives absolutely perfect solid picture and colour.

Just make sure you buy an RGB scart cable (some scart cables are 'pretend' RGB and only support composite) and that you plug it into the RGB scart socket on your tv (most have two but only one support RGB..if you plug it into the wrong one you'll only see ugly composite)

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    You gotta be trolling me now? :D

Not only is RGB scart a million times better than composite, some of the pins even carry a composite signal if you feel like subjecting yourself to it's uglyness.

Composite has dot crawl -

Crawl.jpg

RGB scart gives absolutely perfect solid picture and colour.

Just make sure you buy an RGB scart cable (some scart cables are 'pretend' RGB and only support composite) and that you plug it into the RGB scart socket on your tv (most have two but only one support RGB..if you plug it into the wrong one you'll only see ugly composite)
    Bah that explains why the quality was so crap on my audiophile PS1. I was expecting a sharper image and even my dad who doesn't play games was complaining.
    I'll be purchasing something decent from Harvey Norman tomorrow then!
    :)

Master of the Universe

That would explain it alright! You seriously need to RGB up any old console which supports it (most of them do). The picture quality is stunning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Really considering getting one of those gamecube component cables. If I had money in my paypal I'd have gotten it already, anyone know if they are worth the serious bobage that they go for?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Another RGB convert! How many bloody times do we have to say how awful composite is! :P

As for GC component cables, they were only released in the US through mail order so are pretty rare alright.

Thought they were japan aswell? some of the boxes on ebay seem to have jap writing on them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yup they are but not sure what the deal was with availability in japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Getting fed up with all these leading questions

So to end all discussion we need to ask what is most important

What lead makes Boulder Dash look the best?

Answer below

415cj5eYcaL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

END OF DISCUSSION!!!!!!!!!!!!

Master of the Universe

What are you saying, that Boulder Dash is so awful looking it's best viewed through RF interference? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I was walking past Sparks house the other day and happened to catch a video of him playing Boulder Dash via his RF cable.
    It's the best I've ever seen the game look I must admit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

How much is a gameboy actually worth? The original one now.
    One up on adverts for €30 and has two offers of 30 all ready.
    It's in good nick but it's loose and 1 loose cart with it.
    I've noticed they go for a bit in eBay as well. Wtf like? Is there like not absolutely gazillions of them out there?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I would have only thought about €20 or so. Maybe €30 if it's in great condition. Far from valuable anyway!

Steve SI wrote: »
    I was walking past Sparks house the other day and happened to catch a video of him playing Boulder Dash via his RF cable.
    It's the best I've ever seen the game look I must admit.

Im seriously insulted that you would think that i would allow the butterflies to stay safe and trapped by careless controlling:mad:

What are you saying, that Boulder Dash is so awful looking it's best viewed through RF interference? :p

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your arse

And may your arms grow too short to scratch:mad:

If its a DMG-01 and is in absolute mint condition, and I mean really mint it can go for a few quid.
    No more than 30 though in my experience on ebay and I picked up 3 mint ones last year for around 9-10 sterling each not including delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Didn't think they were that expensive. Picked up a boxed one off eBay about 3 years ago for something like €15 posted

I've had this on in the background while I've been working tonight. What a brilliant game!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNJIHNKHw_4&feature=related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I've had this on in the background while I've been working tonight. What a brilliant game!

When I was over in the UK, they'd this shop with all old games (it closed down between visits) and I got an almost new HoD in there for about a fiver.
    Only played it once after that, never got very far same as Another World, both still fun anyway (for awhile)

Anyone here on underground gamer?

Just wondering if i donate do i jump up to the top of the pile and can then rape and pillage everything in sight without having to worry about upload ratio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I got one off eBay recently for €18 boxed, still waiting on it though. Just I've seen a few on adverts go for a bit. One down the road in limerick went for nearly a 100 if I recall correctly.
    You can see some mad sales at times.

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Anyone here on underground gamer?

Just wondering if i donate do i jump up to the top of the pile and can then rape and pillage everything in sight without having to worry about upload ratio

i aint admitting to anything but no, donating will not allow you to pillage.

What you get, you must give back equally to stay a member.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I enjoyed it a lot when it came out... would love to play it again.

Gotta love the super awesome 3D section at the end.
    It's not that awesome.

i aint admitting to anything but no, donating will not allow you to pillage.

What you get, you must give back equally to stay a member.

I have no problem seeding back but I want files that I would get banned for because I'm new
    Does donating give any benefits?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Think I still have my old PC copy knocking around somewhere. Always amazed at how insanely cruel and brutal the death animations are :pac:

I have no problem seeding back but I want files that I would get banned for because I'm new
    Does donating give any benefits?

Just had a quick look, looks like you can buy access by donating.
    It's not very clear so best to do a bit of research on it.

Cheers m8 iwill check it out in the morning

I would have no problem donating a few quid if would give me a buffer to download a big file that I could then seed back

Cheers m8 iwill check it out in the morning

I would have no problem donating a few quid if would give me a buffer to download a big file that I could then seed back

Yeah, no probs.
    Looks like 20 dollars will lock your ration at 1.0, which is what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Daft Punk chiptune albums (someone else might like this too :P)
    DA_CHIP_-_Front.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Pendelton Ward (creator of Adventure Time) just drew a picture of him and Tim Schafer playing Trenched:

522303855.jpg?key=1000690&Expires=1329878540&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=pAKfqaN6qGUcr1y2E02k3P2eDp6PVDDGV~npA9uN4NlLbBlLSC~Pt~K1RK1plmHhVv9y5ZPZnbLyMu8dPP2~omzaPjcee278Ah8H397ZcKCKqvBxvxUBoaKf3lzQcjYW8ydKv--bFWDaZ4lxLCucOBvRYnR-OouATfbX1RMJ32o_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yeah, no probs.
    Looks like 20 dollars will lock your ration at 1.0, which is what you want.

Torrents? Sparks....tut tut

€20 will get you a month on usenet. Torrents really are ghey

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

€20 a month is €240 a year.

€2400 for 10 years.

€12000 for 50 years.

Think of all the lovely games you could buy with that!

Torrents on the other hand, are free. And with everyone having broadband these days, they fly down in seconds/minutes.

€20 a month is €240 a year.

€2400 for 10 years.

€12000 for 50 years.

Think of all the lovely games you could buy with that!

Torrents on the other hand, are free. And with everyone having broadband these days, they fly down in seconds/minutes.

He doesn't have to commit to a year though.

Torrents are unsecure, antiquated, & dog slow. Especially for non mainstream stuff like Xbox 1 files I'd imagine. I switched to usenet in 09, havn't regretted it at all.

Actually Giganews are doing $4.99 a month with a 5GB limit, $9.99 for 10GB, $14.99 for 50GB, & $24.99 for unlimited bandwidth. All come with 256bit SSL too & will max out your connection every time.

It craps all over torrents

Yeah I'm on a dog **** connection and I dont use torrents. Hosted files are the way to go I think. Reliable and I can que them all up using IDM.

My ISP doesnt like torrents and give out when you go near them. So thats why my download folder is called "**** YOU EIRCOM"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

EnterNow wrote: »

Torrents are unsecure, antiquated, & dog slow. Especially for non mainstream stuff like Xbox 1 files I'd imagine. I switched to usenet in 09, havn't regretted it at all.

Depends on the torrent.

They all have their own individuality!

How DARE you tar them with the same brush!

€20 a month is pricey tbh, I wouldn't download enough stuff to justify that cost.

looks like theres no point in getting that gamecube cable now :(

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=90373

Just go RGB sure

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I dunno man, torrents were crap slow in the past. You'd be waiting weeks for some content.

Ever since I got on UPC broadband though, everything flies down. I haven't found myself waiting for something to download in a very long time. I set the download up and then when I think of going back to uTorrent to take a look, it's done.

The only problems really are locating obscure music and games, but then I just normally go to Soulseek or Snesorama for that.

If Snesorama doesn't find some sort of replacement, then Usenet may be the only way to go for that kind of thing. ACTA may end up forcing us all that way too.

Soulseek is still going? completely forgot about that! I never bothered installing it on my new pc. Been well over a year since I used it, worth getting it again?

ACTA may end up forcing us all that way too.

True that, torrent traffic is easy to shape & throttle also & the likes of Eircom are known to do this. I also find Torrents a minefield of virus ridden crap, not for the untechnical mind. Not that all usenet stuff is clean, but its organised so much better into proper groupings & there's generally a far far wider of selection.

You must be loving UPC man, I remember not too long ago you were using a meteor dongle for interwebbage acces

Master of the Universe

Soulseek is still going? completely forgot about that! I never bothered installing it on my new pc. Been well over a year since I used it, worth getting it again?

I haven't been on it in a little while myself, but it's always been an amazing source of harder to find music. Last time I checked it was all still there. Definitely worth installing on your pc again.

You must be loving UPC man, I remember not too long ago you were using a meteor dongle for interwebbage acces

Two years with a Meteor dongle. Was hell. I try not to think about it!

Worst thing was I was bang in the city centre, across from the IFSC. You think the whole area would be blanketed with great broadband.

I can't get over how fast UPC is though. Really feel like I'm not using it to it's limits and should be playing games online or something.

True that, torrent traffic is easy to shape & throttle also & the likes of Eircom are known to do this. I also find Torrents a minefield of virus ridden crap, not for the untechnical mind. Not that all usenet stuff is clean, but its organised so much better into proper groupings & there's generally a far far wider of selection.

I've used usenet since around 2000/01(or hotclient before that, anyone remember that?) but in the last few years I've not really needed it as whatever I want can be got from torrents(or magnet links as the case may be now).
    And as someone with a 200MB line I can tell you that it's rare a torrent doesn't max it out or max out the amount of bandwidth I allow it. Most of my stuff comes from private trackers so they are usually better seeded than the likes of the pirate bay etc(and don't have retention timed downloads like usenet).

But usenet is great and I'm glad its there, i just don't need it at the moment. But if certain laws and restrictions ever come into play I'm sure I'll be heading back that way.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement