Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Is it any good? Quite interested in Warps games. It's probably not that far along though if it is. Apparently it would have looked far better than anything on the PS1 or N64.

Anything interesting to report about the hardware, does it have bilinear texture filtering like the N64?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Is it any good? Quite interested in Warps games. It's probably not that far along though if it is. Apparently it would have looked far better than anything on the PS1 or N64.

Anything interesting to report about the hardware, does it have bilinear texture filtering like the N64?

Love to know your opinions on this also, remember reading about D2 in Edge many, many years ago and conversely my dissapointment at learning of it, and the M2's cancellation. D2 on the dreamcast is poor compensation considering how interminably dull it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Was bored today and decided to throw on a FPS game. Didn't really have anything decent on hand so put on the Xbox and Halo. Decided to try legendary difficulty and I have to say it's opened my eyes why people love the game so much. Legendary really completely changes how the game is played and the AI becomes and absolute masterclass. Just like with Castlevania I've a new found appreciation for this game. It's probably the finest FPS available on its release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ciderman is right, Streets of Rage is indeed crap. I don't know what I've been thinking all these years :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Was bored today and decided to throw on a FPS game. Didn't really have anything decent on hand so put on the Xbox and Halo. Decided to try legendary difficulty and I have to say it's opened my eyes why people love the game so much. Legendary really completely changes how the game is played and the AI becomes and absolute masterclass. Just like with Castlevania I've a new found appreciation for this game. It's probably the finest FPS available on its release.

Ah it's past midnight I see!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

whats with all this boards gold account I'm suddenly reading about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

whats with all this boards gold account I'm suddenly reading about?

Read Retro's above post about Halo and mind your head when the penny drops :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

It does have bilinear filtering on the hardware side of things all right. You can enable and disable the different effects on a lot of the dev games and demos(but not D2).

It's working again today after leaving it off overnight. So thats good news :)

Edit:
    If anyone is on the look out for an M2 that isnt a prototype then they need to find someone who works in the vending machine business in Japan.

Master of the Universe

Anyone pick up the Gamegear titles on the 3DS virtual console? Think I will now. I've heard there are some really nice little features (like an GG emulated backlight) - and with Sega's current financial woes, every little helps!

M2 did the emulation and currently they make the best commerical emulators around and did the later Sega Ages collections for the PS2 that were amazing. I read on 1up that it's much better than the Gameboy emulation since you can emulate the backlight, the screen blur and it isn't a pain in the arse to play the game in the original resolution.

• Advertisement

I just found a way to play as Goro in mortal kombat. Also did you know you an resurrect Aerith in Final Fantasy? Just use a Pheonix Down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I just found a way to play as Goro in mortal kombat. Also did you know you an resurrect Aerith in Final Fantasy? Just use a Pheonix Down.

As in the MK from 'the golden era' of gaming? Or the MK of today?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

After twelve, retr0, after twelve.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just watched the (rather good) last episode of Persona 4: The Animation to discover there's actually a 'true' final episode that isn't being released until the last DVD comes out in August.

I thought they only did that in games :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Just watched the (rather good) last episode of Persona 4: The Animation to discover there's actually a 'true' final episode that isn't being released until the last DVD comes out in August.

I thought they only did that in games :(
    Aww what.

I'll have forgotten all about it by then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭coats

sparks on fm104 now talking about retro games:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Well the forum got a plug and i spent nearly 10 minutes talking about retro gaming

Bollocks didnt mention Boulder Dash :mad::mad::mad:

Going to shoot myself now:(

Bye all:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Well the forum got a plug and i spent nearly 10 minutes talking about retro gaming

Bollocks didnt mention Boulder Dash :mad::mad::mad:

Going to shoot myself now:(

Bye all:(

Can I have your games minus boulderdash as I presume you'll be taking take with you into the afterlife.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Can I have your games minus boulderdash as I presume you'll be taking take with you into the afterlife.

If you dont take Boulder Dash then you get nothing :mad:

I shall kill you and enjoy my 72 Rockfords in the afterlife :D

aw, i missed it :(

• Advertisement

aw, i missed it :(

Its ok i wasn't talking about the CD-i

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Sparks43 wrote: »
    If you dont take Boulder Dash then you get nothing :mad:

I shall kill you and enjoy my 72 Rockfords in the afterlife :D

Mmmm...Death or Boulderdash? Going to need a while on this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

A Leisure Suit Larry Kickstarter has just gone live:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1451923705/make-leisure-suit-larry-come-again

Would be great if those games weren't all pretty much awful!

Anyone know much about modding Neo Geo sticks? I got one recently and not impressed after getting accustomed to seimetsu's and Sanwa's from playing fighting games. The stick is ok, would love to mod it with a seimetsu but the buttons aren't great at all. You have to press them in a good bit for them to register. I'd much rather some ultra sensitive Sanwa buttons since it's a bit of a pain for some games like Samurai Shodown that require you to press 2 or more buttons at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Anyone know much about modding Neo Geo sticks? I got one recently and not impressed after getting accustomed to seimetsu's and Sanwa's from playing fighting games. The stick is ok, would love to mod it with a seimetsu but the buttons aren't great at all. You have to press them in a good bit for them to register. I'd much rather some ultra sensitive Sanwa buttons since it's a bit of a pain for some games like Samurai Shodown that require you to press 2 or more buttons at the same time.

The AES one ? Buttons look like there recessed molded carriers, provided there isn't a pcb underneath then you could possibly route out the hole to accommodate a new button - would look poxy though.

I'm building my own Neogeo controller at the mo (with Sanwa buttons) as the neogeo cd one sucks. I'll let you know how it goes :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My gods!
    The Neo Geo stick is awesome!
    How could you advocate butchering it???
    You sick twisted Balbriggan person!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Game Staff posted this
    526777_214535471980477_211449068955784_301719_409073223_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

I've just encountered the Mega Drive Game Genie for the first time! :D

sega-tower-of-power.jpg

segengg.jpg

Bit of a Scary Design! But I guess if the extra socket was to side of the cartridge (still facing vertical), there would a lot of diagonal force on the internal connector when you push a cartridge in.

The AES one ? Buttons look like there recessed molded carriers, provided there isn't a pcb underneath then you could possibly route out the hole to accommodate a new button - would look poxy though.

I'm building my own Neogeo controller at the mo (with Sanwa buttons) as the neogeo cd one sucks. I'll let you know how it goes :)

Yup that's the one. Might think about building one myself or ask KO Kiki about it.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    My gods!
    The Neo Geo stick is awesome!
    How could you advocate butchering it???
    You sick twisted Balbriggan person!

It was a great controller for its time. However my problem is having hung around with the street fighter competitive scene and experienced what good quality sanwa and seimetsu parts can do and to be honest, in comparison the Neo Geo stick is a cheap toy. You really want buttons that react to the lightest touch, there's far too much give on the Neo Geo buttons. The stick is a bit better but still it's not up to the better quality ones you can get from those two manufacturers.

• Advertisement

I think it was a bit too harsh on Legend of Dragoon and now I want to play it again for some more of these nuggets:

Picture701.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

god ebay auctions are so rigged, fufufu.jpg

This game is absolute gold!

198758.jpg

Being a bellend to women, Legend of Dragoon style:

198759.jpg

198760.jpg

198761.jpg

I've even more if people want to see them tomorrow?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Given the talk about how to get a bit of jiggy jiggy with a girl using Duke Nukem phrases, I wonder how far one would get with a Legend of Dragoon script... a smack in the puss I'd say.
    The "receive your fist" sounds a tad uncomfortable mind, unless the Master has really small hands....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Another one bites the dust! Peats closing down or possible already closed.
    It's gone into liquidation :(

• Advertisement

Already closed.

Didn't realise they had 11 branches. Guess they over reached.

Got my Gameboy there almost exactly 21 years ago.

Amazed they lasted that long. They were always silly expensive, although saying that I got my PSU for my neo geo from them the other day.

They were silly to move more and more away from doing electrical parts though. As they did tend to be cheap than Maplin on that stuff.

Master of the Universe

Jaysus, at this rate there won't be such thing as a walk in store for electronics in a few years.

Not that I bought anything in them, but they're nice to browse!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    Jaysus, at this rate there won't be such thing as a walk in store for electronics in a few years.

Not that I bought anything in them, but they're nice to browse!

That's the problem. If you happen to be down that part of town then yeah, nice to go in and have a look about, see how much a 50" HD TV goes for these days but hardly ever buy anything from them. Far too expensive.

• Advertisement

DinoRex wrote: »
    Already closed.

Didn't realise they had 11 branches. Guess they over reached charged.

Fixed.

Obviously no place for pre-recession pricing. The store was always crazy expensive.

How is Mr. Calculator doing these days?

Probably still has a US copy of SF2 Turbo in the window for 120 euros.

Master of the Universe

But didn't you know, sun bleaching increases the value.

It's rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I thought Mr. Calculator was long gone. Remember you could get Japanese Pokemon cards there, everyone in my school must have called into him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Seems the rage are asking for photos of collections on their facebook. I already recognised one album that got put up :P

http://www.facebook.com/RageDublin

Seems the rage are asking for photos of collections on their facebook. I already recognised one album that got put up :P

http://www.facebook.com/RageDublin

Pity they can't put their own up :rolleyes::p

Edit - at least now their FB is public, I couldn't see it a while ago as you had to have an account.

Atavans ultimate girl

i-play-retro-games-playstation-2-thumb.jpg

C6YMQ.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement