Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Ah yes, the Xbox and it's feckin clock, a feature they left in the 360, if it's not plugged in you have to reset it, arse!

Why did M$ leave this 'feature' in? Its so annoying. Date is always 2005 when i boot back up. I dont want my system plugged in all the time just so a light on the mains can be on and light up my room at night. That thing costs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The 360 has no internal clock in that sense...the time is sync'ed when XBL is used :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think its Ok if plugged in. Nice corporate responsibility from MS.

Worst thing is that it can screw up game saves - if you aren't connected to the net when you save it can cause havoc with autoloads.

I think its Ok if plugged in. Nice corporate responsibility from MS.

Worst thing is that it can screw up game saves - if you aren't connected to the net when you save it can cause havoc with autoloads.

It needs more than just a net connection, my 360's are on the home network but no XBL acounts on them....it's always 2005 :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

When I was playing Half Life 2 back in the day on the Xbox I was always having save game issues, due to the fact that I had to unplug the device between play sessions, this is pre the gamesroom days.
    As a result, I'd lash on the machine, set the clock and start playing the autoloaded game save, which wasn't the one I had been playing as I had last played it and not fixed the clock, as a result I had the distinct feeling of Deja Vu as I played through the same area all over again, or the autosave saves over your precious file....
    Ah, good times...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah, 2005, when Transformers Movies still had the power make you imagine they'd be great, only to take a large, loose dump upon your dreams instead.

Shia LaBeouf,
    fast becoming the Gerard Butler of movies, when you see his name in the credits it screams "Stay Away!".
    Kinda the anti-Kurt Russell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I honestly couldn't tell you anything about 2005 off the top of my head.

After 2000 hit I not only lost track of the years, but track of general film, music, technological and anything 'culturally' relevant to this modern generation.

It's like it's all just one big long vapid year since the new millenium.

Maybe it's just because my long promised hoverbikes and hover cars never appeared :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

2005: not a bad year. Film-wise you had Cache, Squid and the Whale, Me You and Everyone We Know, Batman Begins, The New World, King Kong (what? I liked it!) etc... Gamewise you had King Kong (what? I liked it!), Guitar hero, Psychonauts, Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, DMC3 (and to a lesser degree God of War), Strangers Wrath, Zelda: Minish Cap... And that's just a quick wiki!

I think every year always has its good and bad stuff. Kind of gets to a point where a year is a rather random basis for judging things! But 2005? Pretty, pretty, pretty good.

Master of the Universe

Hah, I haven't seen any of those films, not even Batman Begins :D

Some great games there!

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Not even Batman Begins :D

:eek: So good! My list was getting a bit pretentious so I threw that in. But it really is very good indeed.

King Kong was excellent and the game was a damn fine launch game and movie tie in.
    Not all movies need to be cerebral and in portuguese to be valid!
    Or do movies have to be in korean these days??

And, I agree, the 00's have felt kinda featureless, but that doesn't really match up to reality, if you could juxtapose 2000 and 2011 you'd see plenty of differences, world politics, technology, culture etc.
    Apple was still something that twats with an graphic design degree prattled on about.
    The Dreamcast still looked like a good idea.
    America was seen as a nice place to visit.
    Iraq was seen as a safety buffer against Iran, not too bad as long as you weren't a Kurd.
    Fox still told lies, some things never change.
    We had an economy.
    We nurses were paid feck all and I was laughed at by mates in the building trade, WHO'S LAUGHING NOW ASSHOLLES!
    Some of you had yet to stop being fascinated by your own excreta, a state some of you are still in.
    Retr0 was still in primary school but was practising "Dr." symbols before his name in the margins of his copy books.
    Sera had no idea what lay in store for her, but at least she had a Tamagotchi to keep her warm until Retr0 turned up.

And in 2000, Goldeneye was still considered, by everyone to be pretty great!

King Kong was excellent and the game was a damn fine launch game and movie tie in.
    Not all movies need to be cerebral and in portuguese to be valid!
    Or do movies have to be in korean these days??

Japanese preferably, but Korean's second best.

But yeah, King Kong is awesome. It is over long, I admit that. But Jackson made a very entertaining film altogether. With dinosaurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Japanese preferably, but Korean's second best.

But yeah, King Kong is awesome. It is over long, I admit that. But Jackson made a very entertaining film altogether. With dinosaurs.

When I first saw KingKong I had very low expectations for it and was totally amazed by the movie even that fat little turd Jack Black couldn't ruin it.
    Thats testament to how good a movie it is because Jack Black has to be one of the worst actors on the planet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

King Kong had the worst CGI since the music video for "Go West" by The Pet Shop Boys.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Retr0 was still in primary school but was practising "Dr." symbols before his name in the margins of his copy books.
    Sera had no idea what lay in store for her, but at least she had a Tamagotchi to keep her warm until Retr0 turned up.

Hey 2000 was my leaving cert year and my first year of college :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Korean cinema is bloody amazing. Been a fan of it for years and years. All my limited editions and box set stuff is in lock up in the UK. :(

If I had to recommend just 3 Korean movies you simply have to watch before you die, they are (in order):

1. ...ing
    2. Il Mare
    3. Natural City

Just buy the R3's at Yesasia and watch them already!

I have the ...ing limited edition folder which is one of the best R3 set's I've come across as well as the lovely Il Mare magnetic gatebook and Natural City steelcase.

Great films, pretty packaging!

...or you can watch ...ing on YouTube. Don't be put off lads by the soppy premise, I guarantee you this film is bloody brilliant. Promise.

I am very fond of South Korean cinema, they've really upped their game in recent years. Have been working through the filmography of Lee Chang-dong over the last few weeks after seeing his recent Poetry. Definitely worth checking out his films, Oasis particularly (imagine a more subtle, strange take on My Left Foot). And I'd say I Saw the Devil is the most entertaining film of the year, tied maybe with Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy ;) They're definitely making the best genre films out of anyone at the moment - and not just revenge films, although there is a lovable surplus of them!

Japanese cinema will always be my first cinematic love, but if we're to pick 'favourites' in terms of country its surprising how many fantastic films have come out of Korea in the last decade. Maybe North Korea too, but who the **** knows about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

how did you know? lol jk
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHMJTp7Q82KwW2Y_XSjYwiipGT5OfAgxA1WhMvbrqvR5zMG3RbMg
    didn't need a Tamagotchi, I'd a Saturn and the Nightopians :pac:
    I am very fond of South Korean cinema
    +1
    Japanese cinema will always be my first cinematic love, but if we're to pick 'favourites' in terms of country its surprising how many fantastic films have come out of Korea in the last decade. Maybe North Korea too, but who the **** knows about that?
    at the start I watched a few of each Japanese and Korean, then kept on watching Korean films so I'd almost pick them over Japan. I'd love to see more animation stuff, this is off like a DVD animation students made (I think?), there's a good few on it but this is my favourite ~

Xtravision used to have Tartan Asia cheap, I remember the first ones I bought were Wishing Stairs, A Bittersweet Life and Premonition (not the one with Sandra Bullock). There's tons left there to watch but I'm very slow to watch films by myself though, actually have ...Ing on my list.

Tartan Asia Extreme was a wonderful series - there was a lot of generic J-Horror crapola, but they really got a lot of people into Asian cinema. Audition, The Vengeance Trilogy, Ringu (the most obvious one) etc... The absolutely bonkers Save The Green Planet was another highlight from the series.

If you like A Bittersweet Life, the director's other films are even more awesome. A Tale of Two Sisters, The Good the Bad and The Weird, and I Saw the Devil are some of the best genre films of the last decade.

These guys are the best distributors of quirky Asian cinema in the absence of Tartan. Love Exposure is a four hour long head**** of upskirt photography and religious satire. Confessions is Japan's superb attempt at a revenge film (demented, of course). And Cold Fish is the most endearingly hyperviolent film of 2011, easy. And there's so much more, but I think it would seriously be dragging this thread even more off topic than it usually is :P

• Advertisement

Not a huge fan of Korean cinema.
    Enjoy the occasional bout of Amelie or City of Lost Children though.
    I find myself drawn to more and more 50s/60s/70s science fiction books rather than movies tbh, everyone should try to read Black Easter and Cities In Flight, brilliant, I'm sure the pdf's can be found, out there somewhere, Black Easter is a hard one to find, I should know, I have owned 2 copies and both got half-inched!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

The absolutely bonkers Save The Green Planet was another highlight from the series.
    Retr0 has it sure he told me how good it was so I know about it.
    If you like A Bittersweet Life, the director's other films are even more awesome. A Tale of Two Sisters, The Good the Bad and The Weird, and I Saw the Devil are some of the best genre films of the last decade.
    I got AToTS as a birthday present last year but haven't watched it yet, will definitely check out TGTB&TW and IStD if it's the same guy :D thanks
    Enjoy the occasional bout of Amelie
    Amelie is one of my favourite films of all OF ALL TIME, it's my feel good film

Anyone who hates Amelie is a bitter, joyless individual :pac:

(no offense intended if anyone here doesn't like Amelie. I'm just talking in general terms)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I find myself drawn to more and more 50s/60s/70s science fiction books rather than movies tbh, ...

I've never had time for science fiction or fiction of any kind when it comes to books. Always felt it was a waste of time reading a book if you're not learning something about the real world, that's also probably something to do with having bugger all free time these days. Popular Science is where it's at (I noted you've come across the delights of Richard P. Feynman too).

Yet when it comes to films sci-fi is one of my favourite genres, something to turn the brain off for 2hrs. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Save the Green Planet is one of the best films I've ever seen. It might seem completely bonkers but it actually makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

If you want a bonkers storyline try this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290808/

The film is crap though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

just saw this on imdb front page

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3866598425

Dunno what to make of it, solid cast and has a really different stlye to most films out there

We've established SC-OCD and *sniff sniff*-OCD....but this is errr........just odd. Check out yer mans hands. :confused:

Whats the sniff sniff ocd? Some kinda plastic one?

Hope I'm not coming down with a new condition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

Tartan Asia Extreme was a wonderful series - there was a lot of generic J-Horror crapola, but they really got a lot of people into Asian cinema. Audition, The Vengeance Trilogy, Ringu (the most obvious one) etc... The absolutely bonkers Save The Green Planet was another highlight from the series.

These guys are the best distributors of quirky Asian cinema in the absence of Tartan. Love Exposure is a four hour long head**** of upskirt photography and religious satire. Confessions is Japan's superb attempt at a revenge film (demented, of course). And Cold Fish is the most endearingly hyperviolent film of 2011, easy. And there's so much more, but I think it would seriously be dragging this thread even more off topic than it usually is :P

Love Expose is a classic. I love the theme tune as well - its unforgetable. It was on Film 4 recently enough, if its on again you guys on here should check it out - probably best recorded though!

Hong Kong flick Full Time Killer is one of my all time favourites too, up there with Battle Royale, the masterpiece I take my online name from, and the aforementioned A Bittersweet Life.

When Asian cinema is good, stuff in the West just can't touch it.

• Advertisement

Well looks like I have a lot of films I need to watch, I have Love Exposure, just need to get around to watching it.

Only ones I've watched recently are the ones everyone has seen like Oldboy, The host and H

Watched the happiness of the katakuris aswell a while back, love it! Brother is another good one that comes to mind

Brother is another good one that comes to mind

Have still to get around to that - I'm a big Takeshi Kitano fan (just rewatched his superb Hana-Bi last night) but haven't get around to that yet. His latest film Outrage is brilliant - bitchin' yakuza action. Amazon says its out on DVD in November - shame it has been lingering around release hell for so long.

Definitely watch LE though, there really isn't anything like it. Have the DVD to rewatch having seen it in the cinema a few years ago, trying to find four hours to watch it though is a pain :pac: The guy who directed it - Shion Sono - seems to be crazy productive these days. His film Cold Fish was out at the start of the year, he has another out at the end of the month and his latest film has just premiered at Venice. Weird thing about the latter is that it semi-accidentally seems to have become the first major feature to reflect on the Japanese Earthquake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Oh dear... just got a good laugh out of looking at the 3rd person animations from Dead Island:

Not a huge fan of Korean cinema.
    Enjoy the occasional bout of Amelie or City of Lost Children though.
    I find myself drawn to more and more 50s/60s/70s science fiction books rather than movies tbh, everyone should try to read Black Eastenders and Fair Cityies In Flight, brilliant, I'm sure the pdf's can be found, out there somewhere, Black Easter is a hard one to find, I should know, I have owned 2 copies and both got half-inched!

Lets just nip that in the bud now
    DinoRex wrote: »
    Oh dear... just got a good laugh out of looking at the 3rd person animations from Dead Island:

Ouch, dreadful stuff! Is the character a Mambo dancer with a neckbrace?

Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Ouch, dreadful stuff! Wow, beautiful stuff! Is the character a Mambo dancer with a neckbrace? I want to know as I'm a big girl and like to identify styles of dance in modern media

Fyp :p

Hahahaha do you know something we don't? He skirted (:o) around the idea of himself in a dress the other day too. :P

That dead island video is hilariously bad.

I had a feeling Dead Island wouldn't live up to the hype...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

That Dead Island 3rd person animation is what I would imagine Popeye to move like.

Now now, that wasn't a slip up by me...its an all out assault by you! Rules of engagement and all that jazz :D
    Andrew76 wrote: »
    Hahahaha do you know something we don't? He skirted (:o) around the idea of himself in a dress the other day too. :P

That dead island video is hilariously bad.

Actually that was your idea if I remember correctly, hidden insight into your darkest fantasies? :pac:

• Advertisement

I wonder if something was genetically wrong with the Mo-cap performer?
    Ah yes, Eastenders and Fair City, when civilisation finally recovers after the next fall they will look back on those two and, together with Jeremy Kyle and Celebrity BB say, that is where it all started to go horribly wrong.

Good SF novels though, they live forever.
    Raft by Stephen Baxter for example, before he wrote sh1te with mammoths in.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Actually that was your idea if I remember correctly, hidden insight into your darkest fantasies? :pac:

Nightmares man, nightmares. I shall bow out of this particular joking as it can't end happy for anyone. :pac:

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Nightmares man, nightmares. I shall bow out of this particular joking as it can't end happy for anyone. :pac:

And there you have it ladies & gents, admission of dreams :D Ok ok I'm gone now :pac:

DinoRex wrote: »
    Oh dear... just got a good laugh out of looking at the 3rd person animations from Dead Island

Apparently, your a conspiracy these days.

So, Ninty fans.
    Your prayers have been answered!
    No, not proper 3rd party software support.
    No, not new games with new IPs.
    No, not a proper 3D video recording facility.
    No, not a video rental scheme.
    3ds_attachment_scan.jpg
    No, it's your very own extra Circle Pad!!!!
    On a large piece of plastic that ruins the asthetics of the device!
    And means that a redesign is imminent and will reduce the value of your 3DS by even more!
    Expect some announcement at this
    http://www.next-gen.biz/news/nintendo-confirms-3ds-trade-show
    How pleased are we with Ninty now!
    Woo-hoo!!!

http://www.qj.net/nintendo-3ds/news/3ds-second-analog-stick-is-real.html

• Advertisement

I'll put it politely. The horse is dying, stop flogging it. Shoot it in the head and let it have a reasonably peaceful death. The 3DS is dead. :pac:

So, Ninty fans.
    Your prayers have been answered!
    No, not proper 3rd party software support.
    No, not new games with new IPs.
    No, not a proper 3D video recording facility.
    No, not a video rental scheme.
    3ds_attachment_scan.jpg
    No, it's your very own extra Circle Pad!!!!
    On a large piece of plastic that ruins the asthetics of the device!
    And means that a redesign is imminent and will reduce the value of your 3DS by even more!
    Expect some announcement at this
    http://www.next-gen.biz/news/nintendo-confirms-3ds-trade-show
    How pleased are we with Ninty now!
    Woo-hoo!!!

http://www.qj.net/nintendo-3ds/news/3ds-second-analog-stick-is-real.html

That last link wouldn't load for me but looking at a picture of it here, http://www.destructoid.com/2nd-analog-nub-and-monster-hunter-tri-3g-coming-to-3ds-210760.phtml, it's a bit crap to say the least. Wonder does that really mean they'll redesign the machine next year. How the mighty have fallen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

So, so stupid from Nintendo. Am I right in thinking that sales are at or near the DS level when it launched with a **** line-up? Am I also right in thinking that decent games then drove the console sales up. Here's a mad idea, focus on getting some games out for Christmas. Idiots.

Master of the Universe

I really hope the majority of the games I want to play won't have any need for that monstrosity.

SWEET - now we can browse the empty shop with our right hands? :cool:

Seriously though, I've been harping on about this for ages (much to Mr. Saturns annoyance...its not like there's even a reasonable lineup though) but wtf are Nintendo smoking?? To use an analogue stick oyu need games Nintendo, you know, those little grey plastic things that are not in abundance for the 3DS.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement