Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Went on a half asleep drunk spending spree last night. Weird.

FYP :P

Aliens Infestation is a great game. I picked it up from ebay for about the same price, it's going for nothing there too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

After hearing pdbhp's drunken ebay nightmare I think I'll stay away while I'm on the sauce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

nuxxx wrote: »
    anyone know the going rate for a snes in the rage? Cheers!

Emmm.......why dont you ask them? I'd say they'd have a better idea of the prices in their shop than we do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Emmm.......why dont you ask them? I'd say they'd have a better idea of the prices in their shop than we do

a.aaa-Not-sure-if-Fry.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Just don't ask them on facebook. They don't like being asked how much things are on facebook .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They might ban you :P

I was just reading about this new discovered glitch in Ocarina of Time that lets you fight Gannon as young Link.

http://www.zeldauniverse.net/zelda-news/crazy-ocarina-of-time-warp-glitch/

DinoRex wrote: »
    I was just reading about this new discovered glitch in Ocarina of Time that lets you fight Gannon as young Link.

http://www.zeldauniverse.net/zelda-news/crazy-ocarina-of-time-warp-glitch/

Brilliant :D

It'll give the timeline freaks something new to moan about

EnterNow wrote: »
    Brilliant :D

It'll give the timeline freaks something new to moan about

I think this might be how the CD-i timeline comes about.

I think this might be how the CD-i timeline comes about.

Nah. The CD-i timeline is about when Link takes a holiday to Florida & gets lost in Universal Studios.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Just bought Fez for xbla, seems great already!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    Aliens Infestation is a great game. I picked it up from ebay for about the same price, it's going for nothing there too.

Was about to buy that game on Amazon when I saw the postage was almost as much as the game so went with ebay instead, a few quid cheaper. Thanks for the heads up.

safetyboy wrote: »
    Just bought Fez for xbla, seems great already!

Think I might wait until it's on steam and on sale. Fish comes across and a complete bellend and I don't feel like giving him much of my money.

Didn't the guy who made Fez say that Japanese games suck...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Yeah, what annoyed me wasn't what he said so much as the way he went about saying it. It seemed rather insulting to the fellow who asked him the question. Quite frustrating coming from a guy whose game looks like Cave Story mixed with Super Paper Mario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

How much would be the standard going rate for a PC Engine?
    I dont know why im looking or why I want one but......yeah

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I decided to give Fez a go despite my issues with Phil Fish. Played for a while last night and while it opens very strongly, there's something about it that feels... lacking. The mechanics seem quite clever, although not clever enough for all his ****-talking.

Admittedly, I was quite sleep deprived at the time, and looking forward to more time with it. There's certainly issues with the game (not least already frustrating backtracking), although the subversive pseudo 8-bit presentation is witty and clever at the times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Went on a half asleep spending spree last night. Weird.

Woke up to find I had bough aliens infestation for the DS. It's going for an absolute steal on amazon.co.uk, something like £8.99. I should let sleep deprived retr0 do my shopping more often.

No don't, you'll awaken the next morn to find you've bought another CDi, some "Super Rare" copies of Rise of the Robots and Legend of the Dragoon!
    Oh, you'll have posted a groveling apology to Rage so they'll un-ban you!

although the subversive pseudo 8-bit presentation is witty and clever at the times.

How original. First time I've seen that in an indie game.

I think the IGF thing stings as well. Fish won it numerous times. It's supposed to fund new and upcoming indie projects yet Fish being in with the IGF crowd meant he was nominated and won funding multiple times. Seems like a bit of a scam to me.

The man just annoys me and it's not helped by his hipster glasses.

That's what I love about Grimrock.

They took an old 16-bit gameplay model and kept the gameplay pretty much exactly the same but made the graphics look amazing instead. That's how you do a modern retro game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

How original. First time I've seen that in an indie game.

It genuinely looks quite good, and there's some really fun bits as the perspectives start distorting. It may not be the most original presentation, but it does more than enough to stand out (not least the very, very colourful palette). I have my issues with the game already, but the presentation isn't one of 'em.

I have my issues with the man, but it's only fair to judge the game on its own rights (like a Woody Allen film, speaking of hipster glasses). So far I don't think it entirely justifies the time he put into it, but it's still quite enjoyable.

Will definitely give it a go but I don't want Fish to get my money but don't agree with piracy so will wait for a sale. If there was a button to pay the rest of the dev team except fish I'd jump on it :)

Was just reminded of this on Twitter.

Ever see the original footage used for the rotoscoping for Prince of Persia?

It's very eerie!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

It's very eerie!

Is that legit??
    Pretty cool if it is :)

Yep, thats the footage jordan mechner did of his brother for PoP.

Yep. That's Mechner's younger brother.

He just discovered the original source code as well:

http://jordanmechner.com/blog/2012/03/prince-of-persia-source-code-found/

Posted it today:

https://github.com/jmechner/Prince-of-Persia-Apple-II

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Yep, thats the footage jordan mechner did of his brother for PoP.

cool

I feel the need to share this because it's just so hilariously insane. Taken from the genuine BBFC justification of why they gave The Secret World of Alex Mack (a children's TV show from the 1990s which some of us who aren't Ciderman might remember) a 15s rating on DVD:

One episode in this TV series contains a scene in which a child character hides inside a tumble drier, The presentation of this behaviour is comic and no negative consequences are shown which would warn young viewers of the potential dangers of hiding in such appliances. While fatal incidents of children trapped in washing machines or fridges are rare, there remains sufficient cause for serious concern. The distributor indicated that they would be happy to accept a higher certificate rather than cutting the episode. The TV series is rather dated and would not have much appeal to a young audience when compared to current children's TV programmes. In addition, as the work was being targeted at an adult 'nostalgia' market, children would not be the 'natural' audience. The BBFC decided - given the work's history, the company's willingness to accept a higher certificate and that the work was not being aimed at children - to pass it '15' without cuts.

Remember kids: hiding in washing machines is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I assume they had to cut out that hardcore girl on girl scene though to get it down to 15s?

I think the episode was called 'Alex wears nothing but a mac'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

It's very eerie!

Full clip:

The Princess was just as hot in real life too.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I assume they had to cut out that hardcore girl on girl scene though to get it down to 15s?

I think the episode was called 'Alex wears nothing but a mac'

Alex Rack

Alex in da Sack.

Almost too easy.

Alex Rack

Alex in da Sack.

Almost too easy.

What type of films are you working on? You seem almost too good at this...

What type of films are you working on? You seem almost too good at this...

He better be working on Sextroid Prime!

Yep. That's Mechner's younger brother.

He just discovered the original source code as well:

Posted it today:

Just stumbled across this!

Jordan Mechner's father was doing a spring clean and sent him a bunch of disks a few weeks ago,

one of them containing the original source code for the Apple II port of Prince of Persia!

The Commodore 64 port done recently by Mr. Sid, was created by reverse engineering a memory dump of the original, just shows how amazing his effort was!

And as for that c64 port of the game,
    some guy made a program that will convert PC game levels to C64 levels, for all the fan made levels made for Prince of Persia on the PC!

It also includes a random level generator:

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/forums/?roomid=7&topicid=88535&firstpost=2

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSAHx_p5gqRRQySuDZUuenO111d4kWSmcw8mVpfm5Jef8V23aX
    > 4d1.jpg

ui_1_80.jpg

Ridiculous!

• Advertisement

Apologies for the triple post, but the source code was just uploaded a few hours ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

anyone getting any posters? Photobox is having a sale until Midnight Thursday

Sera wrote: »
    anyone getting any posters? Photobox is having a sale until Midnight Thursday

I wonder what your first order will be for visitors to your home...

n743233480_1080176_1389.jpg

waveform wrote: »
    I wonder what your first order will be for visitors to your home...
    I don't need a poster of that, I get the real thing every weekend :cool:
    considering getting a Nichijou poster, something like this or a poster of YMCK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Sera wrote: »
    I don't need a poster of that, I get the real thing every weekend :cool:

Do you make him put it on or is it just part of the deal?
    ....actually dont answer that. So then, games!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

funny-animal-captions-dear-god-please-make-it-stop.jpg

Do you make him put it on
    no one has to make him put it on :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

He's like Superman, these are his ordinary clothes, he has to get into disguise to walk around in public....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

If that's a Vectrex in there we owe it to the retro community at large to hunt him down and give him the mother of all wedgies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,748 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

safetyboy wrote: »
    I'd rather have a cab based on the Capcom Mini Cute.

Candy004.jpg

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    He's like Superman, these are his ordinary clothes, he has to get into disguise to walk around in public....
    it's more like

even does the spin :pac:

I bet he has a pair of those Wonder Panties as well..... oh dear, no wonder he was never accepted by the macho male scene in Balbriggan, I think this video says it all....

JJwkA.png

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement