Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well look at the bright side. Monster Hunter on the 3DS is massive for the system and will help sales and get developer support in japan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well look at the bright side. Monster Hunter on the 3DS is massive for the system and will help sales and get developer support in japan.

Hard to see a bright side in it tbh, dev support in Japan just means more goodies for them & we've to buy Jap 3DS's doesn't it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Jaysus that's one ugly add-on.

I'm still a bit bemused that in the many years of R&D they took to design the 3DS they never stood back and realised that what is surely to be a predominantly third-person console would surely have benefited from a second analogue stick.

This whole situation really has become a bit of a cluster****! They're just trying to right a design flaw that shouldn't have existed.

That said, one cannot underestimate how big an effect a Monster Hunter title (port though it may be) could potentially have on sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

i destroyed a gameboy sp today
    noticed 2 small white dots on the screen so decided to clean it.
    opened cover, pulled off plastic protection cover,
    proceeded to clean screen with a bit of water, turned out to be some sort of plastic goo that got completely destroyed. i think its for transporting the light from the little led.
    now i have a gameboy with no light.
    what models of the gameboy sp have a built in back light.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I thinks its ags-101 with the backlight -001 without backlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Eff me thats some abomination from Nintendo. There is no way in hell I'm carrying around a ridiculous looking add on just to get another circle pad:(

I'm finding it hard to keep my Nintendo fanboyism alive with all this dicking about by the big N.

If I wasn't in work I'd have a little cry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

pdbhp wrote: »
    Eff me thats some abomination from Nintendo. There is no way in hell I'm carrying around a ridiculous looking add on just to get another circle pad:(

I'm finding it hard to keep my Nintendo fanboyism alive with all this dicking about by the big N.

I find the stationary room the best place for a cry at work. It's usually very quiet and they have lots of Post-It notes to mop up the tears.

I usually go in for an hour every month after I get my credit card statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Steve SI wrote: »
    I find the stationary room the best place for a cry at work. It's usually very quiet and they have lots of Post-It notes to mop up the tears.

I usually go in for an hour every month after I get my credit card statement.

I would but thats my farting room or flavour country as it's known:P

I would but thats my farting room or flavour country as it's known:P

Our stationary room just smells of sex and sorrow. Mostly of sorrow :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I'm starting to come around to Enternow's way of thinking on the 3DS. I do remain actively optimistic, but this is disturbingly reminiscent of late gen-4 Sega for me, desperately faffing about, struggling to cling onto/regain a market lead, throwing anything and everything at it.

• Advertisement

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I'm starting to come around to Enternow's way of thinking on the 3DS.

:eek:

Edit - for the record Mr. Saturn, I too am optimistic about the 3DS at this point still, that optimism just doesn't outweigh the impatience & dissappointment Nintendo are currently dishing out is all.

Seriously though, has this been an eye opener for anyone regards the Wii U? I'll openly admit is has been for me. I won't be touching it with a barge pole until I see it getting a bit of direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Is the nub first or third party? I am so hoping it's the latter. Bundle with Monster Hunter, seem likely, no?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I started playing Xenoblade and it's reminding me that even the worst nintendo consoles are worth owning due to the amazing exclusives on it. I might wait though. Getting a Wii day one was worth it for Zelda. If like the 3DS there's nothing there to make me get one I'll wait until the first must have is out on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

EnterNow wrote: »
    Seriously though, has this been an eye opener for anyone regards the Wii U? I'll openly admit is has been for me. I won't be touching it with a barge pole until I see it getting a bit of direction.

Wise words. Early adoption seems like a fools game these days.

Early adoption is always a mugs game. It was the same for the DS, PS3, 360, PS2 etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

They're doing a serious amount of advertising for Star Fox.

Star Fox 64 3D is a bit of a stupid title though... the 64 is pretty redundant, isn't it?

DinoRex wrote: »

Star Fox 64 3D is a bit of a stupid title though... the 64 is pretty redundant, isn't it?

Yeah, Star Fox 3D just has a better ring to it.

DinoRex wrote: »

Yeah, Star Fox 3D just has a better ring to it.

To the oldtimers/traditionalists...Starwing 3D :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Should really be called Lylat Wars 3D.

I don't care if its called Poo Wars 4d. It's another game for the 3DS(or "the thing I use to stop my paper documents floating" away as I call it).

We need MORE games, more GOOD games. And I don't mean some game that was on the Game Boy 20 years ago.

I don't care if its called Poo Wars 4d. It's another game for the 3DS(or "the thing I use to stop my paper documents floating" away as I call it).

We need MORE games, more GOOD games. And I don't mean some game that was on the Game Boy 20 years ago.

Well as o1s1n rightly mentioned, Lylat Wars 3D was out on the N64...pushing 15 years ago. Jesus, is that the best they can do? Don't get me wrong I'm glad of it & will be buying it...but for all Nintendo's experience, worth, & investment in the video games industry...they're falling so so short lately its hard to understand.

If you consider the three best received and best selling retail titles for the console - SSFIV, Zelda, Star Fox - are all ports of varying ages, it truly is a unique situation the 3DS owner finds him/her/itself in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

AGREED!

I know loads of people will hate me for sayin this but jesus nintendo, gameboy games are not as great as they once were, but there are 1500 odd gameboy games, release more than 1 great gameboy games on the eshop each week and every second week release a GBA game, there is over 800 GBA games if I am right(?)
    They have no shortage of old games. and €5 is way too much for old games with no physical box or cart, just 12mb, €2 is what they should be.

I'm really starting to lose fate in the Big N (I like all the other systems, x360, ps3, just nintendo is the oldest(company)) the past few months and I wont being going near the WiiU in the first two years until it can prove itself. :(:(:(

Well as o1s1n rightly mentioned, Lylat Wars 3D was out on the N64...pushing 15 years ago. Jesus, is that the best they can do? Don't get me wrong I'm glad of it & will be buying it...but for all Nintendo's experience, worth, & investment in the video games industry...they're falling so so short lately its hard to understand.

I know, it's madness.
    They must have a Sony spy in there or something.

Ninty dude: We have this great new game, its original and it could be a huge success on the 3DS.
    Sony Spy: No no no, what we need is a remake of "Super Jump over things man". We can make the backgrounds look all 3D and stuff.

• Advertisement

Master of the Universe

Maybe they'll come to a compomise where the Wii U is instead used as an add on to the PS3 to extend the console's lifecycle.

Sony and Nintendo working together.

They can call it a 'Snes CD' for ****s and giggles :pac:

o1s1n wrote: »
    Maybe they'll come to a compomise where the Wii U is instead used as an add on to the PS3 to extend the console's lifecycle.

Sony and Nintendo working together.

They can call it a 'Snes CD' for ****s and giggles :pac:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I find the stationary room the best place for a cry at work.

As opposed too every other room than moves around? Sounds like the best/worst place to work ever. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Imagine Wildtrax 3D, Axelay 3D or Vortex 3D. Those would be great on the 3DS.

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    As opposed too every other room than moves around? Sounds like the best/worst place to work ever. :P

Well I do work for an airline :D

...so I emailed some bloke yesterday asking how much he would charge to ship a copy of Radiant Silvergun to Ireland from the USA.

"Shipping to Ireland will be $25". Was the response today.

"Jog on son." Was my response just now.

Where the hell did the USPS dream up such ridiculous postage rates? No wonder their economy resembles a toilet full of loose, watery stools.

Master of the Universe

Sounds about right to have something like that shipped registered. Sure it's less than €18!

You should probably wait until after it comes out on XBL anyway. Just in case your theory is correct ;)

You should probably wait until after it comes out on XBL anyway. Just in case your theory is correct ;)

€18 to ship a CD though is ridiculous. Yer man should be wearing a balaclava.

I was just prodding the waters with my toe anyway, just to see what the story was. Stupid postage rates though mean a lot of the USA is shut off really no?

Master of the Universe

Not at all as the dollar is worth crap all compared to the Euro. So the extra tenner or so you spend on shipping is more than made up in currency conversion rates. Well that's how I found it when I used to buy stuff fom the US.

The main reason I tend not to anymore is I've no interest in American games.

amacachi wrote: »

If you're going to put on your grammar nazi hat then... :p:p

@Pyong: €18 shipped from the States is pretty good as long as it's well packaged no?

The main reason I tend not to anymore is I've no interest in American games.

I thought you said you were pre-ordering this the other day? :pac:

mydreamjobbabysitter.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Andrew76 wrote: »
    If you're going to put on your grammar nazi hat then... :p:p

Jesus, I must've been secretly drinking or something before I typed that. :pac:

Andrew76 wrote: »
    @Pyong: €18 shipped from the States is pretty good as long as it's well packaged no?

For a CD I think it's absolutely ludicrous when shipping from Japan for a single jewel cased disc takes the same length of time and costs around €4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

Do what I do - become a part-time Ninty fanboy!

I basicly ignore Nintendo and everything it does for about 75% of the year. Then for a few months I turn my attention to the firm once again, and buy up all the stuff I've been missing out on. Then once I've played all the games I'll move onto another firm or system.

Right now, having played a lot of Wii over the summer, I'm turning my attention towards my 360 again. I'll probably pick up one or two Nintendo games over the next few months, but I won't be binging on their games for another while I reckon. Just too frustrating waiting for the good stuff to come out.

Its a bit of a joke, isn't it? Asking forty odd notes for a game we all played over a decade ago just isn't on. I will buy it at some point when its reduced in price, but its taking the p!ss and people are going to end up resenting Nintendo with the way they have been carrying on of late. Why couldn't they make some new franchise or at the very least a new Star Fox for the 3DS? They just can't be bothered, thats why - much easier just to recycle the same old games time and time again :( And ask full price for it as if it was a brand new game with all the associated costs of creating a brand new game.

Pyongyang wrote: »
    €18 to ship a CD though is ridiculous. Yer man should be wearing a balaclava.

I was just prodding the waters with my toe anyway, just to see what the story was. Stupid postage rates though mean a lot of the USA is shut off really no?

I never buy from the US - postage always seems more expensive than from Nippon. Also, Japanese games 90% of the time are like new when they show up - unlike games from pretty much anywhere in the world.

• Advertisement

It's one of the reasons I collect solely NTSC-J. Better condition, better cover art, better shipping, better choice but not always a better price sadly.

Talking of cover art, what the hell is this game? It looks like a distant Cho Aniki spin-off. What is it? :confused:

capa1-776993.jpg

It's one of the reasons I collect solely NTSC-J. Better condition, better cover art, better shipping, better choice but not always a better price sadly.

Talking of cover art, what the hell is this game? It looks like a distant Cho Aniki spin-off. What is it? :confused:

capa1-776993.jpg

"Jimmy Carr & Very Friendly Helper Get Fit" game? What's he pointing at? Other than the PS logo. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

After some googling, the title only becomes more hilarious:

Passionate Hot-Blooded Atheletes: The Diary of Coach Nakimushi

After some googling, the title only becomes more hilarious:

Passionate Hot-Blooded Atheletes: The Diary of Coach Nakimushi

That's absolutely brilliant. We have a new Cho Aniki. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Xbox mod Part 2

Undoing the damage

Using a chit old pc its all going very bad

Cannot inject the new dash and really getting narked

I feel like this

Shame about your modding woes, but didn't Homer's bbq end up in an art gallery? There could be hope for you yet! :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Getting the urge to play more games, been spending way too much time watching Burn Notice.
    Portal2 has been neglected and just started playing ZeldaOoT3d again, forgot how annoying the inside of that bloody big fish was\is, big pink levels are never fun, lesson not learned in this nor in Halo 3 oddly enough...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

This may be the greatest arcade game EVER:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

For a CD I think it's absolutely ludicrous when shipping from Japan for a single jewel cased disc takes the same length of time and costs around €4.

I've been getting a good few games shipped from the US lately, shipping has been less than $10 on every one of them. Usually less than $5.

• Advertisement

Perhaps I was trying to buy from the owner of RAGE's brother who 'emigrated' to the USA on a J'er.

RAGE USA: "Ah. Radiant Silvergun, sounds Japanese and obscure. Must be rare. I'll stick this on the Interwebs for a fun price"

ME: "Hi. How much to ship this to Ireland?".

RAGE USA: "Hmm, Ireland. Home of the celtic tiger. Well, I'm a Rangers fan so it's $25 to ship it to you."

ME: "Jog on son. Jog right on."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement