Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You know the way in most zombie games, zombies are basically just cannon fodder with a zombie skin? Terribly boring and repetative?

Well in this, someone has FINALLY gotten the zombie thing right. It would remind you of Night of the Living Dead - done properly. It's more about survival itself than the zombies. You've very little (if any) ammo at all. You need to eat. You need to drink.

The other players are on edge all the time trying to scavange for supplies and food.

You literally have these mexican stand offs every time you meet someone else, frantically typing 'are you friendly!?!' over the comms line. Sometimes blasting them full of holes because you're just so high strung and on edge - only to find out they were friendly and would have helped.

Yeah, been a long time since I've felt like raving about a multiplayer game! This has just blown me away though.

Master of the Universe

DinoRex wrote: »
    Yeah. Been hearing good things.

Where's the best place to buy a copy of Arma 2? You just need the standard copy to apply the mod?

Steam - Combined Operations - it's 25 euro. Definitely worth it for the mod alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

How do the system requirements compare to Battlefield 3?

If they're round the same I'm sorted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

o1s1n wrote: »
    Steam - Combined Operations - it's 25 euro. Definitely worth it for the mod alone.

Purchased and downloading now.

Master of the Universe

waveform wrote: »
    How do the system requirements compare to Battlefield 3?

If they're round the same I'm sorted!

I wouldn't say it's any more than BF 3? Visually it's nowhere near something like Crysis.

I'm running it on a laptop with an i5 and 6GB of ram with an nvidia GeForce GT540 and it runs grand.
    Purchased and downloading now.

Good man!

Controls are a bit fiddly in the beginning if you've never played Arma. I hadn't myself, but after a few hours it starts to make sense.

• Advertisement

Isn't ARMA that game that some ITV news programme thought was actual footage of the IRA on combat maneuvers?

Master of the Universe

That's the one! ITV thought it was real footage of the IRA taking down a Brittish helicopter in the north. Muppets!

^^^^ LOL

Man D-Rex, what an insta-buy that was1

I'm going to hold off til tomorrow I'd say and get a bit of sleep first!

Should probably sort out my PC and get it ready for gaming again!

Are the controls handy enough? Nothing complicated like Arma 2?

We should get a lickle clan going, hopefully there's not millions of keys to press!

hahahahhahahaha!

was just watching it there.

You wonder did they know and just tried to get away with it! :D

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

The controls aren't overly complex - they do make sense.

The thing I found hardest to figure out was how the backpack works.

Every time you come across an item in the field its like its own chest. You know when you move one thing from one chest to another. Like in Fallout. Once you realize that it's not too bad.

Couple of other things to note - everything works through the mouse scrollwheel. Took me ages to figure that out. Want to open a door? Scroll on the wheel and the option will be there. Want to pick up that flare you threw? Scroll wheel again.

There are some interesting things like for example, you dont have energy, but you have blood. The blood starts at 12000. If you get really badly attacked, you'll need to bandage it up or it'll keep bleeding and that blood number goes down. (0 being death obviously)

But if you want more blood to bring it back up to 12000, someone has to give you a transfusion via a blood pack you find. You cant give yourself a blood transfusion.

If you suffer trauma you also may start shaking. In that case you need to take pain killers. You also have morphines and things like that.

Thanks a lot for the low down dude! :D

Will most likely purchase this tomorrow....

Although I am on a 2mbit connection and should probably get downloading it right now! ;)

Master of the Universe

That's one major downside, it's a feckin 15GB download! I just had to leave it download the other night and go to bed.

Yeah... it's an overnighter for me too and I'm on 30mb.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,885 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd give it a go if a) I had a computer that could run it and b) could get over my only semi-rational repulsion of any game that features zombies.

Just pretend they are infected with a fungus and are therefore not zombies.

Or pretend you're a celebrity and they all really want your autograph!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

That's one major downside, it's a feckin 15GB download! I just had to leave it download the other night and go to bed.

A line from Futurama comes to mind:

"Let's show these freaks what a bloated, runaway military budget can do!"
    :D

@ 50% now for both games!

I think I might try and boost my bandwidth to get it faster! ;););)

autotheft4-300x199.jpg

@ 50% now for both games!

I think I might try and boost my bandwidth to get it faster! ;););)

autotheft4-300x199.jpg

Silly waveform. That's a car, not a router.

Ah.... That's what I've been doing wrong with Arma...

I was on 1.59 instead of 1.60

• Advertisement

Ah.... That's what I've been doing wrong with Arma...

I was on 1.59 instead of 1.60

One of the servers mentioned needs a Beta Patch also:

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

I think its the US5 server or something!

SteveSI has his DayZ up and running, and all 4 of us should be up and running by tomorrow!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Talking to a lad in work, turns out he's a bit of a retrogame fan, starting to pick up a few bits including an MD with some games recently, so that's cool.
    So, Mark, if you swing by like I suggested.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Fake irish accent is fake! tbh!

One of the servers mentioned needs a Beta Patch also:

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

I think its the US5 server or something!

SteveSI has his DayZ up and running, and all 4 of us should be up and running by tomorrow!

Have it working now... although my first server didn't have any zombies for some reason.

Master of the Universe

Have it working now... although my first server didn't have any zombies for some reason.

Respawn glitch. Sometimes it happens. The loot wont appear too :(

Best to get off the server and find another. Pain when it took ages to get into one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

This DayZ stuff is pretty cool I have to say. Although playing your first game in the dark is a bit difficult, and also freaky :)

Nearly 3mins of me walking around wondering wtf I'm supposed to do:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

http://www.adverts.ie/playstation/final-fantasy-vi-6-never-played/1645373

Final Fantasy 6, never played. 250 quid.

All I can think of is

ahhh.jpg

This looks kind of cool... currently free on the app store:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/swordigo/id499125840

• Advertisement

This DayZ game/mod is damn addictive. It can be a bit freaky when you're just walking around in the dark and meet your first Zombie :eek:

My first zombie freak out as I try to get to grasps with the controls(zombies at about 3:40)
    Looks better in HD on youtube as its very dark.

I died soon after from blood loss :(

Augmerson wrote: »

Pity it wasn't Final Fantasy 7.
    I'd definitely pay €250 to have never played Final Fantasy 7. :(

203004.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Steve SI wrote: »
    This DayZ game/mod is damn addictive. It can be a bit freaky when you're just walking around in the dark and meet your first Zombie :eek:

My first zombie freak out as I try to get to grasps with the controls(zombies at about 3:40)
    Looks better in HD on youtube as its very dark.

I died soon after from blood loss :(

I couldnt play that, I would soil myself definitely!

DayZ has an update out this morning. Seems like it adds a stupid amount of zombies.

Master of the Universe

I read that the Zombies don't go into buildings now and you can sneak around them a bit better.

But there are more of them? Balls! :( was hard enough already!

Might force people to co-operate more now. Because you certainly won't be getting into a town on your own easily anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I read that the Zombies don't go into buildings now

Ah :( Surely it'd be better if they did?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Why would anyone put themselves through this!
    Complete Superman64 on cart without cheats

We totally could have done it on Friday night. But not everyone was committed to the cause.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

EnterNow wrote: »
    Ah :( Surely it'd be better if they did?

Aye. So with this mod you have to eat and drink etc to keep your health up? That mean you have to look after calls of nature too? Can't imagine anything more scary than having to pitch a loaf in game when a Zombie creeps up on ya. :pac:

Master of the Universe

Seriously lads, it's a big improvement!

Imagine this, you're slowly creeping towards a city. All that's lighting up the night is the flicker of a red flare in the distance, bouncing off the buildings. Your immediate surroundings are pitch black.

You spark your own flare to see the path ahead, when suddenly the light shows a zombie standing right in front of you.

He sees you, lets out a blood curdling scream and runs towards you, wanting to eat your brain.

You flip out, accidentally throw a flare at him (you forgot to reselect your pistol after taking the flares out) - now he's munching of your face.

You manage to toggle your pistol and while running in the direction of the city (hoping to god there's someone by that red flare to help you). You run backwards so you can aim at him, discharging a crap load of shots like a mad man.

Only a few connect home (there's no crosshair in this) and the shots alerted a crap load of other zombies.

You're about 50 feet from a building. BAM! BAM! You're down to 10 bullets.

Building is 50 feet away. BAM BAM BAM! There goes your next five bullets - but you got a bit luckier with these shots as you've composed yourself a little more after the initial shock.

Finally with some more good shooting, you take all the zombies out. But you're totally out of ammo.

You creep into the building, arms shaking, blood oozing. You apply some bandages and take some painkillers. Finally. Sanctuary. Sit down and have a rest.

With that, a zombie appears out of a room in the building and kills you.

Moral of the story - everyone needs to be able to take at least a tiny break after a firefight!

They've up the zombies by loads, so getting into buildings will be even harder. But if they have them as sanctuaries that'll be great (how could would it be if you could barricade doors???)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Aye. So with this mod you have to eat and drink etc to keep your health up? That mean you have to look after calls of nature too? Can't imagine anything more scary than having to pitch a loaf in game when a Zombie creeps up on ya. :pac:

No you eat and drink because if you don't you'll eventually start getting shaky and in the end will pass out. It has nothing to do with health.

Health wise - you start off with 12000 blood. If you get mauled, you start bleeding. Need to bandage it up or your blood will slowly decrease if you die.

Only way of getting more blood - a blood transfusion. But you need someone else to give it to you :pac:

- edit - as for bodily functions, man...they have to do that! :D

Moral of the story - everyone needs to be able to take at least a tiny break after a firefight!

They've up the zombies by loads, so getting into buildings will be even harder. But if they have them as sanctuaries that'll be great (how could would it be if you could barricade doors???)

This is true enough, nicely explained too :D

I guess you'll be filled with foreboding that you'll eventually have to leave said building for sustenance due to the game mechanics. Sounds amazing

Master of the Universe

I swear to god, standing in a building while more and more zombies begin to congregate outside is absolutely terrifying! Indeed - knowing your nourishment levels are going down is eery, you really cant stay there for a long time.

I was up on a roof in one game with a few guys and we could just hear one screaming. Couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Very very scary.

Eventually one of the guys cast a torch down onto a building across the road and there was a zombie looking out across from a stairwell screaming at us.

I took out a sniper rifle I'd found earlier with only a couple of bullets left - BOOM!

No more screaming sound.

It reminded me of stories from the WW1 trenches when you'd have some poor chap stuck screaming in no mans land, freaking everyone in the trenches out.

How the hell are you playing that on a laptop o1s1n, or have you got a usb mouse plugged in?

Master of the Universe

USB mouse alright. They gave out these really nice little wireless one in work a few weeks ago.

YOINK! :D

I'm running it on my laptop as well... but it's not the best.

I have a new graphics card to stick my tower, will hopefully do that this evening and it get everything up and running on that.

I'm running it on my laptop as well... but it's not the best.

I have a new graphics card to stick my tower, will hopefully do that this evening and it get everything up and running on that.

It was more the laptops mousepad I was thinking, fps games are nigh impossible on them to play properly.

Graphics wise I think o1s1ns is fairly powerful.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I swear to god, standing in a building while more and more zombies begin to congregate outside is absolutely terrifying! Indeed - knowing your nourishment levels are going down is eery, you really cant stay there for a long time.

I was up on a roof in one game with a few guys and we could just hear one screaming. Couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Very very scary.

Eventually one of the guys cast a torch down onto a building across the road and there was a zombie looking out across from a stairwell screaming at us.

I took out a sniper rifle I'd found earlier with only a couple of bullets left - BOOM!

No more screaming sound.

It reminded me of stories from the WW1 trenches when you'd have some poor chap stuck screaming in no mans land, freaking everyone in the trenches out.

Sounds pretty cool actually. Worth the 20 odd quid and monster download? Do you have to chat to people to get the most out of it?

Right, home on a half day. Might fire up DayZ and see how it is in daylight.
    It's a real pain changing the underwear every 10mins when playing it at 3am like last night :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I genuinely wouldnt be able to play that game out of fear :o

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement