Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I am in a quandary, do I buy Starfox 3d or Deus Ex? Decisions, decisions...

On the choice of the 2 id be erring for Starfox

But the choice is close

Very close:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Starfox 3D!

Got my 3DS in my pocket ready to stop into HMV on the way home and play it on the remainder of the commute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

EnterNow wrote: »

OH. MY. GOD.

I'd consider myself to be one of that movie trilogy's greatest ever fans. My three favourite movies of all time that are so utterly amazing they don't even feature on my top 10 list. Nay they are locked away in a fire-proof, bomb-proof vault on a velvet cushion and take regular baths in goats milk and wash their hands and faces in Evian.

Simply put. If these runners are legit. I'm first in line.

edit: Seems they are legit but only for sale on eBay (one pair is already going for $85,000). One thing that irks me slightly is that the two promo's do not show the power laces mechanism. Even still, great to see the money going to Michael J. Fox's charity just a shame use average Joe's will never get to own a pair.

Cue some stupid MTV awards show or similar and likely candidates for sporting a pair being Kanye West or other dicksqueezers of his ilk showing them off. *sigh*

Pyongyang wrote: »
    OH. MY. GOD.

I'd consider myself to be one of that movie trilogy's greatest ever fans. My three favourite movies of all time that are so utterly amazing they don't even feature on my top 10 list. Nay they are locked away in a fire-proof, bomb-proof vault on a velvet cushion and take regular baths in goats milk and wash their hands and faces in Evian.

Simply put. If these runners are legit. I'm first in line.

All thats missing now is hover boards...

From the eBay auction FAQ:

Q: DO THE 2011 NIKE MAG SHOES POWER-LACE?
    A: No. For the power-lace feature you will have to wait until 2015.

What's the point?* :confused:

*besides contributing to a very worthy cause.

Master of the Universe

Where we're going, we don't need laces!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Thinking about the mechanism, it'll have to be pneumatic rather than electromechanical, a motor won't be reliable, not water proof or flexible. A pneumatic system, a variant of the old Reebok Pump system would do the trick. Won't be the same though.
    And put me down or a hover board as well, I'll have Griffs board, you lot can share Martys pink one!
    Oh, a flying Delorean too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's all part of the ongoing McDonalds conspiracy to make us all obese and lazy.

"Who needs to waste their energy and get up to turn on your games consoles? Shmucks!" Check

"Hell, who even needs to insert a disc? Here, download 'em instead!" Check

"Bending over to tie your shoes? Pfft! Where do you think we are? Prison?" Check

*furiously wraps house and head in tinfoil*

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

It's all part of the ongoing McDonalds conspiracy to make us all obese and lazy.

"Who needs to waste their energy and get up to turn on your games consoles? Shmucks!" Check

"Hell, who even needs to insert a disc? Here, download 'em instead!" Check

"Bending over to tie your shoes? Pfft! Where do you think we are? Prison?" Check

*furiously wraps house and head in tinfoil*

Now if only we could come up with a device which would wrap your head in tin foil we'd be set.

2009-12-28-Cleatus%20Cocky%20Cactus.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

LSuFl.jpg

tumblr_le2otoFwj21qecs2no1_500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I've finally figured out who buys those 25 cent copies of old EA Sports/yearly update games, hoarders and the kids chuffed with getting a game for so little. I seen five of the little bastards jumping around with glee in CEX yesterday.

On another note, a 3DO popped up on Adverts. Interesting times. Imagine being that kid on the playground who enters the N64/PSone/Saturn debate
    with the shaky argument of '3DO nyeh!'.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I've finally figured out who buys those 25 cent copies of old EA Sports/yearly update games, hoarders and the kids chuffed with getting a game for so little. I seen five of the little bastards jumping around with glee in CEX yesterday.

On another note, a 3DO popped up on Adverts. Interesting times. Imagine being that kid on the playground who enters the N64/PSone/Saturn debate
    with the shaky argument of '3DO nyeh!'.
    I've been known to buy ps2 sports titles , but really only for replacement boxes
    (For the same reason I've snapped up a few NHL/maddens/fifa meg games for 1 or 2 euro in RAGE whenever I saw them , as its handy for my unboxed EA games)
    I'd be up for the 3do but I'm skint (hey its my birthday on Sunday , anyone fancy buying it for me ? ;) ...I kid, I kid!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I've been known to buy ps2 sports titles , but really only for replacement boxes
    (For the same reason I've snapped up a few NHL/maddens/fifa meg games for 1 or 2 euro in RAGE whenever I saw them , as its handy for my unboxed EA games)
    I'd be up for the 3do but I'm skint (hey its my birthday on Sunday , anyone fancy buying it for me ? ;) ...I kid, I kid!)

Eh, I forgot about the CIB obsessives. What do you do with the games once you've pilfered them of their box? Is there anything more lowly than a boxless EA pan-port?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sorry, no slagging the 3DO, the console is pure gold.
    End Of!!

The CDi on the other hand is excrement, pity the kid who woke up to that on Christmas morning....
    "I wonder what this is, I've been dropping hints about that new games console for ages now!!"
    "Hmm, it's a heavy, big, box, could it be, could it be some sort of Megadrive treasure trove???"
    "Ah sh1te, it's a Philips CDi, with Zelda, pants"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I was in Eason's tonight and picked up Gamesmaster presents The Legend of Zelda, a collector's edition magazine. I got the Mario one earlier in the year and it was pretty good.

With this however they could have put a headline on it saying "you know you're going to buy it" and they would pretty much be right... as they are in this case.

Zelda-gamesmaster-magazine-2.jpg

Just found two old joysticks a c64 tape deck and a 15 year old copy of Nintendo magazine

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

File this bad boy under rumour.
    Sourceorama
    TGS-2011-Logo.png
    A new set of rumors indicates that three new games for the 3DS will be revealed at TGS. The three rumored games are Fire Emblem, Contra, and Castlevania. We’ve already heard about a possible Fire Emblem for the 3DS once before and Contra was already confirmed to be coming to the 3DS a long time ago, so that gives at least some credibility to these rumors. As always though, a bit of skepticism will serve you well.

Yay, I fixed the number 8 button on my keyboard. I can say f*ck again :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

Eh, I forgot about the CIB obsessives. What do you do with the games once you've pilfered them of their box? Is there anything more lowly than a boxless EA pan-port?
    Ah I wouldnt say obsessive but I'd say rings of power or starflight were much more deserving of a box (with freshly printed and recreated cover) than my 3rd copy of ea double header;) . I've 2 pull out boxes (( tesco sell these cardfile drawer boxes for about 3 quid that are perfect for carts btw) full of the unboxed ones , but lines of boxed sega carts look great on my shelves! (it's probably the reason I don't collect nintendo stuff much ..no boxes!)..

Master of the Universe

Yay, I fixed the number 8 button on my keyboard. I can say f*ck again :cool:

The F8 key on my computer has a little symbol of a man running with speed lines behind him. I still don't know what it means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

o1s1n wrote: »
    The F8 key on my computer has a little symbol of a man running with speed lines behind him. I still don't know what it means.

speed-holes-1.jpg

Master of the Universe

Mega Chin wrote: »

Hah! That's that one explained. I had these visions of my computer sprouting legs and running away at signs of danger.

speed-holes-1.jpg

I tried speed holes in a tank to make my fish swim faster. That didn't end well.

I have just read Retrogamer issue 53(Late i know:D)

Special on Boulder Dash

They state the GB has the best version (my arse)

Boulder Dash 3 chit(You have got to be joking me)

They rate the BD Part 2 Arcade game (Which is a load of balls)

They like Rockford (Which is pants)
    None of this made Rockford the Success it Deserved to be,and its still dismissed by Hardcore BD fans as not being a "True" Boulder Dash.But then,Since when have hardcore fans been anything other then idiots.

Last time i trust anything i read in that Mag :mad::mad:

Sparks43 wrote: »
    They state the GB has the best version (my arse)

It has to be the best version it's on Gameboy so by default it rules!!

Boulder Dash was very derivative of Dig Dug, if we are being honest.
    I mean, the whole digging and rock dropping mechanic...
    Boulder Dash added a somewhat scrolling playfield and diamonds to collect but otherwise there is a lot of similarity.
    Ah well.
    And, I prefer Mr Driller to Boulder Dash as well.....

• Advertisement

Yep a lot of games are similar

And not just to other games

Best example

halo-1907.jpg

turd.png

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭HeartOfTheCity

Consider this my 'hello' post, as I've been ghosting here for a while but never posted.

And now a question, if I may: I've never played, let alone owned a Dreamcast. Is it worth me picking one up?

Consider this my 'hello' post, as I've been ghosting here for a while but never posted.

And now a question, if I may: I've never played, let alone owned a Dreamcast. Is it worth me picking one up?

No it hasn't got Boulder Dash on it so don't waste your money:p

Get one quick great machine :D and Welcome from the shadows

Welcome to the A&R forum, i hope you enjoy yourself and of course detest Streets of rage, a requirement to be accepted here ;)

A Dreamcast is a great purchase, games are getting very hard to find though, but it is an easy machine to make Backups of those essential purchases, just to keep them safe of course...

Get a Megadrive and a Snes asap if you want to really get into retro gaming, so many great games and most very hamdy to pick up.

Yes. Dreamcast rules.
    There's a huge amount of great games on that system and it's jam packed with shmuppy goodness.
    It is also great for running so called "pirated" games.

so to conclude get a DC and a pile of blank CD's an internet connection and you're away

Sparks43 wrote: »
    No it hasn't got Boulder Dash on it so don't waste your money:p

Get one quick great machine :D and Welcome from the shadows

Haha, thanks very much! I've owned a lot of consoles in my time, but when I moved to Ireland I had a clear out (read as : sold them all) which I now regret highly.

Looks like a Dreamcast (along with another N64) is on my shopping list.

Im scared to ask what you sold :eek:

Welcome to the A&R forum, i hope you enjoy yourself and of course detest Streets of rage, a requirement to be accepted here ;)

A Dreamcast is a great purchase, games are getting very hard to find though, but it is an easy machine to make Backups of those essential purchases, just to keep them safe of course...

Get a Megadrive and a Snes asap if you want to really get into retro gaming, so many great games and most very hamdy to pick up.
    pdbhp wrote:
    Yes. Dreamcast rules.
    There's a huge amount of great games on that system and it's jam packed with shmuppy goodness.
    It is also great for running so called "pirated" games.

so to conclude get a DC and a pile of blank CD's an internet connection and you're away

Consider me told. Mega Drive was the console that made me fall in love with gaming so there's so many games I remember playing that I've got a running list. (My family actually won one with a McVities Penguin bar 'gold wrapper' promotion when the console had just launched)

Cheers for the warm welcome all. However, I am rather partial to SoR2. I'll fetch my coat.

Found a new system that has games for it

The Tesla PMD-85

But same as trying to run tapes in mess there is no menu pressing the tab button

Quite annoying as it has Boulder Dash on it

• Advertisement

Im scared to ask what you sold :eek:

Well console wise, it looked something like this : NES, Atari 2600, Mega Drive, Saturn, original Game Boy, GBA, N64, Playstation, PSOne and PS2 (original 'fat' version).

Think that covers it. Yeah, I'm ashamed of myself too. So I'm trying to build my collection up again. The main battle is winning over my girlfriend, she humours me for the most part and lets me away with it, but I've noticed eyebrows being raised with the amount of retro stuff I'm starting to bring home :D

EDIT : Oh, and an issue 2 Speccy.

Well console wise, it looked something like this : NES, Atari 2600, Mega Drive, Saturn, original Game Boy, GBA, N64, Playstation, PSOne and PS2 (original 'fat' version).

Think that covers it. Yeah, I'm ashamed of myself too. So I'm trying to build my collection up again. The main battle is winning over my girlfriend, she humours me for the most part and lets me away with it, but I've noticed eyebrows being raised with the amount of retro stuff I'm starting to bring home :D

EDIT : Oh, and an issue 2 Speccy.

I feel your pain brother, just get a big jacket so you can sneak stuff into the house

pdbhp wrote: »
    I feel your pain brother, just get a big jacket so you can sneak stuff into the house

However, if I bring home Zelda related goodies, all is well in my household.

A Gba and a Gamecube will have most of the Zelda you need, OoT, MM, LA, LttP and the gba remasters of the Nes games.
    The Zelda promotional disk on the Gamecube is hard to find but gold dust to the Zelda fan and the Gba hosts a grand version of the Snes' Link to the Past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

The main battle is winning over my girlfriend, she humours me for the most part and lets me away with it, but I've noticed eyebrows being raised with the amount of retro stuff I'm starting to bring home
    4d7c4c9b4651f8ddc52d298ab955119520110725-22047-1tjjwt.jpg?1311574005

A Gba and a Gamecube will have most of the Zelda you need, OoT, MM, LA, LttP and the gba remasters of the Nes games.
    The Zelda promotional disk on the Gamecube is hard to find but gold dust to the Zelda fan and the Gba hosts a grand version of the Snes' Link to the Past.

I have a cunning plan, seeing as I bought her a Wii in the past.

November 18 : Skyward Sword is released. Buy said game. Take said game home for girlfriend. Said girlfriend will ignore fact I also bought a Dreamcast, N64 and Mega Drive. Hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't even attempt to post here ever again until you own one.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Don't even attempt to post here ever again until you own one.
    Yeah.Its like being a regular for ages without having a NES

>_>

Yeah.Its like being a regular for ages without having a NES

>_>

INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Nes' are too common. It's now cool to not have one :D

Neo Geo pocket is where it's at.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement