Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yeah, rarely has there been a film where the Internet seems to have taken itself upon to spoil everything for everyone. I don't know how I've managed to avoid it all while trying to mod the film board (my co-mod did a big clean up one day I was thankfully AFK)! But tickets booked tonight, although early feedback seems mixed.

I've been following the thread in the film forum alright, some seem very let down while others seem to have enjoyed it...albeit to nowhere near the hype levels. I knew it'd be like that, very few films these days live up to established classics...
    As for LA Noire? That game seriously shows up its limits at later points, where some of the interrogations involve increasingly absurd and flawed logic, but demands you play along. Some serious storytelling shortcomings mar what is otherwise an enjoyable game with a fantastic atmosphere.

I can see why that'd let the game down alright, I'll see what I make of it at the time. Your right re the atmosphere in it though, brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

o1s1n wrote: »
    Can we hold off on absolutely all Prometheus talk..until I at least see it? :D
    Steve SI wrote: »
    Yeah, no spoilers please.

I think seeing the movie Alien is the biggest way to spoil this movie.

I didn't like Prometheus. But I would say that it's definitely worth seeing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

EnterNow wrote:
    I can see why that'd let the game down alright, I'll see what I make of it at the time. Your right re the atmosphere in it though, brilliant!

The problem - avoiding spoilers! - is that the game slowly reveals a more overarching storyline from early on, but for some bizarre reason remains rigidly defined by its almost episodic structure, demanding everything be wrapped up to some degree before moving on to the next mission, even when it makes no sense whatsoever. I guess it's the limits with games like that (Phoenix Wright is the same, really) but it just does an awful job at hiding it.

It's one of those games I really wanted to love because, after all, it's a very different experience to most mainstream games these days (pointless sub-missions aside). It's great seeing graphical advances used to enhance the actual gameplay rather than mere eye candy. And it at least makes an effort to tell its story in a player-instigated way. But in a funny sort of way that to me was its undoing - an experiment that wasn't quite there yet, if you will.

Still a better love story than Twilight:

6MhNd.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Twilight is a misunderstood comedy classic. Except for New Moon Part 1. That film approached being competent and for that reason it was mind numbingly boring rather than out and out hilariously bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Twilight is a misunderstood comedy classic. Except for New Moon Part 1. That film approached being competent and for that reason it was mind numbingly boring rather than out and out hilariously bad.

35ka14.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I meant that it was competently made, the other twilight films felt like a pilot to a teen TV show in how low the production budgets were. Everything else about the film was terrible but it just wasn't terrible enough to be funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I meant that it was competently made, the other twilight films felt like a pilot to a teen TV show in how low the production budgets were. Everything else about the film was terrible but it just wasn't terrible enough to be funny.

No no, you've said it now, it's out in the open. Retr0 loves Twilight.

Someone make a Retr0meme before this is forgotten! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I went to see Twilight with a friend of mine, as neither of us had any idea what it was apart from it involving vampires and we were bored at the time. Started getting worried when we were the only guys in the audience, but it wasn't until Pattinson first appeared on screen and a girl behind us screamed "f*ck me!!" that we realised the enormity of our mistake...

In the right state of mind with the right friends and the right amount of alcohol/drugs, the Twilight films are great. You can Quote me on that, although I'm guessing Enternow is already in the process of misquoting me on it for a meme :)
    ghostchant wrote: »
    I went to see Twilight with a friend of mine, as neither of us had any idea what it was apart from it involving vampires and we were bored at the time. Started getting worried when we were the only guys in the audience, but it wasn't until Pattinson first appeared on screen and a girl behind us screamed "f*ck me!!" that we realised the enormity of our mistake...

You sure it wasn't your friend that screamed it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

From the very little I've seen of the Twilight films and books (bits and pieces of the first movie mostly), they're just woefully incompetent. Not comically bad, just ridiculous. And disturbing in their popularity.

That said, the stuff about vampire abortions and werewolves falling in love with small children in the last book is jaw-droppingly awful and inappropriate. Some great articles online ripping the piss out of it.

Master of the Universe

I made a similar mistake. Met the girlfriend in town one day and she asked me did I want to go and see a 'Vampire film'. I thought 'sure why not, a bit of on screen blood letting and gore goes down a treat' - All the while she knew the film was some teenage girl crap but didn't tell me for the craic.

Took me a while to forgive that one :mad:

I tried getting her back with Suckerpunch. Unfortunately that one backfired and my brain has never been the same since.

A double bill of Thirst and Let the Right One In will sort your right out.

From the very little I've seen of the Twilight films and books (bits and pieces of the first movie mostly), they're just woefully incompetent. Not comically bad, just ridiculous. And disturbing in their popularity.

That said, the stuff about vampire abortions and werewolves falling in love with small children in the last book is jaw-droppingly awful and inappropriate. Some great articles online ripping the piss out of it.

To me this is the worst part about the whole thing.

Master of the Universe

People will literally listen to, watch, wear and eat **** if it's popular and others are doing it.

I find it very bizarre and hard to understand.

People will literally listen to, watch, wear and eat **** if it's popular and others are doing it.

It's ok o1s1n, you can join me in the comfort of knowing we are at least smarter than everyone who likes the Twilight movies. It's a small comfort but it helps a little ;)

Just a thought:

Have you ever considered the unassuming viewer who clicks into this forum?

:pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

EnterNow wrote: »
    I've been following the thread in the film forum alright, some seem very let down while others seem to have enjoyed it...albeit to nowhere near the hype levels. I knew it'd be like that, very few films these days live up to established classics...

Not going near any threads to do with that film. Going to see it tow and it will be brilliant. :)

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Not going near any threads to do with that film. Going to see it tow and it will be brilliant. :)

The general consensus seems to be that you should temper that excitement somewhat. As far as I can gather, the unreasonable expectations are what are disappointing in an otherwise visually impressive if narratively unambitious film.

Still, I look forward to discovering for myself in a few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I tried getting her back with Suckerpunch. Unfortunately that one backfired and my brain has never been the same since.

I think I would rather wacth all of the twilight movies in one sitting than to ever look at suckerpunch again.

The general consensus seems to be that you should temper that excitement somewhat. As far as I can gather, the unreasonable expectations are what are disappointing in an otherwise visually impressive if narratively unambitious film.

Still, I look forward to discovering for myself in a few hours.

I have much lower expectations than the experts over on the Film forum though. Spaceships, explosions and aliens of some sort usually keep me happy (except MIB sh1te). I liked all four of the previous Alien films so I'm probably sorted. Just hoping this Odeon (sp?) cinema is ok, never heard of the place.

I have much lower expectations than the experts over on the Film forum though. Spaceships, explosions and aliens of some sort usually keep me happy (except MIB sh1te). I liked all four of the previous Alien films so I'm probably sorted. Just hoping this Odeon (sp?) cinema is ok, never heard of the place.

Sorry to have to correct you but this is the 4th film in the series. We have Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 and now the prequel (sort of) Prometheus. There have been no other Alien movies, I have researched this and know it to be true ;)

Sorry to have to correct you but this is the 4th film in the series. We have Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 and now the prequel (sort of) Prometheus. There have been no other Alien movies, I have researched this and know it to be true ;)

So you can see how my lowly expectations will most likely be met with Prometheus then. Probably a good thing I didn't include the first AvP film in there as a 5th Alien film I liked. :D

So you can see how my lowly expectations will most likely be met with Prometheus then. Probably a good thing I didn't include the first AvP film in there as a 5th Alien film I liked. :D

It's been a while since I used it, but now is the time :)

1156151_o.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I love that meme! It's such a bonus that it p1sses off someone here, can't remember who :p

• Advertisement

I love that meme! It's such a bonus that it p1sses off someone here, can't remember who :p

Haha yeah.
    In fairness I'm not a big fan of animated gifs in forums, but sometimes they just work so well you have to use them.

Aye it's brilliant.

Steve, you might need to get ready with it again; Fargo is a sh1te film! Yep, I weren't there. I can just picture Mr. Ultimate now:

misc-jackie-chan.svg

Master of the Universe

Haha yeah.
    In fairness I'm not a big fan of animated gifs in forums, but sometimes they just work so well you have to use them.

Here's one I love using whenever some tit uses my most hated emoticon, rolleyes my bastard face.

MdL3j.gif

Steve, you might need to get ready with it again; Fargo is a sh1te film! Yep, I weren't there. I can just picture Mr. Ultimate now:

An innaccurate visualisation. To continue the meme war, my expression is more:

facepalm.jpg

:p

(that said, it did take me a second viewing to really appreciate Fargo and its place within the Coen canon)

An innaccurate visualisation. To continue the meme war, my expression is more:

facepalm.jpg

:p

(that said, it did take my a second viewing to really appreciate Fargo and its place within the Coen canon)

Ah here, now you're at it!! Isn't that right o1s1n... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Aye it's brilliant.

misc-jackie-chan.svg

fargo09.jpg

In all seriousness I'm no movie expert or connoisseur and can turn off my brain when I need to and just enjoy most films. Except Twilight, never twilight.

Aye it's brilliant.

Also, why weren't you there? :D

Copies of Typing of the Dead for all!

Finally somebody noticed that deliberate typo! ;) (always making them :o)

Copies of Typing of the Dead for all!

Haha, we'll all be running our forum posts through the spell/grammar checker before posting if this keep up.

/checks previous sentence for mistakes, fails to spot any

edit:
    /Checks again and finds one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

From the very little I've seen of the Twilight films ... Not comically bad, just ridiculous.
    It's one of the funniest films I've ever seen, don't be such a snob! :P

One of the most disappointing films I ever saw was Leprachaun In Space. I mean it shoudl have been amazing with a premise like that but it was so boring. I think I was way too sober when I bought it.

I managed to track down a copy of this gem on DVD recently:

Looks like Ireland's answer to The Room.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Picked up a PSP Go this morning, no charger though.
    Any ideas if a bricks and mortar shop has the cables?
    Looked in GS, Smyths, Harvey Norman, PC World/Currys and HMV but to no avail.
    Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Ok, I leave and go to work and ye all start talking about twilight. Thought we had mods here for a reason. But heres my 2 cents anyway.

Twilight 1 is the only film I saw and although I liked the score to the film the rest is pure comedy gold. The film is as deep as a frisbee and that young wan in it, i forget her name, is utter rubbish in it. Funny thing is that I thought that was her character but I saw snow white the other day and she cannot act in any way shape or form. The rest is just hilarity all over the shop. Have to give it props though, it managed to tear down vampires to a parody of themselves....sparkly pricks....we need another lost boys!

And how didnt they do this joke

carlisle.jpg

Dr. Acula???!!!.............COME ON!

Going to see Promethus tonight though so that will cleanse my soul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Picked up a PSP Go this morning, no charger though.
    Any ideas if a bricks and mortar shop has the cables?
    Looked in GS, Smyths, Harvey Norman, PC World/Currys and HMV but to no avail.
    Any ideas?

Online would be your best bet I'd say. Unfortunately it's a proprietary connection and you'll need the little power brick if you want to charge it from the wall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Found one on fleabay for 8.99 posted, USB cable with proprietary thingy, power brick and so on.
    Then I'll find out if I bought a €55 bricked PSP Go, or I have my new goto device for emulation, only for use when I'm away from my physical copies of the games, to be played on proper hardware, natch!

Nice little short doc on SNK.
    Nothing ground breaking in it but definitely worth a gander.

Playing some God of War 3 and learning a lot about Greek Mythology. For example the area I'm in now is new to me and I never knew that first person shooter land existed in greek mythology. Well that's what I'm calling it because it's either that or the art team had an off day and designed a level made out of crates.

There was a lot more dodgy women making out with animals who turn out to be that horny so and so Zeus in the stories, as if just being the ruler of Olympus didn't guarantee getting laid, he figured he'd need to turn up as a bull or something....
    No wonder no one believes in them any more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    No wonder no one believes in them any more!
    the-end-of-all-ice-giants.jpg

Apologies for the Prometheus spoiler but he ends up bound to a rock with his liver being eaten by an eagle only for it to grow back and be eaten again the next day!

Saw Prometheus. A mess but a fascinating one. Easily the most interesting blockbuster to come out of Hollywood from a while, although also a deeply flawed one. Well worth a watch nonetheless though.

Controversial poster quote: "Better than The Avengers!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

Been taking a lot of notice of how much Youtube sucks for keeping up with social interaction with other users lately.

There are absolutely no on screen notifications of new messages, replies, video responses etc....

Instead you're forced manually to click the drop down button next to your name,
    click inbox -> click messages etc...

It's an absolute joke.

Even the "Send message button" on profiles has been done away with it,

and you have to click a drop down arrow for that.

Why the **** do you keep hiding things on me youtube!

Does anyone know of a better way of managing your account?

I've just downloaded the Rockmelt browser now in the hope that it will give me notifications.

I'm not a fan of e-mail notifications either every time someone replies to a comment, either so I have those disabled.

If anyone knows some other kind of application, extension or whatever that improves the experience, i'd love to hear!

The site is really going backwards community wise.

fffuuu.png

• Advertisement

waveform wrote: »
    Been taking a lot of notice of how much Youtube sucks for keeping up with social interaction with other users lately.

There are absolutely no on screen notifications of new messages, replies, video responses etc....

Instead you're forced manually to click the drop down button next to your name,
    click inbox -> click messages etc...

It's an absolute joke.

Even the "Send message button" on profiles has been done away with it,

and you have to click a drop down arrow for that.

Why the **** do you keep hiding things on me youtube!

Does anyone know of a better way of managing your account?

I've just downloaded the Rockmelt browser now in the hope that it will give me notifications.

I'm not a fan of e-mail notifications either every time someone replies to a comment, either so I have those disabled.

If anyone knows some other kind of application, extension or whatever that improves the experience, i'd love to hear!

The site is really going backwards community wise.

fffuuu.png

Have you tried and firefox or chrome addons?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/flibklaafojpejofncfljlnmmfoolnjd

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement