Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Prometheus: Not bad at all.
    Odeon Screen 1: Designed by morons, steer clear.

I went on the second night the cinema was open. On the way out there was a manager and a load of others asking how we liked the whole setup etc.
    I turned to him and said "it seems your screen 1 was designed by morons who think the average height of a human is 3 feet tall and nobody has any peripheral vision whatsoever".

The height thing because the bottom of the screen is covered by heads and the peripheral vision thing is because the emergency exit on the top middle left as you look at the screen appears to have bright blue bulbs powered directly by a nuclear reactor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Playing Superbrothers: Sword and Sorcery EP after picking it up in the Humble Bundle. Great game (a very witty and effective mix between its point n click inspirations and indie game pretension), but the music is amazing:

Nintendo pre-E3 press conference liveblog!
    On tonight at 11pm Irish time I think for those interested.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/03/nintendo-pre-e3-press-conference-liveblog/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Just home from Prometheus. WHAT A MOVIE!

Thoroughly enjoyed it despite its flaws. Dying to get my paws on a directors cut blu ray now. Oh and the 3D was rather spectacular I thought. Worth the extra few bob as it was 3D that was actually well done, especially the silica storm!

Almost tempted to get a 3DTV now!

Just grabbed the latest Humble Bundle.
    Why have I never played this "Limbo" game before? I really like the style of it :)

Limbo is a fun little game. I nabbed that on XBL a while ago. Creepy, fun stuff.

So yeah, I'm on a Prometheus buzz. Link me up to an SACD and stacks of merchandise to waste my money on please. Thank you!

Oh, and a little aside. Has anyone tried the EDGE interactive sampler yet? This is the future and it looks much better than the attempt by Wired at an interactive magazine. Shame about the EDGE editorial though, hopefully other magazines will follow suit. Oh and Future mags are all half price over jubilee weekend. One is amused and content. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

This is kinda cool, but it using *only one controller* definitely raises a red flag for the sake of usability.

Live E3 Nintendo stream here:

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo_direct

• Advertisement

Has to be said, giant controller aside, the WiiU and it's features are absolutely biblical. What a console it's shaping up to be. :eek:

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Has to be said, giant controller aside, the WiiU and it's features are absolutely biblical. What a console it's shaping up to be. :eek:

87582072.gif

No messin' here. I think the WiiU looks great. Game Gear controller and all.

No messin' here. I think the WiiU looks great. Game Gear controller and all.

I'll have to wait until I can see more of it to decide but so far I'm very disappointed in it.

I haven't seen the core specs yet myself, but just going on what was presented tonight it looks very good.

That said, all the current gen consoles are so far behind the PC that anything that gets released now would be seen as a quantum leap.

PC gaming is enjoying a revival? :confused:

edit: Oh, and this is a great video:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

PaGsk.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

Hmm... It doesn't excite me.

My gut reaction to the design of the controller was alarm and fear of a mix of "iPad + VMU/Game Gear's battery life": a worst of both worlds way.

Compared to something like Sony's HMZ-T1 the screen on the controller seems both not ambitious enough and yet needlessly over-spec'ed (considering how long a gamer can expect to look at it compared to a HD monitor/TV - really, if games are designed so you're staring at that longer than the big screen then what the heck guys?).

In my eyes Nintendo aren't building the WiiU to exploit the most exciting emerging tech available to console gamers that don't need to be on the move.

Also there are a few things that bother me from an ergonomics point of view - disabled gamers are going to have a harder time than ever using that controller, and I'd like if the trend for inclusive gaming wasn't based purely on monetary benefits (niche controllers for disabled gamers is like making separated entrances to buildings for people in wheelchairs; its less bad but it will never approach actually good).

Also:
    • Its not a Sega console so its inherently flawed. Obviously!
    • Touchscreens bad, VirtuSpheres good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Personally I'm looking forward both to the console itself and more immediately the line up of games that we'll see for it this week. I've never gotten excited by specs since the 16/32bit era so it won't make a difference to me if it turns out to be severely underpowered compared to the other next-gen offerings; the Wii had some of the best games this generation with the same 'disadvantage'.

Also love that I can play Wii games on it without the need to hog the tv or hide away in another room, means I'll get a chance to sit down with Xenoblade finally.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ghostchant wrote: »
    Also love that I can play Wii games on it without the need to hog the tv or hide away in another room, means I'll get a chance to sit down with Xenoblade finally.

just tell everyone else in the house to go out and play in the sun for the next 100+ hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭megaten

poop. Why the hell didn't I just save up for an american 3DS instead of going for cheapness.

http://www.atlus.com/codeofprincess/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I love how they covered up the dodgy code of princess art with the title :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Well the WiiU eh? looks good so far but all this video chat, TV remote stuff does very little for me. Really need to see some games running on it to get a proper feel.

Pro controller is definitely a step in the right direction especially for generic FPS garbage.

Really hope for some great first party games and some kick ass 3rd party titles.

I would love to the console be multi region, don't wanna be held back by the retailers in Ireland again who will only stock really shít games:(

They'll show Pikmin 3 and then I'll be sold.

WNBaO.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

pdbhp wrote: »
    Pro controller is definitely a step in the right direction especially for generic FPS garbage.

As the classic controller pro proved, so-called 'pro' controllers are actually a tremendous benefit for all manner of titles. Couldn't imagine playing Bayonetta, The Last Story or indeed anything with the need for manual camera control on anything other than a traditional joypad. Not to mention all the virtual console stuff! Good to see they're making this clear from an early stage, and although I'm fascinated to play some games using Gigantor, I'm also delighted that traditional input methods ain't dead yet.

Although I still think Microsoft are probably able to sue for design infringement - almost identical to a 360 pad barring the right analogue placement!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

The Xbox controller borrows so much from other controllers as it is that it'd be a dangerous road for them to go down...sure if Nintendo came up with the d-pad it pretty much has a free pass to borrow whatever it likes on moral grounds :)

I see we now have a decent 3DO emulator after many years. It was one system that just never had any decent time put in by anyone but now FourDO is in active development and runs most games pretty damn good.

http://www.fourdo.com/

I've tried a good few of my discs on it as well as ISO and Bin and Cue files and they all seem to work fine @60fps. You can even select a normal bios and the pick a secondary Kanji bios for those picky jap games. Of course it's not as good as the real thing but it's still nice to have a decent emulator for it. Few advanced options as well for those who like to tweak things and it works fine with joypads(I'm using the 360 pad at the mo). Most 3DO emu's up to this point were a real pain to get joypads working with.
    It still needs some work but the devs are actively working on it and new version are coming out pretty regular.

ghostchant wrote: »
    The Xbox controller borrows so much from other controllers as it is that it'd be a dangerous road for them to go down...sure if Nintendo came up with the d-pad it pretty much has a free pass to borrow whatever it likes on moral grounds :)

I'm slightly hyperbolising the potential litigious potential, but I was genuinely surprised how similar it was. Every controller rips off other controllers, truth be told, but this to me looks ever so slightly more obvious than most.

Still, I hope it adds a bit of weight and better ergonomics than the Classic Controller - that controller to me just feels 'off' for any number of reasons.

(still slightly disappointed they just didn't rebrand the Gamecube controller though :pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Good fun in town yesterday :D

rUCq7.png

• Advertisement

Yoink

Perfect for trolling in the xbox forum:D

Edit:And everywhere else

Makes me ashamed to own an xbox.

(South Park looks great though)

New 3DS coming tomorrow... supposed to be bigger... that's not really the issue... it better have 2 analogue sticks!

Any source on that m8?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's a good way for Nintendo to get around the dual analog issue. This way they can just say they're making an XL version without 100% commiting to having made a mistake with the previous one.

Unless Sony has something magic to pull out of their ass this evening (pretty sure they don't) this is Nintendo's E3 to take.

Master of the Universe

The Last Guardian maybe? If they do I'll be running out and buying a ps3!

They will probably say the 2nd Stick allows 100% compatibility with the wiiu(really wish they would change the name:mad:

Really want to see this guy in the next Smash Bros game now:

ywy0a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭megaten

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's a good way for Nintendo to get around the dual analog issue. This way they can just say they're making an XL version without 100% commiting to having made a mistake with the previous one.

I agree. A 'premium' 3DS with a higher price could help them offset the loss their making on the normal one. It'd stop people who've already bought one from feeling like muppets too if it was another option rather than a redesign.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

WANT
    NEW
    3DS!

Steve SI wrote: »
    I see we now have a decent 3DO emulator after many years.

It's no wonder it took so long though. The 3DO like the Saturn used Quads and the architecture was almost as bananas!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Slight thread derailment , but withdrew the broken VCS I had for sale on adverts as I wanted to have a crack at repairing it (plus there wasnt exactly a rush of decent offers).
    Anyway , took it apart completely , put it back together checking everything was tight , adjusted the (pot?) screw on the RF module and voila , working again.
    Those things are built like feckin' tanks!
    I'll throw it up for trade in the next day or so I guess.

As uninterested as I am in Miiverse, I did like how Nintendo pitched it.

You have Microsoft and it's horrible attempts to be cool by rolling out Usher and then you have Nintendo who knew they couldn't be cool so were deliberately naff and it was brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

..Meh , its a Nintendo console , I havent been excited about a new Nintendo console since...actually I've never been bothered about any Nintendo console's release.
    I know I'm alone here but I just cant get excited..

Master of the Universe

Dr Bob wrote: »
    ..Meh , its a Nintendo console , I havent been excited about a new Nintendo console since...actually I've never been bothered about any Nintendo console's release.

YouMad.jpg?1260647699

Dr Bob wrote: »

It doesn't excite me either. I'm more interested in what hacks and mods I can do with the new controller. Which is not a good sign.

I think if nintendo can get the third party support for WiiU it could be good. Nintendos games on the Wii have been superb and it's a system a lot better than the shovelware label it has suggests. It just took a while to get there and it's been the N64 all over again with only Nintendo really supporting it.

Thought I heard the Mirror's Edge theme at the end of the EA conference there.

But it was just elevator music. Oh well.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement