Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Apparently Batman Forever on the SNES is one of the one, or possibly the only SNES game that runs in the systems high res mode. Only other game I can think of that uses it is Secret of Mana and it only uses it for the menu before you start a game.

I think RPM Racing used it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

o1s1n wrote: »
    Here's a tip. If you're going for one of the more expensive shipping options from Japan, always go EMS.

Never EVER use UPS or Fedex. You will be guaranteed to have to pay tax. And their 'processing charge'.

EMS on the other hand I've never had to pay any import tax at all.

I don't understand that. Surely everything sent from outside the EU to within the EU is subject to VAT and duty and 'handling fee's' regardless? :confused:

And if you get collared with EMS shipping and the invoice is in the package you will be charged VAT/Duty on it subject to the Revenue exceptions. With EMS shipping being so pricey I'd say it's even more of a risk in terms of paying more VAT/Duty if collared.

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I don't understand that. Surely everything sent from outside the EU to within the EU is subject to VAT and duty and 'handling fee's' regardless? :confused:

Probably officially and if the shipping company follows every rule to the letter.
    Which EMS does not, to all our benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

why does nowhere seem to stock Xenoblade for the wii? I even tried ordering it from CDWOW but they had none!

paperwork wrote: »
    why does nowhere seem to stock Xenoblade for the wii? I even tried ordering it from CDWOW but they had none!

They have it on amazon.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

Steve SI wrote: »
    They have it on amazon.co.uk

Oh I'm not gonna bother trying online. See they claimed to have it on CDWOW, I waited a week and then received and e mail saying they didn't have it... pah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

At xmas there will be more tighter watch on what be imported outside eu,citizens info gives it in plain english-
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/duties_and_vat/value_added_tax.html
    If you buy online or by mail order etc.

From outside the EU
    You can buy goods from outside the EU up to a value of €22 without incurring any VAT charges. Goods up to a value of €150 may be imported without payment of Customs Duty. To avoid these packages being stopped by Customs, the value should be clearly marked on the label. However, VAT and import duty is charged on importations of tobacco, tobacco products, alcoholic product and perfumes even if they cost less than €22. The Revenue Commissioners provide a guide to the reliefs available for imports from non-EC countries.
    If your online purchase costs more than €22 you will have to pay VAT. If your online purchase costs more than €150 you will have to pay VAT and Customs Duty. This will be collected by the company that delivers your parcel. The company usually have an administration charge. Methods of delivery and collection differ from company to company, so you should contact them directly for more information.

Marking it as a gift etc does work,but depending on size on box i think it would raise suspicion from officers,online sellers like Amazon etc usually collects vat on behalf of gov,you can get some good bargains from amazon germany which seem to have cheaper shipping rate than uk in some items,just use google translate on another open page if you want to read reviews/see specs.

Probably officially and if the shipping company follows every rule to the letter.

Worth the expense then? :D

I get all my .jp items delivered by SAL and haven't had a single issue until today.

At xmas there will be more tighter watch

Yep, worst time of year to be ordering non-EU parcels.

Oh I'm not gonna bother trying online. See they claimed to have it on CDWOW, I waited a week and then received and e mail saying they didn't have it... pah.

Ok, well they definitely have/had it on amazon as I ordered and received it 2 weeks ago. At the moment they have 3 in stock that are new and more second hand.
    If you want it jump on it, £29.99 with free delivery to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's nothing about following every rule to the letter. UPS and Fedex will actively hand over packages to customs since they can then add on their own 'handling fee' to the cost and get even more money. EMS just aren't complete bellends.

It kind of had all the signs of it being hard to find. It sold out in a matter of days. I was going to leave it until I noticed 2 days after release there were only 4 copies left in any online shop. Amazon.co.uk is your best bet. All the shops are sold out and I don't think gamestop got the game in since they are utter ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

Game on Dawson St had Xenoblade on display - dummy boxes, but perhaps they had actual copies in stock? Worth checking out....
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Welcome to the A&R forum, i hope you enjoy yourself and of course detest Streets of rage, a requirement to be accepted here

A Dreamcast is a great purchase, games are getting very hard to find though, but it is an easy machine to make Backups of those essential purchases, just to keep them safe of course...

Get a Megadrive and a Snes asap if you want to really get into retro gaming, so many great games and most very hamdy to pick up.

Gee... there was me thinking I was the only one to loath Streets of Rage!

Regarding the DC... it can be hard to get games in shops today but online its very easy to gather together a fairly large collection of great games for a very good price. Heck, you can even get sealed games relatively easy, and cheap too. Greats like Virtua Tennis 2, MSR, Virtua Fighter 3tb and Jet Set Radio are all available for a fiver each, brand new and sealed from the UK's various eBay DC sellers.

A legendary console that every gamer should have!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Gee... there was me thinking I was the only one to loath Streets of Rage!

OMG!
    A fellow traveller!
    Another person who can see the truth, the truth that Streets of Rages sucks like nothing has sicked before, except perhaps Goldenaxe....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Both hate streets of rage.
    Both Halo fanboys.

Conincidence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Both hate streets of rage.
    Both Halo fanboys.

Conincidence?

Alt account for Ciderman, to secretly back himself up?

It's the only way two people can have such terrible taste in games. The real test will be if their love of the 3DO is the same. Let me get this one:

Need for Speed on the 3DO sucks. The framerate is terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

EnterNow wrote: »
    Alt account for Ciderman, to secretly back himself up?

I love cider and all :eek:

Maybe we were separated at birth? Or just have good taste in games? :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Maybe we were separated at birth? Or just have good taste in games? :pac:

Nah, retr0 is the only one with good taste in games. Everyone knows that.

:P:P:P

Nah, retr0 is the only one with good taste in games. Everyone knows that.

:P:P:P

:)

Gives me an idea.

What's the biggest stinker in your collection?

Going to have to think about mine!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Barring some aged titles that once, in their defense, were good (PS1 Tomb Raiders and the like) I don't have too many I hate with a passion. Ciderman's donation of an Initial D game for the PS3 seemed like a generous act at the time. I played it and realised I did him a massive favour :P From the moment you start driving down the sub-PS2 tracks you go into a crazy hyper drift that transcends absurdity. Most of the race is spent horizontal to the road. Less fun that it sounds. (although still thanks are due to our ever wise moderator - myself and my friends have got plenty of chuckles out of it :))

Retro wise, the MegaDrive version of Terminator 2 is a compulsively bad addition to my collection, passed on by cousins many years ago along with much better games (Sonic 2, SF2 etc...)

Probably Chromehounds on the XBOX 360. Sorry it's not retro or anything but that game is plopalicious.

I try not to buy rubbish games, but that one was a genuine mistake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's the only way two people can have such terrible taste in games. The real test will be if their love of the 3DO is the same. Let me get this one:

Need for Speed on the 3DO sucks. The framerate is terrible.

Need for Speed on the 3DO is definitive and awesome.
    It is the perfect translation of the genius of Test Drive 2 on the 16bit systems.

Retr0, you may be asked to surrender you A&R passport at anytime you know.
    Lets see how many kudos you get in the Playstation forum with a handle like "Retr0gamer", they'll laugh, laugh and point at the bent-over, wizened old man, with his collection of old games, only here in A&R are you held in any type of esteem! So, watch the NFS comments!
    This is your only warning!

Oh, and it's "Road & Track present The Need For Speed" by the way, just so's you know!

So I bought the first GAA PS2 game and ciderman has kindly lent me the hurling and GAA 2 games but I got those to write a long overdue article for HG101 (stupid thesis getting in the way). I also have Hanabi for the NGP but that came with the system so doesn't really could.

So if it's games I purposefully bought then the two modern ones were The Darkness and Kane and Lynch. The Darkness reviewed well but I thought it was a dreadful FPS game inflated because of the lack of decent games in the early days of the 360. I bought K&L because I loved Freedom Fighters and this was a spiritual successor so how could it be bad? Well it stunk. Bought games are not in my possession and are the only 2 games I ever traded in.

Going back further, I've not really got any stinkers on the DC, PS2, GC and Xbox. On PS1 two stand out. Alien Trilogy and Legend of Dragoon. For the first one hear me out. Was impressed by the game when I first saw it in a friends house when he was one of the lucky few that had rich parents that bought him a PS1. I got my copy, disc only at the end of the PS1 lifecycle from a HMV clearance sale. It wasn't the game I remembered. It had aged really badly and what was left was a wolfenstein clone, and a bad one at that. As for LoD, I don't think much more has to be said about it.

The very worst games I ever bought however were on the C64. Two games I wanted so badly. I had a C64 until christmas 93 and everyone had a Megadrive or SNES. I really wanted Street Fighter 2 and Mercs and when I got them for my C64 my heart was broken. Utter ****e both of them are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Ahhh, can't find the screencap from whoever was playing Pokemon Emerald (I'm guessing Atavan). Having finished White there not so long ago, and having played Red/Blue/Yellow but none of the newer bits, which would be the next best in the series after Black/White? LeafGreen/FireRed or something?

Also, a heartening story from the Irish Times :rolleyes:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2011/0912/1224303943562.html
    LAST FEBRUARY I was sitting comfortably on my girlfriend Sinéad’s couch playing Pokémon. She asked me to put away the game; she had some news. I didn’t want to: I had only recently started, and I was just about to catch a Pikachu. But Néad convinced me to put down the game and listen to her while she told me about what she got up to the day before.

@o1s1n/retr0: Nice tip on EMS!

Gold/Silver are considered the best so maybe the remakes Heart gold and soul silver would be what you want?

Oh, on a forced tidy up of the games room.
    Before the vultures circle there are no games or systems for the chop.
    No, only the stack of Edge mags, something I have tried to find a home for before.
    Now, I just want to say they are free to a good home and if you don't live too far away I will deliver them as well, rather than see them end up in the green bin, which is where they are going this week unless a good home is found.
    So, please, do it for the sake of the lovely magazines! There is over 12 years of Edge mags to be had here, not sure if it is as complete as I recall, but there is a lot!
    Thanks.

Worst games?
    Road Rash on the Gameboy is a pitiful version of the superb series on the MD.
    After the excellent 3DO version and the faithful port of same to the PS and Sat the whole thing went downhill with nothing but pap on the PS and GBA.
    We need some more Road Rash!
    You can bring back Syndicate, why not RR? I need to beat PE No1 with a crowbar from the seat of a rat bike! Road Rash is the only game that lets me, all the while speeding along a sunny, scenic Californian highway, hmm, good times....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

No, only the stack of Edge mags, something I have tried to find a home for before.
    Now, I just want to say they are free to a good home and if you don't live too far away I will deliver them as well, rather than see them end up in the green bin, which is where they are going this week unless a good home is found.
    So, please, do it for the sake of the lovely magazines! There is over 12 years of Edge mags to be had here, not sure if it is as complete as I recall, but there is a lot!
    Thanks.

Dundalk too far? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Why do people always abuse Streets of Rage whenever I leave for more than an hour?

This single picture is better than anything on the 3D0.

street_of_rage_05_by_findenenmacil.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Thanks.
    I'd be up for rehoming them , I'm in maynooth though ;)

:)

Gives me an idea.

Going to have to think about mine!
    I bought Chase HQ on the c64 .Ok so it was a quid , and I bought it mainly for the box and artwork , but its universally regarded as one of the worst C64 games ever..
    ..hmm I smell review ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Gold/Silver are considered the best so maybe the remakes Heart gold and soul silver would be what you want?

Went for platinum altogether; was rated the highest after black/white. Although picking your pokemon out of a briefcase? SACRILEGE! I'll get PETA on their asses :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    Ahhh, can't find the screencap from whoever was playing Pokemon Emerald (I'm guessing Atavan). Having finished White there not so long ago, and having played Red/Blue/Yellow but none of the newer bits, which would be the next best in the series after Black/White? LeafGreen/FireRed or something?!

I'd also suggest getting stuck into HG/SS after platinum. Be warned though, any of the DS games before Black and White can feel a bit outdated and slow, but still great games nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

Heart gold is nowhere near as good as the original gold IMO. Try Platnium

• Advertisement

tgx_2011___02_by_shiroang-d49npxf.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I wonder if they take credit card details? I have one here that's just going to waste whenever I'm not using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

3538bj.jpg

I bought Chase HQ on the c64 .Ok so it was a quid , and I bought it mainly for the box and artwork , but its universally regarded as one of the worst C64 games ever..
    ..hmm I smell review ;)
    I've thrown up a review (and then I threw up)
    Terrible game..
    And what the hell were those two lads up to in that car ?, some of the "talk " makes it look like they were up to something a bit intimate ..and the criminal in the car in front of them was waaay down their list of priorities..

It all goes a bit Cho Aniki the further you get into the game

"More ..push it more.."
    "bear down"
    "harder harder!!"
    "..oh man.."
    chase%20hq.png
    Lemme put it this way ..I dont think those two lads were too interested in Nancy back in HQ

• Advertisement

It all goes a bit Cho Aniki the further you get into the game

chase%20hq.png
    was it like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Gonna fill in for Enternow here

Sera WTF??????????????????????????????????

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Sera WTF??????????????????????????????????
    th_HakaseLaugh.gif
    (^clickable)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Sera wrote: »
    th_HakaseLaugh.gif
    (^clickable)

Fecker ya! 30 seconds in before I realised what was going on. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Can anyone remember the name of that Rally game on the PS1 that had the suicide mode where you drive in the opposite direction around the course to all the other cars? :/

Seppuku Racing?

Hara Kiri World Championships?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Not a rally game but is it Burnout? was that even on the PS. Great game though.

Some competition to the iCade. Although with just the one button I'm not sure how well it will do.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2011/09/12/invadercade/

But, you know, my iCade looks very lonely on its own and maybe a little brother for it is just what the doctor ordered.

It looks like Japan only at the moment but that's never stopped any of use before :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

keithgeo wrote: »
    Not a rally game but is it Burnout? was that even on the PS. Great game though.
    Nope was definitely a rallly game. Might have been a toca but im not sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭ondafly

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement