Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sera wrote: »
    I have a spare one I could give you, you'd love it, it's party pink :p with the Princess Peach thing to go over it

Contra 4 on a party pink DS? So wrong, and yet so enticing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,266 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm really enjoying Starfox 3DS...but feel completely ripped off after paying €40 :(

I'm going to have to stop paying full whack for 3DS games. It's insane.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

DinoRex wrote: »
    The new Four Swords game looks amazing by the way:

Is it just a remake of the one that was included in Link to the Past GBA? I recall never being able to get past that green temple starting screen because I had no friends with GBAs. Sniff :(
    o1s1n wrote: »
    I'm going to have to stop paying full whack for 3DS games. It's insane.

As has been said before, you'll only ever enjoy third party releases at low, low prices. Indeed, you can get the likes of SSFIV and Ghost Recon for peanuts in most places, including the Peanut Game Exchange! For Star Fox, Zelda etc... you are forever destined to pay full whack, like the mole you, I and every consumer is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Contra 4 on a party pink DS? So wrong, and yet so enticing!
    there's a catch...
    Will you cook my dinner for me? My parents aren't around and I'm not allowed to turn on the stove.
    lol jk
    would it be hard to change the shell and buttons on a DS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I genuinely think you just throw random words into youtube and see what comes back.
    Nobody could have such a list of insane videos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Is it just a remake of the one that was included in Link to the Past GBA? I recall never being able to get past that green temple starting screen because I had no friends with GBAs. Sniff :(

Looks new. Lots of levels based on different zelda games from over the years. Including monochrome Gameboy levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Mega Chin wrote: »
    I genuinely think you just throw random words into youtube and see what comes back.
    Nobody could have such a list of insane videos
    actually when I can't sleep, I go on yt looking up clips and have them on a playlist to use later.
    Except that one, that's just Lumpy Space Princess from Adventure Time <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,887 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

there's a catch...
    Will you cook my dinner for me? My parents aren't around and I'm not allowed to turn on the stove.
    lol jk

I'll do a japanese dinner for you. Also Pink is fine for me. I'm man enough to wear a pink shirt :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Is there much difference between the ds and dsi apart from the camera and sd cards?.
    Gameplay wise.
    I remember when I was in xtravision I use to bang on to customers about the dsi having a better processor or summit that made it better. Know I dunno if that's true or I just half read summit and recycled it into a half arsed sale pitch.

I don't wanna get a ds and find out here later that the dsi is so much super cooler than the ds.
    Like how my new sp is crap because it's not an ags 101.
    I bad nintendo fan.
    Just ordered mario super ball. Looks crap but has Mario so have to have it. Damn Mario is costing me.

• Advertisement

Some games are supposedly 'DSi enhanced' which says they take advantage of the faster processor presumably for better framerates. I'm not sure if it's true. Also the DSi has access to the DSi store so you can play downloadable games while the DS lite can't. However the biggest 'go **** yourself nintendo' thing keeping me away from the DSi is that the 'DSi enhanced' games are all region locked and will only work on a DSi from the correct region. However these games will work on any DS. I'd put money on the extra processing power being taken up by the new operating system and piracy protection than games gaining any real advantage.

Didn't know that.
    My OCD with retro wouldnt of allowed me to get the American games anyway.
    European games for European consoles and likewise for American. Don't like their little rating symbols.
    So there's no NTSC or Pal with the handhelds? I suppose their wouldn't be cause they ain't hooked up to tvs.

Thanks by the way Retro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I need these in my life :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

On a DS no, not at all.
    The DSlite on the other hand is a bitch, I've done two in my time and, while it got easier by the second one it is still a challenge.
    You really need a steady hand and a couple of spare hours to concentrate...
    Kinda reminds me of a girl I used to date! Bad'um D'ish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    On a DS no, not at all.
    The DSlite on the other hand is a bitch, I've done two in my time and, while it got easier by the second one it is still a challenge.
    You really need a steady hand and a couple of spare hours to concentrate...
    Kinda reminds me of playing Boulder Dash

Fyp:p

Fao Sera

Green Game Boy for sale

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just to point out that the days Teefury offering really belongs to Sera, and if Retr0 was any kind of boyfriend he'd buy it for her asap!
    1311807668_BOTTOM__072611h31m55.jpg

For some reason I just got a mad urge to play either Flimbos Quest or Fiendish Freddies Big Top O' Fun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Some games are supposedly 'DSi enhanced' which says they take advantage of the faster processor presumably for better framerates. I'm not sure if it's true. Also the DSi has access to the DSi store so you can play downloadable games while the DS lite can't. However the biggest 'go **** yourself nintendo' thing keeping me away from the DSi is that the 'DSi enhanced' games are all region locked and will only work on a DSi from the correct region. However these games will work on any DS. I'd put money on the extra processing power being taken up by the new operating system and piracy protection than games gaining any real advantage.

Ah nice, shall commandeer my sister's DS lite rather than get a DSi so :)

Damn, I'm going to have to buy a PS3 again...
    SOTC/Ico HD pack, Star Wars on Blu-ray
    "NOOOOOoooooooo!"

For some reason I just got a mad urge to play either Flimbos Quest or Fiendish Freddies Big Top O' Fun

Both cracking games and well worth playing

Play some Boulder Dash as well while your at it

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Play some Repton as well while your at it

Fixed it!

Fixed it!

Post reported:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Post reported:D

Were puting our best people on it... :)

• Advertisement

Both cracking games and well worth playing

Play some Boulder Dash as well while your at it

Im just thinking of my cousins old C64 Games System (the 1 with cartridges). Some beast of a machine :pac:

Im just thinking of my cousins old C64 Games System (the 1 with cartridges). Some beast of a machine :pac:

One on fleabay

Quite a bargain

Sweet jesus :eek:

Sweet jesus :eek:

Go on you know you want it !!!!!!:D

Not that much I dont :pac:

• Advertisement

Holy crap thats pricey! I remember them in Peats and Cleary's in Dublin and those joysticks were terrible! To think this thing was supposed to compete with the Megadrive and SNES....:eek:

Yeah, it's right there with it's stablemate the Amstrad GX4000 in the competition for "Most deluded marketing department" and also in the award for "Most likely to disappoint on Christmas Morning"

Forgot about that amstrad. Thing looks like a snow speeder from Empire Strikes Back

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Forgot about that amstrad. Thing looks like a snow speeder from Empire Strikes Back
    A mate of mine has one of those.
    if they'd been released in the mid eighties to compete with the 8 bit consoles they might have been ok , but they were up against the 16bits and got creamed. Plus they took the worst aspects of the c64/cpc (that graphically they couldnt compete with the specialized graphics power of the sms/nes etc) and none of the best bits (no keyboard, no tape deck/disk ,no cheap [budget] games etc ).It did have 2 control buttons , but only a few games used them.
    Ironically you could buy a c64 for roughly the same price as a c64GS towards the end.(may have been the same with the CPC but I never saw one of them on sale in Dublin??)
    Even Atari succumbed to the madness and brought out the XEGS (which was a cut down 8 bit computer as a console).At least though you could add a keyboard , and all the peripherals/drives etc worked with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

"Most likely to disappoint on Christmas Morning

Does that apply to post-Christmas Eve drinkiepoos across the globe? ;)

Actually there's something just from talking about the amstrad, I'd love to do a survey to see what which 8 bit computers were popular in Ireland in the eighties.

From being on UK retrogaming sites , the big three were c64/Spectrum/Amstrad with Nintendo and sega getting a tiny look in with the SMS/Nes respectively.*

Over here from my own memories it seemed to be that the Atari 800xl took the place of Amstrad, (i.e. C64/Atari 800/Spectrum)and that SMS and to a lesser extent NES were popular too.
    The Atari's were made here, heavily promoted by Peats (which were one of the main computer shops in Dublin, and Atari had a computer centre in Mosney (which acted as a kind of sales showroom too I guess , as they directed my Dad to Peats when he was asking about buying one), which may explain the fact that I knew a load of people with them.Of course you couldnt get games for them past 1988 so most people moved on to a c64/amiga/st...

(*the US seemed to be NES/Apple II/c64 with a tiny amount of Sega..more fool them I guess)

Well going from my memory I can remember 3 people with amstrads, 2 with commodores & 2 with Ataris. I feel thats accurate of the entire population :pac:

Yeah, it's right there with it's stablemate the Amstrad GX4000 in the competition for "Most deluded marketing department" and also in the award for "Most likely to disappoint on Christmas Morning"

Another console that Ocean tried to keep going. At least the conversions attempted to be an improvement on their cassette bretherin. I have at least one mate then who was secretly crushed he got this instead of a MD for christmas :P

NES wasn't popular at all here until the 16-bit era and the NES became a lot more affordable. The SMS in my experience was way more popular. For me I knew more people with C-64's and a few with Spectrums. Only knew one person with an amstrad or an Atari. Also there was a lot of people with Amigas.

From my memory as a teenage visitor to the Virgin Megastore, Easons and Clerys, the place where gamers trawled in 86, the big systems were the Spectrum and the Commodore, the Amstrad took the C64's place as the machine rich kids got, a very expensive machine even with the green screen poverty model.
    The NES and SMS never made any sort of impact on the folk who I knew were playing videogames, perhaps they were marred here by the 2600 and the way it may have seemed the dedicated console had had it's day, moving over to make way for the more versatile computer.
    The the Amiga and the ST came along and owned the late 80's, again the interlopers NES and SMS fell by the wayside in comparison to the complex and deep games available to the computers.
    It took the advent of the MD and Snes before I saw this change in 1991 and beyond.
    It may be that the Gameboy broke the ice for the Japanese console giants in Europe, before hand we had ports of DK and Mario on the home computers but other than that it was mostly new European software, ports of US games to the C64 and arcade conversions from Sega and the rest of the arcade devs. Sega would have been seen as a software/arcade developer and publisher rather than a home console manufacturer, prophetic really!
    The Amstrad was just a little too late to the party to compete with the market penetration of the Spectrum and the C64.
    The Atari home computers were arguably too early, competing with themselves in the form of the 2600 in the home before the Speccy made home computing affordable and a generation of parents were convinced that playing Knight Lore would somehow pay out in the future as their son became the head of IBM....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Talking of the Amstrad, R-Type has been remade for it. Awesome remake it is too.

Wow!
    That is amazing!
    Incredible improvements in just about everything, the only thing lost is the redundant starfield in the background.
    It's like it's running on a whole new computer.
    One wonders what they could have done with Gradius, Ghouls and Ghosts and other arcade titles had they had this kinda expertise available.
    Must get it running, via emu, on the Xbox as soon as I can find a downloadable source.

The Amstrad was a great machine when it wasn't running ported spectrum code!

That R-type looks great even if it's running a little too fast.

Ah, it's probably running at 60Hz, too damn quick.
    Needs the local standard of 50Hz, how will you manage! ;)

(I am only joking, I have no knowledge of Hz, 60 or otherwise, please do not take any comments about same by me as any kind of factual-ness, it's not, I am ignorant, but it's nice here...)

Wow!
    That is amazing!
    Incredible improvements in just about everything, the only thing lost is the redundant starfield in the background.
    It's like it's running on a whole new computer.
    One wonders what they could have done with Gradius, Ghouls and Ghosts and other arcade titles had they had this kinda expertise available.
    Must get it running, via emu, on the Xbox as soon as I can find a downloadable source.

The Amstrad ..in the right hands ..its a blurry Amiga!
    The Amstrad ..in the wrong hands it's a spectrum that someones coloured in with crayons!!

Great news for Ys fans! (So me and Johnny Ultimate then). Ys 4 remake coming to Vita with the Ys Seven engine!

Great news for Ys fans! (So me and Johnny Ultimate then). Ys 4 remake coming to Vita with the Ys Seven engine!

Probably better said in a PM between you then! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Damn, I'm going to have to buy a PS3 again...
    SOTC/Ico HD pack, Star Wars on Blu-ray
    "NOOOOOoooooooo!"

Don't do it. Lucas has made even more horrible changes in these versions.

Now Alderaan shoots first:

xWweh.gif

Probably better said in a PM between you then! ;)

More people should play Ys :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah saw the news earlier, but where does one post such a thread? It's not a JRPG, and it would just be lost amongst the riff-raff in 'games'!

It really does seem to be only myself and retr0 who have played the frickin' things despite the fact they are fantastic in every way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement