Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

keithgeo wrote: »
    Your right, cant believe i got that wrong!

Gowron_threat.jpg

I will congratulate my unnamed Star Trek source :rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Does anyone know any reputable places to buy a modded snes with region free and 50/60hz mods? Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

This guy usually has modded consoles. Postage can be a bit steep. Got my Saturn from him.

http://consolegoods.co.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

nuxxx wrote: »
    Does anyone know any reputable places to buy a modded snes with region free and 50/60hz mods? Thanks.

RetroGamer (the magazine not the poster here) usually recommends Console Passion:

http://www.consolepassion.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Either of those stores are great. Ordered from them both before. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I was talking to a girl at a party the other night and she'd played Great Gianna Sisters but had never played Super Mario Bros. Imagine that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I always wanted to play the C64 version.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

DinoRex wrote: »
    I was stalking a girl at a party the other night and imagined she'd played Great Gianna Sisters but had never played Super Mario Bros whilst abusing myself in the toilets, Imagine that?

Fixed it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Yeah can I ask how the conversation got around to the great Gianna sisters?

And the obvious, what she of the hotness variety?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

nuxxx wrote: »
    I've one coming up for trade if you've anything?
    No joypads though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Wasn't bad at all iirc.

/Edit: Eh, just to clarify, I had played SMB and am not a girl nor the person Dinorex was speaking to. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Wasn't bad at all iirc.

/Edit: Eh, just to clarify, I had played SMB and am not a girl nor the person Dinorex was speaking to. :pac:

Well, he was likely to be very very drunk and so may gotten some of the details wrong, and you may have been in a frock at the time, talking about The Great Giana Sisters and SMB, easy to make a series of errors of memory whilst inebriated and get the story slighty skewed....

Oh, and thanks a bindle to all with the talk elsewhere about Raiden, I went and put a bid down on Raiden III for the PS2, a PAL copy, on eBay.fr and now have to hope to the gods that someone out bids me!

I only bid up to 40 euro after seeing it elsewhere for 200, but still, I don't have 40 euro!

Anyone know what power supply a PSOne takes. Got one cheap with no power supply. Please don't say a specific on to the PSOne :(

Looks like Resi 4 HD is a complete farce. Capcom just ported the PC version which was a cheap tacky port that removed all the atmospheric filters, lighting and effects. So a cheap tacky port of a cheap tacky port. Well doen Crapcom.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Anyone know what power supply a PSOne takes. Got one cheap with no power supply. Please don't say a specific on to the PSOne :(

It's one specific to the PSOne.

Actually, I haven't a clue. Just wanted to say that because you asked me not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Well this is the one:

psone_ac.jpg

Grand seems pretty standard.

Yep. I pretty sure I remember it being a lot of fun.

Lets not mention the crappy Amiga version ever again...

Oh and I managed to bag myself a CD32 of my own in the end...

Xenoblade is backin stock online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Xenoblade
    who was it I was checking for it here for? I went in and they were all gone, said they'd hold one for me if it came back but it's back in stock now
    /fail/ :(

• Advertisement

Sera wrote: »
    who was it I was checking for it here for? I went in and they were all gone, said they'd hold one for me if it came back but it's back in stock now
    /fail/ :(

It was o1s1n. :)

Since when was Kula World on the PS1 so expensive?! Remeber it was on a demo and loved it so decided to have a look on ebay. Didn't expect to see it at the €40-50 mark :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Andrew76 wrote: »
    It was o1s1n. :)
    f4b8d743-5f9e-47de-b6fc-b92d5b2bd497
    Since when was Kula World on the PS1 so expensive?! Remember it was on a demo and loved it so decided to have a look on ebay. Didn't expect to see it at the €40-50 mark frown.gif
    dat demo
    remember playing it in my cousins house, was MediEvil on that too or am I imagining?
    When I was looking for K/W it was about €30 that was last September, got it in a shop in Cork for €20

Sera wrote: »
    f4b8d743-5f9e-47de-b6fc-b92d5b2bd497

Hah! I was just killing time waiting for an ebay auction to end. :)

Kula Worl has been an expensive PS1 game for years, I picked up mine for peanuts by chance but mostly it is a pricey title.
    Looks great though, and plays well.
    Kororinpa on the Wii does something similar but it's more a navigation game rather than the 3D spatial puzzles of Kula World.
    Isn't it on PSN?

Watched FAQ about Time Travel last night, brilliant! I wonder if there is any chance of a sequel? FAQ about Parallel Universes?

Still winning the auction for Raiden III at the mo, scary stuff, fingers crossed I'll be trumped before the end.
    Sometimes, just sometimes, I sit before the screen hoping against hope that someone will outbid me due to a foolhardy click on the "confirm bid" button!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Still winning the auction for Raiden III at the mo, scary stuff, fingers crossed I'll be trumped before the end.
    Sometimes, just sometimes, I sit before the screen hoping against hope that someone will outbid me due to a foolhardy click on the "confirm bid" button!

After watching some youtube vids I went and bought it last night also. In between not stalking Sera's posts. :pac:

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Watched FAQ about Time Travel last night, brilliant! I wonder if there is any chance of a sequel? FAQ about Parallel Universes?

Tried to watch that one night, but I didn't really take to it. It's no Hot Tub Time Machine.

Saw Attack the Block recently and it's really good, much better than the trailers made out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

I did a clear out of the top of my wardrobe over the weekend and found 1 x Nintendo 64 (US model), 2 x Gamecubes (purple & white), 1 x DSi, 1 x PSP, 1 x Gameboy (very old) & 1 x Wonderswan. Completely forgot that I had most of this stuff.

Can't find any of my games for the N64 though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wehey! I'll see if I can pick up Xenoblade online now. Cheers Sera :)

Kula World is in the same boat as Tombi. Everyone played and loved the demo but never bought the damn game so it's now kinda rare and silly expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

+1 on Attack the Block. Best genre film of the year; dare I suggest.

Master of the Universe

I can't buy Xenoblade from Play.com as the price is in sterling and I can only buy items priced in Euro?

**** that ****!

o1s1n wrote: »
    I can't buy Xenoblade from Play.com as the price is in sterling and I can only buy items priced in Euro?

**** that ****!

There should be a euro flag on the sidebar you can press. But as retro says, their exchange rate is a load of balls.

Your first mistake is using play.com. You have to buy from them in euro using their rape time exchange rate which doubles the sterling price. Use a decent place like amazon or one of the hut groups sellers like sendit or zavvi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

**** that ****!

<britmode>God save the pound!</britmode>

:D:D:D:D

Master of the Universe

There should be a euro flag on the sidebar you can press. But as retro says, their exchange rate is a load of balls.

HAaha! So there is. Thanks for that :D
    Your first mistake is using play.com. You have to buy from them in euro using their rape time exchange rate which doubles the sterling price. Use a decent place like amazon or one of the hut groups sellers like sendit or zavvi.

Hmm. They're quoting me €37.49 for the game including free postage. The XE conversion rate says it should be €34.40.

Tried Zavii as a comparison. Including postage it came to €38.16. Seeing as Play.com has free postage it seems to be the cheaper option.

edit - got that ordered just now anyway. How I will find the time to play it, I don't know!

• Advertisement

HAaha! So there is. Thanks for that :D

Hmm. They're quoting me €37.49 for the game including free postage. The XE conversion rate says it should be €34.40.

Tried Zavii as a comparison. Including postage it came to €38.16. Seeing as Play.com has free postage it seems to be the cheaper option!

yeah... their free postage isn't really free... looks like they roll it into the exchange rate.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

arrgh bollocks!!
    Managed to buy an AV cable from a frickin UK seller who doesnt ship here.
    Had two windows open and just spotted I clicked on the wrong one..gaah!
    Just sent him an apologizing message bascially asking if he can withdraw the offer or post it for something reasonable...f£$k!!!
    probably going to be waiting feckin days for him to respond

Wehey! I'll see if I can pick up Xenoblade online now. Cheers Sera :)

Kula World is in the same boat as Tombi. Everyone played and loved the demo but never bought the damn game so it's now kinda rare and silly expensive.

Thankfully the US and Jap copies of the game are cheaper, as in posted for under €20. Might have to pick one up! Itching to play it again!

There are a bunch of PS1 games I must pick up, Motorhead is one I must pick up, one of the first PS games to appear on PSN afaik.

Yeah picked up kula world on psn during one of the sales. Good fun but haven't played it enough. An interesting early take on 3d puzzling: Mario Galaxy owes a lot to it.

• Advertisement

I'd have to differ, aside from the point of view not sure there is a lot in common between the two.

Kula World represents a genre that seems to have migrated over to the smart phones, although the dowloadable market places on the home consoles have seen them return to their origin point to a certain extent.

Kurushi is another example of this, simple stylised visuals, fiendish gameplay.
    The VR missions in the extra disk for MGS is in the club too.

I'd be surprised if the main players behind mario galaxy had heard of kula world let alone palyed it.

Well more so the spatial shifts - might not be influenced, but surprising to see the idea being used so convincingly a decade before Mario Galaxy would popularise it :)

Obviously Nintendo took such spatial ****ery to new, brilliant extremes. But Kula World is one of those games that idea wise took a while to be replicated and built upon by others, consciously or not.

I bet none of you have one of these:

4Jn49.jpg

SMG was a long time comping cnsidering it started as the mario 128 demo to show of the gamecube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Can anyone recommend someone who repairs Game PCB's?
    Spent the whole afternoon on this board but am not having much luck, Definitely needs a professional to have a look, I don't mind posting anywhere in europe.
    Oh its a Ghosts N Goblins Bootleg if anyones wondering
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

http://cgi.ebay.ie/7-android-2-3-Wifi-Pc-Tablet-3G-Hdmi-Pad-keyboard-/180720389083?pt=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item2a13c64bdb

does anybody know if this could handle the SNES emulator at full speed? Maybe even the psx one?:o

It will handle normal emulators but not a chance of it running BSNES. As for PSX it should work but my advice is to not bother with PS1 emulation unless you really can't get a chipped original machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

It will handle normal emulators but not a chance of it running BSNES. As for PSX it should work but my advice is to not bother with PS1 emulation unless you really can't get a chipped original machine.
    I really just waant something with multi touch and flash that can run games at normal speed and SNESoid and gameboid

Recommend any other tabs under 150?

Any good 'US only' games knocking around at the moment? 'rents are over there and might send them ask them to pop into the local game store if there's anything worthwhile. I was going to go with Persona 2, but we're getting a prettier edition so may as well stall for that.

Disgaea 4 is a possibility actually...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement