Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Daytime tends to be best for straight answers to technical questions.

Nighttime tends to be the insomniacs' stream of consciousness, featuring increasingly obtuse Japanese videos and less than level-headed rants about all things arcade, retro and misc. Mostly misc.

:pac:

Then I shall ask again tomorrow!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This thread is like Mogwai - best not to feed it after midnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

[midnight rant] ALL GAMES ARE BAD [\rant]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

This thread is like Mogwai - best not to feed it after midnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Oh Allan Wake is in there as well. It used it's music diegeticly and the songs form part of the narrative.

It's another of those games that most probably missed the first time around and that can be picked up dirt cheap now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Found that a very good game. I played it up to the bulldozer and for some reason I never got back to it. I'll give it a playthrough when I finish assassins creed 2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Alan Wake just one of a.series of pretty good games from this past year, year and a half that I haven't yet bought but can pick up fro frak all.
    LA Noir, GoW3 and Enslaved are just a few.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Gears3 was a bit meh i thought, it was the same stuff over and over.

Yeah. Gears 3 didn't click with me at all and I quite enjoyed the first 2.

Oh and have you guys seen the GBA line up for the 3DS Ambassador programme?

Pretty damn sweet:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-14-nintendo-3ds-ambassador-gba-games-out-friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    LA Noire

Looks like Kotaku and I agree on this. :)

http://kotaku.com/5867787/the-best-game-music-of-2011-la-noire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I really enjoyed the start of Alan Wake and thought it was shaping up to be great.

Then I got to a section where I was just killing the same enemy again and again and again.

Now, I finished Deadly Premonition from start to finish without any of that cheating malarkey, so I'm well used to repetition.

But there was something game ruining about it in Alan Wake. I got super bored and just gave up.

Towards the end the engine just can't handle the amount of crap being thrown at you and you get some huge slow down.

It was originally supposed to be a sandbox game and there there's still odd remnants of that. Some of the huge driving sections seem a bit pointless as you're really only going from A-B with very little room for exploration.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

... And how the organisers were disappointed at the lack of western music?

It's a pretty good selection although there's a lack of 8-bit home computer tracks. Some really good ones there to check out.
    [/url]
    I'm sorry but a western computer music list without at least 10% C64 Sid tunes is instafail and not worth bothering with.

Yes, I will be pre-ordering Catherine: Stray Sheep Edition. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The basic mechanics and technology of Alan Wake plus the story, world and atmosphere of Deadly Premonition.

Game of the century.

Master of the Universe

The basic mechanics and technology of Alan Wake plus the story, world and atmosphere of Deadly Premonition.

Game of the century.

I'm a bit conflicted on that one.

It'd be great if the budget that went into Alan Wake had gone into something more striking like Deadly Premonition...but then a lot of Deadly Premonition's charm was the bad production!

So I guess you would have a fantastic game, but it would miss the crappy aspect...which in some cases, is more enjoyable than a really polished game :)

I just want a Twin Peaks videogame!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pyongyang wrote: »

If Tactics Ogre, Child of Eden and Deus Ex aren't on the list it's insta-fail.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    It'd be great if the budget that went into Alan Wake had gone into something more striking like Deadly Premonition...but then a lot of Deadly Premonition's charm was the bad production!

I'd like to see what SWERY could do with a decent budget. Deadly Premonitions low production values did help though, it seemed like a badly acted and written game but it's really one of the best written and acted games on the last decade. I have a 'back up' of another of SWERY's games Glass Rose on the PS2, I must try it out, consolevania were raving about how good the story is.
    I'm sorry but a western computer music list without at least 10% C64 Sid tunes is instafail and not worth bothering with.

Well people should have voted, I thought there would be a lot more since it was up on the retrogamer forums as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

DinoRex wrote: »
    I just want a Twin Peaks videogame!

Something for me to re-watch over Xmas thank you!

LA Noir
    you're after reminding me of a story (hope you're sitting comfortably)
    one of my friends saw the ad for LA Noir and asked "did you see that new game out?"
    I goes "which one?"
    "images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSB6ObiJMGF4xaegjuSPNA75uGGi6GpKRNPVUjqNkeHMz_puNEicw" he said

Something for me to re-watch over Xmas thank you!

Did that last xmas... it's still great... well season 1 is anyway.

The Sugar Club did a brilliant screening of the European pilot for it's 20th anniversary recently. Was brilliant. There were people dressed up, there was a cherry pie bake off and lots and lots of lovely doughnuts and damn fine coffee.

I'd like to see what SWERY could do with a decent budget. Deadly Premonitions low production values did help though, it seemed like a badly acted and written game but it's really one of the best written and acted games on the last decade. I have a 'back up' of another of SWERY's games Glass Rose on the PS2, I must try it out, consolevania were raving about how good the story is.

Well people should have voted, I thought there would be a lot more since it was up on the retrogamer forums as well.
    spotted the RG reference there afterwards.
    I'm suprised as I would have pegged HG101 as as load of 'merican console fanboys (literate ones and all but still console gamer0rzz), but I would have thought the RG forum would have upvoted some nice 8 bit stuff.
    Maybe the thread got lost?? Probably a load of Speccy fanboys had it hidden?? (the lack of a decent sound chip must still smart for them even now ;))
    Its a mystery wrapped up in an enigma , and hidden inside a riddle alrighty.

5dnJY.jpg

spotted the RG reference there afterwards.
    I'm suprised as I would have pegged HG101 as as load of 'merican console fanboys (literate ones and all but still console gamer0rzz), but I would have thought the RG forum would have upvoted some nice 8 bit stuff.
    Maybe the thread got lost?? Probably a load of Speccy fanboys had it hidden?? (the lack of a decent sound chip must still smart for them even now ;))
    Its a mystery wrapped up in an enigma , and hidden inside a riddle alrighty.
    yeah looks like it was fairly underwhelmed
    http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31642&hilit=www.hardcoregaming101.net
    Damn Speccy Lovers!!Probably flooded the forum with more fapping jet set feckin willy threads to hide it!!;)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Girlfriend finished off her dioramas with her class. Why wasn't school this much fun in my day?! They absolutely love them.

373946_10150614740344838_503414837_11677436_580887362_n.jpg

391093_10150614739304838_503414837_11677430_1176724800_n.jpg

I don't know if you can see, but there are even little text boxes with their attack commands..bless!

386128_10150614738584838_503414837_11677429_2005184512_n.jpg
    383900_10150614737134838_503414837_11677428_1135900341_n.jpg

377420_10150614735769838_503414837_11677427_2016449128_n.jpg

12279712.jpg

I heard next weeks class project is making Gucci wallets for a New York crime syndicate. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I heard next weeks class project is making Gucci wallets for a New York crime syndicate. :pac:

I heard it's making repro MegaMan: Wily Wars carts to sell on ebay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I heard it's making repro MegaMan: Wily Wars carts to sell on ebay!

and nintendi Woos

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

All great ideas lads! I'll run them by the missus. :pac:

Speaking of Nintendo Woos, I cleared off an external drive, formatted it to WBFS, dropped a game on and sweet jesus, the modded Wii works just like that. I don't believe it. Too easy!

I'm currently loading all my legit games on one by one.

I think that is the first time I've ever said 'legit games' and honestly meant it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

All great ideas lads! I'll run them by the missus. :pac:

Speaking of Nintendo Woos, I cleared off an external drive, formatted it to WBFS, dropped a game on and sweet jesus, the modded Wii works just like that. I don't believe it. Too easy!

I'm currently loading all my legit games on one by one.

I think that is the first time I've ever said 'legit games' and honestly meant it :pac:

Very nicely done isn't in, its very useable. Cidey should be along any minute with a youtube clip...:D

Never one to disappoint!

Remember Kids!
    Piracy is way wrong and Non-non-non-non-heinous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

What are the retro brother's feelings on men buying Perler Beads?

Damn you Oisín, i think I'm going to order a few thousand of those girly yokes!

God damn it, the fact each youtube result for those beads ends up with videos of girls using them, aint helping the situation! :(

Check out this awesome 8-bit Money box!

Edit: Must be some dose getting the coins back out again! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

waveform wrote: »
    God damn it, the fact each youtube result for those beads ends up with videos of girls using them, aint helping the situation! :(

Check out this awesome 8-bit Money box!

Edit: Must be some dose getting the coins back out again! ;)

Kinda like the Irish banking system, only way to get it back is too smash it all and start agin.

^^^ hahahaha!

Okay I think may be developing an unhealthy obsession with these beads:

Oisín do you know if your girlfriend is buying them in brick'n'mortar craft shops or online by any chance?

I'll have to take a sconse locally for these babies!

Oisín do you know if your girlfriend is buying them in brick'n'mortar craft shops or online by any chance?
    I'll have to take a sconse locally for these babies!
    check this post
    Edit: Must be some dose getting the coins back out again!
    sure they're only clipped in together, the main thing that would be annoying is if you didn't iron it enough and the pegs come off

Sera wrote: »
    check this post
    sure they're only clipped in together, the main thing that would be annoying is if you didn't iron it enough and the pegs come off

Thanks a lot Sera!

If I read that post already it was before I ever even dreamt of giving it a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

What are the retro brother's feelings on men buying Perler Beads?

Damn you Oisín, i think I'm going to order a few thousand of those girly yokes!

I tell you where my girlfriend got them. About a year ago (possibly two actually, I cant remember!) I bought 20,000 from that seller I linked.

They were sitting idle a few months back so she commandeered them for her school!

Only just got them back a few days ago.

Ah I don't mind, seeing children making sprite art is more than worth it.

As for the girly comment - Axel read it, leapt off my bedroom wall and is currently on his way over to have a word with you. Along with this big blue fellow.

DSC_0091-2.jpg

You may want to lock your front door :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Sonic CD is out in the apple app store this morning for those interested and possessing the required hardware. €1.59 and 258MB.

GTA 3 is also out for €3.99 and weighing in at 462MB.

I think both are universal apps so will work on iPad and iPhone.

Right, download time.

Anyone on the Vodafone network notice the download speeds are really good today in Dublin?
    Normally I only get close to these speeds late at night at home when the network is quiet.

goodspeed.jpg

Master of the Universe

Steve SI wrote: »
    Sonic CD is out in the apple app store this morning for those interested and possessing the required hardware. €1.59 and 258MB.

Seriously? That's a really weird thing to release. I know it's a Sonic game, but the vast majority of gamers today have never even heard of a Mega CD. Or else remember it vaguely as some oddity from the 90s.

I'd download it myself but I've an Android phone.

Seriously? That's a really weird thing to release. I know it's a Sonic game, but the vast majority of gamers today have never even heard of a Mega CD. Or else remember it vaguely as some oddity from the 90s.

Android too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Bug Princess is also out. Can't have too many Cave shooters!

Yeah, it's been worked on since 2009 and its a labour of love by Christian Whitehead.

Check out the basic back story here:
    http://toucharcade.com/2011/12/14/sonic-cd-review/

And as The Great Chinholio says, its out on android as well.

Also just got Bug Princess and the graphics are really bad and blurry on the iPad and iPad 2. It really looks like the just badly up-scaled the iPhone 3GS graphics for the iPad's.

I also got EspGaluda II HD for the iPad 2 this morning and that just looks great .

That Espgaluda II HD release is an absolute shafting from Cave. :mad:
    1. It's for iPad 2 only. Ridiculous.
    2. It's $13.99... or $6.99 per version.
    3. Somewhere down the line they'll start charging for in-game DLC, like they did with Deathsmiles iOS.
    4. It should have been a free upgrade. Why do you have to buy it twice?

I'll stick with the SD version on my iPad 1 and the XBOX 360 version thanks. :)

I think Bug Princess was designed for IPhone specifically, and that the IPad friendly controls were just added as a quick bonus so they don't have to go to the expense of upressing it!

I'll give it a download later on the father's IPad - first Cave IOS game I'm interested in since there's no easily available console version and comes at the right price. The device is being wasted on Tiger Woods games and Paper Toss :P

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I spent an hour or two last night trying to get a controller to work on my Mac...

I think Bug Princess was designed for IPhone specifically, and that the IPad friendly controls were just added as a quick bonus so they don't have to go to the expense of upressing it!

I'll give it a download later on the father's IPad ...

There you have it everyone - Hipster-ism confirmed :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement