Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Everyone's favourite Japanese table flipping game* Chabudai Gaeshi is now available on your smart mobile format of choice! http://www.siliconera.com/2012/01/04/%E2%95%AF%E2%96%A1%EF%BC%89%E2%95%AF%EF%B8%B5-%E2%94%BB%E2%94%81%E2%94%BB-now-for-your-iphone/

*yes, this is by default

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Everyone's favourite Japanese table flipping game* Chabudai Gaeshi is now available on your smart mobile format of choice!

AMAZING NEWS! I HAVE to have that game! Off to the App Store I go!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It is the best URL I've ever seen.

It's free too...

Also the Zenonia games are also free now.. they're pretty damn good... well number 2 is anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Everyone's favourite Japanese table flipping game* Chabudai Gaeshi is now available on your smart mobile
    awh thanks!
    and I was looking for games last night, are there anymore other good games for andriod would anyone know? (other than this, most of Hangame's games and Game Dev Story)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Good deal on a pre order of the new Resi 3DS game over on Zavi. Comes with the hideous circle pad.

We'll probably all need to get one of these monstrosities at some point. I think I may just give in and get this while the price is good.

http://www.zavvi.com/10580591.html?awc=2549_1325799545_59faa91a8a853038402396a5695c56d2&affil=awin

Edit - ordered.

€37.17 including postage for the lot. Opposed to €45 I'd imagine for just the game when it comes out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Going to order that myself, a good deal.
    This is another one I want but that price can't be right,
    £69.53 for Bit.Trip.Saga?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

More rumours concerning the successor to the 360
    A patent recently awarded to Microsoft in hints that the new console could have the ability to record video. The abstract of the patent describes an 'integrated gaming and media experience' that includes 'recording of content on a gaming console.' What's more, the filing goes on to describe a DVR application running alongside a TV client component that allows users to record media content on the console, even while playing games.

"The DVR application also integrates itself with the console menu," the abstract explains. "Once integrated, users can record media content while playing games. Alternatively, users can record content when the gaming console is turned off. The recorded content can include television programming, gaming experience (whether local or online), music, DVDs, and so on. When in the recording state, users can also switch between various other media modes, whether gaming, television, and so on."

Sourceage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You know what, it's probably true. With all the bellends filling up youtube with videos of thier headshots while 'let the bodies hit the floor' plays it would be a good move if MS could set up the ability to record gameplay and let people upload it to servers and attach it to their profiles. It would be an even better move for MS to license let the bodies hit the floor to all users.

• Advertisement

Could be why Microsoft are being coy about SOPA.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's a rumour that Spark unlimited, creators of some of the worst and most forgettible shooters this gen have been the developers of Resident Evil 6...

:(

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    With all the bellends filling up youtube with videos of thier headshots while 'let the bodies hit the floor' plays

So true :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think the new menu on the 360 is a bad omen of things to come.
    A games console where games you own take 4th place behind ads for games you don't, media streaming and social networking.
    It may end up a game of "hunt the pixel" to find the shortcut to your own games collection while it blends into a background of video clips peddling Fifa outfits for your avatar and the latest ep of Corrie.
    Sad days indeed.

Isn't it a pity then you can't customise your desktop and get rid of the sh1te you don't want, like on the system menu of the Wii or 3DS?

Yeah the new 360 Dash is a real step back. Pain in the arse to find what you want quickly (and I'll be damned if I'm using Bing!). The last update wasn't perfect, but I grew fond of it over time and could see the benefits over the last one. This just looks slick for slicks sake, and seems disturbingly catered towards Kinect.

The Christmas sale was particularly poor - not even a link to take you to what was on sale. Had to find out online and then search for the games manually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I always loved the animated shorts Eric Schwartz created on the Amiga scene back in the day.

Here's an Animated Amiga Tribute by him made in 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Steve SI wrote: »
    I always loved the animated shorts Eric Schwartz created on the Amiga scene back in the day.

Here's an Animated Amiga Tribute by him made in 2008.

Shame that you cant multi thank a post on boards

Absolutly brilliant nearly wet myself with the virus referance :D

Nice 1 Steve :)

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Shame that you cant multi thank a post on boards

Absolutly brilliant nearly wet myself with the virus referance :D

Nice 1 Steve :)

No problem. Came across it a while back while going through a huge folder of misc retro vids on my computer. So many cool little vids and retro ads.

I actually remember looking forward to the fmv interludes when I played the 3do.
    The Horde was great fun, the opponent in NFS, a character removed in all other versions, the celebration screen for a win in Return Fire, the success /failure videos in Road Rash, most of Megarace!
    Yet now I dread it and yearn in most cases for a skip button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Yahtzee just put this on hus youtube channel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Just back from Bray, played a load of MarioKart Arcade, bloody fun game:D
    Then went to Game in Tallaght and saw Shinobi for €15 damn MK Arcade ate all my monies so I couldn't buy it:(

pdbhp wrote: »
    Then went to Game in Tallaght and saw Shinobi for €15 damn MK Arcade ate all my monies so I couldn't buy it:(

Have they fixed the mario kart in bray yet?
    Last time I played it the player 1 cab had loads of missing textures(like the road).

Steve SI wrote: »
    Have they fixed the mario kart in bray yet?
    Last time I played it the player 1 cab had loads of missing textures(like the road).

Yes and no, the road textures on yoshi's levels are still not there but other courses have somehow came back to life.
    Last week I was there and P1 cab was even more broken, the wheel was all limp and busted but they've seemed to have repaired that.

Fantastic game would love an 8 player cab, just imagine the fun from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Shinobi for €15? Second hand? Must see if Game in town have it for that!!!!

Shinobi for €15? Second hand? Must see if Game in town have it for that!!!!

Brand spanking new, reduced from €45. I was astounded as that game is only out. Crying shame I had no monies:(

• Advertisement

Brand spanking new, reduced from €45. I was astounded as that game is only out. Crying shame I had no monies:(

Holy craps, better get my ass up there tomorrow so!
    Betch its only a deal in the Tallaght store :(

Heard its a good game but pretty damn hard.

Holy craps, better get my ass up there tomorrow so!
    Betch its only a deal in the Tallaght store :(

Heard its a good game but pretty damn hard.

Don't know if it's in other stores but they had a few copies knocking about.

I'd say it's pretty good but in true Shinobi fashion it's probably designed to kick your áss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

What screen should a mega drive show if there's no cartridge in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

What screen should a mega drive show if there's no cartridge in it?

This video should inform you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

This video should inform you

Phew. Thought I had a broken mega drive there for a sec :pac:

• Advertisement

Don't know if it's in other stores but they had a few copies knocking about.

I'd say it's pretty good but in true Shinobi fashion it's probably designed to kick your áss.

Yay! Got the 'last(?)' copy of Shinobi in GAME in the Ilac centre today!
    Was €15.98, reduced from €22. I got it for €10 as I had a bit of cash on that GAME card thingy.

Nice one pdbhp, thanks for telling me!

Yay! Got the 'last(?)' copy of Shinobi in GAME in the Ilac centre today!
    Was €15.98, reduced from €22. I got it for €10 as I had a bit of cash on that GAME card thingy.

Nice one pdbhp, thanks for telling me!

No bother, let me know how it is and if I get monies I'll buy it

Looking at one of these XRBG 2 upscalers, I'd say running a scart switcher box into it for some consoles would turn out pretty well.

Does anyone have any experience with upscaling boxes and stuff?

xrgb-2plus_zoom.jpg

If using it with a scart switcher box, make sure all ports on it are RGB. Not all are, I got two Madcatz manual switch boxes for the attic, primarily because all four ports are RGB

You running them through an upscaler aswell?

You running them through an upscaler aswell?

Nope, straight into the CRT for the older ones. But for using the upscaler you'll want the best source quality therfore RGB on all switch ports is desireable

Be very careful with XRGB devices. The SCART port is a Japanese 21 pin SCART. You will need an EU > NTSC-J adapter to convert the signal between your EU SCART cable and the XRGB.

Trust me, you put anything but a 21 pin NTSC-J SCART cable in to an XRGB and you'll fry not only the XRGB but anything connected to it too. Make sure of that converter purchase!

Personally I wouldn't buy an XRGB2 now, or the XRGB2+. An XRGB3 maybe, but to be honest it's a toss up between an XRGB3 and the new XRGB Mini. Even then, the main benefit of the XRGB is the scanline generator, which you may as well buy an SLG 3000 for and get a separate scaler instead. Heck, even an HDBOX Pro or one of it's clones connected to an SLG will see you right.

I love my iScan HD+ and my HDBOX Pro clone. They do the job with my SLG and Sync Strike in tow. However remember to check for inputs and outputs, especially if you plan to capture later on. You may find you want to get a DVDO Edge although if you throw HDMI in the loop at any point, you'll need an HD Fury 3 (not a 1 or 2) to strip the HDCP. I have a DVDO VP20 under my TV that takes my satellite receiver/PVR and upscales SDTV to 1080p. I haven't tried connecting my XBOX 360 to it yet per the HDCP issue. I'm looking in to getting an HD Fury 3 at some point this year but have no major need for one right now.

However, you may also find you need a scan converter. I have a great one I bought from the USA that will scan convert Component to VGA and vice versa. It starts getting complicated there so you really need to ask yourself what you want to acheive and how much you want to spend.

If you can pick up an XRGB2 super cheap (like, sub-€170) then get one. But to be honest, you might as well buy an SLG and an HDBOX Pro clone and save yourself a few bob.

Well I just want to have everything looking as best as it can on my HD tv.

I have the 360, PS3 and HDMI things all going straight to the TV

I just want an upscaler to run the MD, Saturn etc into and I know little to nothing about doing it. I assumed the jap stuff would be really easy to blow up so and up scaler and a scanline generator would be the bees knees you recon?

I'm buiding a whole media unit from scratch so I'd drop a few pound on an upscaler etc. By worth it in the long run like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

No room for a nice big 29 inch 4:3 Trinitron no?

They're cheap as chips these days!

I would like one but dont have the space, only one room I have to work with and its going to be my living room/workstation aswell.

So everything has to be going into the one tv thats there

• Advertisement

so and up scaler and a scanline generator would be the bees knees you recon?

Yep. Buy yourself the full kit from Arcadeforge. The SLG, Sync Strike & Scaler kit. That'll sort you out nicely if you don't want to spend frightening amounts of money and just have something that works great. :)

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Be very careful with XRGB devices. The SCART port is a Japanese 21 pin SCART. You will need an EU > NTSC-J adapter to convert the signal between your EU SCART cable and the XRGB.

Trust me, you put anything but a 21 pin NTSC-J SCART cable in to an XRGB and you'll fry not only the XRGB but anything connected to it too. Make sure of that converter purchase!

That's mad, I never knew there were diffences in the SCART standard. How come JAP consoles work over here via scart etc?

So were talking this package here?

SLG 3000

Scart

Sync Strike

Oh right, lovely, So run the multiscart through that and into the tv then?

Thanks for the help Pyongyang, Sorry for being a n00b and asking stupid questions

*Edit I was RTFMing and I answered my own question

I'll order that kit during the week and build a little box for the back of my media unit to house it, think I'll label it the "****ing Flux Capacitor"

If you are using SCART out from your consoles, then SCART OUT > Sync Strike > Scaler > SLG > TV will be perfect. The Sync Strike has phono breakouts too so you can plug those in to a headphone jack with an adapter or in to your AV receiver or what have you.

Mentioned these guys in the past, Shaun aka FaginRS500 is an absolute legend, and Tobias aka fudoh is equally a legend when it comes to scalers and processors and scanlines.

Here's three excellent links you really want to be checking out. Lots of great info from two top blokes:

http://scanlines.hazard-city.de

http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de

http://www.youtube.com/user/Faginrs500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

EnterNow wrote: »
    That's mad, I never knew there were diffences in the SCART standard. How come JAP consoles work over here via scart etc?

Jap consoles work on European scart cables as the console side connection pin outs are the same.
    But a jap RGB cable won't work on our tv's As the pinouts are wrong on the scart side.
    See links
    http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:japanese_rgb-21
    So using a jap RGB(scart) switch has bad news written all over it

haha I was only watching fagins youtube channel, saw links on the arcade forge forum.

This really is no mans land to me. Gets me very confused very easy so I think that diy scaler kit will be the perfect thing for me. Now a good RGB scart switcher box and some good cables and I'll be sorted

I was looking at that Gamecube component lead aswell but I cant justify paying the ebay prices of almost 100 euro for a cable

Yep, what CathalDublin said. I meant to put that in the prior post. If you put anything other than an NTSC-J SCART cable in to an XRGB you're asking for trouble.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement