Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

GoG are teasing 'one of the most requested titles' beginning with an S is coming to their store on the 19th. More than likely it's System Shock. Everyone needs to play these two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Yep, 80's Synth Pop posted it in the Everdrive thread.

Stoked!

Can't see the genesis PCM vid until I get home.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    GoG are teasing 'one of the most requested titles' beginning with an S is coming to their store on the 19th. More than likely it's System Shock. Everyone needs to play these two games.

It'd be great but isnt it stuck in a legal quagmire with EA at the moment?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

System shock 2 is. System Shock on the other hand is actually freeware, well I think it is. System Shock 2 is definitely a cluster**** with EA owning some rights while some accountancy firm owns the rest of it with some of it lying with Irrational games.

TBH the Dungeons and Dragons RPGs were a cluster**** of licensing issues but the guys at GoG managed after months of negotiating to get the games on their store and they were very successful with them. It wouldn't surprise me if they managed to work out something between the various parties here as well. They've also been sort of teasing it for some time now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

went for a walk at lunch and spotted the Sony shop on Baggot street are selling the iCade now, it was in the window, didnt check out price or anything but im sure its twice as much as you can get it on the internet.

• Advertisement

Maybe I got my hopes up, it could also be Syndicate. If it is I hope Syndicate Wars comes as well since I've played the crap out of the first game but only played the sequel briefly. Might not happen since all the Manga adverts would have to be replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If it is I hope Syndicate Wars comes as well since I've played the crap out of the first game but only played the sequel briefly..

:eek:
    Might not happen since all the Manga adverts would have to be replaced.

I'm pretty sure the only anime style advert was for Ghost in the shell. Most of them were related to 2000AD. Almost pissed myself with excitement when I saw them originally as you never really see 2000AD in anything...nevermind things like Rogue Trooper and Slaine animated!

Seems this guy has them viewable here.

http://syndicate.lubie.org/swars/gallery/swars_movies_adverts.php

Was always meant to get a lend of Syndicate Wars off my friend but never got around to it unfortunately :(

Master of the Universe

You should definitely give it a go. I haven't played it in years, but I'd imagine it still holds up well.

There's really nothing like persuading an army of people, getting them all to pick up guns and going on a rampage :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

GoG are teasing 'one of the most requested titles' beginning with an S is coming to their store on the 19th.

But they already released Super Frog!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I think I remember a few of you guys talking about Catherine last year.

Is it worth getting? It looks like a fun game but I've heard that the puzzle sections are tedious as f**k. Anyone completed it? If so would you recommend it?

I like special editions of games and she seems to be coming with quite the dowery when you package the pre-order bonuses and the special edition.

http://www.gamersireland.ie/?p=12349

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Been dying with man flu since Thursday, twas so bad I couldn't even use the internets:(
    Feeling better now but my eyes are still burning so no gaming and the money I had gotten to buy Mariokart7 I had to spend on bloody medicine:( but it made me all better:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Is it worth getting? It looks like a fun game but I've heard that the puzzle sections are tedious as f**k. Anyone completed it? If so would you recommend it?

I like special editions of games and she seems to be coming with quite the dowery when you package the pre-order bonuses and the special edition.

It's a fantastic games. Some of the later puzzles are hard as **** but I honestly found them to be extremely involving once you got the hang of it. Actually went back to try and 'perfect' them which is rare for me. Never got as far as the really hard ones though :P

But really, you're buying it for the story and presentation. It won't be for everyone, but it's a fascinating oddity. The US special edition is great, although never did get around to wearing those boxer shorts...

I'd highly recommend it. It's one of the few games that's well written and deals with its themes in a mature manner. I also found the puzzle sections far from tedious as **** and absolutely loved them. They're all really well designed but they are tough.

If it wasn't for Dark Souls it would have been my game of year.

I got the US special edition and couldn't have been happier with it.

I only found out recently but Catherine has become a big competition sport in a lot of gaming and anime conventions were it's played a longside the likes of Street Fighter 4 as a competition game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I'd highly recommend it. It's one of the few games that's well written and deals with its themes in a mature manner. I also found the puzzle sections far from tedious as **** and absolutely loved them. They're all really well designed but they are tough.

If it wasn't for Dark Souls it would have been my game of year.

I got the US special edition and couldn't have been happier with it.

I only found out recently but Catherine has become a big competition sport in a lot of gaming and anime conventions were it's played a longside the likes of Street Fighter 4 as a competition game.
    It's a fantastic games. Some of the later puzzles are hard as **** but I honestly found them to be extremely involving once you got the hang of it. Actually went back to try and 'perfect' them which is rare for me. Never got as far as the really hard ones though :P

But really, you're buying it for the story and presentation. It won't be for everyone, but it's a fascinating oddity. The US special edition is great, although never did get around to wearing those boxer shorts...

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to check it out so.

My birthday is in February but I don't think I'll be able to ask my fiancée for it. One look at the cover and.... that's a no.
    catherine360cover_120410.jpg

It's no Dragon Age or Mass Effect. It actually deals with the subject of sex in a very mature manner while avoiding full on nudity. You'll see worse in the average episode of Eastenders.

ynKye.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Something very strange is after happening...
    It's been reportedly announced over on the Retro Shop/Bargains/Auctions page....

I'm going to have to have a lie down,
    I think it's what they meant by the End of Days in the book of Revelations...

Smoke 'em if you got 'em folks...

Click but be prepared to have your world view tumbled into the abyss!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Has anyone got a link so i can get all the xport emus for the xbox

no bloody way im going through that irc chit:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Anyone have or ever play any of the Shadow Of The Colossus Prototypes?

I've a disc image of one here and its supposed to have much better frame rate than the final release. I've no modded PS2 so cant test it on real hardware and emulators are unreliable for testing these things.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Steve SI wrote: »
    Anyone have or ever play any of the Shadow Of The Colossus Prototypes?

I've a disc image of one here and its supposed to have much better frame rate than the final release. I've no modded PS2 so cant test it on real hardware and emulators are unreliable for testing these things.

Post it down to me and I'll let you know how it plays. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Post it down to me and I'll let you know how it plays. :D

Well its a disc image, so it can be transported across the interwebs instead of An Post ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

It would help if I read your post correctly. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

:mad:

On the morning show on tv3 they're blaming video games (and rhianna) for young girls being promiscuous and boys being overpowering and agressive towards girls. The reporter even said that she saw one game where you can beat up a prostitute and another where at the end you see the main character climbing into bed with a woman*!

*What is this game so I can em, do some research?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

got linked to a aim and shoot (what do you call them really?) game based on Katawa Shoujo called Katawa Crash

ktcrashoverall1.jpg?t=1326802534

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

:mad:

On the morning show on tv3 they're blaming video games (and rhianna) for young girls being promiscuous and boys being overpowering and agressive towards girls. The reporter even said that she saw one game where you can beat up a prostitute and another where at the end you see the main character climbing into bed with a woman*!

*What is this game so I can em, do some research?

And these parents were letting their young kids play games intended for mature audiences because ?

Master of the Universe

And these parents were letting their young kids play games intended for mature audiences because ?

'But Joe! Little Timmy looked at mummy with his big pwetty pwease puppy dog eyes and mummy just couldn't say no. Why should mummy deny her child what he wants because these videogame companies make such evil games? Videogames are for children! These games shouldn't exist!'

The mystery GoG game is Syndicate. No sign of Syndicate Wars either.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Well that's a let down :(

The mystery GoG game is Syndicate. No sign of Syndicate Wars either.

I am disappoint.
    (I'll stick to me original system shock II retail disk for now ;))

It was one of those games I played to death as a kid.

Playing again would just remind me too much of long boring rainy afternoons from my childhood.

Martin Luther King Day was yesterday:

2g1WI.jpg

Master of the Universe

What's the worst thing which could happen if you were (rather excitedly)waiting for a big couch to be delivered to your house?

Arriving home, an hour before the delivery, to find a giant yellow skip in your driveway, full of trees - blocking all access to the house.

WHAT.THE.****.

o1s1n wrote: »
    What's the worst thing which could happen if you were (rather excitedly)waiting for a big couch to be delivered to your house?

Arriving home, an hour before the delivery, to find a giant yellow skip in your driveway, full of trees - blocking all access to the house.

WHAT.THE.****.

Ring the number on the side and tell them to come back and shift it. Otherwise you'll get the council to haul it off since it's pay and display there if I'm not mistaken.

• Advertisement

Oh... should have mentioned it earlier. But it's been a busy week.

We're going to have a go at recording a podcast this evening if anyone wants to pop out to the radio station here.

Based in Coolock and the studios are book for 19.00.

DinoRex wrote: »
    Oh... should have mentioned it earlier. But it's been a busy week.

We're going to have a go at recording a podcast this evening if anyone wants to pop out to the radio station here.

Based in Coolock and the studios are book for 19.00.
    ah balls , would love to but I'm the other end of the city :(

May look at doing a recording on the weekend for the next one. Might be handier for people to make it out then.

Someone has to be there to keep my ranting at bay!

In other news, there's a Capcom bar in Japan serving some very tasty Resident Evil desserts:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/interest/2012-01-13/capcom-bar-to-serve-resident-evil-brain-cake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Someone has to be there to keep my ranting at bay!

In other news, there's a Capcom bar in Japan serving some very tasty Resident Evil desserts:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/interest/2012-01-13/capcom-bar-to-serve-resident-evil-brain-cake

If there was a dolphin on the advertisement it'd be nothing out of the blue in Japan. They love their barbaric yumminess :)

dolphin_slaughter_taiji_japan_the_cove_brooke_mcdonald_22.jpg

I wonder if the waiters are trained to voice act as badly as the game voice acting & out of sync gestures :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Haha, manged to get 40 of the feckers until my brain said.....enough,
    time for you to play some mindless games instead.

It would be a good alternative to sleeping pills though.

On the morning show on tv3 they're blaming video games (and rhianna) for young girls being promiscuous and boys being overpowering and agressive towards girls

I might be concerned if it was on a show that more than 4 people watch.

Seriously though, FFS, im so tired of this lame old argument being re-hashed by sh1t presenters and lazy tv and radio producers who should know better. If games, or films, or any other medium are classified with a ratings system to ensure they don't fall into the wrong hands, and nobody is breaking any laws in terms of developing their content, then the only people who are at fault are irresponsible retailers and parents who are too negligent to keep an eye on what their kids are playing. Half the time, parents are the ones paying for the games in the first place.

Age restricting a games console takes 3 minutes, if you bother to educate yourself on how to do it by reading the f**king manual. Speaking as a parent, parents who complain about kids playing 18+ games are just looking to pass the buck in safeguarding their kids because they're too lazy to put the work in to it themselves.

Moving on....

Just back from the podcast recording. Think it went well.

Will hopefully have it up by the end of the week.

If anyone is interested in joining in on the next on then let me know.

Maybe Saturday afternoon on the 28th?

Would love to have someone on to talk about Lucas Arts graphic adventures with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Well done Sonic. The only things worse than these jokes is the current state of your game series:

85X7M.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

it smells of 90's

it smells of 90's

Bang of 90's off yeh!

DinoRex wrote: »
    Just back from the podcast recording. Think it went well.

Will hopefully have it up by the end of the week.

If anyone is interested in joining in on the next on then let me know.

Maybe Saturday afternoon on the 28th?

Would love to have someone on to talk about Lucas Arts graphic adventures with me.

Had great fun at this, just hope I wasn't rubbish! Would love to do it again. Wouldn't mind being on a Lucas Arts episode but as I said I don't mind being replaced by people that have more experience in them than me.

As for suggestions for episodes, wouldn't mind a System Shock or Earthbound/Mother one :)

Give me a shout when the Pokémon episode comes around!

Sure you're no expert at Pokemon, we all saw you lose in the opening round of the Nom Con competition :P

It would be nice to have other people there to bounce the conversation around though, I got off an impromptu Goldeneye jab that disappointingly didn't cause controversy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement