Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Happyman42 wrote: »
    It's anything but journalism......real journalism gets answers. Vinny is just a hysterical mouthpiece for the masses I'm afraid.

YEH ! He should have went up on that stage to the ECB guy and beat the crap outta him til he got an answer, YEH !:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

It's anything but journalism......real journalism gets answers. Vinny is just a hysterical mouthpiece for the masses I'm afraid.

Although he certainly was grandstanding, I think he did do some good today.. When you spell it out as directly as he did in front of the International audience, it will certainly get people's attention.. And what he said about the injustice of us paying back unsecured bondholders to save other European banks (while at the same time being vilified by other European countries for being reckless) is true..

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

Howyiz Klaus.

Who was the "decent and honorable man" that Twomey was talking about? Couldn't have been a politician anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Who is a 'real' journalist in this country?

• Advertisement

Having read yere earlier comments about the difference between Vincent's appearance at the press conference and his appearance on the show tonight... I reckon he's been using..

aerosol_black.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

vicwatson wrote: »
    YEH ! He should have went up on that stage to the ECB guy and beat the crap outta him til he got an answer, YEH !:eek:

It's a cheap hack trick to indulge the indignant masses.....ask a question that no polition will answer, because to do so will be poliical suicide. Then have a hissy rabble rousing fit.:rolleyes: It was the same trick with Cowen and Ahern for god's sake. No wonder other TV stations cut away......they will not answer that type of question...it's beyond pointless. P. Boucher Hayes, a 'real journalist could give him lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Plautus wrote: »
    It might be argued that teacher to pupil ratios, or special resource teachers, do affect the pupils in ways that are more than tangential, JonathanAnon.

If the parents consent to their children joining the protests, I don't see the problem. It's not pay increases that's the main message of these protests: is it?

I really don't have any problem with schools having protests about their potential cuts. Other schools do have the right IMO to join protests whenever they feel that their finances or resources have a tendency to say no more.

I am no financial expert here, But, we are living in a democracy. Every other school has to go the through the same rules regarding having permission from the DES.

So, I really do not find it a big surprise.

It's a cheap hack trick to indulge the indignant masses.....ask a question that no polition will answer, because to do so will be poliical suicide. Then have a hissy rabble rousing fit.:rolleyes: It was the same trick with Cowen and Ahern for god's sake. No wonder other TV stations cut away......they will not answer that type of question...it's beyond pointless. P. Boucher Hayes, a 'real journalist could give him lessons.

YEH ! He should have went up on that stage to the ECB guy and beat the crap outta him til he got an answer, YEH !eek.gif

And yet, it's still a perfectly valid question: which it is useful to ask when it never seems to elicit a straightforward answer. That's the malaise - and you insist on shooting the messenger of the fact that our politicians are venal and refuse to answer such difficult questions.

Vincent's had a 40 year career in journalism and it's stretched from questioning Haughey at a time when everyone said exactly the same thing you're saying (why ask such questions, it's so dreadfully tawdry and cheap), to bread-and-butter election coverage.

If he's not a journalist, a real one, there are none in the world. Boucher-Hayes probably has a justifiably higher opinion of him than you do.

• Advertisement

Plautus wrote: »
    And yet, it's still a perfectly valid question: which it is useful to ask when it never seems to elicit a straightforward answer. That's the malaise - and you insist on shooting the messenger of the fact that our politicians are venal and refuse to answer such difficult questions.

Vincent's had a 40 year career in journalism and it's stretched from questioning Haughey at a time when everyone said exactly the same thing you're saying (why ask such questions, it's so dreadfully tawdry and cheap), to bread-and-butter election coverage.

If he's not a journalist, a real one, there are none in the world. Boucher-Hayes probably has a justifiably higher opinion of him than you do.

Vinny gets reactions....not answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

Although he certainly was grandstanding, I think he did do some good today.. When you spell it out as directly as he did in front of the International audience, it will certainly get people's attention.. And what he said about the injustice of us paying back unsecured bondholders to save other European banks (while at the same time being vilified by other European countries for being reckless) is true..

I like your stuff usually Jon but not the above.

VB is a blustering bully and a narrow minded polemicist.

On his own show he controls the discussion with merciless disregard for fair procedures.

Tonight he was one of a crowd and treated as such; Klaus did a right job on him. Bravo.

[From Karl Whelen turns out we are paying the promissory notes to ourselves and the interest rate is irrelevant.]

And those reactions are telling. Anyone who was on top of their brief would not have anything to fear from Vincent. Trouble is, folks rarely are.

Are you serious Good Loser? Klaus 'did a job' on Vincent Browne? I'm intrigued. Bemused. And intrigued.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I disagree, most senior politicians are terrified of the man as they know he doesn't do soft focus interviews, he doesn't care who you are he is committed to asking the tough questions. Look at Enda Kenny, he didn't even have the bottle to appear on Vincent's programme when he was the leader of the opposition.

Good loser wrote: »
    Tonight he was one of a crowd and treated as such; Klaus did a right job on him. Bravo.

I couldnt agree about Klaus... but I think the language barrier is significant.. It's probably not fair to expect Klaus to be able to carry out a proper economic debate in a language that is clearly not his first.. A cynic might say that this "fog of translation" serves a purpose..

Good loser wrote: »
    VB is a blustering bully

He is not bully, but there is no doubt about it, Vincent has a very robust and sometimes aggressive interview technique and I think some of this comes from being a barrister. I'd say there are times when panelists feel there in a court room instead of a TV studio.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I disagree, most senior politicians are terrified of the man as they know he doesn't do soft focus interviews, he doesn't care who you are he is committed to asking the tough questions. Look at Enda Kenny, he didn't even have the bottle to appear on Vincent's programme when he was the leader of the opposition.

They are terrified because of his style, he harangues and it's impossible to come off well in the face of that.
    He asked the question 2 years ago and what did he do today?.....asked the same question. :rolleyes: If an employee of mine had a productivity record like that he/she would be signing on.

They are terrified because of his style, he harangues and it's impossible to come off well in the face of that.
    He asked the question 2 years ago and what did he do today?.....asked the same question. :rolleyes: If an employee of mine had a productivity record like that he/she would be signing on.
    Well there isn't much hope for this country when people like the Taoiseach, Tanaiste and Minister of Finance are all too afraid to meet Vincent Browne. It is appalling that they won't appear on the programme.

Well there isn't much hope for this country when people like the Taoiseach, Tanaiste and Minister of Finance are all too afraid to meet Vincent Browne. It is appalling that they won't appear on the programme.

Like me, I'd imagine they think....'What's the point?'.

Personally, I feel they are gutless. They won't appear on the show as they have seen Vincent expose the weaknesses of others - for example; Bertie and Joan Bruton. Enda Kenny couldn't even cope with a soft focus interview from Ryan Tubridy on the LLS (when he was leader of the opposition) so maybe he is right to stay away from Vincent. I just wish, I could refuse to deal with awkward clients and customers in my work place, some people have all the luck :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

In this mass communication age, if the top dogs of government (just like Cowen and Lenihan before), are not willing to be transparent enough to the masses, then you have to question should they by in the positions they are in.

For example, don't think Kenny has ever done a live interview with anybody on TV3 before (correct me if wrong), and that is one of the two big TV broadcasters in our country.

Reverse the premise. I wouldn't hire a person, or group of persons, who couldn't give a straight answer to a straight question such that they should still be being asked said question two years later.

I know whose job performance I'm not satisfied with, and it's not Vincent Browne's.

I don't buy the language barrier argument. Klaus is a member of the European Civil Service; I'm sure he's perfectly competent in English.

For example, don't think Kenny has ever done a live interview with anybody on TV3 before (correct me if wrong), and that is one of the two big TV broadcasters in our country.
    He gave Ursula Halligan an interview prior to the General Election because he was getting loads of stick for not appearing on the debate chaired by Vincent Browne. That is the only interview I ever remember him giving to TV3 in recent times.

He gave Ursula Halligan an interview prior to the General Election because he was getting loads of stick for not appearing on the debate chaired by Vincent Browne. That is the only interview I ever remember him giving to TV3 in recent times.

Pre record though - at the Aviva, I think. Different pressure when you are live.

Pre record though - at the Aviva, I think. Different pressure when you are live.
    Unfortunately, in a lot of cases journalists have to submit a copy of their questions to the government press office before any interview can be agreed with senior government ministers. That is not journalism :mad: Thankfully, we still have a few journalists in the country who have guts to ask the hard questions.

We know they are gutless, we know they won't answer straight questions and we know they aren't transperant.....Vinny also knows this and uses that to his advantage, tabloids know the same thing. You overestimate TV3's sphere of influence. They all know that those who watch TV3 and champion Vinny's rabble rousing are lost to them anyway. TV3 have made themselves redundant to the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Eoghan Harris disagrees

Also can anyone recall a time when the General Secretaryof any Department was interviewed on TV, Radio or in Print while in office? TK Whitaker might have.

Without looking up department website name at least 5 general Secretaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Elmo wrote: »
    Eoghan Harris disagrees

Also can anyone recall a time when the General Secretaryof any Department was interviewed on TV, Radio or in Print while in office? TK Whitaker might have.

Without looking up department website name at least 5 general Secretaries.
    Poor old U turn Harris,shure what would they know about corruption and nepotism in the Sunday Independant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

So do you would think it would serve the public interest better if VB was not on the air?

Are you happy with the level of impartiality, questioning and insight by RTE presenters?

VB blows hot and cold. That I will give you. He can be annoying, domineering, pigheaded and repetetive. He can also be sharp, funny, informed and tenacious. He doesn't dance to anyones tune, he frequently gets good panels, and has helped educate us all on what has and is happening with the country

I find your position quite defeatist really. I would rather it became the norm that politicians expect and are prepared to answer direct hard questions rather than the norm to be able to 'debate' at prime time level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Unfortunately, in a lot of cases journalists have to submit a copy of their questions to the government press office before any interview can be agreed with senior government ministers. That is not journalism :mad: Thankfully, we still have a few journalists in the country who have guts to ask the hard questions.

i think thats a fecking disgrace but neatly sums up the problem with the media in this country

a "do you mind terribly if i ask you this question?

no?

ok then i wont"

ill give vinny one thing, he goes for the jugular when its exposed. the only sad thing is when he's too old to do this anymore i dont see ANYONE to replace him.

the rest of our "journalists" are a bunch of spineless insiders.

i was out last night so im looking forward to streaming this one. im not surprised RTE cut away either, theyve a LOOOOOOONG tradition of sparing "our betters" their blushes.

wait till you see though.

itll make "reeling in the years" in ten years time when it wont effect their paypacket/job security.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement