Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭chimmy chonga

wait till you see though.

itll make "reeling in the years" in ten years time when it wont effect their paypacket/job security.
    Makes you wonder why the likes of Pat Kenny and Marian are paid such obscene amounts Vinny makes them look amateurish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Makes you wonder why the likes of Pat Kenny and Marian are paid such obscene amounts Vinny makes them look amateurish.

I would disagree with regard to Pat Kenny IMO he's every bit as good as Vinnie.
    Anyway I only got around to watching last night's prog now & I was rather confused ... was that the 'real' Vinny or the Mario Vinny? Between the hair & the shirt collar it's becoming more & more difficult to tell them apart. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

D1stant wrote: »
    So do you would think it would serve the public interest better if VB was not on the air?

Are you happy with the level of impartiality, questioning and insight by RTE presenters?

VB blows hot and cold. That I will give you. He can be annoying, domineering, pigheaded and repetetive. He can also be sharp, funny, informed and tenacious. He doesn't dance to anyones tune, he frequently gets good panels, and has helped educate us all on what has and is happening with the country

I find your position quite defeatist really. I would rather it became the norm that politicians expect and are prepared to answer direct hard questions rather than the norm to be able to 'debate' at prime time level

Most media pundits/interviewers and journalists shamelessly arse lick the public prejudices - they are often worse than politicians.

For instance is their any journalist consistantly pointing out the obvious fact that social welfare has to be significantly reduced?

Every single cutback that has been announced, as far as I can see, has been ruthlessly and uselessly denounced by VB.

At press conference yesterday VB was climbing steadily into anger mode - Having answered once I was most chuffed with how Klaus refused to engage and twice whispered his reply to the assistant. Game, set and match really to Klaus.

On the show last night then Karl Whelan came out with two startling comments on the Anglo notes and VB didn't show the slightest interest in clarifying matters. Even on a show he controlled (unlike the press conference) he wasn't interested in exploring facts which might undermine his fixed ideas.

VB offers very little to public debate. I would agree the format of the show is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,887 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Good loser wrote: »
    Most media pundits/interviewers and journalists shamelessly arse lick the public prejudices - they are often worse than politicians.

For instance is their any journalist consistantly pointing out the obvious fact that social welfare has to be significantly reduced?

Every single cutback that has been announced, as far as I can see, has been ruthlessly and uselessly denounced by VB.

At press conference yesterday VB was climbing steadily into anger mode - Having answered once I was most chuffed with how Klaus refused to engage and twice whispered his reply to the assistant. Game, set and match really to Klaus.

On the show last night then Karl Whelan came out with two startling comments on the Anglo notes and VB didn't show the slightest interest in clarifying matters. Even on a show he controlled (unlike the press conference) he wasn't interested in exploring facts which might undermine his fixed ideas.

VB offers very little to public debate. I would agree the format of the show is excellent.

I would be of the opinion that Klaus didn't answer because he knew that the question was appropriate and there was no answer he could give that made sense. Why are we putting ourselves in hock for unguaranteed bondholders ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Other than confirming what his audience ALREADY know, what has Browne actually achieved with his technique?
    Kenny was instrumental in the downfall of Gallagher, and exposed the lie at the heart of Norris's campaign. He did this by good audience selection and calm rational questioning and informed prosecution.
    Browne attacked McGuinness and only succeeded in bolstering his support.
    Browne is a colourful pimple on the arse of journalism in this country, that sometimes bursts in a volcano of bile and pus. But he sold journalistic effectiveness and integrity for a tatty plastic fake tanned circus act.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

pat kenny ( while a cold fish ) is the consumate professional who never allows his own politics to creep into debates

vincent browne never fails to inject his own politics into any discussion , the man is incapable of staying impartial and neutral , hardly professional

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

John Bowman is going to be on with Vincent tonight, might be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Skid wrote: »
    Great stuff, I love John Bowman, I miss him from RTE TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Skid wrote: »

Tonight must be about RTE then? Looking forward to it.

Tonight must be about RTE then? Looking forward to it.

Yeah, it's a big old RTE debate.

• Advertisement

I wonder will John Bowman be wearing his lucky tie tonight?? He never seems to appear on TV without it :D

000124560D2.jpg

books_983439t.jpg

bowman_indo_348545t.jpg

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I wonder will John Bowman be wearing his lucky tie tonight?? He never seems to appear on TV without it :D

If he does, they might need a 'strobe lighting' warning before he appears :)

No lucky tie :(

No lucky tie :(

Last minute wardrobe change, a TV3 assistant read your post and changed it just to prove he has more than one tie.

Never know JB was a Rugby Commmentator.

Gay Byrne said much the same, that RTE employed a lot of foreign employees and Irish returning ex-pats (because they needed the technical expertise). There was a lot of anti-establishment feeling in Teilifís Eireann in the early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Vinny warming to that theme now, Skid.

John Bowman would definitely be on my dream dinner party guest list.

john bowman is a true gent , is a great academic but hes just not made for tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

John Bowman would definitely be on my dream dinner party guest list.

along with me and Pearse??

irishh_bob wrote: »
    I thought he was very good on Today Tonight and Questions & Answers.

Edit: I love when he does election results programmes too.

• Advertisement

Vinny can't resist it any longer. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Looks like Vinnie has just been told by producers to stick the boot in.

along with me and Pearse??
    I'm not sure Jonny, I might put ye on the long list :D

I don't know about that, I always enjoyed his work, particularly during Elections.

Glenna Lynch is on later to review the papers, she is doing very well for herself since her Frontline appearance. I wonder is she going to pursue a career in the media. Vinny seems to have a grá for her anyway.

Glenna Lynch is on later to review the papers, she is doing very well for herself since her Frontline appearance. I wonder is she going to pursue a career in the media. Vinny seems to have a grá for her anyway.

Glenna the plumber. :pac:

I thought he was very good on Today Tonight and Questions & Answers.

Edit: I love when he does election results programmes too.

i thought he was completley devoid of charisma , hes fine on the radio where playing it straight in an academic fashion works , hes no david dimbleby

i thought he was completley devoid of charisma , hes fine on the radio where playing it straight in an academic fashion works , hes no david dimbleby
    I've meet him a few times and I would disagree.

wouldnt be surprised to see her run at the next local elections , shes a labour party member , something she denied around the time of the presidential election

she,s got all the crudentials , middle class south dublin socilist and all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,887 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Glenna the plumber. :pac:

Is she not a plasterer ? She fairly plastered Sean Gallagher.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement