Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Very strong performance from Pascal tonight.. he's a bit more confrontational than usual as well ... He's a far better performer (for FG) than Brian Hayes and Damien English..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

borrowing money to "fund services", what a p*ss take. it's to pay for bloated wages and pensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Siobhán O'Donoghue's caption read "Claiming Our Future"? Was she not with The Migrant's Council?
    She is still a Director of the Migrant Rights Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SnowY32

Here comes gilmore with the threat!!!!! FCUKING TURNCOAT

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Gilmore is a joke. "Labour's way or Frankfurt's way". Feckin eejit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Megan is entirely correct, this is no longer a banking crisis but now an EU growth issue. And unless the Eurozone receives a significant injection of capital to stimulate growth, then it seems increasingly likely that our only option is to default in order to avoid sinking deeper in debt.

Current austerity measures are not conducive to growth and serve only as an ever increasing noose around our national neck.

Could Deputy McLaughlin and his comrades not just hit the Northern Bank again, and things would be sorted..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Could Deputy McLaughlin and his comrades not just hit the Northern Bank again, and things would be sorted..
    Behave yourself Jonny, or I'll ask Pearse to call on you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

That legal guy could have been a bit clearer on the legalities involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Jess16 wrote: »
    Megan is entirely correct, this is no longer a banking crisis but now an EU growth issue. And unless the Eurozone receives a significant injection of capital to stimulate growth, then it seems increasingly likely that our only option is to default in order to avoid sinking deeper in debt.

Current austerity measures are not conducive to growth and serve only as an ever increasing noose around our national neck.

defaulting will likely result in even more austerity , at least in the short term

• Advertisement

Nah. Northern Ireland sterling ain't worth the paper it's written on. I tried to get rid of it once when I was in England. The girl in Tesco looked at me as if I'd just given her Martian money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Europe needs the likes of China et al to help raise the money EFSF need to stabilise the euro.

Even with this though, nothing so far has worked. €250m, €440m, €1 trillion. At what point do they admit it's not working?

My dad worked in the same job for nearly 40 years and came out with a pension of 5,200 p.a. Pascal, you feckin gombeen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

unreal the size of that package hes getting and the country broke make you sick

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

How in God's name is he getting a pension like that, Pascal shaking his head like he's at the front on Enda's classroom with Vincent being a bold boy down the back.

That pensions worth about 4 million...

irishh_bob wrote: »
    defaulting will likely result in even more austerity , at least in the short term

Not if it prompts a return to an autonomous currency. Relinquishing fiscal control to Europe and being subject to common interest rates that don't benefit us is more detrimental than any default.
    nummnutts wrote: »
    Europe needs the likes of China et al to help raise the money EFSF need to stabilise the euro.

Even with this though, nothing so far has worked. €250m, €440m, €1 trillion. At what point do they admit it's not working?

I think the aim might be to allow things to denigrate further in order to rid Europe of it's more parasitic members before re-establishing itself as an economically viable marketplace

I think the aim might be to allow things to denigrate further in order to rid Europe of it's more parasitic members before re-establishing itself as an economically viable marketplace

The longer this goes on, the harder that will become to achieve.

Countries such as China and India are enticing industry away from Europe with lower overheads. If the European economy keeps going in the direction it's going, Europeans won't be able to afford the products provided by these countries. It's a vicious cycle.

We're all doomed.

nummnutts wrote: »
    Countries such as China and India are enticing industry away from Europe with lower overheads.

China and India have always been more cost effective locations for industry, that isn't a recent development.This isn't about the European exports market but rather large-scale European domestic mismanagement.

Deferring to China to finance the EFSF only serves to undermine the agency itself, as well as the outsourcing of stability packages being likely to create a crisis of it's own. Europe needs to be a self-regulating enterprise in it's own right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Paschal Donohue shakes his head and says that this will be the last of the monstorous Pension Payoffs for Civil Service Fatcats.

The thing is Paschal, this man is getting the new lower pension payout. He would have got even more from the trough if he had retired a few weeks earlier.
    Mr Scanlan is retiring after next month’s deadline for staff in the public service to leave on pensions calculated on the basis of their final salary. From February 29th retiring public servants will receive a lower pension, based on career earnings.

He will therefore receive a lower lump sum and pension than other secretaries general of equivalent grade who retired under controversial terms for top-level civil servants...

“Accordingly, he will be eligible for a pension of €107,795, a lump sum of €323,385 and a severance gratuity of €107,795,”

The department said that as Mr Scanlan was retiring after February 29th, his pension, lump sum and severance would be based on his salary as reduced under financial emergency legislation introduced by the previous government.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/0125/1224310710037.html?cmpid=morning-digest&utm_source=morning-digest&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=digests

That is an obscene amount to be paying to a 55 year old man each year. We are going to be bankrupted by our Civil Service Pension bill. Nothing has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

How in God's name is he getting a pension like that, Pascal shaking his head like he's at the front on Enda's classroom with Vincent being a bold boy down the back.

That pensions worth about 4 million...

I don't think Donohoe realises that the more he appears on TV/radio, the more likely his chances of not being re-elected are.

He is like the new Manseragh, a hopeless messenger boy for the government.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Jaysus Clare get the hair out of your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Why hasn't Noonan appeared on VB yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,893 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Why hasn't Noonan appeared on VB yet!

Told too many lies.

Not if it prompts a return to an autonomous currency. Relinquishing fiscal control to Europe and being subject to common interest rates that don't benefit us is more detrimental than any default.

returning to the punt would result in mortgage interest rates jumping which would strangle hard pressed mortgage holders

a return to the punt would also increase the cost of imports

btw , im not nessceserily opposed to returning to the punt

I think Clare Daly's stylist must be on drugs.. Well at least she got one of her supporters to do the work I spose..

Clare Daly doing a Pat Rabbitt. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

is Claire a taxpayer? has she ever had a proper 9-5 job?*

*politician isn't a proper job.

if thier was a multi billion dollar prize for europes shrillest woman , ireland would be on easy street thanks to deputy clare daly

I think Stephen Donnelly is excellent (still)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

is Claire a taxpayer? has she ever had a proper 9-5 job?*

*politician isn't a proper job.

She's been with Aer Lingus for years. I don't understand the relevance of that anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement