Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I dunno.
    The frankness is refreshing.
    I'd imagine he probably went through the questions with him before he went on.

I'd say he has spoken about it many times before, but even so,fair play to him.

It is a decent show - informative for others and better than most discussions on the subject which dance around the core issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Jesus.. Vincent is pushing these questions a bit much. It's good to talk and all, but..

I think Vincent was probably asking those questions in order to try and understand something he has no experience of himself. And I think that's a very sincere way of acknowledging that man's difficulties, by addressing them rather than glossing over them with irrelevant niceties

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

One of the best programmes Vincent has done, wonderfull insight into our own minds. What a refreshingly honest way to talk about this tough subject. Well done everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Something's telling me to shut the fcuk up here... but... while I didn't see the show last night, I had a look at yer man's website which had been mentioned... Ummm... I don't believe you jump off the Golden Gate bridge to die as he says, you jump off there as a cry for help or attention... Ultimately, apart from the fact that you're landing in water and not on concrete, there is a high likelihood that you will be seen jumping and also that you will be rescued due to the ease of access to the area.

This is off-topic at this stage, but from talking with people working in hospitals who come face to face with 'attempted' suicide and suicide cases all the time, there are typically two types of people involved. The type who go to the cliffs of Moher or off into the local fields with a shotgun, and the type who takes an overdose but sends a goodbye text to all their friends at the same time so that there is a possibility of being saved (a bit like playing Russian Roulette with your life).

I'm not trying to be insensitive here or say that some people who 'try' to commit suicide are time-wasters or attention seekers, but if the issue is going to be properly addressed, then all aspects of it need to be broken down and properly discussed. Obviously I acknowledge that all people involved in attempted suicides have 'mental'/psychological/emotional difficulties etc. that need intervention. However, it is unfortunate in some respects that most of the focus tends to be on the category of people who survive an 'attempted suicide' and not the category of people who quite bluntly aren't around any more.

Rant over. To the mods, I do not mean to sound insensitive here or provoke people, I am just being frank about the subject. If this post is deemed to cause offence, then I apologise and have no problems with it being removed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

I doubt very much if jumping 275 ft into water is a cry for help. Would you like to try it in the hope it's a stunt? No, I didn't think so. However, your post is important and I personally don't find anything wrong with the subject matter.

• Advertisement

Discussing the Constitutional Referendum on Oireachtas Committees tonight.

Shame, they could have gone over the delusional ramblings of John O'Donoghue and Bertie Ahern et al on tonights TV3 documentary - hilarious viewing if you haven't seen it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Skid wrote: »
    Shame, they could have gone over the delusional ramblings of John O'Donoghue and Bertie Ahern et al on tonights TV3 documentary - hilarious viewing if you haven't seen it yet.

arrrrggggggggghhhh forgot about it... :-(

Frontline (talking about new drink driving limits) vs Vincent Browne.. what you think..

arrrrggggggggghhhh forgot about it... :-(

Frontline (talking about new drink driving limits) vs Vincent Browne.. what you think..

Well worth a look if/when TV3 stick it up, Jon, particuarly for the Bull - you almost couldn't make it up.

Just watching the Frontline now.

I'd be worried about the 'Morning after' breathalyser under these new limits.

You couldn't have a drink in the evening and drive the next morning, even though having had a nights sleep you would be much more alert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

MrThrifty wrote: »
    Something's telling me to shut the fcuk up here... but... while I didn't see the show last night, I had a look at yer man's website which had been mentioned... Ummm... I don't believe you jump off the Golden Gate bridge to die as he says, you jump off there as a cry for help or attention... Ultimately, apart from the fact that you're landing in water and not on concrete, there is a high likelihood that you will be seen jumping and also that you will be rescued due to the ease of access to the area.

This is off-topic at this stage, but from talking with people working in hospitals who come face to face with 'attempted' suicide and suicide cases all the time, there are typically two types of people involved. The type who go to the cliffs of Moher or off into the local fields with a shotgun, and the type who takes an overdose but sends a goodbye text to all their friends at the same time so that there is a possibility of being saved (a bit like playing Russian Roulette with your life).

I'm not trying to be insensitive here or say that some people who 'try' to commit suicide are time-wasters or attention seekers, but if the issue is going to be properly addressed, then all aspects of it need to be broken down and properly discussed. Obviously I acknowledge that all people involved in attempted suicides have 'mental'/psychological/emotional difficulties etc. that need intervention. However, it is unfortunate in some respects that most of the focus tends to be on the category of people who survive an 'attempted suicide' and not the category of people who quite bluntly aren't around any more.

Rant over. To the mods, I do not mean to sound insensitive here or provoke people, I am just being frank about the subject. If this post is deemed to cause offence, then I apologise and have no problems with it being removed.

If you jump off the Golden Gate bridge you'll more than likely die, hardly could be seen as a cry for attention..

This is a dark topic but one thing I will say, fu*k knows what's going through peoples minds when they're thinking of suicide, but I'd imagine the majority aren't doing it for attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,339 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

VB ignoring the presidential election again. Gotta love him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

The Abbeylara referendum sounds like it should be shelved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I'm happy to call him Brendan if that'll help :D

"Call him Brendan Howlin, that's his bloody name!" lol

One of these days, Vincent's going to have a heart attack in front of our very eyes :)

Vincent going off on one there with Pat Rabbitte, about him calling Brendan Howlin 'Minister'

"Call him Brendan Howlin, that's his bloody name"

Vincent has been quite good lately, but he needs to get over his pet-irritants. There are bigger things to worry about.

Vincent going off on one there with Pat Rabbitte, about him calling Brendan Howlin 'Minister'

"Call him Brendan Howlin, that's his bloody name"

Vincent has been quite good lately, but he needs to get over his pet-irritants. There are bigger things to worry about.

But why doesn't he just say his name!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Well worth a look if/when TV3 stick it up, Jon, particuarly for the Bull - you almost couldn't make it up.

Can't believe i missed this as well.
    Ah well, it seems to be up on the player .

Dear God, Pat's going a little too far with the DIRT enquiry love now. The whole country knows that certain individuals in this country have been given a free ride from the Revenue Commissioners for a long time and they effectively financed the inflation of property prices by doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

Vincents on one of his hobby horses tonight - Dail v. Cabinet. Rubbish imo.

Rabbitte well able for him - more nimble and much smarter.

Pat Rabbit is going to get a slap from Vincent!

This is extremely boring!

• Advertisement

Terrible story in The Star there.

Rarely seen anyone get under Vincent's skin like Pat Rabbitte did tonight.

Vinny needs to chill out a bit, you could almost see his veins pulsing there.

Rarely seen anyone get under Vincent's skin like Pat Rabbitte did tonight. Vinny needs to chill out a bit, you could almost see his veins pulsing there.

In fairness to Pat, he never lets Vincent bully him... He stands up and defends his position (which I dont always agree with).. but I appreciate he is an honest, decent man who does his best to answer questions... You dont get any bullsh1t from him, not like the sort of cynical, disingenuous bolloxogy that Michael Martin has been speaking of late..

double post.... fkn bband went down ... Better get on to the Eircom rat Jim again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Good loser wrote: »
    Vincents on one of his hobby horses tonight - Dail v. Cabinet. Rubbish imo.

Rabbitte well able for him - more nimble and much smarter.

But it's not rubbish - the power of cabinet vs weakness of the Dail is central to why Ireland is a big stinking fetid mess.

It mightn't be entertaining but it's very important.

The Abbeylara Referendum wording IMO is fatally flawed and is not in anyones interest bar the govt of the day for it to be passed.
    The more this is aired the better.

There's something attractive about Laura Noonan.. But I dont know if I could wake up to that much anger every morning..

Vincent seems to be on the brink of a episode.

I love that ladys blouse..:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Vinny asking why we are still paying ungauranteed bond holders, reminds me of the Hanafin episode.

At least Laura Noonan answered Vinny's question for the Labour guy.

• Advertisement

I was roaring that point that Laura just made at the telly... I'd love in Joe was put in charge for a day, and see would he risk the weekly payment of the lower paid public servants and people on the dole that he claims to represent, by burning the bondholders.. there's not a hope in hell that he would..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement