Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Vincent has been around a long time now and it still never ceases to amaze me how panalists (particularly politicians or aspiring politicians) go on his programme without being properly prepared and in many instances seem not to have clearly thought out positions or views.
    Everyone should know at this stage you don't throw out silly, meaningless, trite catch phrases and expect not to be savaged by VB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

is vincent standing up for the ratings agencies??!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Was Vinny checking his phone just there :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

the shinners must regulary attend media performance work shops , to a man and woman , they are uniformally excellent , have,nt seen this guy before tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

irishh_bob wrote: »
    the shinners must regulary attend media performance work shops , to a man and woman , they are uniformally excellent , have,nt seen this guy before tonight

I think that Clare FG man is getting the better of him tbh.

FG v SF could be the future of Irish Political debate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Is anyone else sick of seeing Constantin Gurdgiev on VB every 5 minutes? Nothing against the guy but he seems to be on everyting lately and the message is always the same. I found myself switching over to listen to pretentious prattle on The View instead tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

mossyc123 wrote: »
    I think that Clare FG man is getting the better of him tbh.

FG v SF could be the future of Irish Political debate!
    Michael McNamara is a Labour TD in Clare. I think his performance tonight is disappointing, this guy worked for Primetime for a while, he also worked as a Human Rights Lawyer with the UN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Using a photo of a corpse to sell newspapers is utterly deplorable

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Michael McNamara is a Labour TD in Clare. I think his performance tonight is disappointing, this guy worked for Primetime for a while, he also worked as a Human Rights Lawyer with the UN.

I have a theory that when reasonably intelligent people become public representatives for the major political parties they tend to go into 'Stepford Wife' mode for the duration of their public office.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,339 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Jess16 wrote: »
    Using a photo of a corpse to sell newspapers is utterly deplorable

Some people get so sensitive about pictures of dead bodies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

Constantin is awesome and probably correct. It appears there has been no austerity yet except on the personal taxes side.
    Croke Park must go, welfare cut and Europe must relieve us of €60 bn debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 woolywood

Does anyone know if Constantin Gurdgiev gets paid for being on the show. I just wish he would get a big whiteboard and write these figures down as I lose him after the first couple especially at this time of night.

Woolywood

Shatter is very fortunate this is coming out during this campaign.

Good loser wrote: »
    Constantin is awesome and probably correct. It appears there has been no austerity yet except on the personal taxes side.

I agree with some of what he says but he's like a broken record. He says the same stuff week after week after week - whether it's on VB or Eamon Dunphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I have a theory that when reasonably intelligent people become public representatives for the major political parties they tend to go into 'Stepford Wife' mode for the duration of their public office.
    I tend to agree, before getting elected McNamara was seen as a bit of a maverick, someone who could get things done but he appears to be turning into a lapdog. I think he will only be around for one term. Like Moosajee Bhamjee, (a former Clare Labour TD), I think Michael will be glad to return to his old profession in a few years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Vincent, when you hear the theme music playing stop asking the panel new questions.

And someone get him either a monitor on his desk, or a pair of glasses, so that he can read the papers he is supposed to be reviewing :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Taxi Drivers

Good loser wrote: »

I wouldn't be so quick to genuflect at the altar of Gurdgiev. His appearances on VinB have been picked apart from time to time. There is a very detailed knock-down here.

Tonight he completely focussed on debts and never even mentioned assets. Both household and corporate debt are declining rapidly. Household debt is down from €203 billion to €184 billion since 2008 and households have about €123 billion of cash deposits. Corporate debt is down more than €60 billion in just two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

I wouldn't be so quick to genuflect at the altar of Gurdgiev. His appearances on VinB have been picked apart from time to time. There is a very detailed knock-down here.

Tonight he completely focussed on debts and never even mentioned assets. Both household and corporate debt are declining rapidly. Household debt is down from €203 billion to €184 billion since 2008 and households have about €123 billion of cash deposits. Corporate debt is down more than €60 billion in just two years.

Well, he's certainly constant. Anyone on here any experience with that hedge fund he fronted with D Ganley some time back. I think it was called the St Columbanus, or something similarly Saints and Scholarly! I'ld say they sold every last Euro they got, if they got any, i.e..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

Thank you Taxi Drivers. You gave me quite a task there with your reference to Seamus Coffey's article. I went through it even though I didn't 'get it all'. It was impressive. I do remember some time back Joe Durkan disagreed with Constantin on some of his figures and seemed to have the better of the debate.

Constantin is consistantly pessimistic, talks in a monotone too fast and inelegantly, so that the detail he dishes out is hard to follow. He does seem to have good detail on what is happening on the international economic scene and can put the Irish case into a perspective (accurate?)

It is unfair on the viewers to put him on the VB show without an equal and opposite counterweight.

I will revise my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Yeh I remember that night.. Colm McCarthy was on the radio the next day saying that they had got it wrong..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

delaad wrote: »
    Well, he's certainly constant. Anyone on here any experience with that hedge fund he fronted with D Ganley some time back. I think it was called the St Columbanus, or something similarly Saints and Scholarly! I'ld say they sold every last Euro they got, if they got any, i.e..
    any links to this unholy alliance?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Did yer man on the right have a smoke before he came on?

God that shinner is one smug git.. spinning round on the wheely chair with his hands in his pockets , smiling like the cat that got the gelignite cream..

Nice. Vinny getting a few slaps

God that shinner is one smug git.. spinning round on the wheely chair with his hands in his pockets , smiling like the cat that got the gelignite cream..
    Vinny did a Gaybo hissy fit (though acted rather than real)

i thought the shinner held himself well

redacted, Vincent ffs... The whole issue is very reminiscent of Richard Nixon and the White House tapes...

Norris just has to publish the letters. He may be able to read out the letters in the senate and not face any libel.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He annoyed Vinny there big time

i expect a reprisal

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Vinny did a Gaybo hissy fit (though acted rather than real)

i thought the shinner held himself well

He just avoided the questions...VB is a former Northern correspondent in the 1970s and knows a lot about the North.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

The Norris scandal has certainly provided a talking point in an otherwise very bland presidential campaign

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement