Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Jess16 wrote: »
    Please get a grip yourself. Fair enough if people don't like Lucinda's personal mannerisms but comes across as toff? See, this is precisely what I mean -let's send her out to mingle with Merkel and Co. in an Arran jumper and a Kerry accent shall we -would you be happy then?

Gerry Adams has been mingling with Bill Clinton for decades wearing Arran jumpers and our foremost Merkel-mingler has a Mayo accent.

Creighton is just not a nice person and comes across as such, she carries out debates in a very childish way and usually comes off the worse for it. Nothing to do with her gender really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

So who's responsible willie ? why are limerick people electing ye ?

horrible mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

I'd love nothing more than to vote No against this Treaty but where do you people think the money to run this country is going to come from, if not Europe? Because I'd really love to know and that's a genuine question

So lets say we vote No, and then we are refused access to EU funding. Well if that happens Ireland will default on it banking debt, which will in turn cripple plenty of banks in Europe. With all the talk of contaigen throughout Europe and the fear as Irish default would bring about to the markets...the EU would be committing suicide if they did not give us Money.

BTW a Constitutional change should not be held to ransom by the threat of Politicians/Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

I'd rather Clare Daly :)
    I think its Lucinda's smug and sneering manner and not the fact that she is a female that annoys people.

That's grossly infair. She's neither smug nor sneering. She's dominating the discussion and is on top of the subject.

Catherine Murphy and Toibin are pathetic ffs. Vinnie has the usual narrow focus on his pet gripes.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭280special

With regards to Lucinda, I cant really add to the descriptions that have been made about here already, they all fit the bill pretty damned perfectly ..and for that matter a lot of her FG & Labour front bench mates !

That is of course the comments that describe her as being smug, arrogant, condescending & rude....not those of her sole supporter here, who thinks the sun, moon and stars shine every time Lucinda sneers at someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Good loser wrote: »
    That's grossly infair. She's neither smug nor sneering. She's dominating the discussion and is on top of the subject.

Catherine Murphy and Toibin are pathetic ffs. Vinnie has the usual narrow focus on his pet gripes.

Ah come on now, in fairness, she is smug and sneering, she won't be getting her seat back in 4 years time mostly due to that fact - along with good aul Leo Varadker. That's a given.

Please get a grip yourself. Fair enough if people don't like Lucinda's personal mannerisms but comes across as toff? See, this is precisely what I mean -let's send her out to mingle with Merkel and Co. in an Arran jumper and a Kerry accent shall we -would you be happy then?...

You have a problem with Arran sweater wearing Kerry people ?

and YES, most of us have a problem with rude, snobby people who use the excuse their way of going on is a "personal mannerism".

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Good loser wrote: »

Like I said earlier - there must be two Lucinda Creightons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

280special wrote: »
    I think it might be something to do with where you said;

".....but it seems to me that when it comes to women in politics, it's a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't."

That was an entirely seperate point, made in general regarding the tendency to tear down any woman capable of playing hardball in the big boys yard. Not in relation to the hostile reception of Lucinda here.
    Kurz wrote: »
    Gerry Adams has been mingling with Bill Clinton for decades wearing Arran jumpers and our foremost Merkel-mingler has a Mayo accent.

Creighton is just not a nice person and comes across as such, she carries out debates in a very childish way and usually comes off the worse for it. Nothing to do with her gender really.

I disagree, if a man spoke with such insight and intelligence, he'd be applauded. Women who do the same are 'arrogant and smug' apparently. Also, I don't think Sinn Féin representatives with the blood of so many on their hands are shining examples of the political ideal.
    So lets say we vote No, and then we are refused access to EU funding. Well if that happens Ireland will default on it banking debt, which will in turn cripple plenty of banks in Europe. With all the talk of contaigen throughout Europe and the fear as Irish default would bring about to the markets...the EU would be committing suicide if they did not give us Money.

BTW a Constitutional change should not be held to ransom by the threat of Politicians/Europe.

I admire your optimism regarding the gravitas you think our little island holds over all of mainland continental Europe. And it's not being held to ransom, we live in a democratic society hence there's a referendum being held.
    280special wrote: »
    You have a problem with Arran sweater wearing Kerry people ?

and YES, most of us have a problem with rude, snobby people who use the excuse their way of going on is a "personal mannerism".

Ironic really because I find your mannerisms more rude than most I've encountered for quite some time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I'm really surprised to read the comments regarding Lucinda here. I'd like to precede this statement by saying I'm certainly no feminist but it seems to me that when it comes to women in politics, it's a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

In this case, Lucinda is being lambasted for merely doing her job and speaking with more insight regarding European policies than most of her male contemporaries. I understand that this might upset delicate Dáil and electorate egos but there's no denying that she's a formidable representative on the international stage and for that reason, I see no cause to slate her

Get over it - it has nothing to do women in politics or feminism.

I actually think she's alright but do understand why she annoys some people.

Male politicians get lambasted on this thread every night of the week so your argument is petty. I think even Lucinda would be disappointed with you.

She really reminds me of Carrie Mathison (played by Claire Danes), the lead actress in Homeland. Her mannerisms are very similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

I admire your optimism regarding the gravitas you think our little island holds over all of mainland continental Europe. And it's not being held to ransom, we live in a democratic society hence there's a referendum being held.

Read up their on German/French exposure to Irish debt, we simple will not be allowed to fail.

And also its quite clear we are being held to ransom. You have stated your support for the Yes side by asking how we would be funded if we voted NO so clearly europe is holding us to ransom by threatening to witholding our funding if we vote No.

<Ollie> wrote: »
    Get over it - it has nothing to do women in politics or feminism.Male politicians get lambasted on this thread every night of the week so your argument is petty. I think even Lucinda would be disappointed with you.

No thank you, I won't 'get over it', I'll express my opinion as I see fit. Frankly, what you think is of no relevance to me, suffice to say that I find your points weak, unsubstantiated and serving no purpose other than flame-baiting.
    You have stated your support for the Yes side by asking how we would be funded if we voted NO so clearly europe is holding us to ransom by threatening to witholding our funding if we vote No.

I don't regard myself as suitably educated enough to reach a conclusion on casting my vote as of yet but thank you for endeavouring to make that decision for me. Asking questions is an integral part of becoming informed and is not symbolic of pledging allegiance to a particular cause

No thank you, I won't 'get over it', I'll express my opinion as I see fit. Frankly, what you think is of no relevance to me, suffice to say that I find your points weak, unsubstantiated and serving no purpose other than flame-baiting.

I don't regard myself as suitably educated enough to reach a conclusion on casting my vote as of yet but thank you for endeavouring to make that decision for me. Asking questions is an integral part of becoming informed and is not symbolic of pledging allegiance to a particular cause

Is that you Lucinda Creighton ?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Like I said earlier - there must be two Lucinda Creightons.
    Well, that's the end of my underwear, thanks.

I've seen her a couple of times recently and she's been terrible. How the FG PR knobs are letting her go is beyond me, or else they really don't give a sh!t about public opinion any more.

Fairly lightweight panel tonight.

I dunno, I always think that Peter Brown looks like a car salesman - maybe it's the hair :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,564 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Havn't seen the likes of her 4 colour Bic pen since JR was shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

It's a bit much IRBC (formerly Anglo) describing Sean Quinn's evidence as "incredible" and "fantastic"... Drumm and Fitzpatrick obviously lied through their teeth to convince Sean Quinn to make his investment in Anglo shares, and his purchases of huge amounts of CFDs...

Havn't seen the likes of her 4 colour Bic pen since JR was shot.

I had a really cool one like this..

4-color-pen.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

4-color-pen.jpg

I still have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Just watching that Garnier ad. Without sounding sexist, I would've thought Vinny's demographic would be mostly sad and bitter politically obsessed men. :pac::pac:
    Also good to see Demi Moore is over Ashton and discussing economics with Vinny. :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Contracts for Difference should be made illegal. It is gambling and nothing more, and should be treated as such.. But then again I guess that's back to your regulation or lack of it..

I still have one.

I'll give you

140.jpg

for it.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gin Fizz

4-color-pen.jpg

I had one with 4 colours on it once. I haven't seen this in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

Standards please lads standards!

Gin Fizz wrote: »
    I had one with 4 colours on it once. I haven't seen this in years.

Still available in all good stationary shops....and amazon !

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bic-4-Colour-1-0mm-802077-801867-1/dp/B0006SVBO0

Ganley's henchman reminds me of the Breffmeister :)

Who be them 4 guests?

Ganley's henchman reminds me of the Breffmeister :)

I think he's an excellent speaker... One of the better ones on this show... (so there :) )

I think he's an excellent speaker... One of the better ones on this show... (so there :) )

Similar rhetoric to all politicians pushing their own agenda really (so there :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Just finished watching the Frontline about the issue of Housing.

What are the guests like tonight on VB? Are they doing well or not? Who are they?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement