Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

mossyc123 wrote: »
    So being Religious is an innapropriate characteristic for a Presidential candidate.Quite a narrow-minded attitude tbh.

Nobody said it was an inappropriate characteristic but it's a characteristic that needs to be looked at critically when appointing a president. Like another poster already said, it's about the rationale behind it. Being religious doesn't automatically make somebody good or moral.

One could also argue that being religious in itself is narrow-minded

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

The rationality of the candidate is perfectly appropriate to discuss. If a person is religious and believes in things for which there is no evidence, then the rationality of that person comes into question.

This is why prospective American presidents get asked about their belief in creationism - it's a method of getting at their rationale.

Being Religious does not make you an irrational person.

You are aware of that I hope.

Dana is a Catholic, not a Creationist.

The Church in Rome has accepted the Theory of Evolution since 1950.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Being Religious does not make you an irrational person.

You are aware of that I hope.

Dana is a Catholic, not a Creationist.

The Church in Rome has accepted the Theory of Evolution since 1950.

That's not the only incredible feature of the Catholic teachings...the emaculate conception...I presume she believes in this.

That's not the only incredible feature of the Catholic teachings...the immaculate conception...I presume she believes in this.

It's not a feature of Catholic Teaching.

Adam & Eve is used as a parable more then anything else afaik.

As for Dana and the Immaculate Conception...you'll have to find that one out for yourself... someones own personal beliefs are something you have chosen as a link to their mental capacity and decision making processes.

It certainly hasn't affected Dana in any way as she has had a successful Music Career, a successful TV Career, was an MEP and is now a candidate for the upcoming Presidential Election.

Arguably her belief in God has given her strength and helped her to those successes.

Each to their own, no?

I personally don't think that what someone chooses to believe in is indicative of any defect in how they conduct themselves in public.

Most Religious people I know are well-educated, successful people who have got on well in society.

They certainly haven't exhibited irrationality as you have suggested.

Jess16 wrote: »
    Nobody said it was an inappropriate characteristic but it's a characteristic that needs to be looked at critically when appointing a president. Like another poster already said, it's about the rationale behind it. Being religious doesn't automatically make somebody good or moral.

True.

But follow the principles of Christian Religion (not necassarily the practices) and your well on your way.

What your saying (I think) is that Religion doesn't have a monopoly on morality.

Completely agree.

I believe that we all have an in-built morality in us (based on early man's realisation that co-operation and being "good" to each other was benificial to all)

It's not the journey that's important (how you form your own morality/decency) but the destination (being a moral/decent person).
    One could also argue that being religious in itself is narrow-minded

I see it as indicitive of an ability to be accepting of one's own background, society and traditions.

To not feel the need to constantly rail against everything and to be at peace with oneself and where you come from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It's not a feature of Catholic Teaching.

Adam & Eve is used as a parable more then anything else afaik.

As for Dana and the Immaculate Conception...you'll have to find that one out for yourself... someones own personal beliefs are something you have chosen as a link to their mental capacity and decision making processes.

It certainly hasn't affected Dana in any way as she has had a successful Music Career, a successful TV Career, was an MEP and is now a candidate for the upcoming Presidential Election.

Arguably her belief in God has given her strength and helped her to those successes.

Each to their own, no?

I personally don't think that what someone chooses to believe in is indicative of any defect in how they conduct themselves in public.

Most Religious people I know are well-educated, successful people who have got on well in society.

They certainly haven't exhibited irrationality as you have suggested.

If someone believes in something for which there is no evidence (eg a belief in a supervisory higher being, emaculate conception, having the ability to come back from the dead etc), then there has to be serious questions asked about that person's rationality.

I see it as indicitive of an ability to be accepting of one's own background, society and traditions.

To not feel the need to constantly rail against everything and to be at peace with oneself and where you come from.

Personally, I'm all for embracing one's own background and traditions but to assume somebody doesn't or isn't at peace with oneself because they aren't religious is just ludicrous

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

noel whelan got fairly snotty during the show i have to say.

LOLd at him being described as "barrister" when his name came up too.

yeah , like we forgot his connections to FF.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

He's discussing the bank bailout in 2008, what the alteratives were and how were all steeped in a big hole now because of Lenihan and Cowan...

Can only assume that he is going over this again because it's the third anniversary..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

A cadaver dissected too often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

He's discussing the bank bailout in 2008, what the alteratives were and how were all steeped in a big hole now because of Lenihan and Cowan...

Can only assume that he is going over this again because it's the third anniversary..

He has mentioned the bank bailout in almost every show for the last 3 years too :D

This is supposed to be a current affairs programme. Am tired of this discussion and can't see the relevance of it going forward

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Seems to be just another rehash of the banking guarantee tonight.
    Vinny's obsessed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Think VB is working on the theory of asking the same questions to the same individuals In the hope that they will start to invent new stories when they themselves get bored of giving the same answers.

Vinny's obsessed.

Is it Vincent or the producers though? Am curious to know how much input he has regarding the content of the show or is he largely following his boss's orders?

What's your man Ryan doing now?

Peter Matthews really annoys me with his constant (unrequested) prompting while other people are speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

By Jan 2007 imo it was already too late to head off the crisis to any significant degree - the money was lost by then.
    The quantification of the losses had/has still to be established.
    Vinnie has something on Peter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Peter Matthews really annoys me with his constant (unrequested) prompting while other people are speaking.

Correct.

Vincent's such a stickler.
    What exactly is he alluding to here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Vinny's obsessed.

At least they arnt talking about the presentational election

Sounds like VB has some Dirt on Peter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Sounds like VB has some Dirt on Peter!

yes, anyone have any ideas?

bluefinger wrote: »

He has a business selling chicken pies on the side.

Jess16 wrote: »
    This is supposed to be a current affairs programme. Am tired of this discussion and can't see the relevance of it going forward

there will be plenty of time for current affairs in the last five minutes of the programme. :)

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    He has a business selling chicken pies on the side.

thought that was his brother bernard. :)

Might this be the reason he is a backbencher?

oh stfu Matthews ye ignorant b0ll0x

thought that was his brother bernard. :)

Nooo his brother is Eamon Gilmore. They're practically twins.

Damn it I'd murder a pie right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I cant believe Ryan was given 20 mins at the start to repeat what he has said 20,0000 times over & over again. very little time for a real debate. Get the finger out Vinny:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement