Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

The French Letter

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Good woman, Justine.
    More non-answers from Pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,721 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Good woman, Justine.

Cowards and "Yes Men" ruling us.
    Justine telling it like it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭zappb

Mind numbing stuff tonight. Send all these panelists to The Diaoyu Islands please at least Pat Rabid might do some good over there mediating between China and Japan.......Time for us to all lapse into coma's....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

The state of Darragh O’Brien, he'd wanna lay of the pies. More chins than a chinese phone book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

It's bizarre how this stand-in presenter prefixes everything she says with "as a business person...". Also when she speaks to camera, she suddenly gets a Hyacinth Bucket accent.

Vinny B please come back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Good loser

Good woman, Justine.

I think Pat Rabbitte is excellent - the wisest and most articulate of the cabinet.

Justine is out of her depth.

This letter/talk of seeking judicial review is rubbish. For starters there is only a two month window in which to seek judicial reviews of ECB decisions or directives.

Good loser wrote: »
    I think Pat Rabbitte is excellent - the wisest and most articulate of the cabinet.

Justine is out of her depth.

This letter/talk of seeking judicial review is rubbish. For starters there is only a two month window in which to seek judicial reviews of ECB decisions or directives.

I'd still like to see it.
    I want to see who chickened out and didn't stand up and defend the people of this country and why they are still bailing out unsecured bondholders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

Level?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Fair play to McCarthy for bringing this up.

Im surprised Rabbitte ever manages to commit to a ****e 'well I havent seen the letter and Ive only just heard about it, and in the political situation we are in we might just be better of to keep our heads down, and wait for those clever types to tell us what to do' {minor paraphrasing}

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

I want to see who chickened out and didn't stand up and defend the people of this country and why they are still bailing out unsecured bondholders.

They already got paid off months ago now so why do people still go on about not paying off the bondholders?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Does anybody know if there is an existing thread on boards.ie regarding this letter sent last November? I cant seem to find one. Pat Rabbit might have shot himself in the foot by saying he has not heard of this letter:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They already got paid off months ago now so why do people still go on about not paying off the bondholders?
    They are more bondholders waiting in the wings.

Because there is still 5 Billion to be paid over to them according to Dara O'Brien tonight. Plus if our crowd were brow-beaten like it seems Mc Carthy thinks we can get much of it back in compensation if he wins his challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

It's a bit like having Leonid Brezhnev on Russian TV in the 1990's talking about reform. Actually, Brezhnev would've made more sense because he would've been long dead by then.

I see Brezhnev's pencilled in to present the show, next Monday night.

Should make for a fun show...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Does anybody know if there is an existing thread on boards.ie regarding this letter sent last November? I cant seem to find one. Pat Rabbit might have shot himself in the foot by saying he has not heard of this letter:eek:
    Was looking for something myself. No joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Colm Mc Carthy taking on the ECB over bailing out the unsecured bondholders which cost the Irish state billions. Fair fcuks to him.

Why did he bother going through the Bortd Snip Nua process telling them that 'you can save threence here and tuppence there' then.

Will his conversion mean that he's going to run for SF or that he wants as much attention as Jim Power.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,352 ✭✭✭✭noodler

imme wrote: »
    Why did he bother going through the Bortd Snip Nua process telling them that 'you can save threence here and tuppence there' then.

?????

So much wrong with that but lets take it one at a time.

1) Our deficit of around 18bn is not due to the banks (about 3bn in Prom Note payments to IBRC and some portion of our interest bill aside). So, austerity is still badly needed in terms of closing the gap between what we take in as a State and what we spend on Public Service.

2) The An Bord Snip Nua report was completed in summer 2009. By my calculations we had only spent 11bn on AIB,BoI and Anglo at that stage (out of a total that eventually rose to 64bn).

Because there is still 5 Billion to be paid over to them according to Dara O'Brien tonight. Plus if our crowd were brow-beaten like it seems Mc Carthy thinks we can get much of it back in compensation if he wins his challenge.

The unguaranteed sunsecured would make up a relatively small proportion of the 64bn I believe.

I am also pretty sure there is a bit less than 5bn in senior bonds left (which are unsecured and unguaranteed).

I think legal action against the ECB (whether or not it is a good idea) would be primarily to highlight our case across Europe. The majority of European have no idea in relative terms what our bank bailout has cost us and since any alleviation of the bank debt (as signalled by the June 29th summit) has to come from their pockets - there may need to be a PR campaign on the issue.

noodler wrote: »
    The unguaranteed sunsecured would make up a relatively small proportion of the 64bn I believe.

I am also pretty sure there is a bit less than 5bn in senior bonds left (which are unsecured and unguaranteed).

I think legal action against the ECB (whether or not it is a good idea) would be primarily to highlight our case across Europe. The majority of European have no idea in relative terms what our bank bailout has cost us and since any alleviation of the bank debt (as signalled by the June 29th summit) has to come from their pockets - there may need to be a PR campaign on the issue.

It's a pity then that they are leaving it to an individual and haven't so far taken it up with other European leaders in the European Parliament where they would surely get the publicity required.

• Advertisement

It's a pity then that they are leaving it to an individual and haven't so far taken it up with other European leaders in the European Parliament where they would surely get the publicity required.

I am certain it has been brought up at MEP level numerous times.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=mep+ireland+bank+debt&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CEUQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.newstalk.ie%2F2012%2Fnews%2Fmep-says-government-should-threaten-not-to-pay-bank-debt%2F&ei=4CU2UPnOL8y7hAfvsYCoDA&usg=AFQjCNFw9GXtsNfW-PrJ4zch5qe-meFlaA

and I am 100% sure there are more if I google them.

I fully udnerstand why the Government can't be shouting across the room on the issue though.

Whilst we are on the issue of what we think we can achieve (as the host last night asked McCarthy etc), obviously the full 64bn stuff is pie in the sky for various reasons:

1) As McCarthy pointed out we aren't the only ones to bailout their banks (many countries have)

2) We have got a couple of billions in guarantee fees from the banks since 2009, we also got dividends from AIB/BoI and got a billion more for selling our share in BoI to foreign owners.

3) We have to take some of the responsibility.

What I would like is for the promissory note to disappear. (its less than 30bn now) as it would mean we wouldn;t have to spend 3bn every year and also because Anglo/INBS won't be sticking around. There is always going to be more of a case for us saving IL&P/AIB/EBS/BoI since they are the 'real' banking system with the majority of Irish consumers deposits/ATMs/branches etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Our 3 failed school teachers usuually hide behind the curtains when they are in the same room as the other European leaders..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

washman3 wrote: »
    Our 3 failed school teachers usuually hide behind the curtains when they are in the same room as the other European leaders..;)

I'd say thats true alright.They are a bunch of cowards:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

washman3 wrote: »

That might explain a little.

It's interesting reading Michael Lewis's (of Vanity Fair fame) book Meltdown about the Irish approach during the bank crisis.

According to his sources at the IMF, the Irish contingent were making the European case and not the Irish one, which prompted one of the IMF officials to make the remark that the Irish negotiators were exhibiting signs of suffering from Stockholm Syndrome.

That letter referred to last night might make more sense in that context...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

I really, really hate to say this, but, if Haughey or even Ahern were at these meetings there would have been a different outcome.

I'm just going to wash my mouth out now with carbolic soap....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

gerryo777 wrote: »
    I really, really hate to say this, but, if Haughey or even Ahern were at these meetings there would have been a different outcome.

I'm just going to wash my mouth out now with carbolic soap....

Yea there would be a wad of notes in their back pockets & we poor fools would be stuck with an evern bigger bill :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Who was the woman at the start of the programme?

It is not Norah Casey by any means.

*EDIT - Thanks Derval Mac Donald.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Callan57 wrote: »
    Yea there would be a wad of notes in their back pockets & we poor fools would be stuck with an evern bigger bill :mad:

Dunno, whatever about ahern, I couldn't see Charlie getting his hair ruffled and being treated like a naughty schoolboy by Sarkozy like Kenny was.

The poster who mentioned Stockholm syndrome has it right.

We need to be more assertive and stand up for ourselves.

Rolling over and playing dead hasn't got us much.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Who was the woman at the start of the programme?

It is not Norah Casey by any means.

*EDIT - Thanks Derval Mac Donald.
    She is Dearbhail McDonald, she is a journalist with the Irish Independent. She looks so different with blonde hair.

Here is how she used to look :eek:

dearbhailmcdonald_162181t.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

MrsD007 wrote: »
    She is Dearbhail McDonald, she is a journalist with the Irish Independent. She looks so different with blonde hair.

Here is how she used to look :eek:

dearbhailmcdonald_162181t.jpg

In your opinion, is she a good presenter?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement