Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He is really going for him

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

Cant ask Norris more Directly than that. And Norris still wont answer

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Don't know about the rest of you but I suspect Tubridy is crying right now or watching madmen so he can't "comment" about tonights show

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

Who won so??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

The debate actually showrd more flaws than strengths in the candidates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I certainly wouldn't expect her to do the job for nothing but lots of people work hard in their jobs for far less pay but they don't feel entitled to make a big deal about it because it's not a charity. Just because she happens to work for a charity doesn't mean that she can flash it across her CV as if she's Mother Theresa - not if she gets €150,000 a year for it.
    She is making a big deal about the Special Olympics because the hosting of the World Games (which she was involved in) in 2003 was one of the biggest events ever to be hosted in Ireland. I can see why she wants to highlight this, it was the high point of her career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I wonder does McGuiness regret not meeting the Queen during the Summer?

It clouds his claims that he is a Unifying presence on this Island, when he was still outside the gate when almost all others had come inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

miketv wrote: »
    Don't know about the rest of you but I suspect Tubridy is crying right now or watching madmen so he can't "comment" about tonights show

Tubbers is probably overdosing on jelly babies as we speak. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭cafecreme

miketv wrote: »

:D that really showed what a lightweight Tubridy is for all his pretensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭louth87

decies wrote: »
    Who won so??

Vincent Browne!!!! :D

• Advertisement

Vincent was electric tonight.

They should have counsellors in Ballymount tonight to comfort the candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

My over riding impression after watching that, Browne made Tubridy look like crap. Nearly fell asleep watching Friday night's fair. While there was a fair amount of ****e spouted tonight, at least it wasn't sleepy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

decies wrote: »
    Who won so??

Vinny

Skid wrote: »
    Vincent was electric tonight.

They should have counsellors in Ballymount tonight to comfort the candidates.
    Bring on Jeremy Kyle :D:D:D He could put the lie detector to great use tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Here's Vinny signing the aforementioned petition.....
    311759_10150316887577747_318973847746_8037729_846020571_n.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Perhaps it was simply the nature of having so many candidates in the election, but that was a noisy, unprofessional farce of a "debate". Both sides of the table should feel red in the cheeks after that. Pathetic behavior all round.

We all know what to expect from Vinny B in terms of his line of questioning - certainly each candidate got asked the things we expected Vinnie to ask - but his ability to actually chair the discussion, steer it into something that the audience could watch, absorb & then finally make an informed decision on was utterly absent. We were served 1.5 hours of shouting and squabbling that actually made me embarrassed by our politics. It's one thing to ask the barbed, awkward questions, but you still have to make sure the show runs smoothly.

I think this show will have done more harm than good because honestly - why would you vote for any of them after them behaving in this manner? Only doddery old D. Higgins came out of that with any kind of dignity or decorum. Sure his past does make his fine words just that - words - but he didn't participate in the shameful jousting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

MrsD007 wrote: »
    She is making a big deal about the Special Olympics because the hosting of the World Games (which she was involved in) in 2003 was one of the biggest events ever to be hosted in Ireland. I can see why she wants to highlight this, it was the high point of her career.

It looks she's gotten plenty of mileage out of her involvement in bringing the Special Olympics to Ireland in 2003. Afterwards she was appointed to the Council of State, appointed to the board of the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland the Dublin Airport Authority, the Bank of Ireland Mortgage Bank etc. etc. That's a nice little earner.

It looks she's gotten plenty of mileage out of her involvement in bringing the Special Olympics to Ireland in 2003. Afterwards she was appointed to the Council of State, appointed to the board of the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland the Dublin Airport Authority, the Bank of Ireland Mortgage Bank etc. etc. That's a nice little earner.
    I don't like the woman and I certainly won't be voting for her but I can see why she is highlighting her involvement in the Special Olympics, I'd do exactly the same if I was in her shoes. If she mentioned her involvement on BOI and DAA boards that would make her a toxic candidate.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Bring on Jeremy Kyle :D:D:D He could put the lie detector to great use tonight.

Brilliant!

You should contact Vincent with that idea, a Lie Detector about the only thing he didn't have at his disposal tonight. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

pixelburp wrote: »
    We were served 1.5 hours of shouting and squabbling that actually made me embarrassed by our politics. It's one thing to ask the barbed, awkward questions, but you still have to make sure the show runs smoothly

Constantly butting in would have only made things more fragmented, as well as interrupting the flow of conversation. The objective was to see how the candidates could operate off their own bat.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    I think this show will have done more harm than good because honestly - why would you vote for any of them after them behaving in this manner? Only doddery old D. Higgins came out of that with any kind of dignity or decorum. Sure his past does make his fine words just that - words - but he didn't participate in the shameful jousting.

I think it was vital to see how the candidates could respond in a non-scripted format. If anything, delivering a professional oratory is one of the most important roles for a President to be competent in. Tonight gave us necessary insight into their ability in that regard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

cjmcork wrote: »
    this is my genuine fear of President Dana, if we vote to allow abortion I'd be worried that she'd refuse to do whatever the president needs to do to sign the act into law, maybe that's a lack of information on my part though.......am open to contradiction

As others have said this would generate a constitutional crisis, but one which would be resolved as follows:

1.) Dana Receives Bill for Assent (e.g. An Act to hold a referendum to amend (i.e. delete) Article 40.3.3. - The right to life of the unborn)
    2.) Dana convenes council of state at first, they tell her that a bill to hold a referendum could not be held to be unconstitutional. She ignores them.
    3. She kicks it to the Supreme Court under Article 26.
    4. Supreme Court exercises judicial function, tells us the obvious.
    5. Bill returns for assent. Dana must grant assent. If not, go to one of the following:

a.) Refuses to sign and resigns. Presidential Commission (Chief Justice, Ceann Comhairle of the Dail and Cathaoirleach of the Seanad) grants assent to the bill in the interregnum as they are empowered to do.
    b.) Refuses to sign, does not resign.

In the case of b.) she could reasonably be impeached by the Oireachtas under Article 12 of the Constitution for attempting to exceed her powers.

Long and short of it is that she couldn't do jack **** but that she'd seriously damage the credibility of the office in the process.

As it is, she clearly isn't aware of Art. 29.4.10 either ...
    No provision of this Constitution invalidates laws enacted, acts done or measures adopted by the State which are necessitated by the obligations of membership of the European Union or of the Communities, or prevents laws enacted, acts done or measures adopted by the European Union or by the Communities or by institutions thereof, or by bodies competent under the Treaties establishing the Communities, from having the force of law in the State.

In one fell swoop there goes Dana, who will guard against a 'European Constitution' which has been dead since 2005 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I thought it was sly from Norris to mention that VB signed the petition - it doesn't mean he supported Norris.

Without a doubt, Dana came out the worst, closely followed by Norris.

Who's on tonight? If Terry Prone is on she has to admit who she's training.

There's "something of the night" about Mitchell.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jess16 wrote: »
    Constantly butting in would have only made things more fragmented, as well as interrupting the flow of conversation. The objective was to see how the candidates could operate off their own bat.
    There's a happy medium to be had though all the same; and Vinny should have been cute enough to realise that if he was going to get his victims hot and bothered with pointed questions, he had to keep them from cannibalising each other. They weren't going to attack VB when pushed, so all they could do was attack each other.

Jess16 wrote: »
    I think it was vital to see how the candidates could respond in a non-scripted format. If anything, delivering a professional oratory is one of the most important roles for a President to be competent in. Tonight gave us necessary insight into their ability in that regard

I didn't get the sense this was what VB was chasing; nor do I believe those watching the show would be scoring their cards based on this factor.

Plautus wrote: »
    As others have said this would generate a constitutional crisis, but one which would be resolved as follows ...

Thanks for that Plautus,

Very useful infromation, and something she should be confronted with before the campaign is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

Skid wrote: »
    Thanks for that Plautus,

Very useful infromation, and something she should be confronted with before the campaign is over.

Should caution that I'm not a constitutional lawyer, but that this is my best reading of it. Article 12.10.1-7 in particular:
    1° The President may be impeached for stated misbehaviour.
    2° The charge shall be preferred by either of the Houses
    of the Oireachtas, subject to and in accordance with the
    provisions of this section.
    3° A proposal to either House of the Oireachtas to
    prefer a charge against the President under this section
    shall not be entertained unless upon a notice of motion
    in writing signed by not less than thirty members of that
    House.
    4° No such proposal shall be adopted by either of the
    Houses of the Oireachtas save upon a resolution of that
    House supported by not less than two-thirds of the total
    membership thereof.
    5° When a charge has been preferred by either House
    of the Oireachtas, the other House shall investigate the
    charge, or cause the charge to be investigated.
    6° The President shall have the right to appear and to
    be represented at the investigation of the charge.
    7° If, as a result of the investigation, a resolution be
    passed supported by not less than two-thirds of the
    total membership of the House of the Oireachtas by
    which the charge was investigated, or caused to be
    investigated, declaring that the charge preferred against
    the President has been sustained and that the
    misbehaviour, the subject of the charge, was such as to
    render him unfit to continue in office, such resolution
    shall operate to remove the President from his office.

Misbehaviour is rather broad, but defying the advice of the Taoiseach and/or the Supreme Court, under which all power conferred on the President must be exercised, would definitely bring the office into disrepute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

After that performance the only one who has any credibility left appears to be Dana. Here she is in 1970 - the past is truly a foreign country. :D

I wonder what Colleran will say about Gay Mitchell. Colleran is a roaring Fine Gael Supporter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Ursula Halligan looks like she was crying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I thought it was sly from Norris to mention that VB signed the petition - it doesn't mean he supported Norris.

Without a doubt, Dana came out the worst, closely followed by Norris.

Who's on tonight? If Terry Prone is on she has to admit who she's training.

There's "something of the night" about Mitchell.

She's not on so must be training Mitchell - BADLY

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Colleran - really bad analysis there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement