Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

The Mitchell love in on the panel is pathetic , he is a dreadful candidate who loses votes every time he speaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

niallers1 wrote: »
    I've just put 50 euro on him..
    On who???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

niallers1 wrote: »
    I've just put 50 euro on him..

Fair play, If he wins I will humbly admit my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Skid wrote: »
    He has support, certainly

but do you really think he is over 30%, and that all the polls carried out, using proper quantitative statistical methods, which out him at 11% are completely wrong?

If you do, you should get down to Paddy Power where you can get 6/1 on McGuinness winning the Election.

These type of votes will never be 100% accurate, but if someone is that well ahead, then they are a serious contender at least.

Some people won't admit for voting McGuinness either, because of the traditional complex about being for SF down South.

Who cares about Paddy Power? They are just bookmakers.

Marie Louise - Ger isn't a Mayo man, he is from Clare (unfortunately).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Vincent has a serious soft spot for Marie Louise :)

Some people won't admit for voting McGuinness either, because of the traditional complex about being for SF down South.
    I agree completely with you Steelcityblues, I think he is going to be in the reckoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

MrsD007 wrote: »

It can't be that as the headline said he was claiming disability for 16 years whilst that condition was diagnosed 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

So just to get in on this whole EU Constitution issue, which has been poo-pooed by many (prob because Dana is making it an issue). However aside from that let me just point out that it took someone go to the supreme court to get us the ability to vote on EU treaties as far as the political elite are concerned this voting business is just a loop hole in the constitution. (Raymond Crotty, btw). One reason why Kenny doesn't want any changes to Lisbon.

And Mary-Louise suggesting at the end that it was Xenophobic or at least trying to suggest that being sovereign and independent is Xenophobic is just pure bull****, are we to consider that Tone or Parnell or Childers where Xenophobic?

Oh and I suppose I should Say hello again, I have being avoiding the new thread.

I agree completely with you Steelcityblues, I think he is going to be in the reckoning.

Only thing that could scupper MMcG is the transfers. Could be leading after the first count, but then be overtaken by someone else. The likes of Louth, Cavan, Donegal, and a few Dublin constituencies he will come out first, I think.

Depends on the remaining media performances of himself, and the other serious contenders.

• Advertisement

I was very disappointed that Vinny didn't ask Mary Davis about Denis O'Brien. I felt that she was very uncomfortable on the LLS when Tub raised the issue. Vinny should have had another go.

Only thing that could scupper MMcG is the transfers.
    He might pick up transfers from Dana and David Norris supporters.

He might pick up transfers from Dana and David Norris supporters.

Dana? Would that be for anti-EU reasons?

Dana? Would that be for anti-EU reasons?
    A few things really - protest type vote and both are Northerners. I also feel that a large chunk of Senior Citizens who have traditionally voted FF, will be inclined to vote for McGuinness this time around.

Mitchell to get most 1st preferences followed by Higgins. Dana, Mary III and your man from Dragon's Den rule out after round 1. Round 2 sees Norris and McGuinness Exit. And like 1990 Higgins get past the post due to their transfers.

Just don't look into the camera Mitchell, advice from Brian Lehinan Sr.

A few things really - protest type vote and both are Northerners. I also feel that a large chunk of Senior Citizens who have traditionally voted FF, will be inclined to vote for McGuinness this time around.

Interesting. I would have been inclined to think that older voters in general would stick rigidly to their FG/FF/LAB type voting patterns, and anyone over 50 would be unlikely to give McGuinness a first pref. Most of those before 'gen X', at least.

If you are right, then it certainly will be a defining, radical, election in the country's history.

Interesting. I would have been inclined to think that older voters in general would stick rigidly to their FG/FF/LAB type voting patterns, and anyone over 50 would be unlikely to give McGuinness a first pref.

If you are right, then it certainly will be a defining, radical, election in the country's history.

I would say most older FF voters will split between Dana, Mary Davis and Your Man off Dragon's Den (He should prob get that on the ballot paper just for them). Or they may just go with Higgins.

I think it is funny that being a blue shirt is alright with The Star Editor. Too late to look up peoples names.

The reason Mitchell might top the poll in terms of 1st preferences is because of McGuinness and the staunch FG voter dislike of SF and FF. Then it is down to transfers and Its likely that those that give McGuinness a 1st preference will give Higgins No. 2 due to their staunch dislike of FG.

Interesting. I would have been inclined to think that older voters in general would stick rigidly to their FG/FF/LAB type voting patterns, and anyone over 50 would be unlikely to give McGuinness a first pref.

Yes, that is very true but there is no FF candidate so I reckon that older FF voters would prefer to vote for McGuinness than to vote for a FG or LAB candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

nummnutts wrote: »
    Are they for real? The Star says Gay Mitchell?

That's fúcking hilarious. Colleran really should think about getting into comedy.

Ahh, he's a cock.

You really think Mitchell has no chance of winning? I think he has a decent chance.

I reckon outside of Dublin, Mitchell holds very little appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Don't trust Mitchell one bit

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

Elmo wrote: »
    So just to get in on this whole EU Constitution issue, which has been poo-pooed by many (prob because Dana is making it an issue). However aside from that let me just point out that it took someone go to the supreme court to get us the ability to vote on EU treaties as far as the political elite are concerned this voting business is just a loop hole in the constitution. (Raymond Crotty, btw). One reason why Kenny doesn't want any changes to Lisbon.

And Mary-Louise suggesting at the end that it was Xenophobic or at least trying to suggest that being sovereign and independent is Xenophobic is just pure bull****, are we to consider that Tone or Parnell or Childers where Xenophobic?

Oh and I suppose I should Say hello again, I have being avoiding the new thread.

People are poo-pooing it because she's referring to the European Constitutional Treaty of 2004 which died a death during the ratification process in 2005. Dana is living in some alternate universe where this document is an item of European Law. It is not. No matter how many times she thumps her copy of it. Might as well be arguing against the Free State Constitution of 1922 for all the relevance this has. If she's referring to The Lisbon Treaty, better to refer to that. At least that would be an operative body of law.

As for Crotty v. An Taoiseach [1987], that was a mixed judgement for Crotty. He had also argued in that case that the Dail had no power to diminish its own competence (i.e. power to legislate) and delegate or devolve that power (such as to the European institutions.) The court disagreed and threw out that portion of the appeal. Where they did agree with Crotty was on the issue of substantial alterations to the working of European institutions (mentioned in 29.4.10) requiring ratification by popular referendum.

However, it is arguable just how much The Single European Act (the 1987 treaty which provoked Crotty's case) itself represented major alterations in the operation of the European jurisdiction.

In the event, every government since has hedged its bets by putting the matter to referendum even though certain treaties (such as Amsterdam in 1997) arguably did not represent changes so drastic that they required ratification by referendum. It would require a further test case to see precisely where the line is. Governments enter into international treaties which constrain their action and impose obligations upon them all the time without referendum (e.g. The Cluster Munitions Convention, etc.)

---

But! Long story short: Dana's scope for action is quite clearly circumscribed by 29.4.10. She knows (okay, that might be too generous) this. She can't do anything. At this stage it's purest pipe-dream stuff on her part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Jess16 wrote: »
    Fianna Fáil took money, Sinn Féin took lives -would you rather be stolen from or slaughtered?

You seem to have a very simplistic view of what happened in the North when McGuinness was in the IRA.

It wasn't like it was now, that's for sure. Catholics didn't have the rights they have today.
    It was an armed struggle, both sides committed atrocities.
    The Queen's army has more blood on their hands than McGuinness but going by the media in this country, they seem to want to paint McGuinness as the devil. I'd love to see him win it to shove it down the throats of the likes of Brown and Mitchell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

304748_287620617917088_100000074563529_1173856_1402528896_n.jpg

also the blue set is much better then the usual chromakey set, looked far more professional then most night. yes i know its the midweek set.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

I reckon outside of Dublin, Mitchell holds very little appeal.

Don't think he has any appeal in Dublin either, maybe with the older generations thats it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

ColeTrain wrote: »
    You seem to have a very simplistic view of what happened in the North when McGuinness was in the IRA.

It wasn't like it was now, that's for sure. Catholics didn't have the rights they have today.
    It was an armed struggle, both sides committed atrocities.
    The Queen's army has more blood on their hands than McGuinness but going by the media in this country, they seem to want to paint McGuinness as the devil. I'd love to see him win it to shove it down the throats of the likes of Brown and Mitchell.

You also seem to have a simplistic view of 'the troubles' and I wonder if you're old enough to actually remember them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Don't think he has any appeal in Dublin either, maybe with the older generations thats it

yeah not keen on him either. he is what i would call a 'safe' candidate , i would prefer to see mcguinness win but i'd say people are very reluctant to dismiss his past. didnt see the debate last night, i heard david norris didn't do well. the latest controversy with norris is that he was supposedly claiming disability allowance while being a senator a one stage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭Storm 10

McGuinnes won because all of the twitters were Sinn Feinn, same as the Joe Duffy show recently in a text poll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

You also seem to have a simplistic view of 'the troubles' and I wonder if you're old enough to actually remember them?

When you're trying to sum it up in a paragraph it does seem that way. Still, it's a a paragraph more than you've written.

I can't have an opinion because of my age? I'm 99, would love MMCG to win so I can receive €100 off him with a lovely letter that I'll frame.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement