Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 36 tim_sims

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That's because pensioners don't forget to vote, which goes back to my original point.

students will back pensioners but will you see pensioners have students back , like hell they do

politicans know all too well that the majority of people are redicolously sentimental when it comes to the elderly , they like to subscribe to the fiction that they are all poverty stricken , listen to any vox pop on budget day , inevitable someone on the street will list off the various goverment targets and pensioners will be included , this despite the fact that they have never been touched this past four austerity budgets , its the default possition of people to assume that pensioners are being attacked by goverment

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

tim_sims wrote: »
    many of the people at those medical card protests were people in their thirties , worried that their inheritance was going to be spent on pills and doctor bills for mammy and daddy

Or maybe it was because of the fact that the "people in their thirties" were concerned about the fact that their elderly parents were having sleepless nights worrying about the fact that their medical cards would be taken away from them, and seeing their parents ultimately having to pay through the nose for GP visits and spiralling medication costs??

I bet you've yet to find yourself in a situation where you might find an elderly parent having to worry about that. You'll probably think differently when you experience something like that.

students will back pensioners

Don't make me laugh! Give me one scintilla of proof of where this has happened? :rolleyes:

Or maybe it was because of the fact that the "people in their thirties" were concerned about the fact that their elderly parents were having sleepless nights worrying about the fact that their medical cards would be taken away from them, and seeing their parents ultimately having to pay through the nose for GP visits and spiralling medication costs??

I bet you've yet to find yourself in a situation where you might find an elderly parent having to worry about that. You'll probably think differently when you experience something like that.

my widowed mother is 64 , she thinks pensioners are incredibly selfish and believes that ireland is no place for the young

besides , its not just pensioners , young qualified teachers are unable to get permanent work due to the fact that retired teachers ( on hefty pensions ) are being rehired as subs

as for worrying about medical costs , if someone has the price of going to the doctor , you cant give them extra just because they irrationally believe they wont have enough , life aint that rosy

like i said already , we can no longer afford to keep paying tribute to pensioners to the extent we do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

poor pensioners were not going to lose their medical card.

well off pensioners who had money and could afford to pay were going to lose their medical card.

• Advertisement

Don't make me laugh! Give me one scintilla of proof of where this has happened? :rolleyes:

thee old memory isnt great is it , check out those youtube videos from 2008 when pensioners marched , the students happened to be marching around the same time , thier are clips of hordes of students protesting alongside the elderly

everyone has the pensioners back , its one the reasons why politicans have absolute cover to indulge them , they have absolutley nothing to gain by cutting them , the disabled , no bother , their numbers are so small that no TD ever lost his or her seat by ignoring them

green123 wrote: »

well off pensioners who had money and could afford to pay were going to lose their medical card.

is this country so rich that it can afford to provide a couple over seventy with a combined income of 72 k per year with a medical card

jill kirby has been asking this very question all year

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

its not just pensioners , young qualified teachers are unable to get permanent work due to the fact that retired teachers ( on hefty pensions ) are being rehired as subs
    I think we are finally getting to the root of your issues with older people!

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I think we are finally getting to the root of your issues with older people!

you presume too much and besides , are you happy with that reality , retired teachers being prioritised for substitute possitions

you presume too much
    I'd say I'm pretty close to the truth ;)

• Advertisement

I'd say I'm pretty close to the truth ;)

as a charechter in a tv show when i was a kid used to say

" believe it , if ya like "

you presume too much and besides , are you happy with that reality , retired teachers being prioritised for substitute possitions
    No, it is wrong but I suspect that your crusade against all pensioners stems from this issue.

my widowed mother is 64 , she thinks pensioners are incredibly selfish and believes that ireland is no place for the young

besides , its not just pensioners , young qualified teachers are unable to get permanent work due to the fact that retired teachers ( on hefty pensions ) are being rehired as subs

as for worrying about medical costs , if someone has the price of going to the doctor , you cant give them extra just because they irrationally believe they wont have enough , life aint that rosy

like i said already , we can no longer afford to keep paying tribute to pensioners to the extent we do

I reckon your mother probably has plenty of dosh in the bank to keep her going. Easy to make pronouncements when one is comfortably well off oneself.
    Oh yeah, good luck with finding a teaching job soon. Just don't shove that massive chip on your shoulder on to the majority of elderly people in this country who have worked hard for the weekly state pension they deserve to get.

No, it is wrong but I suspect that your crusade against all pensioners stems from this issue.

and you presumptions would be incorrect but sure if it makes you happy ( smug ) , knock yourself out as the americans say

and you presumptions would be incorrect but sure if it makes you happy ( smug ) , knock yourself out as the americans say
    I'm getting bored now, so I'm out!

Goodnight :)

I reckon your mother probably has plenty of dosh in the bank to keep her going. Easy to make pronouncements when one is comfortably well off oneself.
    Oh yeah, good luck with finding a teaching job soon. Just don't shove that massive chip on your shoulder on to the majority of elderly people in this country who have worked hard for the weekly state pension they deserve to get.

so do you think those who are now entitled to a medical card , have no money in the bank , ive yet to meet a couple earning 72 k per year who only had savings in a piggy bank , to be earning that kind of money while retired would suggest they were signifincant earners in thier younger years , like i said earlier , its not the goverments job to maintain wealth for anyone

I'm getting bored now, so I'm out!

Goodnight :)

thank you for your invaluable insights

thank you for your invaluable insights
    You're very welcome ;)

so do you think those who are now entitled to a medical card , have no money in the bank , ive yet to meet a couple earning 72 k per year who only had savings in a piggy bank , to be earning that kind of money while retired would suggest they were signifincant earners in thier younger years , like i said earlier , its not the goverments job to maintain wealth for anyone

Get real! I've never once mentioned any couple who earn a combined income of 72k pa. Read back on my posts and quote me properly if you're going to put words in my mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Come back to me when:
    You've halved the number of Quangos.
    Brought in a 75% tax on pensions over 1000 euro per week.
    Cut the "Scribbling Pharisee" section of the PS by at least 30%.
    Made the PS pay the full cost of their pensions out of their current wages.
    Till then keep your sticky hands off the 230 euro per week contributary old age pension.

Come back to me when:
    Till then keep your sticky hands off the 230 euro per week contributary old age pension.
    The post of the evening !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Come back to me when:

I agree with you, but that's kinda the problem with Ireland.

You can make cuts, but just not cuts that affect me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

And across the Croke Park agreement as well presumably?

I thought it was obvious that I was referring specifically to Department of Social Protection cuts. My point was that it is unfair that pensioners receive a significantly higher rate of payment than the unemployed or incapacitated. And if the old age pension wasn't exempt from cuts, perhaps the cuts to unemployment, disability and invalidity payments could have been less severe.

RayM wrote: »
    I thought it was obvious that I was referring specifically to Department of Social Protection cuts. My point was that it is unfair that pensioners receive a significantly higher rate of payment than the unemployed or incapacitated. And if the old age pension wasn't exempt from cuts, perhaps the cuts to unemployment, disability and invalidity payments could have been less severe.

And it is my point that if we all didn't have to be bled like sacrificial lambs on the alter of the Croke Park Agreement none of the cuts you list would be necessary!
    At worst they would be greatly mitigated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

green123 wrote: »

Correct.
    "It will mean a saving of about €100m by removing full medical cards from around the top one-third of people."
    "Approximately 94 out of every 100 will get a medical card, a doctor's card or the €400 grant"

http://www.herald.ie/news/budget/lenihan-under-fire-over-medical-scheme-but-hes-not-budging-1500135.html

It was to stop the automatic entitlement of all over 70's irrespective of income, to a full medical card.

Tim sims is also correct to say anyone who even mentions fairness in relation to OAPs gets mighty short shrift in this country - it is totally illogical and annoys the fck out of me!

And yes, there are lots of hungry, greedy 'children' not wanting their future pots of gold to be 'wasted' on such things as medication and care.

If you have the money, pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Come back to me when:

When did he/she say anything about cutting the pension?

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    When did he/she say anything about cutting the pension?

Define "paying tribute"?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

every worker in the country could strike everyday for the next six months and it wouldnt change the fact that we are running a high deficit , seriously , it might make you feel good but vincent browne ( and clare dalys ) idea that hanging seanie fitz and taxing no one bar , politicans , denis o brien and the guy who carries his umbrella , would solve everything its a pipe dream

the property boom is over and with it the revenues it generated , wellfare and wages are still disproportionatley high to the level of income the country is earning , its only fair that all age groups make sacrafices

we simply cannot afford to keep paying tribute to ( the alledged ) greatest ever generation

You wouldn't think we were running a high deficit or even a deficit to see the big silly grin on Phil Hogan's face while sipping an expensive wine/champers in Doha with his dolly-bird.
    High deficit me a***.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Come back to me when:

Cut the "Scribbling Pharisee" section of the PS by at least 30%!!!!!

But who would post on boards defending the household/property tax then...........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement