Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Jaysus, is there anybody on this planet who is more self-righteous than Ivana Bacik? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I don't like Ivana, but at least like Clare Daly they have stood fast to their views which is a liberal abortion agenda.
    Edna on the other hand has turned maybe not 360 but definitely alot and by not allowing a free vote is a spineless person.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What Brady did was wrong 30 years ago however it doesnt mean what he is saying is wrong. I attended a doctor for years who smoked alot, he advised me to stop smoking as this could eventually kill me. A bit rich i thought coming from him. However essentially what he was saying was correct.

There is a big difference in the two in fairness.
    What Cardinal Brady did in Dundalk was scandalous, making the Boland lad sign/take a vow of secrecy. Then he did not prevent Brendan Smyth from continuing to offend against children despite his promises to young Boland.
    Cardinal Brady should have resigned if he had any decency but he didn't and continued to blame others.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

How come the only people who are given airtime on this subject are the extremists... Can all reasonable people not just agree that :
    a) if a baby is dead in the mother's womb, then a DNC should be permitted and b) if a pregnant mother's life in danger, then the doctor should be able to do whatever is necessary to save her life. (I thought this was covered under the hippocratic oath anyway?)....

A referendum could get both of these through easily... Any other hard cases (such as potentially suicidal mother) could be addressed/debated etc AFTER making changes to take care of the situations above...

But what's the Irish solution .. Give airtimes to whackjobs like Father Tom, Ivana Bacik, Breda O'Brien, Ronán Mullen etc etc who really dont represent that the views of many people..
    So are you in the same camp as John Guirk? (i.e he disagrees with abortion in the case of rape).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

Jesus lads.. Whats going on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

How come the only people who are given airtime on this subject are the extremists...

These four people are not extremists. Look at some of the pro-life and pro-choice stuff in the US and you will see extremism. The second priest from the left is prime candidate for a silly 'controversial' statement. He is not at ease on this panel. Frontline is tamer and would suit him better.

Jaysus, is there anybody on this planet who is more self-righteous than Ivana Bacik Bad chick? :rolleyes:

F.Y.P ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 240 ✭✭Nervous Nigel

Ivana Bacik is one of the most annoying people in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭mix_up

Jaysus, is there anybody on this planet who is more self-righteous than Ivana Bacik? :rolleyes:

you can get away with alot if you slap a feminist logo on it

she began her contribution tonite by refering to the fact that their were no women representing any of the various faiths today

yawn

Vinnie is becoming increasingly rude with his panelists, if he keeps this up he will struggle to get people to appear on the show :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Thomas Aquinas.
    Jaysus, i think i might go to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

MrsD007 wrote: »
    So are you in the same camp as John Guirk? (i.e he disagrees with abortion in the case of rape).

Well that's a tough one isnt it? ... I dont think there's any right in that situation... Cos it's probably not right to force the woman to go to full term with the child, but it's probably not right to kill the child either... So I dont pontificate (:D) to anybody about that scenario..

There is a big difference in the two in fairness.
    What Cardinal Brady did in Dundalk was scandalous, making the Boland lad sign/take a vow of secrecy. Then he did not prevent Brendan Smyth from continuing to offend against children despite his promises to young Boland.
    Cardinal Brady should have resigned if he had any decency but he didn't and continued to blame others.

Agreed he should have resigned, however it still does not mean what he is saying is wrong no matter what he did 30 years ago.

Vinnie is becoming increasingly rude with his panelists, if he keeps this up he will struggle to get people to appear on the show :mad:

He must have had a very bad Christmas. He's like a bulldog with a wasp in his mouth since he came back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

The two bloody priests I'd imagine.

Its time that the catholic church's influence was completely ignored, we shouldn't have laws dictated by people who think an imaginary friend in the sky has told them what to do.

Father Tom makes Father Jack seem lucid... :pac:

Father Tom makes Father Jack seem lucid... :pac:

"WOMENS KNICKERS!"

Agreed he should have resigned, however it still does not mean what he is saying is wrong no matter what he did 30 years ago.
    Agreed but he should not be in a position to say it with so much authority.

Its time that the catholic church's influence was completely ignored, we shouldn't have laws dictated by people who think an imaginary friend in the sky has told them what to do.

We live in a democracy. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Whether it will be taken on board is another matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Is anybody else looking at this crowd and thinking 'jeremy kyle' show. If this is the best we could put forward as debators, we're in a bad way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Well 85% plus of the population belongs to that church according to the last census. So they do influence/represent the vast majority of the population. Every section of society got to submit their opinion today, RC, CoI, Methodist, Jewish and atheist.

I am not RC before you ask.

Like it or hate it but the catholic church still has a mandate. Over 84% of people in the Republic of Ireland described themselves as Catholics in the April 2011 census.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0330/1224314101049.html

Good to hear he's laughing it off... That sort of thing (twice) could knock your confidence... he should go on the LLS tomorrow night. Would be a bit of a laugh...

Arrgghhh... one of the audio filters on my TV has just failed... :(

Pretty cowardly judgement by the three judges... "She was an exceptional person"... yeah, and they are leaving her to suffer... Save your mealy mouthed words if your not gonna help her..

Agreed but he should not be in a position to say it with so much authority.

Agreed again, him coming out with that definitely did not do anti choice campaign any good.

To someone like myself this issue should not be anything to do with religion.

Good to hear he's laughing it off... That sort of thing (twice) could knock your confidence... he should go on the LLS tomorrow night. Would be a bit of a laugh...
    I completely agree with you JA :eek:

There seems to be a lot of goodwill out there for Aengus, he seems like a nice guy and he's good at this job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Some Euthanasia discussion to follow a heated Abortion debate.

Heavy going tonight :(

Like it or hate it but the catholic church still has a mandate. Over 84% of people in the Republic of Ireland described themselves as Catholics in the April 2011 census.

I'd wager that most people say that they are catholics because their parents were catholics and that they were indoctrinated in catholic schools (which until recently most working and lower-middle class people had no choice but to go to) and they haven't really put much thought into whether they actually believe what the churches preach or not.

Essentially they are catholics by dint of apathy rather than anything else. Church attendance is far less than 84%, most people under 60 only go to churches for weddings, funerals and other social occasions. And when it comes to issues like contraception then most irish catholics are very a la carte.

I bet Deirdre O'Shaughnessy is really glad she made that journey all the way to Dublin for a 30 second conversation :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I'd wager that most people say that they are catholics because their parents were catholics and that they were indoctrinated in catholic schools (which until recently most working and lower-middle class people had no choice but to go to) and they haven't really put much thought into whether they actually believe what the churches preach or not.

Essentially they are catholics by dint of apathy rather than anything else. Church attendance is far less than 84%, most people under 60 only go to churches for weddings, funerals and other social occasions. And when it comes to issues like contraception then most irish catholics are very a la carte.
    They still decided to the tick the 'Catholic' box on the Census form though ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement