Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

What was wrong with what he said here?

Simplistic, no? Badly informed? Mary Fitzgerald was on the same panel and described what he said as "dangerous"... My argument would be more that he should no longer be given a platform to air his views....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

What was wrong with what he said here?

That's an argument for another thread, really..
    Many would say it's retardedly simplistic, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

What was Vincent alluding to there, a big story on NAMA or Quinn?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

Simplistic, no? Badly informed? Mary Fitzgerald was on the same panel and described what he said as "dangerous"...

I'll go with politically and historically illiterate.

ascanbe wrote: »
    'advising' the last government in the run-up to the 'blanket-bank guarantee' which, of course, guaranteed that his ilk made out like bandits.

You'd wanna hear what Dunphy said about Goldman Sachs last Sunday.. I dont know how he gets away with it without being sued.... (Jim Power is on that program btw).. it's worth a listen... It's funny that Dunphy prides himself on "not allowing wafflers" in the studio, and there he is last weekend with Jim Power and Ger Colleran sitting across from him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

You'd wanna hear what Dunphy said about Goldman Sachs last Sunday.. I dont know how he gets away with it without being sued.... (Jim Power is on that program btw).. it's worth a listen... It's funny that Dunphy prides himself on "not allowing wafflers" in the studio, and there he is last weekend with Jim Power and Ger Colleran sitting across from him.

was it anti israeli ?

Skid wrote: »

Curious about that as well... He had already mentioned the story about Quinn, so I'm assuming that it's a separate story about NAMA... I'm betting that whatever the story is, the taxpayer loses..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Even worse , he had Taft on one week.

It's about the Quinn family being involved in a transaction, allegedly, where 100 million, i think, worth of assets, were sold by one sector of the family to another for the price of 1000 euro and a computer, so as to but it beyond reach of those they owe untold amounts of money to, i.e. Anglo-Irish bank, i.e. the Irish state.
    The link to the story is up on a thread in AH.

irishh_bob wrote: »
    was it anti israeli ?

No it was a different track, bob... He actually said that "Goldman Sachs helped Greece to cook the books" so that they could join the Euro... And he called them "spivs" as well..

• Advertisement

@ascanbe
    That, and apparently the director of NAMA operations in Northern Ireland has resigned.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15265018

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Yeah, you'd expect that of RTE.
    But this is TV3; why do they have him on?
    And, seen as they do, why doesn't Browne hammer him on his record?

Ya, im confused. he's on every fcuking station, tv AND radio.
    Has been challenged a few times on his record, defends it by saying he was under immense pressure from his employer to "say the right things" at the time. One of Ireland's all-time greatest spoofers.
    Heard he gives motivational speeches as well.!! imagine that.:confused::confused:

irishh_bob wrote: »
    was it anti israeli ?

Is that a go at a Dunphy or are you seriously suggesting that anyone let us say 'dubious' about the practices of Goldman Sachs must be motivated by being 'anti-Israeli'?
    If it's the latter, what do these two things have to do with one another?
    Do you think that Goldman Sachs only affects Israel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

washman3 wrote: »
    Ya, im confused. he's on every fcuking station, tv AND radio.
    Has been challenged a few times on his record, defends it by saying he was under immense pressure from his employer to "say the right things" at the time. One of Ireland's all-time greatest spoofers.
    Heard he gives motivational speeches as well.!! imagine that.:confused::confused:
    Nice but dim Jim.

washman3 wrote: »
    Has been challenged a few times on his record, defends it by saying he was under immense pressure from his employer to "say the right things" at the time.

I've never heard him say that he was under pressure from his employer to be honest.. this may well be the truth... but he still works for Friends First, and they havent fired him for his incompetence, so I'm guessing their loyalty is reciprocated...

This is the excuse that he normally gives... (some journalist had a go at him in one of the papers, and this was his defence)..

Also, Jim seems to be the ONLY person that Vincent doesn't incessantly pester about his previous inaccuracies...

An economist who 'doesn't have the time' (!) to look at the solvency of the banking sector ... in a service-driven, and mortgage-leveraged, capitalist economy. It'd make your jaw drop. And he makes it sound like he just forgot to carry the 2!

I've never heard him say that he was under pressure from his employer to be honest.. this may well be the truth... but he still works for Friends First, and they havent fired him for his incompetence, so I'm guessing their loyalty is reciprocated...

This is the excuse that he normally gives... (some journalist had a go at him in one of the papers, and this was his defence)..

Also, Jim seems to be the ONLY person that Vincent doesn't incessantly pester about his previous inaccuracies...

So he's actually admitting that all ever did was parrot whatever the regulator of the Irish banks said? He didn't bother doing any work of his own?
    And he absolves himself by saying that it turns out the source he chose to parrot didn't have a clue what was going on?
    Which begs the question: if he was simply parroting what the regulator said why did any media source ever have him on?
    Which further begs the question: if he's admitting that, not only was he wrong, he was wrong because all he did was parrot what someone else who was wrong happened to say, why would any media source think he was worth listening to now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

It's about the Quinn family being involved in a transaction, allegedly, where 100 million, i think, worth of assets, were sold by one sector of the family to another for the price of 1000 euro and a computer, so as to but it beyond reach of those they owe untold amounts of money to, i.e. Anglo-Irish bank, i.e. the Irish state.
    The link to the story is up on a thread in AH.

VB had already read this out as a newspaper headline for tomorrow; the Quinn story was on the news earlier anyway.

It seemed to me he was referring to an additional Nama scoop/scandal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

No it was a different track, bob... He actually said that "Goldman Sachs helped Greece to cook the books" so that they could join the Euro... And he called them "spivs" as well..

everyone knows that , he aint the 1st to have said that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

STFU and tell us what it is!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Niamh Lyons would be on my dream VB Babes panel:)

Corsendonk wrote: »

I hear they are bringing a Vinny Browne Calendar... Niamh Lyons, Miss January... Áine Kerr, Miss April... Sarah McInerney, Miss June.... Clare Daly is getting all of Winter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Niamh hasn't a clue what she's talking about

Corsendonk wrote: »

Sarah McInerney
    Laura Noonan
    Niamh Lyons
    Margaret E Ward

and Cassie at the end for some NAMA analysis

:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Sarah McInerney
    Laura Noonan
    Niamh Lyons
    Margaret E Ward

and Cassie at the end for some NAMA analysis

:):):)

Vincent is gonna have to contrive some discussion where all the above have expertise. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Am trying to watch this online and it's not working, feel silly cos I wanna know the Dana stuff so much :\

Jess16 wrote: »
    Am trying to watch this online and it's not working, feel silly cos I wanna know the Dana stuff so much :\

The Panel haven't a clue what Dana was on about (or if they do they are not saying)

Jess16 wrote: »

Dont worry, if the story is released, I'll let you know.. We're still waiting on the front pages of the newspapers to arrive..

Amateur hour again, passing the Newspapers around in front of the shot.

Take a commercial break and do it then - What does the Director do on this show?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

"you're distracting me swinging things about there" she got a durty mind:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement