Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

It's interesting to watch how FF react to the vilification of one of theirs, all the while trying to maintain he's independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

bluefinger wrote: »
    don't know if it's been discussed much here but aside from the obvious scandal what did people think of Sean's elementary mistake when refusing to discuss the referenda on the basis that he would be required to sign them into law. has been underplayed imo.

i don't see a problem with it. every election and referendum is a secret vote and it's his own business. as long as it wouldn't interfere with him signing something into law that he doesn't personally agree with.
    i'll use a crap example here, but in the 2008 US presidential election, someone asked sarah palin who she voted for in the booth, and she refused to answer. it's her own business at the end of the day (although she probably hit the wrong button anyway!)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Nolls14

I think it will be close. Michael D to sneak it by about 4 percentage points. I shall be Paddy Powering this tomorrow:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

He's probably got more of a beef with Ivana Bacik, a person who couldn't even win a Dail seat off the back of being Gilmore's running mate last February. Every time I see that woman, she drives me mad. She has no popular mandate from the ordinary people of this country yet she thinks she can still impose her views on us. The sooner the Senate is shut down, the better.

I thought Vinny was far enough to the left to like both. Shows what I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

vinny is treating his new guest like pat kenny with gay mitchell, skipping her when asking panel questions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

True. But literally everyone seems to be baffled at this fabular 40% for Gallagher. Unless it's closet FFers, which it could be.

I suspect they understate Martin McGuinness a bit (Closet Sinn Fein supporters) but other than that, the reputable polling companies have been almost spot on for the last few elections.

There is a 'Middle-Ireland' constituency which has flocked to Gallagher, for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I thoght Vinny was far enough to the left to like both. Shows what I know!
    This controversy with Sean Gallagher reminds me of the Royston Brady affair back in 2004 but poor Royston was wronged on that occasion.

He's probably got more of a beef with Ivana Bacik, a person who couldn't even win a Dail seat off the back of being Gilmore's running mate last February. Every time I see that woman, she drives me mad. She has no popular mandate from the ordinary people of this country yet she thinks she can still impose her views on us. The sooner the Senate is shut down, the better.

And she is back in Labour again, having ran for the Seanad as an Independent.

She changes affiliation and Constituencies at a whim - pure opportunist who the general public have always seen through.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Bacik's problem is that she's very intelligent and would be a great TD. She's not very good at being a people person. I don't particularly like her, but I think she'd be a fantastic TD.

I also think, shallow as it is, and I wish it weren't the case, that if she got some orthodontic work done she'd have been far more likely to be elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Skid wrote: »
    I suspect they understate Martin McGuinness a bit (Closet Sinn Fein supporters) but other than that, the reputable polling companies have been almost spot on for the last few elections.

There is a 'Middle-Ireland' constituency which has flocked to Gallagher, for some reason.

I clearly knock about with a right bunch of weirdos, judging by those figures :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I don't want to say anything disparaging about those people, but...

No, I do. They're idiots and I honestly wish they weren't allowed to vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

once again, no objectivity in the media.. Bacik allowed to go on at length about Michael D without any representation on behalf of the other candidates..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Because like his Fianna Fáil associates, he's been quite adept at maintaining a facade in which to deceive people. Anyone with a modicum of cop on will no longer offer their vote to someone of such a dubious nature

once again, no objectivity in the media.. Bacik allowed to go on at length about Michael D without any representation on behalf of the other candidates..
    Well Sean Gallagher was invited on but declined the offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

RayM wrote: »
    I don't want to say anything disparaging about those people, but...

No, I do. They're idiots and I honestly wish they weren't allowed to vote.

you should hear what they call people like you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

i don't see a problem with it. every election and referendum is a secret vote and it's his own business. as long as it wouldn't interfere with him signing something into law that he doesn't personally agree with.
    i'll use a crap example here, but in the 2008 US presidential election, someone asked sarah palin who she voted for in the booth, and she refused to answer. it's her own business at the end of the day (although she probably hit the wrong button anyway!)

i've no problem with a candidate not wishing to share the information about what they were voting, i was more making the point that he refused to comment based on the fact that he mistakenly thought he would have to sign it into law, which as md higgins rightly said last night, demonstrated a fundamental misunderstanding of the presidents role and the constitution. I know it's not as sexy as the envelope revelations but just would be almost more concerned that Sean is trying to get elected to a post that he has no understaning of. just saying..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I think there's a big softness in the poll figures for the presidency, partly because a lot of people probaby didn't take a huge interest in the campaign.

There's a closet Dana vote as well, I don't think she will get as low as 2 or 3%.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

Amazing. The FF flute on VB doesn't even understand what constitutes corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

When Ivana puts on her offended face she looks like a blow-up doll that's been left behind the radiator

Jess16 wrote: »
    Because like his Fianna Fáil associates, he's been quite adept at maintaining a facade in which to deceive people. Anyone with a modicum of cop on will no longer offer their vote to someone of such a dubious nature

That is the problem, though. Not enough people have any Cop on.

Too many people are looking at this vote like it was X Factor "Ah he seems nice, I don't mind him, I'll give him a vote"

• Advertisement

There's a closet Dana vote as well, I don't think she will get as low as 2 or 3%.
    Yeah, I reckon she will get some of the "blue rinse" vote.

I also think, shallow as it is, and I wish it weren't the case, that if she got some orthodontic work done she'd have been far more likely to be elected.

nothing can save her now. my screen keeps freezing every now and again. if you saw what i just saw you'd understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Nolls14

I cant think of anything offhand - VB

Nicely deadpanned Vinny.

bluefinger wrote: »
    i've no problem with a candidate not wishing to share the information about what they were voting, i was more making the point that he refused to comment based on the fact that he mistakenly thought he would have to sign it into law, which as md higgins rightly said last night, demonstrated a fundamental misunderstanding of the presidents role and the constitution. I know it's not as sexy as the envelope revelations but just would be almost more concerned that Sean is trying to get elected to a post that he has no understaning of. just saying..

oh yeah i get you now. as in once it's passed in a referendum, it's set in stone and he can't refuse to sign it anyway. good point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Yeah Vinny, all the poltical parties saw nothing wrong in 2007, any who claim they were did are liars.

I am tempted to report Vincent to the Mods - he has gone way off topic here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Yeah, I reckon she will get some of the "blue rinse" vote.

West and N west high % also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

Bacik's problem is that she's very intelligent and would be a great TD. She's not very good at being a people person. I don't particularly like her, but I think she'd be a fantastic TD

A TD is essentially a spokesperson for their constituents -interpersonal skills, likeability and the capacity to relate to people are what gets people elected and a very important aspect of the job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

Ivana stop you asking me those questions Vincent ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

VB very clever in making Gallagher look like a chicken. Love it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement