Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

That was very good, best ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

vinny is indeed quite mad , the sketch was fitting

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i love it when vincent looks like he's about to burst himself laughing at the sketches. it took him some time to warm to them in fairness.

hugh ormonde brought up again!!

it's like blaming the bank that said 'ah sure you may as well up your income there so you'll definitely get the loan', the type of shenanigans they were at for a few years back.

the annoying thing is that goldman sachs are still operating advising governments and peter sutherland is still giving his unwanted opinion on austerity measures while he still draws down his ministerial pension.

on another note, vinny was hilarious trying to figure out who brian ormonde is. a galaxy of stars out in rte indeed!

sutherland has a personal fortune in excess of 70 million , hes a man who clearly likes his steak but still

irishh_bob wrote: »
    sutherland has a personal fortune in excess of 70 million , hes a man who clearly likes his steak but still

you'd swear he'd miss the pension the way he held on to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

Who is this Hugh Ormonde? He seems to be the default name when Vinnie or one of his guests forget someones name. Really strange.

Mario sketch was v good tonight after two below par efforts previously. Got tickets to his show. Wonder how he is going to do the Vinnie sketches if it' a one man show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

irishh_bob wrote: »

It truly is sickening that a man who purports to be giving Ireland good advice by suggesting that "we can only get out of this crisis by increasing austerity measures" while at the same time he pulls a huge pension from the state to pour on top of his money mountain...

One measure the Government should introduce immediately is that any WORKING ex public servant does NOT get a pension... You are either working or you are not working (and thus entitled to a pension).... Also, it is absolutely ridiculous that the state is paying pensions to people like Sutherland / McCreevy / Ahern when they are all earning multiples of the average the industrial wage... Their payments should at the very least be means tested, as they would be for someone at the lower end of the scale..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

It truly is sickening that a man who purports to be giving Ireland good advice by suggesting that "we can only get out of this crisis by increasing austerity measures" while at the same time he pulls a huge pension from the state to pour on top of his money mountain...

One measure the Government should introduce immediately is that any WORKING ex public servant does NOT get a pension... You are either working or you are not working (and thus entitled to a pension).... Also, it is absolutely ridiculous that the state is paying pensions to people like Sutherland / McCreevy / Ahern when they are all earning multiples of the average the industrial wage... Their payments should at the very least be means tested, as they would be for someone at the lower end of the scale..

I doubt Mr Sutherland would see himself in the same bracket as those other two "johnny-jump-ups".

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

Sudsy might like to think that about himself, but it still galls that he's getting payouts for services rendered as Attorney General back in the 1980s. He went onto bigger things very quickly - GATT (later WTO) and now the banking sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Loved the way Vincenzo said,,"we have a Greek here",sounded somehow like your granfather bragging to a visitor to the village that we have a black living here.

• Advertisement

w-man-with-shovel.jpg

Evening everyone.. Apparently the Greek PM has been handed an ultimatum.. Vinny also discussing the 750M paid out to Anglo bondholders today.. :(:(:(

Who the **** do they think they are, piss of you Frog and Merkel, who gives them the right to tell another state to tell them what to do.
    The sooner the E.U falls apart the better.

One race i hate is them French frogs, Greece vote no please, Papandreou should of never went to Cannes, let the french frogs and Germans piss off.

Not sure why they have two representatives of the left on tonight to discuss these issues.. Sinn Fein dont know much about economics and Joan Collins know absolutely nothing about it... put on the record now... "this government have paid off speculators and gamblers.. etc etc"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

One race i hate is them French frogs, Greece vote no please, Papandreou should of never went to Cannes, let the french frogs and Germans piss off.
    Yeah and take ye're loans with ye......wait a minute...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Joan Collins seems Vinny new favourite far leftie these days. Boyd Barrett and Jim Higgins seem out of favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

I know he's SF but everytime i've heard Pearse speak he makes complete sense.

That's enough of the casual racism now JONJO.

As it happens, if Greece votes no, that's it for them. It would be very difficult to release capital to them and there would be no good will amongst the ECB, IMF or a sovereign country to extend such a line of credit either. Nevermind that it would be ludicrous with no broader financial mechanisms ensuring the money is repaid.

We can disagree about the way it's being done, but the injection of money into the Greek financial market is where it's at. They could default, but the cascade effect might knock down Italy (and remember Italy is too big to be saved), or in a best case scenario France and Germany will still need to do their own bail-outs.

It's unpredictable how Ireland fares in all this, but you can safely say it won't help if the EU's biggest bankrollers have to divert money to fighting their own fires.

KerranJast wrote: »
    Yeah and take ye're loans with ye......wait a minute...

Our loans are with the I.M.F, look the French frogs and Germans think they can tell the rest of us what to do, its a Europe of equals and fair play for the Greeks to tell Europe piss off.
    The sooner all this falls apart the better, the Greeks have the right to do what they want and vote what way they want, its a petty our Cowards in goverment cant do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Why is everyone blaming Merkel and Sarkozy? Theyre only doing what their populace want. That's true democracy.

• Advertisement

No one will ever say that about Joan Collins.

Not sure why they have two representatives of the left on tonight to discuss these issues.. Sinn Fein dont know much about economics and Joan Collins know absolutely nothing about it... put on the record now... "this government have paid off speculators and gamblers.. etc etc"

vinny's going through her for a short cut now. if that was joan burton this would be a serious dose of haranguing.

(haranguing doesn't have a red line underneath while i type! it's a real word!)

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Joan Collins seems Vinny new favourite far leftie these days. Boyd Barrett and Jim Higgins seem out of favour.

Vincent always has a proxy on the panel regardless of the topic

Our loans are with the I.M.F, look the French frogs and Germans think they can tell the rest of us what to do, its a Europe of equals and fair play for the Greeks to tell Europe piss off.
    The sooner all this falls apart the better, the Greeks have the right to do what they want and vote what way they want, its a petty our Cowards in goverment cant do the same.

1/3rd of the recapitalisation money is from the IMF. 2/3rds is ECB cash.

The sooner this falls apart, the sooner we fall apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Yeah, the guest list is a little disappointing recently.

Has the novelty gone out of it for some guests? He tends to talk to one or two panellists mainly and only let the others get a token word in.

KerranJast wrote: »
    Why is everyone blaming Merkel and Sarkozy? Theyre only doing what their populace want. That's true democracy.

why should they be upset if the greek population vote no and they get to keep the loans?

I have a lot of respect for Pearse but he always comes on with the same opinion.... We should throw caution to the wind... Dont pay back the bondholders and assume that Europe will still be prepared to fund us (when they have made this one of the conditions of our bailout)....

And I fully believe that if Sinn Féin were in Government, they would NOT default on said bondholders... they would do exactly what FG are doing, because a large section of their support (lower paid public servants, people on the dole, people availing of public services) would be first in the firing line if ECB/EU/IMF withdrew the bailout money...

McNamara could be another Conor Lenihan or Paul Gogarty, seems to have a fuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i just love it when vinny goes off on one !

facepalming at what the lab lad is saying :)

• Advertisement

Plautus wrote: »
    1/3rd of the recapitalisation money is from the IMF. 2/3rds is ECB cash.

The sooner this falls apart, the sooner we fall apart.

Not true, we might have a rough 2 years but will rebound, anyway it doesn't make any difference, it will be all over in a few months when the Greek people tell the E.U to piss off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement