Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I dont understand their point about lack of educational opportunities ... Education is free in this country (albeit they have to pay for uniforms/books), They dont have to pay rent, and they are entitled to social welfare and children's allowance... It's up to the parents to make sure the kids go to school..

Certainly there is discrimination at third level and with the government subsidies for private secondary schools (which I think ARE ridiculous).. but no more than there is for low earning "settled" people..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

And most of them drive a newer vehicle than I do, yet are claiming social welfare...

you're better than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭terrlobe

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Anecdotal evidence is it?

yeah, but no more anecdotal than the sob stories that we are getting right now...
    what about the scientific levels of discrimination results? higher than that experienced by blacks and latinos in America... Ireland's shame. This will hit international headlines and negatively impact on our tourism

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Jess16

The Travelling Community is no different to any other large group, in the way that some of its members are decent and others simply aren't

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Christ he's going to talk to more of them, I've no sympathy for the tinkers, nothing but trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

Thats its, time to turn this crap off.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

@Jess16 Well, that'd be my attitude. If you behave recklessly in a pub or hotel or shop your membership of the traveller community is secondary. Your being a lout is rather more important.

Unfortunately, I don't think many people do make that distinction. Treat all members of a group without exception like **** and you'll get it back. No, that doesn't mean I tolerate premises being wrecked by members of the travelling community.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭xi

Are they complaining about the rubbish they dumped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Amber Lamps

Has Vincent Brown just turned into Joe Duffy before my eyes :confused:

When did they start using the word "Years"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

How many else of ye have had that thought with the mother/daughter?:o

royaler83 wrote: »
    Christ he's going to talk to more of them, I've no sympathy for the tinkers, nothing but trouble

Some are trouble (big trouble, even), yes. Not all of them though. Can you see the problem with generalising so much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭terrlobe

I dont understand their point about lack of educational opportunities ... Education is free in this country (albeit they have to pay for uniforms/books), They dont have to pay rent, and they are entitled to social welfare and children's allowance... It's up to the parents to make sure the kids go to school..

Certainly there is discrimination at third level and with the government subsidies for private secondary schools (which I think ARE ridiculous).. but no more than there is for low earning "settled" people..
    You're a bit thick! Lack of access is the reason for higher mortality rates, and fivefold suicide, as well as high levels of illiteracy etc. These things mate don't happen by chance as you are suggesting. How can an average traveller kid compete with his settled counterpart if he lives with his extended family in a cold ****ty caravan at the side of the road. They should have fully kitted out halting sites provided by the council like similar services provided by your average town council.... rubbish removal services, showers with hotwater, shops, pubs, community halls etc to reflect their dignity as Irish citizens with a unique cultural identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I've just had to turn it off ..utter tripe.
    More entitlement nonsense. The council won't give us this or that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

They use the swimmimg pool for showers!!!!!! I also notice, they want everything, the word "want" and "entitled" is popular. They are "given" everything yet they want their own identity. The only identity they have, is that they are given everything. My opinion of them is, they're trouble, they're dirty, they're never ever prepared to say they're responsible for anything.

terrlobe wrote: »
    what about the scientific levels of discrimination results? higher than that experienced by blacks and latinos in America... Ireland's shame. This will hit international headlines and negatively impact on our tourism

i have to agree with the result all this comes to. i've had a few different americans abroad bring it up to me. just turned into cases of 'you would of have to of been there'. always looks bad with minorities in the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Clean up yer own ****ing halting site.

lol vicents been licked drunk by the silver tongue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

vinny is giving the hated middle class a right progressive right thinking caning

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Plautus wrote: »
    Some are trouble (big trouble, even), yes. Not all of them though. Can you see the problem with generalising so much?

I can only speak from my own experiences. Theft, tipping rubbish, intimidating elderly people etc

• Advertisement

Vinny said Knacker :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

They should have fully kitted out halting sites provided by the council like similar services provided by your average town council.... rubbish removal services, showers with hotwater, shops, pubs, community halls etc to reflect their dignity as Irish citizens with a unique cultural identity.

If they didn't get it during the Celtic Tiger years, they sure as hell ain't gonna get it now.

I remember seeing a news report a few years ago about Galway Council building a halting site for them, with hot running water and showers but within a few months it had been completely vandalised - pipes ripped out of the walls etc.

Some of the comments that Vincent is reading out there ARE disgustingly bigoted. Saying the traveller community has certain responsibilities is not the same as the 'dirty knackers' stuff that is rife.
    I can only speak from my own experiences. Theft, tipping rubbish, intimidating elderly people etc

And how do those cases, some travellers, get you to the conclusion that all 'tinkers' are 'nothing but trouble'?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭fatalll

Vinny should live near them for a few months...then watch his opinion change

this is the mindset of the wooly liberal do gooder idealogue , if you fall into a particular victim group , anything wrong or illegal you ever did can be explained away by victimisation and prejudice at the hands of middle ireland and not only are you ( the liberal sacred cow ) not responsible for your own bad behaviour , the hated middle class are the ones who are responsible to ensure that you get what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭bada-bing

saying the council should clean up their mess and rubish is simply ludicrous in my opinion! the local council dont go around clearing up the back gardens in my estate.. thed dont even mow the green, the residents council do that.. these halting sites have been given to the travelling community so why dont they have a bit of pride and clean the place up? i cannot believe he said the council ought to go in and deal with that

You're a bit thick! Lack of access is the reason for higher mortality rates, and fivefold suicide, as well as high levels of illiteracy etc. These things mate don't happen by chance as you are suggesting. How can an average traveller kid compete with his settled counterpart if he lives with his extended family in a cold ****ty caravan at the side of the road. They should have fully kitted out halting sites provided by the council like similar services provided by your average town council.... rubbish removal services, showers with hotwater, shops, pubs, community halls etc to reflect their dignity as Irish citizens with a unique cultural identity.

dont forget an international airport complete with special terminals for flying hiace vans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

You're a bit thick! Lack of access is the reason for higher mortality rates, and fivefold suicide, as well as high levels of illiteracy etc.

And apparently I'm not the only one who's thick... I never mentioned anything about the link with mortality rates.. my point was that the education IS THERE for them to avail of ... The parents just need to be responsible and make sure the kids go to school ... same as any other parents do...
    They should have fully kitted out halting sites provided by the council like similar services provided by your average town council

They were "kitted out" with a halting site out the back of Naas, and it was stripped of the copper, littered and then deserted.... They have the right to join the housing list same as any other citizens.

tbh, Vincent is out of touch on this issue, and is being exploited by Pavey Point... It's pretty obvious he's never had to deal with the Travelling community when the cameras were not there..

@irish_bobb

Who is behaving like that caricature of a 'woolly liberal ideologue'? None of the people Vincent interviewed had criminal records, to my knowledge :/ There's a difference between explaining the genesis of violence and excusing it. If anyone, nevermind a traveller, engages in thuggery then they must face the full weight of the law. And I like to think I'm coming here from the mainstream liberal milieu!

'Flying Hiace Vans' is a bit uncalled for.

• Advertisement

Councils clean up middle class areas?

I put my rubbish in a bin and pay to have it collected in my middle class area.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement