Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

terrlobe wrote: »
    You're a bit thick! Lack of access is the reason for higher mortality rates, and fivefold suicide, as well as high levels of illiteracy etc. These things mate don't happen by chance as you are suggesting. How can an average traveller kid compete with his settled counterpart if he lives with his extended family in a cold ****ty caravan at the side of the road. They should have fully kitted out halting sites provided by the council like similar services provided by your average town council.... rubbish removal services, showers with hotwater, shops, pubs, community halls etc to reflect their dignity as Irish citizens with a unique cultural identity.

This is sense . Most of the other posts are embarrassingly racist .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Vinny has a quare sense of timing if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭xi

Vinny has a quare sense of timing if nothing else.

Juxtapose if with and.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Vincent makes a token allusion to criminality in the Travelling community, then proceeds to spend the rest of the show allowing Pavey Point to push their agenda.... They take everything from the State and give nothing back... And most of them drive a newer vehicle than I do, yet are claiming social welfare...

I would love just once for Vincent to do a show covering the "other side" of Traveller behaviour... i.e. criminality, unwillingness to work or pay tax or contribute anything to society, illegal littering / parking / trespassing, general troublemaking..

Talk about stereotyping. What is this nonsense based on?

The point of programmes like this is to highlight what travellers are really like and not what the stereotype is. Perhaps you should open your mind just a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Surprised Vinny didn't give us the Fingal Council case history on that site. Biased journalism at its best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dkmedia

If the travellers were willing to pay for the electricity/waste removal etc. then I don't think anyone would have a crib, what annoys me is the mentality that all the services should be provided at the expense of the taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

The local council dont clean our town, we all clean outside our houses and businesses, when someone does dump illegally the council take it away and try to find and procecute those that did it.

we pay for our refuse to be collected and we tidy up around our house so that my children dont live in squalor. we take responsibility to send our children to school every day, so that they will have every opportunity in their future.

i would like to live in the south of france, but i cant so i live where i can, id like to live closer to some friends but i cant so i make do with what i have.

you cant dump your rubbish outside the door and then complain about the squalid conditions.

you cant keep your children at home and then complain that they are poorly educated.

you cant have all your problems solved for you, you have to sort some of them out yourself !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

dkmedia wrote: »
    If the travellers were willing to pay for the electricity/waste removal etc. then I don't think anyone would have a crib, what annoys me is the mentality that all the services should be provided at the expense of the taxpayer.

Bit like Bertie and his phone bill so. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Plautus wrote: »
    @irish_bobb

Who is behaving like that caricature of a 'woolly liberal ideologue'? None of the people Vincent interviewed had criminal records, to my knowledge :/ There's a difference between explaining the genesis of violence and excusing it. If anyone, nevermind a traveller, engages in thuggery then they must face the full weight of the law. And I like to think I'm coming here from the mainstream liberal milieu!

'Flying Hiace Vans' is a bit uncalled for.

browne not only seems baffled as to how anyone could have issue with travellers , he litterally berates the nation of tax payers on live tv for not being tollerant enough about this over indulged criminal sub class

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Plautus

No doubt, the traveller community has to balance its responsibilities with its rights-based expectations - but I think there's something of an obvious problem in the inflammatory rhetoric the traveller community generates.

I'm against criminality, not travellers.

You're labelling (or rather writing off) a lot of human beings as a criminal sub-class based on

a.) the evident criminality of some members of the sub-group
    b.) the fact that they do not reside in brick and mortar dwellings

I have big problems with throwaway comments like yours; mainly for lacking specificity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

irishh_bob wrote: »
    he litterally berates the nation of tax payers on live tv for not being tollerant enough about this over indulged criminal sub class

Still talking about Bertie and FF I see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

Typical Vincent Browne blinkered - vision crap.

A few observations:

1/ Settled people pay refuse charges, they don't get the council to 'clean up after them' (as pointed out by a previous poster)

2/ Settled people had difficulty getting out during the snow too!

3/ After bemoaning the lack of facilities, one of the traveller women said no, she didn't want to live in a house. Then an older member of her family said that they wanted better facilities while they awaited housing :confused:

4/ Nice Avensis, about 10 years newer than my car, but of course I'm just a "bigot" :rolleyes:

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Still talking about Bertie and FF I see.

yeah thats right , good ol bertie , fits anything anywhere , wonder if i could use him to plug my leaky roof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Amber Lamps

it is a poor argument that the kids don't go to school because they are discriminated against. nigerians are another minority and to their credit they make sure that their kids get an education. despite knowing their kids are going to have it a bit rough at school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Not impressed at all by this Kevin Cardiff guy... "the new job would be a doddle".... Well, if he has such a laissez-faire attitude to overcalculating the national debt by 3.6 Billion, I cant imagine much taxing him... I seriously have reservations about him "only finding out about the missing 3.6 Billion" last Friday week...

Government needs to put a foot down, show that things HAVE changed, and reassess this guy's suitability for the job... Otherwise it just continues the sort of lack of accountability that has us where we are..

No doubt, the traveller community has to balance its responsibilities with its rights-based expectations - but I think there's something of an obvious problem in the inflammatory rhetoric the traveller community generates.

I'm against criminality, not travellers.

You're labelling (or rather writing off) a lot of human beings as a criminal sub-class based on

a.) the evident criminality of some members of the sub-group
    b.) the fact that they do not reside in brick and mortar dwellings

I have big problems with throwaway comments like yours; mainly for lacking specificity.

800px-simpsons_angry_mob_copy.jpg

I think Cardiff could be Howlin's next big faux pas. Information like this coming out so close to the Court of Auditors confirmation hearings in Strasbourg is seriously bad news for the applicant. He'll have to do better than the weak responses he's given so far - otherwise he could very well be rejected by the panel.

First a failed referendum, now this ... whoopsie!

Edit: Who's that supposed to represent, me? I don't think it's my comments that resemble those of the angry mob :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭terrlobe

dkmedia wrote: »

This reflects disdain for a low socio income group. Fact: they are as a group poorer than us! Like everywhere you'll find a small number of rich ones. The ones that drive the 11-Land Rovers we hear about.
    You pay for your waste removal cos it's delivered to you as a service. For them it's not... they are inconvenienced by having to travel the other side of town and then pay at the skip... so they say **** it just dump it here cos they don't treat us with respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Not impressed at all by this Kevin Cardiff guy... "the new job would be a doddle".... Well, if he has such a les affairs attitude to overcalculating the national debt by 3.6 Billion, I cant imagine much taxing him... I seriously have reservations about him "only finding out about the missing 3.6 Billion" last Friday week...

Government needs to put a foot down, show that things HAVE changed, and reassess this guy's suitability for the job... Otherwise it just continues the sort of lack of accountability that has us where we are..

Do you mean 'Laissez-Faire', Jon? :confused:

Agree that he is not good enough for a promotion, though. Should be getting a reprimand at the very least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

WTF was that on the tv tonight. Some tinkers in their caravans decide x amount of years ago with x amount of children to "settle" in some field and then moan about not been provided a shower and other amenities? Have I missed something here???? If that is what that was about then VB can go and FúCK OFF.

• Advertisement

This reflects disdain for a low socio income group. Fact: they are as a group poorer than us! Like everywhere you'll find a small number of rich ones. The ones that drive the 11-Land Rovers we hear about.
    You pay for your waste removal cos it's delivered to you as a service. For them it's not... they are inconvenienced by having to travel the other side of town and then pay at the skip... so they say **** it just dump it here cos they don't treat us with respect.

so baschically what your saying is that the tax payer owes this culture and lifestyle a living and whatever perks and facilitys they want for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Amber Lamps

so they say **** it just dump it here cos they don't treat us with respect.

there's the problem. you started it mentality. what if they had of kept going to the other side of town with the rubbish, all the while fighting for the change for better services for their community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I think Cardiff could be Howlin's next big faux pas. Information like this coming out so close to the Court of Auditors confirmation hearings in Strasbourg is seriously bad news for the applicant.

I was listening to the newspaper headlines last Sunday with Finucane and guests, and they revealed that this missing 3.6 Billion only came to light when a journalist overhead two people from The Department Of Finance discussing it in the Shelbourne Hotel... Otherwise it would still be unknown...

Like I said above, I would have serious doubts about Cardiff's "lack of knowledge" of the 3.6 Billion ... especially given that it was pointed out to them by the NTMA ... I think it's seems to fit more than Cardiff wanted to keep it buried until he was away in the new job..

The fact that the Irish MEPs are distancing themselves from the appointment could indicate a rocky confirmation hearing to say the least. Kenny's special relationship with Merkel and the European People's Party won't count for jack if the candidate has such a big blot on his copybook.

Maire Geoheghan Quinn was apprehensive before her hearing for the Court of Auditor's job and she hadn't presided over a ****-up of anything like these proportions.

I was listening to the newspaper headlines last Sunday with Finucane and guests, and they revealed that this missing 3.6 Billion only came to light when a journalist overhead two people from The Department Of Finance discussing it in the Shelbourne Hotel... Otherwise it would still be unknown...

Like I said above, I would have serious doubts about Cardiff's "lack of knowledge" of the 3.6 Billion ... especially given that it was pointed out to them by the NTMA ... I think it's seems to fit more than Cardiff wanted to keep it buried until he was away in the new job..

Cardiff is not a great tinker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭terrlobe

red dave wrote: »
    WTF was that on the tv tonight. Some tinkers in their caravans decide x amount of years ago with x amount of children to "settle" in some field and then moan about not been provided a shower and other amenities? Have I missed something here???? If that is what that was about then VB can go and FúCK OFF.
    you fail to recognise their distinct cultural need to live with their own people is a less confined space. This is the crux of the blatant discrimination... they are different to us and need to get away from us in to a safe environment to heal their suffrage and thrive as a group. This however requires investment and their oppressors refuse to budge. Reminiscent of the Protestant Ascendancy attitude towards Catholics which we've all forgotten about.

you fail to recognise their distinct cultural need to live with their own people is a less confined space. This is the crux of the blatant discrimination... they are different to us and need to get away from us in to a safe environment to heal their suffrage and thrive as a group. This however requires investment and their oppressors refuse to budge. Reminiscent of the Protestant Ascendancy attitude towards Catholics which we've all forgotten about.

you have to be a troll , no one could be this much of a wooly liberal do gooder , next thing you will be telling us that its against thier culture to pay tax or insure a van

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dkmedia

they get welfare payments, childrens allowance, back to school allowance etc, its not like they have 0 income. Childrens allowance I'd imagine is quite high when you have 10 kids.

wooly liberal do gooder

Ah seriously now. Seriously. When did liberal become a dirty word outside of the United States?

• Advertisement

Ah seriously now. Seriously. When did liberal become a dirty word outside of the United States?

thier are different strains of liberalism

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement